PDA

View Full Version : Node textures and UV on glass

The Sleeping Dog
26th Nov 2010, 04:40 PM
I followed the advice given by tobian in this post
http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9484&highlight=glass

however I cannot get the it to work

the effect I am trying to create using nodes and dialectric for glass is to uv map text onto a glass surface...

but the only result I achieve is sold grey or transparency without any visible text.
I've tried different combinations of image map and color, transparency etc using node but nadda

I can get this to work the traditional method but would prefer to use nodes of traditional method

LW 10

tobian
26th Nov 2010, 05:56 PM
Show your nodes and the render, so we can see what's going wrong. You're probably making a simple error, or the alpha is not quite right.

The Sleeping Dog
26th Nov 2010, 09:07 PM
the setup

I've tried jpg images and png bitmap types

www.eastcoastcreative.ca/images2/a.jpg

tobian
27th Nov 2010, 06:35 AM
Hmm puzzling. You seem to have the right setup, the preview is showing correctly, so it should work but I don't know. Have you tried saving out the alpha as a separate image, just in case LW is getting confused? PNG is a good format, JPEG should NEVER be used for stuff like that because of saving errors (and it doesn't support alpha channels either, which would be a problem!) LW can be funny about alpha channels sometimes, so I prefer to keep them as separate files.

The Sleeping Dog
27th Nov 2010, 07:07 AM
well that's just wonderful news.......thank you for the help

Starbase1
2nd Dec 2010, 09:53 AM
A general tip, often handy with text.

There are often multiple channels you can apply it in, which can make life simple! For example I often apply black text (done with a transparent background as a PSD format) in the 'diffuse', which means I can have seperate channels for the colour, which means I don't have to worry about how they overlay.