PDA

View Full Version : Texturing of the Battlestar Ouroboros v2 - LW

Danakinobi
7th Oct 2014, 07:52 AM
I'm trying to understand the texturing technique used to techure the "Battlestar Ouroboros v2" found here in resources/meshes.

I wanted to study how the model was constructed and textured.

The texturing technique has really got be baffled and I'm seeking some advise on how this was done.

In modeler and layout, the texturing looks very bad... Very unrealistic. But when Rendered, it looks amazingly beautiful and perfect.

I currently use LW 11.6.3 and was hoping if anyone else has checked out that particular model and can perhaps give me an idea of how that texturing style works.

I'm pretty experienced with UV mapping and basic texturing. But I'm really having a hard time understanding how the texturing goes from big and blocky crazy texturing to having a nice natural photorealistic texture in the rendering.

I'm hoping someone has seen this model and downloaded it and had some experience with that type of texturing.

Bells of Freedom
7th Oct 2014, 08:32 AM
Could you post some screen shots of the textures in the viewport, and some of the renders?

Danakinobi
7th Oct 2014, 11:06 AM
Could you post some screen shots of the textures in the viewport, and some of the renders?

Sorry... That probably would help... I added some photos. One in Modeler and one Rendered...

You can see the textured looks like big blocks, but rendered it looks normal?

I tried to reverse engineer this, but I can't see how this works.

Bells of Freedom
7th Oct 2014, 12:18 PM
Hmm, that is odd. Maybe an OpenGL/viewport display issue? And not anything with the actual method of texturing, perhaps. I can open it on my computer and see if I can the same thing.

Is this a free model?

Thanks.

Danakinobi
7th Oct 2014, 12:30 PM
You should be able to access it in the resource section of this site.

Resources>> Downloads Meshes Science Fiction Ships BSG

Bells of Freedom
7th Oct 2014, 12:30 PM
Interesting. Yeah, I'm getting the same thing. I'm not quite sure what that would be. Could you try a different BSG model, and see what happens? And/or another model by the same artist?

I suppose you could even try to export it and open it in Blender and see what happens, as long as you use a format that keeps the materials intact. And I think Blender has an addon that ships with it that opens LWO files.

Rigel
7th Oct 2014, 02:15 PM
In the viewport with the Textured Shaded Solid option, it's been my experience that it will only display one layer (if there are multiple layers on a particular channel). The quality of the view depends on how you set your OpenGL options as well.

In VPR (View Port Renderer) you'll see a much closer version of what a final render will look like. But the standard viewport has never shown a model's textures as the render engine will. I don't know if v 11 is supposed to, but I'd be surprised as the viewports are just OpenGL, not the actual render engine.

Meurig
7th Oct 2014, 03:19 PM
It's just displaying the top layer in the material. The way it looks in modeller is not representative of the final look of a textured surface anyway.

Danakinobi
7th Oct 2014, 05:22 PM
It's just displaying the top layer in the material. The way it looks in modeller is not representative of the final look of a textured surface anyway.

Thanks for the tip.

I've never seen anything like that before. I thought maybe it was a new way of texturing or a procedure type texture.

When I've applied texture to a model. It still sort of looks like what It may look like when I render it.

I've attached some samples of a model I was playing with, based on the old Galactica... I wanted to created that same "weathered" and "battle-hardened" look.

lonewriter
14th Oct 2014, 12:50 PM
You should PM tan.j, he built the mesh. He has built several Battlestars.

tan.j
15th Oct 2014, 06:56 AM
Hi Danakinobi,

What Rigel and Meurig wrote are correct.

An attached image shows one of surface settings, "new_panel_red". Surface color is dark red (A), and you can see two layers (C) in a "Texture Editor" window by clicking button [T] of "Color" (B). The checker image is the top layer of the texture layers (C), besides its "Layer Opacity" is 10% (D).

The layer opacity is not reflected and is treated with 100% in the texture solid view, therefore only the top layer, the checker image, is shown ;)

Danakinobi
15th Oct 2014, 05:18 PM
Thanks. That helps. I was very confused on how you created the red stripe, but then have it not show up in the preview, but then show up in the render.

Is the red stripe it's own section? With it's own surface? I wasn't sure how you got the entire checkered pattern to cover the entire plating.