PDA

View Full Version : Extinct

mJAstro
7th Mar 2008, 04:39 PM
So, this is one of my first scenes done with vue and I decided to go for more of an "artsy" view than photoreal. I'm fairly new to the whole nature "scene" so let the critiques fly! Oh, and I hope some people like it.

BillS
7th Mar 2008, 06:11 PM
Its got an interesting feel to it. Personally, I'm not a fan of the flare and ring. About the only real nit pick that I have with it is that in the mid ground its very noisy. That could be because its a proof though.

mJAstro
7th Mar 2008, 06:24 PM
Ya know, that mid ground noise is something that has baffled me. I am confused to say the least when it comes to the mechanics of it and just cannot figure out how to remedy it. Ive been doing some reading but its hard to narrow it done when its such a new program for me. I have a feeling its something really simple to fix and I am just missing it.

As for the flare (I'm assuming you mean the flares right at the sun itself), I am trying to work it out so its not as big/intense, but its really hard (at least being new to vue) because its just the way the sun/clouds/interact with the spectral atmosphere (which is required for the rays). Maybe if I put bigger gaps in between the clouds it wont flare as much. Ill try that later on and see if it fixes it.

Initium Thoth
7th Mar 2008, 06:25 PM
I can recognize beauty in the scene, but it seems way to grainy even for a painted style.

I dont have Vue and I dont know what options are available. But, can you render with higher resolution and anti aliasing? And perhaps render the lense flare on its own so that it can be layered in photoshp.

mJAstro
7th Mar 2008, 06:28 PM
I could always take the lens into combustion and do it there (I prefer combustion over photoshop for that). If I remember correctly anti aliasing was turned on for the render.

I also utterly forgot to add credits to myself so I will be editing it shortly for that.

lonewriter
7th Mar 2008, 10:16 PM
I like it. Is Vue easier to use that Teragen?

mJAstro
7th Mar 2008, 10:21 PM
Vue gives you the option of making the interface resemble other 3d packages which makes it nice. I find it very similar to max in a lot of ways and as primarily a max user I find it a lot easier and it can produce better results than terragen. It's also much more expensive, but you get what you pay for. You are also capable of way more things in Vue than in terragen (at least prior to terragen 2). For example, I have already rendered scenes with billions of polys.

Rigel
8th Mar 2008, 06:59 AM
First of all, I like the picture; it has a 1930's film style cinematography to it (I'm thinking the Lost World, Tarzan et al movies).

But, either the landscape needs to be rendered photo-real or the water needs to be rendered art style. Right now they completely clash with one another.

Having said that, it's a good effort from someone just learning the software!

BillS
8th Mar 2008, 08:33 AM
Ya know, that mid ground noise is something that has baffled me. I am confused to say the least when it comes to the mechanics of it and just cannot figure out how to remedy it. Ive been doing some reading but its hard to narrow it done when its such a new program for me. I have a feeling its something really simple to fix and I am just missing it.

What were your render settings? If you left it on preview that would cause it. You might need to up it to final or broadcast. Failing that there are quality boost sliders in the atmosphere editor that might help some to.

mJAstro
8th Mar 2008, 12:47 PM
I had everything set to maximum on the render settings that I could find that would be beneficial. I may have missed quality boost sliders in the atmosphere editor, I cant remember for sure. Ill have to open the scene and check the settings when I get back to my apartment. Which wont happen right now because its raining really hard right now and I would have to walk a mile in it.

Rigel
8th Mar 2008, 04:57 PM
I had everything set to maximum on the render settings that I could find that would be beneficial. I may have missed quality boost sliders in the atmosphere editor, I cant remember for sure. Ill have to open the scene and check the settings when I get back to my apartment. Which wont happen right now because its raining really hard right now and I would have to walk a mile in it.

Lucky dog! We've accumulated almost 3 feet of snow since 9 am today. And it's still coming down. And it's supposed to get worse tomorrow. (??????)

BillS
8th Mar 2008, 07:47 PM
Only about a foot here.

Milanautica
9th Mar 2008, 09:03 AM
Nice render for the first try!
I also work with vue, but not long enough to tell you how you can make your pic smoother :/ but keep going on with your work!

motus_bob3
24th Apr 2008, 11:28 AM
Nice render

tommywright
24th Apr 2008, 01:02 PM
That's pretty cool. Kinda reminds me of King Kong's island.

RonGC
24th Apr 2008, 01:15 PM
Need more Quality Boost. Great work though overall.

Ron

Pheylan
24th Apr 2008, 03:46 PM
Really nice image. One thing that jumps out at me however, is that the glacier seems to cut off too sharply. If it is a mixed material you can remedy that by upping the Smooth blending strip more towards progressive. That and once you work out the graininess problem, I think you have it made. :)