PDA

View Full Version : Can you set the range of a luminous surface in LW?

DELTA
25th May 2013, 08:44 AM
I am rendering 2 objects that are next to each other and the luminosity from part of one is blowing out the surface if the other... I can turn down the luminosity of the one, but than the first object looks off... :confused:

Rigel
25th May 2013, 01:24 PM
How about applying a gradient to the luminosity channel?

How about a picture as I'm not entirely sure I understand what you're trying to do.

DELTA
25th May 2013, 01:45 PM
How about applying a gradient to the luminosity channel?

How about a picture as I'm not entirely sure I understand what you're trying to do.

Low res for faster rendering... Look at the colors shining onto the A from the TOS.

Tony Gardner
25th May 2013, 02:22 PM
Render them in separate passes and then composite them together.

DELTA
25th May 2013, 03:05 PM
Made a few changes.

@Tony Gardner: Render them in separate passes and then composite them together.

The ships overlap a bit, so I think I would have shadow issues...

This ones a bit to bright.

Tony Gardner
25th May 2013, 03:41 PM
...The ships overlap a bit, so I think I would have shadow issues...

I'm not sure but I think in LW there is a setting you can use to turn off the surfaces for an object. I think it's in object properties, something about making the object a matte.

If it works as I think it does you could turn off all the ships except the one you want in the pass and the others would still cast shadows but not light from luminous surfaces.

DELTA
25th May 2013, 03:53 PM
I'm not sure but I think in LW there is a setting you can use to turn off the surfaces for an object. I think it's in object properties, something about making the object a matte.

If it works as I think it does you could turn off all the ships except the one you want in the pass and the others would still cast shadows but not light from luminous surfaces.

I will see if I can find it and try it, thanks.

CrippledPidgeon
26th May 2013, 05:25 PM
Is the bussard glow being controlled by the luminosity of the surface, or are there lights inside?

DELTA
26th May 2013, 11:03 PM
Is the bussard glow being controlled by the luminosity of the surface, or are there lights inside?

Luminosity, anywhere from a 1000 to 3000

Rigel
27th May 2013, 07:38 AM
As far as I know Delta, you cannot set a range for a luminous surface, you can only do that for a light.

I wonder if putting a large polygon between the ships and setting it to Unseen by Camera would block the light?

Tony Gardner
27th May 2013, 08:49 AM
As far as I know Delta, you cannot set a range for a luminous surface, you can only do that for a light.

I wonder if putting a large polygon between the ships and setting it to Unseen by Camera would block the light?

Probably but it would cause more problems with shadows

Rigel
27th May 2013, 10:31 AM
Hmmm. I just tried to reproduce this using two cubes sitting 8 metres apart. The cubes are 3 cubic metres each. One was luminosity 200% the other was not luminous. It did not pick up the colour. I tried giving it a reflective surface up to 80% and still it would not pick up the colour. So I turned on radiosity and nope, the non-luminous cube did not pick up the colour.

So now I'm wondering what settings you used that are causing this happen in your image. After all, those ships have to be dozens of metres apart, perhaps as much as 100 metres. My cubes are only 4 metres apart and don't show this happening.

CrippledPidgeon
27th May 2013, 05:27 PM
Hmmm. I just tried to reproduce this using two cubes sitting 8 metres apart. The cubes are 3 cubic metres each. One was luminosity 200% the other was not luminous. It did not pick up the colour. I tried giving it a reflective surface up to 80% and still it would not pick up the colour. So I turned on radiosity and nope, the non-luminous cube did not pick up the colour.

So now I'm wondering what settings you used that are causing this happen in your image. After all, those ships have to be dozens of metres apart, perhaps as much as 100 metres. My cubes are only 4 metres apart and don't show this happening.

I don't have LW in front of me, but Delta said that he has luminosity set at 1000-3000%. I've never set luminosity that high, so I have no idea what would happen in terms of falloff distance.

What if you put spheres (with normals pointed in) around just the bussards to block the rays, and set it unseen by camera?

DELTA
27th May 2013, 05:42 PM
I will have to experiment with it... Thanks guys for the help.

Rigel
28th May 2013, 08:13 AM
A sphere around the nacelle sounds like a good idea.

DELTA
28th May 2013, 05:56 PM
With the changes...

CrippledPidgeon
28th May 2013, 07:48 PM
Hmm... it's still shining through... I wonder why.

Rigel
28th May 2013, 08:02 PM
Okay, with the luminous surface set to 1000 luminosity, I can see it casting the colour on the other box.

http://www.foundation3d.com/uploads/instruction/2013/05/34-28-792849_tn.jpg (http://www.foundation3d.com/uploads/instruction/2013/05/34-28-792849.jpg)

Here's the same setup with another box over the luminous one, checked Unseen by Camera and checked all shadow options (self, catch and cast). It blocks it just fine and it's not even inside out. This was done in Layout 10.1.

http://www.foundation3d.com/uploads/instruction/2013/05/34-28-792859_tn.jpg (http://www.foundation3d.com/uploads/instruction/2013/05/34-28-792859.jpg)