PDA

View Full Version : My first Bab5 render...

Zippy
9th Jan 2008, 09:17 PM
Retextured the Battle Crab and set up a scene :D. Planet is from an upcoming tutorial I'm working on....

Meurig
10th Jan 2008, 02:59 AM
I very much like the colourscheme here, it has the makings of a great image I think.

One or two things I would change personally.

First up the angle of the crab. It doesn't seem to be going anywhere in particular, there is no motion blur so it looks stationary, and it's pointing away from the camera. Do you want it to look menacing? If yes, I think it needs to be put into more of a predatory pose, something that shows off just how freaky a design it is :D

I would tone down the bright highlights in the nebula just a wee bit, they're a tad overpowering. Otherwise that nebula is really very nice, and as I said before I love the colours.

I'd expect to see a bit more brown bounce light from the nebula onto the planet. I can see that theres some there already, but the nebula is really quite bright and the planet is very dark in contrast. Also the blue in the planet's atmosphere is clashing just a bit, I think. I'd either change the colour of the atmosphere, desaturate it, or just tone it down a little.

As I say, I really like where this has gone so far :)

Edit - Looking at it again I might be tempted to move the planet much closer to the camera also, so that it fills up a lot of the bottom left of the image. Planets are quite big, afterall :D

Zippy
10th Jan 2008, 08:40 AM
And here I thought that was the front of the ship... (listens to the B5ers gasping)

Good point about the planet. Thats what I get for being so focused on the Seinfeld eppisode on TV instead of my composition lol.

CAClark
10th Jan 2008, 09:08 AM
What Rhys said about the light on the planet is hat struck me first, along with the electric edges of the nebula.

I don't mind the battle crab facing away from the camera, they can look manacing either way with a little playing on the orientation.

I'd personally not worry about motion blur. It's over rated, not everything you photograph is motion blurred, why should everything be rendered so?

Cheers!

Airwolfnight
10th Jan 2008, 11:56 AM
This is very great I hope you make more from this^^

JackN
10th Jan 2008, 06:38 PM
The Battle Crab needs to be a little more to the left... ;)

j/k :D

Zippy
10th Jan 2008, 11:43 PM
Revised! I think the planet blends much better now and I've modified the nebula. BTW the stars are done in Texture Environment...

Crook
11th Jan 2008, 05:25 AM
Now that's looking pretty good! Love the BC, got to be one of the most original concepts in modern sci-fi, and perfect for the tone of the show. I like the nebula as it looks a lot like atmospheric clouds, but it's out of context as a space background and gives an uneasy feeling about the whole composition which is perfect for a shadow BC. That was quite an arty statement, and I apologise :)

HawkHart
11th Jan 2008, 10:30 AM
I've never seem my BC look so nice ;) Got to agree that there is an oddness about the scene that certainly adds to the overall picture. I like it :)

Artificial Imagination
11th Jan 2008, 10:52 AM
Now that deffinately has an eerie quality to it, almost as if the Shawdows are just begging you to attack :D

Absolutely my new desktop!

tommywright
11th Jan 2008, 12:51 PM
I would push that planet light over to camera right so it looks like the cloud is the primary light source. Then you can use the ship to silhouette the planet and the cloud. To add a little color contrast, you can place a cool light to rim the planet and the ship from camera left. That should pop them out away from the cloud.

It looks nice like it is.. that's just my 2 cents. If nothing else, the ship needs a contrasting color to pop it out.. like a cool colored thruster or deck light or something.

lint77
11th Jan 2008, 03:16 PM
looks good

JackN
11th Jan 2008, 06:51 PM
That Shadow design has always been creepy...

Space Spiders! Then there's that really creepy scream that accompanies them in Franke's music scores!

*shivers*

Kayden
6th Mar 2008, 05:07 PM
That looks nice it really does, by chance do you have a higher res image?

eboli
7th Apr 2008, 11:13 PM
Looking very nice. Colour choices were ideal for this. WEll done!

dojo01
8th Apr 2008, 06:39 AM
Very nice!

Love that show.

yoruichi
10th Apr 2008, 10:01 PM
The revised pic looks very awesome! Reminds me of the B5 episodes where Sheridan went to Z'ha'dum. It's very dark and mysterious looking- perfect for the Shadows.

Amras
11th Apr 2008, 04:20 AM
Would be interesting to see how you made the shadow texture. With shaders? Looks realy good!

nazomizaza
15th Apr 2008, 06:08 AM
well done bdy

Olikir
23rd Apr 2008, 02:49 PM
Its simple beautyful... the textures the mesh the background.. all perfect!

BasiliskAce
23rd Apr 2008, 05:06 PM
@Zippy,
First Rendering Comment: Good start, they nebula behind it looks too "firey"...
Second Rendering Comment: I like the improved lighting anf background nebula (less "firey" then the first rendering image.) Its gives off some feeling of sneakiness to the Shadow Battlecrab. Keep up the great renderings.

smulvey
29th Apr 2008, 08:16 AM
Nice work, B5 seems to get less and less attention compared to some newer sci-fi shows, but it is still one of the best ever.

SteveCampsOut
30th Apr 2008, 05:00 PM
Revised! I think the planet blends much better now and I've modified the nebula. BTW the stars are done in Texture Environment...

That Nebula looks photo graphic almost. :eek:

virendras
26th Jun 2008, 07:29 AM
Yeah, I agree, the second one is much better. The Nebula is amazing in that one

Rikalonius
26th Jun 2008, 12:33 PM
I love the image, but I'm no fan of B5 ships. That whole procedural texture, mashed prims modeling was bold, but not ready for broadcast. I like B5 too, but it's hard to watch because limited color palettes of the time really hinder the images, and the ship designs. They should have used scale models. Your version is far better than the images the show used.

I know it seemed like a great idea, and I'm sure the rich interior stage scences benifited from the savings, but 3D really wasn't to the point that it was ready to that medium.

Rik

Amras
26th Jun 2008, 04:09 PM
I love the image, but I'm no fan of B5 ships. That whole procedural texture, mashed prims modeling was bold, but not ready for broadcast. I like B5 too, but it's hard to watch because limited color palettes of the time really hinder the images, and the ship designs. They should have used scale models. Your version is far better than the images the show used.

I know it seemed like a great idea, and I'm sure the rich interior stage scences benifited from the savings, but 3D really wasn't to the point that it was ready to that medium.

Rik

Well, i think it's purely a matter of taste.
At that time, it was fantastic for me! :)

Meurig
26th Jun 2008, 06:39 PM

Easy to say with the benefit of hindsight. For their time the effects were pretty fantastic. Get people to look back at shows like BSG in 10 years time and I'm sure you'd hear plenty of 'What were they thinking?' type lines. I say that about some particularly dodgy shots in it already.

deg3D
26th Jun 2008, 06:52 PM

Rik

Oh I agree, I love B5 as I love sci-fi, but the (procedural) painting (which screams CG to me) on the ships was atrocious.

However, and a BIG HOWEVER, that was the state-of-the-art at the time, and pretty much a never-done-before state at that to boot, and we would not be where we are now if Thornton and his gang had not taken those first steps and basically started much of the journey as it is, that we are all now on.

It's easy to judge and discard by today's comparison, but you have to keep things in their proper perspective IMO eh. They were quite literately breaking ground and spear-heading CG vfx way ahead of their time.

Shot looks pretty good Zippy. It's a bit too monochromatic for my tastes though. Needs more color zip IMO.

deg

Magnus81
27th Jun 2008, 12:01 AM
looks pretty good.

Zippy
29th Jun 2008, 11:57 AM
From what I remember I used minimal lighting on the Shadow itself. The main reason it looks monochromatic is due to the fact I used reflections to get the lighting onto the Shadow.
Beyond that I can't really remember what I did in the scene. As my computer is currently in pieces on my desk I can't check lol.

vaifx
7th Jul 2008, 11:00 AM
very good model and texture. picture is good ,but would like to make some suggestions if i may: 1 change angle of shadow ship to 45* left to right in order to creat dynamic composition in contrast to back ground angle.
:2 darken planet and shadow ship then brighten nebula hot spots to highlite contrast. :3 creat hot spot orange glows in nebula and brighter highlite glow on shadow ship to harmonise picture atmosphere and mood.