PDA

View Full Version : 3d abstract obhect

Starbase1
24th Feb 2008, 04:42 PM
As we are no longer constrained to Lightwave round here, I thought I'd put up a 3d abstract I did today, using Xenodream, (which makes recursive 3d fractalish objects). You can even export them, but as you might imagine with a potentially infinitely complex object, the polygon counts can creep up a bit!

For those unfamiliar with the program, it works by using shape generators called holons, that sort of resonate with each other. It also has the distinctly odd way of controlling surfaces, as they are controlled by lights...

If anyone is interested, I'll export the object, and upload it for others to play with.

Cheers,
Nick

JackN
24th Feb 2008, 07:53 PM
Looks like some Permian era ocean dweller...

;)

Rigel
24th Feb 2008, 09:00 PM
That's cool.

Bells of Freedom
24th Feb 2008, 09:56 PM
I really like the curves. They add a sense of depth. The colors blend also blend very well. I'm finding that I really love fractals a lot more than I thought. Good job ;)

MooseDog
24th Feb 2008, 11:57 PM
that;s pretty bada$$ nick:tu:, thx for posting.

when you say, w/british understatement, that the poly count "creeps up", how big are you talking? would it be an unreasonable p.i.t.a. to u/l or share a couple of shapes? (assuming it's an obj, which can sometimes be pretty darned big as file sizes go)

thx:tu:

Starbase1
25th Feb 2008, 01:29 AM
There are a couple of objects exported on my downloads page, and LOADS of images in my personal galleries...

The program itself is downright wierd and arcane, but not too bad for exploring by semi random twiddles!

And the poly reduction is the best I have seen by a mile - it chugs away for a bit, but then you get a slider with an on screen view of what it will look like at current settings. The objects are actually cleverly rendered point clouds, exports with lot of detail are definitely weaker than native, but some shapes work better than others.

I've attached a 300k polygon version in LWO format to this message. (Though obviously progs that are happy with bvery high poly counts are best).