PDA

View Full Version : deg3D_Slave 1

deg3D
27th Nov 2007, 12:16 PM
An oldie, but a goodie still (and pretty bare-bones (Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor not a poster!) out there so we need to get some stuff up in here come opening day). So come on guys... post up! :tu:

deg

Thor
27th Nov 2007, 12:27 PM
Awesome!

Sodonn
27th Nov 2007, 01:30 PM
I totally remember you building this model. I still love these renders. You did a fine job with this Deg! If I remember correctly....this was during the possible "Art of Lightwave" book and a bunch of people were crunching out fantastic renders. Of course....if the book ever got published.....it would have been in it.

bmckain
27th Nov 2007, 01:54 PM
I really like these too, never saw them before.

gpdesigner
27th Nov 2007, 03:21 PM
Very nice renders deg, love image #2 I feel like I am in the atmosphere as well in that shot . . nicely done bro.
gp

Gordon Robb
27th Nov 2007, 04:05 PM
Super cool. this is like a trip down memory lane. I rember being totally inspired by the level of detail on this thing, and being glad that there was someone that didn't mind puting lots of polys in to get an insane level of detail, and hang the render cost.

Gorgeous!

deg3D
28th Nov 2007, 09:33 AM
Hey thanks guys. :)

Yeah, I always loved these shots, and she is still the cherry on top of my 3D modeling sundae as far as polys and detailing goes. MOF, I think that is the reason I originally built her, as I loved the uber-high level of detailing she has eh. :)

Could build her for half the poly cost now, and at some point I want to optimize her and repaint her to match my more advanced skills-to-date.

Yeah, and the Art of LightWave book never came into being Steve. I have to talk to Wes about that sometime.

Thanks again, gald you like her. :)

deg

Rigel
28th Nov 2007, 02:33 PM
deg;

I have heard of your Slave 1, but have not seen it before. That is just beautiful!

TheGreatRaja
28th Nov 2007, 02:35 PM
looks very nice to me :) now where's Slave II? :D

today
30th Nov 2007, 06:52 PM
Nice to see this again

Mikala
30th Nov 2007, 07:00 PM
Let's see the optimized V2!
I can see why you don't redo as this is one beautiful ship.

deg3D
30th Nov 2007, 09:42 PM
Thanks very much guys. :)

I'll get to her in time. I want to op her to animate her at some point...

deg

David Myers
1st Dec 2007, 01:18 AM
Really nice! Did you create the planetary surface image or is it a real satellite photo. If so, where is that geography, I don't recognize it?

Foomandoonian
1st Dec 2007, 06:04 AM
Good to see this again :)

infinityloop
1st Dec 2007, 09:39 AM
ncie to see it "here" too ;)

Josh2481
1st Dec 2007, 10:16 AM
Oooh I remember this one. Always loved the engine glow the most for some reason.

berserkereva
8th Dec 2007, 09:56 PM
slave 1 is the cooles ship ever!

deg3D
8th Dec 2007, 11:51 PM
Thanks very much guys! :)

...or is it a real satellite photo. If so, where is that geography, I don't recognize it?

It's a NASA shot, and ya know David, even though I am pretty astute at geography (kind of a hobby), myself, I have never been able to pin that area down as to where it actually is on the planet... :confused:

Even more reason why I liked it. :)

deg

Mikala
9th Dec 2007, 12:01 AM
Thats just north of Slovbanistanavia. Sheesh.

David Myers
9th Dec 2007, 05:42 AM
It kind of reminds me of impact craters like the Mincouagan Crater in northern Quebec, or the Mitastine Lake Crater in Newfoundland. If anyone knows where it is, I'm curious.

Taranis
9th Dec 2007, 06:07 AM
Love both images ,, the glow of the engines is gust right and understated making it look more realistic

Zippy
9th Dec 2007, 08:00 AM
That second image is one of the best I've seen in a while! Good work.

JackDeL
9th Dec 2007, 09:21 AM
It's great to see Ol' Slave 1 again! I remember when you where building this, beautiful renders Deg! :nod:

Valdora
9th Dec 2007, 11:17 AM
Thats very good, :D

deg3D
10th Dec 2007, 09:12 AM
Hey thanks very much guys!

I have always, and still do, think S1 is one of the coolest ships ever, and probably thee most unique in it conceptual design IMO, even if it started out coming from a lamp post. Just goes to show ya, inspirational genius can be found anywhere if you just keep your mind open and freed-up to the flow of the creative Force. ;)

Oh, and thanks to whomever rated her 5 stars. :nod:

Oh, and thanks for those Google Earth shots David. I can definitely see a similarity. I think you might be on to something there. ;)

And Mikala, be sure to give my regards to the Slovbanistanaviaians next time you visit. ;)

deg

g4dual
16th Dec 2007, 03:17 AM
WOW! :jawdrop: Cool work! :D

Nirvana
16th Dec 2007, 03:23 AM
:jawdrop: Very good work star wors is my favorites.

deg3D
16th Dec 2007, 12:00 PM
Thanks very much guys, glad you like my ol' Slave 1. :)

deg

Mikala
16th Dec 2007, 01:40 PM
Never going back to Slovbanistanavia getting a visa/entry permits is just too complicated and costly.

Lastwish
17th Dec 2007, 01:19 AM
really cool

cosmos28
5th Jan 2008, 03:15 PM
An oldie, but a goodie still (and pretty bare-bones (Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor not a poster!) out there so we need to get some stuff up in here come opening day). So come on guys... post up! :tu:

deg
what an amazing composition!! please make a Tutorial so we all can learn something!!!

rico
15th Jan 2008, 08:36 AM
respect looks really good

XRaiderV1
15th Jan 2008, 03:29 PM
nice work.

deg3D
15th Jan 2008, 03:35 PM
Thanks guys. :)

modo has been giving me some probs render-wise, so gettin' back into and refreshing myself with LightWave Layout, so should have some more new shots of ol' S1 in the not-too-distant future.

deg

fringewood
18th Jan 2008, 08:51 AM
Nice rendering. Very well lit, and I really like the pov.

Paul1138
18th Jan 2008, 10:11 AM
Never seen these before but it's excellent work. You've certainly done one of Sci-fi's more "quirky" spacecraft great justice.

deg3D
18th Jan 2008, 10:53 AM
Hey thanks much guys. :)

deg

Zizi
18th Jan 2008, 11:37 AM
Man, I remember spending an afternoon screen-capping the Episode 2 DVD to get you reference shots for this thing.

I also remember watching it come together and thinking "Where'd all THIS come from? deg took like a quantum leap in skill and detailing and I didn't get to watch it happen!" Because while you'd turned out some good work before it, Slave 1 was just so well done that it was totally on a different level for where you were at the time, and it was kinda amazing. :D

BreedyMcfluff
18th Jan 2008, 05:51 PM
That looks really nice. Looks even better for it to be in its environment... or atmosphere.

XRaiderV1
18th Jan 2008, 06:08 PM
nice, try top notch.

Rikalonius
18th Jan 2008, 09:36 PM
I love the descent shot. I think it would look even better than awesome if you added a couple of con trails. Yeah, Boba Fett's coming to get you. LOL Great work!

Well, I edited this because something occurred to me. When I looked again at the descent shot, it sorta reminded me of Canderous' explanation of the Basilisk drop ships in the game KOTOR. Slave I in that position would be a perfect shape for terrifyingly fast re-entry. The pilot is facing down and can use the HUD to guide munitions and energy weapons and whatever planetary defenses are in it's way. It's cargo hold would be big enough to hold a squad of Mandalorians. I know the lore for it is already written, but who cares, it would make a perfect drop ship.

Rik

archibold
12th Jan 2009, 10:40 AM
Very nice planet, is it a real picture or a render one. seem very realistic

deg3D
12th Jan 2009, 10:54 AM
Thanks very much guys (to some belated thanks on that). And thanks Zizi for your captures. ;)

And archibold, both planets are NASA shots, that I edited a bit, color-wise and adding lights in the one with S1 leaving.

Thanks again dude, glad you like her. Gotta love such an odd-ball design ala S1 IMO eh. :)

deg

Mook
12th Jan 2009, 05:02 PM
Wowser, how could I not have seen this before? You must have done this before I was even around, and that's a couple years now...! ;)
This is really nice work, Deg. And I certainly know what you mean about going back and redoing it; I had a look at one of my completed meshes and could have redone my mesh in half the time, half the polys and it would have looked better...! ;)

artismos
24th Jan 2009, 09:21 AM
A true masterpiece.

Tolin
24th Jan 2009, 01:50 PM
what an amazing composition!! please make a Tutorial so we all can learn something!!!

Yes please. Breathtaking.

madman1701A
11th Feb 2009, 09:32 PM

deg
Wow. Most impressive. :)

-=MadMan=-

deg3D
16th Feb 2009, 02:55 PM
Thanks very much guys. :)

Sorry, no time for writing tuts as of now eh. However, there are plenty of LightWave tuts out there, which is what I used to learn, so Google/find and watch all you can get your hands on, practice a lot, and you'll get there eh. ;)

deg

Nadab
16th Feb 2009, 04:02 PM
Firstly, very nice lighting work and mesh, awesome quality. I like the blurred/out of focus depth of the ship in the pictures.

However, im not that fond over two things with ur images, firstly the PS lensflare just gives me the creeps when ever i see someone use em (why god whyyy?!).. and secondly even thou u did a good job with tweaking the planet backdrop pictures, one does notice it is: a picture and not an actual planet surface.

But thats just minor things (except the lensflare..gargh) keep up the good work :)

buzz
8th Mar 2009, 04:09 PM
great job!

:)
:jawdrop:

Chimera46
15th Mar 2009, 09:58 AM
Great model and render, I always did love that ship.

Alecia
15th Mar 2009, 10:08 AM
I like the first picture, it's verry nice!

deg3D
15th Mar 2009, 10:29 AM
Thanks much guys! :)

deg

shaggy
17th Mar 2009, 05:25 AM
Love it!!!:)

KnightStalker
6th Apr 2009, 10:01 PM
Awesome renders. I've never tinkered with LightWave before (I don't have it is why :p ). I mainly tinker around with Daz Studio, and I'm gradually learning my way around Carrara 6 Pro.

deg3D
18th Apr 2009, 09:30 AM
Thanks very much guys! :D

And sorry for the late response, been real busy.

deg

Sab0tage
27th Apr 2009, 08:23 PM
wow it looks like a reel from the movie. so cool

Phoenix
28th Apr 2009, 04:37 AM
hahaha I remember when you made this model. It's what got me into insane detailing :D

andyjaggy
4th May 2009, 10:53 AM
Oh man. About a year ago I bought a scale model of this ship. I had every intention of building it in 3D. Then life happened and I never got around to it.

It's still sitting in my closet gathering dust. Guess I need to give it a shot.

Great job.