PDA

View Full Version : deg3D_Heli-Jet_modo-to-LightWave/Vista-to-Mac

deg3D
10th Feb 2008, 04:04 PM
Using my Heli-Jet I finally set up a stable and streamlined modo-to-LightWave and Mac-to-Vista and/or Vista-to-Mac pipeline for myself and this is the first render using FPrime 3.1 to come out of its month-long development and implementation.

This same mesh BTW is being used by Luxology to work out a number of very nasty issues I found in modo 301 as far as the Shader Tree and Renderer go, in as far as dealing with complicated mesh, both geo-wise and painting-wise. These issues should be worked out come v.302. (Good goin' guys! ;))

Looks pretty good IMO and these are my scaled-down 2K maps for mid-long and/or moving shots. Would probably look even better with the 4Ks but I was too lazy to swap 'em out. :D

deg

Rigel
10th Feb 2008, 05:13 PM
That looks sweet deg. I've loved this model from the very start.

Also, good on you for loaning it to Luxology to help them refine Modo.

JackN
10th Feb 2008, 07:12 PM
It's missing a windshield wiper... (unless it works in clear skies and bug free environments... :p

Elowan
10th Feb 2008, 07:18 PM
Damned nice! And damn - I'm drooling all over my keyboard!

gpdesigner
10th Feb 2008, 08:52 PM
Love the model deg . . . good work bro, I see you did a revamp how long did it take you?
gp

deg3D
11th Feb 2008, 08:36 AM
Thanks guys. :)

It's missing a windshield wiper... (unless it works in clear skies and bug free environments... :p

LOL, that had occurred to me Jack, esp. given the size of the windscreen, but then I got tired of lookin' at the mesh, and since Ron Cobb didn't put one in I (conveniently) reasoned there must be some sort of heated shield glass that evaporated water on contact. :D I may put one in as it has still been buggin' (pun intended) me.

Love the model deg . . . good work bro, I see you did a revamp how long did it take you?
gp

Well dude, between getting the pipeline set-up, it actually took me about a day and a half to rework out some of the surfaces, esp. the brushed-metal, like on the landing-gear. The actual paint job is all UV/maps so that was just a matter of adjusting opacities and such, as LightWave and FPrime render a bit darker than modo does. BTW, LightWave's Nodes rock IMO.

Thanks again guys, now off to finally finish off the flight-deck that goes with her, and back onto other projects like E, and a T-16 I saw in my Art of Star Wars desk calendar on the 6th.

God I have missed the actual creation of art as opposed to the art of playing system administrator for a month.

deg

reg
11th Feb 2008, 09:31 PM
Now that's a great looking model. I love the realistic lighting. Koool.

reg

Bells of Freedom
11th Feb 2008, 11:13 PM
I love the detail, and shine of the landing gear, as well as the little light on the nose of the ship. Awesome work.

JackN
12th Feb 2008, 07:34 PM
That "W" is the Weyland-Yutani logo from Aliens right? :)

deg3D
13th Feb 2008, 09:54 AM
That "W" is the Weyland-Yutani logo from Aliens right? :)

Indeed, you are correct sir. It's also bigger across the tail, which you can see in the original modo renders here (http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/showthread.php?t=675).

deg

deg3D
13th Feb 2008, 09:59 AM
Now that's a great looking model. I love the realistic lighting. Koool.

reg

I love the detail, and shine of the landing gear, as well as the little light on the nose of the ship. Awesome work.

And thanks for the nice comments guys. :)

deg

waxxel
13th Feb 2008, 10:34 AM
I really like it, beautiful model.

CAClark
13th Feb 2008, 11:19 AM
What exactly do you mean by vista->mac and mac->vista pipleline?

Cheers!

deg3D
13th Feb 2008, 12:21 PM
I really like it, beautiful model.

Thanks dude. :)

What exactly do you mean by vista->mac and mac->vista pipleline?

Cheers!

I now have Leopard w/Bootcamp running Vista-64 on my Mac Pro. However, Vista-64 can't see Mac formatted hard-drives, and MacDrive 7 does not support Leopard, so I had to set up a Fat32 partition that each OS could see back and forth. Down side still is you have to re-boot back and forth if you want to grab files from either side.

The sole reason I set up Vista-64, was so that I could use FPrime, to do all my surfacing and lighting, and then come back to Leopard UB to render, as the UB renders faster than Vista-64 (in my experience).

Once Worley finally gets a UB FPrime, I will never go back into Vista, unless I have to.

deg

Gillinator
13th Feb 2008, 12:41 PM
Cool ship!