PDA

View Full Version : Jan/08 Texture Challenge Poll

BillS
28th Jan 2008, 05:16 PM
Good day eh! (Sorry, couldn't resist :) ) And welcome to the first running of the TC poll since the move to F3D. Its been exciting watching all the entries come in over the month, but as the highlander said. "There can be only one." So now its upto you to browse though the eight entries and vote on who you think did the best job of texturing it.

Its close... but I think we'll keep it to one vote each for now.

Here is what you have to choose from!

4567 4568 4569
4570 4571 4572
4573 4574

Meurig
28th Jan 2008, 05:21 PM
Nice entries all round, and the award for weirdness definitely goes to Cthulhu with what looks like a barrel full of bubble mixture ;)

My vote has to go to Moosedog though, very nice result there.

bmckain
28th Jan 2008, 06:48 PM
Arrgghhh!!! That was tough, it came down to two for me and I finally had to choose the one by Animasta, Moosedog was my second choice. Both had their redeeming qualities and I have to say the reflection on Moosedog's water is quite nice.

JackN
28th Jan 2008, 07:57 PM
Animasta made the version I would have made less the water surface like it was. ;)

Crook got my vote although the image is dark on my monitor. You know I visited the JD still down in Lynchburg late last year.

;)

It's amazing to me the mileage that Cedar Fence Texture can get.

:crazy:

Matt
28th Jan 2008, 08:11 PM
Came down to a choice of 3 for me, Bill's, Crook's and Animasta's... my choice though went to Crook since his one had all round great qualities that I wanted and expected to see on this object.

Great work on this one guys... :)

MooseDog
28th Jan 2008, 08:58 PM
Crook got my vote, despite barely being able to see it. Shift-L>P :D

DELTA
28th Jan 2008, 09:03 PM
I liked that DELTA fellows, but I voted for someone else's...LOL

We should add what app. package was used to render the finals in...

CoryC
28th Jan 2008, 10:06 PM
I should have paid better attention to the due date. I started but thought I had a few days to finish. That will learn me.

I went back and forth between Animasta and Moosedog but what finally pushed me to Moosedog was that it looks like he textured each of the original 40 wood pieces in the barrel. Animasti's barrel looks to be a cylindrical texture of 20 boards and that causes it to lose the edge detailing.

I am suprised by how many people turned the top poly into water. I thought I was coming up with something different when I did it.

jorjo
28th Jan 2008, 10:17 PM
Evolution :tu:

Cybit
28th Jan 2008, 10:25 PM
They are all good, but I had a hard time deciding between Animasta, Moosedog and Crook....Crook won out because his looks pretty darn close to the Jack barrels I remember seeing at the distillery. ;)

David Myers
29th Jan 2008, 12:26 AM
[quote=Meurig;19764]Nice entries all round, and the award for weirdness definitely goes to Cthulhu with what looks like a barrel full of bubble mixture ;)

Its a Kryptonite Crystal Brine Barrel (for growing Kryptonite crystals). Its the continuing nefarious work of Luthurcorp Inc. (see "Smallville"),
so they can continue to produce bizarre weapons and mutations even if they run out of meteor rock.:)

Rigel
29th Jan 2008, 06:52 AM
Chtulu's picture is a nasty looking concoction and I don't want to know what's in it.

The barrels that have lids in them are interesting. I looked at the model and immediately thought "water", especially because the inside of the barrel was modelled.

But it's the water in Evolution's barrel that snagged my vote. He really captured the look of a barrel full of water.

Good job all around folks.

Tony Gardner
29th Jan 2008, 09:38 AM
Animasta got my vote for being the best overall IMO, but I also really liked Evolution's one (who I think had the most realistic water).

BillS
29th Jan 2008, 07:23 PM
She's gonna be a close one folks!

DELTA
30th Jan 2008, 03:04 PM
She's gonna be a close one folks!

For some.... others, not so much....
Nice work from everyone.... can't wait for the next one :)

BillS
30th Jan 2008, 04:41 PM
For some.... others, not so much....
Nice work from everyone.... can't wait for the next one :)

Tis all part o the fun me boy. :)

Crook
30th Jan 2008, 05:09 PM
I think my monitors might be too old, and I've got them set too bright, so apologies for the dark image of my entry. They are old 19" crt's, and I've calibrated them as best I can. Maybe next time I'd put them on a grey background. Out of all the entries I think Cthulu's is the most original. What a barrel of wierdness :)

BillS
30th Jan 2008, 05:41 PM
And also the reason that we never see superman around here anymore... :(

DELTA
30th Jan 2008, 06:32 PM
Tis all part o the fun me boy. :)

Tis True Tis True..lol ;)

What's next? :)

David Myers
30th Jan 2008, 08:09 PM
Thanks Crook. I'm going to finish up an animation of that bubbling brew and when finally satisfied I'll post it in the finished animations thread. It was a very interesting exercise - trying to create a three diminsional texture by using 2 flat surfaces, transparency, refraction, ripples, and underwater animated textures, an HDRImage for reflection, plus hypervoxel bubbles to make an empty space appear to be three dimensional - the barrel slats lines being refracted really helped to give it depth.:crazy: Ha - finally got to use this smiley!;)

Animasta
1st Feb 2008, 01:10 AM
Thank you everyone who is voting for me :)

Man, so many great entries, good luck everyone :D

bmckain
1st Feb 2008, 07:53 PM
This is getting to be like a horse race. :)

MooseDog
1st Feb 2008, 09:08 PM
yeaahhh! you go moosedog! comin' 'round the outside, pickin' up a good head of steam! closing in for the WIN!!

:eek:

one word: talisker.

great field here, wtg!

bmckain
1st Feb 2008, 09:12 PM
yeaahhh! you go moosedog! comin' 'round the outside, pickin' up a good head of steam! closing in for the WIN!!

And it's "Girdle in the stretch!" :rolleyes: :crazy:

Sorry, really old but couldn't resist.

BillS
2nd Feb 2008, 07:06 AM
And coming into turn 4 Crook makes it to the inside and noses paste Animasta with Moosedog less than a length behind!!!

Get the camera out... this is going to be a photo finish!

JackN
2nd Feb 2008, 10:53 AM
Good thing it's not like a NASCAR race...

"Look they're makin' another Left Turn!!!!"

Animasta
3rd Feb 2008, 05:24 PM
This was pretty close, thank you all who voted for me :)

Lewis
4th Feb 2008, 01:50 AM
Very good renders there. Animasta made it look very cool wiht tha tnice wood texture. If only is WINE in barrel it would be perfect then ;).

Crook
4th Feb 2008, 02:14 AM
Congrats all round to those who got involved :)

David Myers
4th Feb 2008, 02:59 AM
Yes, congrats to both Animasta and Crook. Wish we would have had 2 or 3 votes to cast.
I posted the Kryptonite Brine Barrel animation in the finished animations forum tonight, for any who might want to see that bubbling brine in action.:cool:
David Myers

Crook
4th Feb 2008, 01:39 PM
Oh and I forgot to mention that it's a shame that there were not hundreds of votes cast. It makes me feel kind of sorry for the guys who got 1 and 0 votes. Honestly, every entry here has merit.

BillS
4th Feb 2008, 07:00 PM
Just got back from out of town. Way to go Animasta. And congrats to all the rest it was a hell of a race though.

@Animasta. I'm afraid that I don't have much of a library of objects for you to choose from. So if you know of any simple ones laying around the net. Let me know. I'll PM you tomorrow so we can get the next one kicked off.

Animasta
4th Feb 2008, 07:31 PM

objects for what?

JackN
4th Feb 2008, 07:38 PM

objects for what?

It's tradition for the winner to pick the next object for the next months contest. ;)

Animasta
4th Feb 2008, 07:41 PM
It's tradition for the winner to pick the next object for the next months contest. ;)

Oh, nice :)

I'll think of something by tomorrow :)

Rigel
4th Feb 2008, 08:47 PM
Congratulations Animasta.

And job well done to everyone!

FlangEG
4th Feb 2008, 10:33 PM
Crook and Animasta get my votes

DELTA
4th Feb 2008, 10:54 PM
congrats, my vote stuck :)

BillS
6th Feb 2008, 08:00 PM
Better late than never. :)
http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1442

wi7_keren
15th Aug 2008, 02:23 AM
i like 2 of this people animasta en crook,
for animasta ---> the water why the texture like in the river (the flow)

MadMax14
29th Jan 2009, 10:46 PM
Doouuugghh!... Been away too long. Good stuff you all, I see most of you are still in the texturing buzz heheh. Well if I can manage some spare time (really hard to come by lately) I'm up for the next challenge. Gald to be back ;)

MadMax14
29th Jan 2009, 11:00 PM
Oh, and sorry I just missed out on the poll... I would have voted for "Jack Daniel's" (Crook's) version, other than the fact I love JD whiskey, I think the texturing is pretty well done, but maybe the overall lighting needs a little brightness.
Good job though... Can we stick a tap into that now that the poll is over? (My shout) :)

JackN
1st Feb 2009, 09:48 AM
Sorry to burst your baloon of happiness, but that was last year, not this year... ;)