PDA

View Full Version : Simple Robot

RoX
12th Jan 2008, 11:57 PM
I haven't posted anything in ages... really. Mainly because I never finish anything but I started one of those personal projects / exercises a week ago and had some time to work on it in the last few days. It will be a simple animation (and I'll post it in the animations thread if i like it when its done :) ), but I thought I'd post of a frame after I had set up the lighting.

Initially I wanted to make a baby robot but it eventually turned into this. So here is a quick lighting setup. He is being "beamed" down from a spaceship.

Right now his forearms are not round and I may go in and edit that because it bugs me in this shot, but I have spent most of the time so far animating.

Anyway, critique away!

BillS
13th Jan 2008, 09:36 AM
God he went from baby to a mean looking little bugger, didn't he.

Are the "sparkles" part of the beaming process? Might be different in an animation but they don't work well on a still.

RoX
13th Jan 2008, 06:27 PM
Lol, those are stars in the background. They're just a texture on a dome.

BillS
13th Jan 2008, 06:55 PM
Hmm then they are backwards. They show up strongest in the bright light and hardly show at all where its darker.

RoX
13th Jan 2008, 08:37 PM
Yeah, hmm. I didn't set up any special ways of rendering them there, its just lightwave's real lens camera settings. I like the way the irradience falloff matches some of my real footage so I use it all the time. The volumetrics do enhance them though and perhaps they should not. I'll look into it but I am not sure what I can do without fading out the BG textures manually.

Tarus
4th Feb 2008, 10:16 AM
Rachet & Clank^^

SevenOfEleven
9th Mar 2008, 03:13 PM
Bot looks great.

Mikala
9th Mar 2008, 03:46 PM
Need some more of them to have a game of hoops though!

safetyman
25th Mar 2008, 01:15 PM
Great concept!