PDA

View Full Version : Visit to Andorea

Neophite
5th Feb 2008, 03:42 PM
Another in a series of image files I have done here the NX-01 is in orbit around Andorea and the shuttle craft is on it's way to the surface......so......Yes, Rigel... Poser can do starships...... by the way, the first post ( Commisioning) is done with the Firefly Render Engine and a low raytrace setting and this is done with Firefly and a higher raytrace setting....any better?????

ronaldheld
6th Feb 2008, 04:39 AM
You mean Andoria, the home world of Shran

Neophite
6th Feb 2008, 05:05 AM
That is one way to spell Andorea.......you might also spell it Andooreyah.......since it is a fantasy realm spelling is meaningless..... no cogent comments??????

The Animaniac
6th Feb 2008, 05:11 AM
You have a Huge Phong-Shading-Problem at your NX!

Rigel
6th Feb 2008, 06:48 AM
This image does look better.

Neophite
6th Feb 2008, 10:29 AM
The Animaniac "You have a Huge Phong-Shading-Problem at your NX! "

Nice to know...........could you be more specific and less jargon oriented....... since I am still relatively new at this I am not sure if you are trying to be helpful or just being sarcastic...... appreciate the help if I can understand it........

Zippy
6th Feb 2008, 11:59 AM
I think he means the smooting errors on the bottom of the Enterprise. Essentially it's due to the object not blocking all the light which is hitting from that angle, as well the smoothing angle makes it look more like a lump of clay than a starship.

When you point a spotlight fromat an object with details behind it the detail doesn't show light coming from the top. This is generally due to shadowing.

I've rendered up a couple shots to show what I mean.

The first image has no shadows turned on. The darkness is only due to there being no light pointed at it from that angle. You can in turn see the side of every panel on the bump map and detail which should be covered in darkness.

The second image has shadows turned on and the details hidden.

If you're wanting to show the underside detail at the same time you could add a soft light shining one the dark side of the ship in the opposite direction. That way it doesn't detract from the main light but doesn't leave the ship blending into the blackness. As well you get to see more of the detail :D. See third image.

One question... are there textures on the ship or is is an untextured model?
A general comment though is that you may have better luck with lighting, surfacing, as well as rendering in Cinema4d (which you have listed as an app you use). It wouldn't hurt to check out the capabilities of the other apps.

As well a higher raytrace value won't do you much good if you don't work on the scene as a whole. Over all I'm impressed that Poser can even do this, however you've got alot of work to do :). Keep working at it and you'll get to where you want to be eventually.

Some poser based lighting tutorials are on the poser homepage if you haven't already read them.--> http://graphics.smithmicro.com/article/archive/329/

I hope my post was understandable.

Neophite
6th Feb 2008, 03:47 PM
Zippy "I hope my post was understandable."

Not only was it understandable it was extremely helpful. Yes the render was done with shadows off and the model has texture issues that derive from the translation of the model from the LWO format to OBJ format. Since I am just beginning I have not yet branched out into other programs even though I have them.... I have even used Lightwave at one point (had a demo version) mostly I am learning those programs by translating models into a Poser format (OBJ) to learn the interface and my own learning curve on the program. For the moment Poser is the program I use. As my moniker suggests I am new at this......Poser I have used for a year and 3ds max, C4d are only recent additions. I am glad to have found a forum that allows me to stretch my understanding and hopefully I have not offended The Animaniac to a point where he won't share his insights........