PDA

View Full Version : Sundaughters

KnightRider
25th Jan 2008, 11:24 AM
Enterprise by Dennis Bailey
Excelsior by Igor Bremec
Backgound by NASA, posted by JackN (thank you for posting, it inspired me a lot)

bmckain
25th Jan 2008, 11:36 AM
Nice image but I believe the backdrop may actually be from NASA. Jack was just letting members know about them.

KnightRider
25th Jan 2008, 12:20 PM
Nice image but I believe the backdrop may actually be from NASA. Jack was just letting members know about them.

OK, I'll edit it.

DELTA
25th Jan 2008, 12:26 PM
Love the setting. Nice image

Taranis
25th Jan 2008, 12:28 PM
Sweet .. love the image

Elowan
25th Jan 2008, 01:46 PM
Backgound by NASA, posted by JackN (thank you for posting, it inspired me a lot)

Where was the background posted?

Rigel
25th Jan 2008, 03:06 PM
It's a nice picture, but I think the colour on the ships is off. That colour is what one would expect to see on objects in the atmosphere, i.e. buildings, planes etc. Ships sitting above the atmosphere would be receiving unfiltered sunlight and would not be coloured like that.

KnightRider
25th Jan 2008, 05:22 PM
Where was the background posted?

In the Photo Corner section...

Tovette
25th Jan 2008, 05:28 PM
That's hot. I love the angle with the Earth filling the shot, really adds to the feeling that the ships are floating up high in orbit.

JackN
25th Jan 2008, 07:56 PM
It's a nice picture, but I think the colour on the ships is off. That colour is what one would expect to see on objects in the atmosphere, i.e. buildings, planes etc. Ships sitting above the atmosphere would be receiving unfiltered sunlight and would not be coloured like that.

True, but in this case since the source of light (Sol) is probably being filtered through the Earths atmosphere at such a low angle on the horizon I find it believable that the same color would be found on the ships in orbit.

JMO of course... ;)

And you're welcome would probably be too much for me to say since I only posted them from a NASA site myself, so it's not like I have any credit in this ... ;)

CrippledPidgeon
28th Jan 2008, 01:39 AM
I'm with JackN here. It's entirely plausible that the ships are sitting in the penumbra of the earth kinda like what happens during a partial lunar eclipse.

Although honestly, I tend to be the type who goes for artistic lighting over what would be literal based on objects in the image. As long as it doesn't obviously contradict what's in frame and it looks good, I tend to go for it :/

So yea, I like the golden glow on the starships far more than if they were bright white with the planet gold.

DeltaZ
28th Jan 2008, 03:53 AM
Awesome work! Really nice render to, impressive. A couple of things that come to mind. Maybe use the Background Radiosity, Add a Textured Enviroment, Spherical and use the background you have now.. and activate Radiosity with Background Radiosity. Then maybe a little blur and grain to match the background to make it more to match. /DeltaZ

Oscaron
28th Jan 2008, 09:03 AM
We could argue the reality of light exposure all week, but we have to admit it's an attractive piece of work.

Rigel
28th Jan 2008, 11:38 AM
Oh absolutely, it is a beautiful piece.

Matt
28th Jan 2008, 08:40 PM
I'm with JackN here. It's entirely plausible that the ships are sitting in the penumbra of the earth kinda like what happens during a partial lunar eclipse.

Although honestly, I tend to be the type who goes for artistic lighting over what would be literal based on objects in the image. As long as it doesn't obviously contradict what's in frame and it looks good, I tend to go for it :/

So yea, I like the golden glow on the starships far more than if they were bright white with the planet gold.

Couldn't agree more here... I will always tend to go for what looks good rather than what it technically correct as long as its not too much of a glaring contradiction. Still a nice piece... :)

Matt
28th Jan 2008, 08:42 PM
Awesome work! Really nice render to, impressive. A couple of things that come to mind. Maybe use the Background Radiosity, Add a Textured Enviroment, Spherical and use the background you have now.. and activate Radiosity with Background Radiosity. Then maybe a little blur and grain to match the background to make it more to match. /DeltaZ

Radiosity in a space scene is not really necessary nor will there be any discernible difference to the image in most cases... and in some cases can look quite crappy. Not to mention the extra hit (however slight using bg radiosity) on the render times...

Mechmonkey
29th Jan 2008, 12:59 AM
Oh nice me like :D

Dennis Bailey
11th Mar 2008, 11:08 AM
Great work.

CAClark
11th Mar 2008, 11:38 AM

Sometimes you just gotta let your eye take a feed aheadof your brain. Arguably for art it should be the eye before the brain anyway.

Cheers!

lonewriter
11th Mar 2008, 01:42 PM
Love it.

Mook
12th Mar 2008, 05:27 AM
That is exquisite! I'm in love with this picture! Any chance I could get a render at 1280x1024? That's my screen res... :P
Agreed. That's the only thing I noticed; other than the colour, the lighting is exquisite! Head to www.nasa.gov (http://www.nasa.gov) and just browse around for images of space shuttles etc to get an idea of what colour the light is.
Whether or not you change the lighting, it's still an amazing picture. Very well done!

jboul99
16th Mar 2008, 12:44 AM
Very nice

Lios
16th Mar 2008, 05:18 AM
Good work ;)

darkstar240261
2nd May 2008, 11:16 AM
nice lighting work

yoruichi
6th May 2008, 01:05 AM
The nacelles don't seem lit up enough and the lighting seems dull in some spots. Some motion blur may have been a nice touch to add a sense of motion. I like the concept though - looks nice and serene.

Lord Embo
6th May 2008, 09:08 AM
i like it

jtk69
17th May 2008, 12:11 AM
Nice image !

the bishop
17th May 2008, 11:39 AM
that's fantastic!