PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave Nodes

Rawz
16th Jun 2008, 01:51 AM
Just wondering if anybody uses Lightwave's Nodes here? -

I've just started looking at them via James Willmott's DVD, and just read the start of the chapter on them in the Essential Lightwave 9 book.

Doing the first tutorial really did my head in when you now had to control the TWO values of a procedural texture - the positive AND negative shapes - that make up the procedural.

Does this get tricky? Or (not being a Math bod) can you always sort this out with the Math Nodes?

I also only just got that the A and B inputs on Math Nodes are simply inputs, that they don't stand for Alpha or Bump, and are there for two inputs or an input and a number... yes?

John Marchant
16th Jun 2008, 09:22 AM
Stick with it mate. Dont forget this is not just for texturing, can be used to drive things, and nodes are the way ahead for dynamics and even CA so you will have to get into them.

Yeah does do your nut in sometimes but it will pay off, look at what denis is doing with his node plugins, there is alot of powerful potential in them.

Regards, John

Rawz
16th Jun 2008, 05:16 PM
Thanks John,

I know it's all a part of starting somewhere and gaining a familiarity with them - maybe start small and get bigger.

The reason I wanted to get a handle on them is for the shaders, especially the occlusion shaders, for corner and edge grime and patina, I think this could add a lot of subtle authenticity to the most simple of surfaces.

And you've fed the fire further... do you mean Denis Pontonnier? Who developed IE nodes for Lightwave? Will do some digging.

Thanks John

BillS
16th Jun 2008, 06:04 PM
I'm slowly getting a handle on them.. more from working with XSI than LW but it gets you in the habit of using them and that is the first step to figuring them out.

Rawz
16th Jun 2008, 06:23 PM
Ah that's encouraging Bill, I guess it's all part of an ever evolving process - you are always learning - I do take it for granted everybody's up on the stuff though (deep breath... and exhale...).

Something I appreciate is that Nodes might not just for surfacing, that the modular approach could be a good way of driving many things. Good to hear of your with them in XSI.

[Edit] PS.

This is great... I guess you reach out like this to test the water... now, I guess as I make my way through learning about Nodes it's a case of building some surfaces and asking specifics as they arise.

Cheers
Rory

John Marchant
16th Jun 2008, 10:05 PM
Sorry Rawz, Yes i meant Denis Pontonnier, im not a scripter but if you look at the combination of lscipt,plugins and nodes there are some powerful things that can be brought to bear on a whole range of issues. The one im looking forward to is dynamics, particles etc. But CA will benefit from this as well.

Regards, John

Rawz
26th Jun 2008, 03:15 AM
Sorry Rawz, Yes i meant Denis Pontonnier, im not a scripter but if you look at the combination of lscipt,plugins and nodes there are some powerful things that can be brought to bear on a whole range of issues. The one im looking forward to is dynamics, particles etc. But CA will benefit from this as well.

Regards, John

I was pointed to Denis' DPKit again today, specifically as a way to apply vector displacement maps.

Is Denis' surfacing kit - 'DP_Kit_OSX.p' - a single plug-in that goes in Lightwave's plug-ins folder? I can't find any other guides.

And do you mean the combination of lscripts, plugins and nodes are things listed in his list of work?

Crook
26th Jun 2008, 05:19 AM
Been learning about nodes for the past couple of days. I think it's the only way to get my R2D2 to look close to realistic, especially for the anisotropic metallic parts. I think they are vital for surfacing real world objects correctly but have only just begun to realise how powerful they are.

Rawz
26th Jun 2008, 05:52 AM
Been learning about nodes for the past couple of days. I think it's the only way to get my R2D2 to look close to realistic, especially for the anisotropic metallic parts. I think they are vital for surfacing real world objects correctly but have only just begun to realise how powerful they are.

Same, no, I don't think you can beat the 'plug-an'-playability' of a little node that's got all the algorithm thingies in it that makes a surface play as close to the way the surface does in life - your work in the droid well deserving of its real world power matey. Great modelling idea too, why not, this virtual environment is probably born from the same out of the box thinking. Nice one.

Rawz
27th Jun 2008, 05:27 PM
gottit

moved the single DPKit plugin to the LW plugin folder, no way of incorporating it in the menu layout but also no need as DPKit is already in the 'add nodes' list of the Node Editior.

nice one.

Crook
27th Jun 2008, 06:04 PM
Here is my nodes setup for the shiny silver of R2D2's head, and I'm not finished with it yet by a loooong way, but I can see the power behind nodes already.

BillS
29th Jun 2008, 06:25 PM
And you can create some really nifty spider webs with them to :)

Flashfire
15th Jul 2008, 07:55 PM
Ah Crook... Before I enlarged it, I had a flashback to my days working with Houdini... ah memories. :)

Now just imagine how modeling would be if the history of each tool was a node in a sequence leading to the final asset. Oh wait... Im tripping out to Houdini again... :)

Nice looking node-tree. I am somewhat confused by all of the vectored in/output... not from a lack of understanding mind you ... more like wondering why you arent simply cranking up your outputs rather than adding another math-node to perform a function (add, multiply, etc)... less nodes = less time to calculate the shader. But then, I havent played with nodes in LW since v7.x (it was a 3rd party plugin then), and things could, and likely have changed since those good old days....