PDA

View Full Version : Ringed blue gas giant

Starbase1
4th Nov 2010, 05:19 PM
A version of this appeared as a finished item, which shows you how much I know!

I redid the main map of the planet, which had some problems. This one is a lot simpler - I found that by taking a map of Jupiter, turning it negative, and making some minor tuning changes, (and painting out the Great Red Spot) I got something which looked better to my eye.

Also changed here, I replaced the colour on the rings, (which was very subdued for realism), with a spectrum. This because people said they thought the colour should be stronger, which I guess is OK for SF!

The rings are done in the diffuse channel, separate from the colour, and have a LOT more detail than shows in these shots.

One moon is done in detail, the other just have simple blotches for distant views.

Elowan
5th Nov 2010, 10:02 AM
Nice job

DigitalOrigami
5th Nov 2010, 06:17 PM
That looks very cool (no pun intended. Much.) :)

Starbase1
6th Nov 2010, 04:03 AM
I've tried to make it easy to adjust the rings too - here are a few examples.

The first is a straight render.
The second I used inverted images for 2 of the ring maps, and faded the saturation on the colour map in Lightwave
The third I flipped one map, shifted the diffuse map at random, and used a one pixel strip from a photo of a desert for the colour map.
By having the fine ring structure in the diffuse channel, it becomes very easy to adjust the ring colouring,in many cases just by tweaking a slider in image edit within lightwave.

If someone involved in compiling the finished project has any requests, I'm happy to hear them - anything in the way of a holder scene, specific renders, or something? Is there a target resolution for the final product?

Starbase1
9th Nov 2010, 12:27 AM
HD animation, flying by the planet and moons.

Adam
9th Nov 2010, 03:14 PM
That looks really nice. The only thing that really bothers me is the shadow cast by the rings on the upper part of the planet, it seems really harsh and breaks up the beautiful texture of the planet. I'm not really sure about the real physics of how the light would play off that but there's always artistic discretion. :p

Starbase1
10th Nov 2010, 06:08 AM
That looks really nice. The only thing that really bothers me is the shadow cast by the rings on the upper part of the planet, it seems really harsh and breaks up the beautiful texture of the planet. I'm not really sure about the real physics of how the light would play off that but there's always artistic discretion. :p

Thanks for the feedback!

I think its fairly realistic - its based on my Saturn model. If you want to see Saturn shots for real, take a look at the wonderful Cassini site here:

http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/photos/?category=5

The Sun recently passed through the ring plane, so the newest images are with a low angle of illumination.

Or there's this:

Adam
10th Nov 2010, 02:19 PM
I see. Thanks for the reference.

Starbase1
10th Nov 2010, 02:50 PM
Thank you for the feedback!