PDA

View Full Version : deg3D_Just like Beggar's Canyon back home...

deg3D
18th Mar 2008, 12:41 PM
Background plate: Star Wars. T-16 Skyhopper: deg3D.

Right Suns, Left Suns, High Suns.

It's only a model. - Patsy, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

bmckain
18th Mar 2008, 12:52 PM
Nice compostion. It fits on really well. This is just a preference but I think it would blend better with a slight bit of motion blur.

deg3D
18th Mar 2008, 12:54 PM
Thanks Bob. :) There is just a touch of MB in there.

deg

bmckain
18th Mar 2008, 12:55 PM
Thanks Bob. :) There is just a touch of MB in there.

deg

Damn, these glasses are too good then. :p

Meurig
18th Mar 2008, 01:10 PM
It looks to me like the primary light is coming from entirely the wrong direction? The light on the ship is coming from screen right, but the rocks on screen left clearly have a bright light above and to the left of them. The rocks on the far right look like they might be casting shadows in the same direction of the ship, which suggests that you've blended two background plates together. The shadows on the left are a lot stronger though, so the eye reads them first.

deg3D
18th Mar 2008, 01:19 PM
It looks to me like the primary light is coming from entirely the wrong direction? The light on the ship is coming from screen right, but the rocks on screen left clearly have a bright light above and to the left of them. The rocks on the far right look like they might be casting shadows in the same direction of the ship, which suggests that you've blended two background plates together. The shadows on the left are a lot stronger though, so the eye reads them first.

Ah, he forgets the two suns (one orange, one white) of Tatooine...

deg

deg3D
18th Mar 2008, 01:24 PM
And actually, the shadows on the right are stronger, the left are only larger.

Threw me at first too, until I realized ILM must have messed with the plate to account for the binary system.

deg

Woody
18th Mar 2008, 01:34 PM
Nice work Deg, but that strong shadow on the left of the frame is hard to argue with...from a purely perceptual point of view. Without actually seeing two suns, it just looks very wrong to me.

deg3D
18th Mar 2008, 01:47 PM
Thanks Charles. :)

Either way, it's gonna look kinda weird, because if I shift the lighting to the other side, the rocks on the left, with the stronger shadows, they will make no sense.

C'est la vie.

And now that I look at it, there may no messing with the plate, and the sun it just comin' in from up top. Perhaps I'll try another one. Then again, I like the idea of accounting for the two suns and less obvious stuff in art. To each their own. :)

deg

skyking
18th Mar 2008, 02:13 PM
:cool: Shadows aside,this is still a strong image!

noibs
18th Mar 2008, 02:25 PM
Iíd go back and take a look at how ILM handled all the lighting for Tatooine on episodes I and II.
The pod race footage alone should provide the answers.

Itís obvious in the live action plates of Mos Espa that thereís only one sun, which "feels" correct.

deg3D
18th Mar 2008, 02:42 PM
Thanks guys. ")

Added Left Suns and High Suns versions in the first post. :)

deg

Woody
18th Mar 2008, 02:53 PM
LOL, yes. Thank you for humoring me Deg! High suns version looks like just the ticket if that left side were just a 'touch' darker...

Now stick a Womprat in there along the bottom of the canyon running for its life and another skyhopper ahead firing on it. ;)

bmckain
18th Mar 2008, 03:04 PM
LOL, yes. Thank you for humoring me Deg! High suns version looks like just the ticket if that left side were just a 'touch' darker...

Now stick a Womprat in there along the bottom of the canyon running for its life and another skyhopper ahead firing on it. ;)

I agree with Charles on this, the high sun does it for me as well.

Meurig
18th Mar 2008, 03:14 PM
Yep, same. High Suns for the win :D

deg3D
18th Mar 2008, 03:29 PM
Thanks guys. :)

And now that I look at it, I do like the Left Suns version better (kinda liked the shadows across the ship in the Right Suns version though), but the left is cool too (and appears most accurate), even if the one that is the most accurate is probably the High Suns version. But no shadows at all across the ship in that version, except the undercarriage.

So Left Suns it is for me. Thanks for the other sets of eyes guys. :)

deg

deg3D
18th Mar 2008, 03:49 PM

Well, as I'm a hard-core animal rights advocate Charles, I can't condone sport-hunting in any way, shape or form, esp. in my art (run free lil' womprats!), but here is a slightly darker "c" version just for you (I prefer the harsher brighter one myself).

Now that's it, onto another scene. Gotta finish the garage for the original scene. :)

deg

bmckain
18th Mar 2008, 03:57 PM
Well, as I'm a hard-core animal rights advocate Charles, I can't condone sport-hunting in any way, shape or form, esp. in my art (run free lil' womprats!).

deg

Then how about one with Pamela Anderson running naked with a fur and the second one shooting at her? :evil: :crazy:

I know, I know, I'll just sit in my corner now. :p

deg3D
2nd Apr 2008, 05:30 PM
You funny Bob. :D

For those interested; detail, AO, and six-view ortho renders are now up on my website (http://deg3D.biz).

They can be viewed using the "on the bench..." link on my splash page, as well as in the regular 3D artwork gallery section on my website (http://deg3D.biz).

deg

Escelce
2nd Apr 2008, 09:21 PM
Great work on this model Deg. Just looked at the site and some great shots on there.

Rigel
3rd Apr 2008, 08:39 AM
Nice shot deg.

gpdesigner
3rd Apr 2008, 08:56 AM
those shots look awesome deg,
tho, in the first one where the sun is coming from the right, shouldn't all the shadows be reversed? I know it's a stock BG photo so you can't change it , maybe if you flip the image horizontally it would work better.
gp

Treybor
3rd Apr 2008, 10:07 AM
Nice composite and an excellent model

deg3D
4th Apr 2008, 10:26 AM
Thanks guys. :)

those shots look awesome deg,
tho, in the first one where the sun is coming from the right, shouldn't all the shadows be reversed? I know it's a stock BG photo so you can't change it , maybe if you flip the image horizontally it would work better.
gp

Indeed my friend. The "High Suns" shot is the most accurate, but I prefer the "Left Suns" version for a tad of shadow across the ship for interest's sake. As for the original "Right Suns" version, while I do like the shadows across the ship in that version, it is admittedly way too inaccurate and taking way too much liberty with "fudging it" for interest's sake.

Thanks again guys. :)

deg

rtrowbridge
4th Apr 2008, 12:34 PM
I'd always pictured Beggar's Canyon to look like Canyon de Chelly in NorthEast Arizona. Nice vertical canyon walls up to 1000 feet high. A T-16 flying past spider rock would be great.

Rigel
4th Apr 2008, 03:21 PM
Get deg a photo of spider rock and I'm sure he could fix you up. :)

nazomizaza
15th Apr 2008, 06:16 AM
Friend looks very realistic great job

Tritzer
19th Apr 2008, 02:52 PM
Really nice image, and nice job with Ralph McQuarrie's concept art of the T-16.

I have to go with the "High Suns" version myself. Even though the Tatoo system is a binary star system, the planet(s) will still orbit the suns at great distance, so the difference in light direction vectors shouldn't be that great, making the surface lighting look at least somewhat similar to being in a unary star system. (Just how I think about it.)

maarek
19th Apr 2008, 05:05 PM
Beautifully done. Love the contrast between the halves.

bonzodogboy
19th Apr 2008, 08:00 PM
My preference is the original High Suns render on the right. The ship fits in to the scene better. But you have done an excellent job. :)

deg3D
22nd Apr 2008, 02:13 PM
Hey thanks very much guys, I appreciate that. :)

Tritzer, this is actually Ryan Church's T-16 design eh. ;)

deg

DELTA
22nd Apr 2008, 05:49 PM
Because your an ARA member, how about politicians? The first 1000 are your choice! Then each member can pick the next set in turn...

BTW, Very nice work as always...

deg3D
22nd Apr 2008, 05:58 PM
Because your an ARA member, how about politicians? The first 1000 are your choice! Then each member can pick the next set in turn...

BTW, Very nice work as always...

Dude, call me dim, but you totally lost me there... ARA? Politicians? First 1000? :confused:

But thanks for the last part. I got that. ;)

Edit: Wait, you're talking about shooting womprats aren'tcha? I get it... ;)

deg