PDA

View Full Version : Bad Start to The Day

chrisken
1st Mar 2008, 01:22 PM
A early morning flight of Bf109s from JG54 is dusted up by a Russian lend lease Hurricane:)

TheGreatRaja
1st Mar 2008, 03:11 PM
nice image, but it lacks something. can't reaaly put my finger on it
the plans all appear to be to static, i mean they are just flying straight and level
The pilot is even looking straight a head
needs something more...
nice start

Tony Gardner
1st Mar 2008, 03:36 PM
I really liked it but I also felt something is wrong with it, then I thought the planes are flying in oposite directions, passing each other at a very high combined speed but they are allfairly sharp (in focus), meanwhile the background is showing a lot of motion blur.

If the camera is tracking one of the planes enough to cause the motion blur in the background then the other sides plane should be very blurred.

Even so I really like the picture it has a great sense of movement and action, really great.

Prince_of_Spirits
7th Mar 2008, 01:39 PM
Good Job!!

CrippledPidgeon
7th Mar 2008, 03:37 PM
The concept's good, but I think there's a lot of work that needs to be done.

I'm with Tony here, if the background is that blurred, then one of the planes (I'm betting the Russian) will have to be very blurred because it's moving opposite to the motion of the camera.

Also, the ground line is very flat and unnatural-looking, so maybe you should put some hills in the back, or add some trees that extend beyond the treeline.

And finally, the lighting is very uninteresting and flat. The light appears to be coming from directly in front of the Me-109s, on top of that, it looks like it's around 10am or something. The shadows fall at about a 30 degree angle, which is kinda mid-morning or so, and the light is very white. But since the light is coming from in front of the planes, I can only see 2 shadows falling on the plane itself - the horizontal stabilizers and the shadows of the wings on the drop tanks. changing here the light is coming from would help greatly.

I just noticed that you're using a spotlight for the sun? The shadow angles are different between all three planes. The rear 109 has fairly shallow shadow angles, the Russian ha high shadow angles, and the near 109 is somewhere in between. You might want to switch to a distant light for the sun.

BillS
7th Mar 2008, 06:26 PM
CP nailed what caught me to. There is a sense of separation between the opponents. I can't help but think that after downing the trail 109 the Hurricane would likely be in a banked climb to watch it while the 109 pilots would either be pulling up as hard as they can to get off the ground and nose on the hurricane, Watching it like a hawk since they are way to vulnerable or staring at back at their poor comrade. Those and combinations of them would be what they would be doing.

Lighting and shadows have already been done well by CP to.

BillS
7th Mar 2008, 06:27 PM
Animal??

CrippledPidgeon
8th Mar 2008, 11:46 PM
Animal??

Yea, I had that thought too. When I saw the title, I figured it was some predator mauling something. Or like, a guy with a spear through his chest in the morning. :p

Rigel
9th Mar 2008, 09:15 AM
Other than other people's observations, the one thing I notice is that the props are in just about the exact same position on all four aircraft. The odds of that happening are quite slim.

I do like the concept though.

chrisken
21st Mar 2008, 06:15 AM
I have reworked the image textures and pilot comments welcome:)