PDA

View Full Version : quick and dirty space scene Revisited

SI-productions
9th Dec 2007, 12:16 AM
I decide to post this in a new thread since its updated quite a lot since the original post. Hope thats ok with the powers that be? So anyways this has been a bit of a fun at home project for me. The planet was built textured and rendered in Maya with mental ray. I rendered the planet in 4 passes: The base color pass, a cloud pass, a earth light pass, and an atmosphere glow pass. The Ship provided by Lee Medcalf is the Nostromo from the resource section. Many thanks to him! It was lit and rendered in Lightwave with Fprime. Comp was all done in Fusion. Its not perfect but I had a lot of fun doing something that wasn't work related. Hope you enjoy it. C&C welcome. :)

Cheers,
Simon

http://www.foundation3d.com/uploads/art/2007/12/271-09-184515_tn.jpg (http://www.foundation3d.com/uploads/art/2007/12/271-09-184515.jpg)

Kataar
9th Dec 2007, 01:00 AM
Amazing work, your renders come out very artistic, and the addition of that ship, the lighting on it, all excellent work :)

~Jon

Epiphany
9th Dec 2007, 01:59 AM
Love the sun plays of the earth. Very Cool

aeres
9th Dec 2007, 08:24 AM
What other said...and I really dig the starfield :D

BillS
9th Dec 2007, 08:28 AM
The big copper marble :) Great work!

today
9th Dec 2007, 08:30 AM
I love how well the lighting on the Nostromo matches the lighting on the planet:tu::tu::tu::tu:

John Marchant
9th Dec 2007, 08:38 AM
Like the image. My only point is that the light on the surface of the planet seems to be coming from more than one place. I would say that if the sun was in the top left of the picture the bottom right and around there would be almost black IMHO.

Regards, John

bmckain
9th Dec 2007, 09:48 AM
I gotta agree, really well done. Nice to see your work again. :)

Darkstone
9th Dec 2007, 10:29 AM
A much improved version...

The planet (especially the clouds) look great.

Has that steampunkish color quality to it. :)

Valdora
9th Dec 2007, 11:14 AM
Very good work I only wish you could do that in lightwave as easy

CAClark
9th Dec 2007, 12:14 PM
Looks quite nice, but somehow the spaceship doesn't look'in' the scene. Might just be the cast from the engine glows making the geometry behind blue, thus standing out.

Cheers!

SI-productions
9th Dec 2007, 12:22 PM
Like the image. My only point is that the light on the surface of the planet seems to be coming from more than one place. I would say that if the sun was in the top left of the picture the bottom right and around there would be almost black IMHO.

Regards, John

Thanks for the comment John :) The reason for the subtle rimming of the light was from a moon sorce. Maybe its a bit too much though.

@Valdora: why can't you? Its really not any harder to do the planet in LW than in maya. I just created 3 spheres each slightly larger than the last and spherically mapped the texture maps to them and rendered them out individually to give me more control in comp. Its really easy and LW can certainly handle it. The only reason I did it in Maya was because I'm used to working in that package since I use it at work. The stars are a mix of CG stars created by a ton of tiny planes and then mixed with a real photograph of background stars.

SI-productions
9th Dec 2007, 12:23 PM
Good point Craig Thanks :)

Foomandoonian
9th Dec 2007, 04:45 PM
Simple. but nicely done :)

berserkereva
9th Dec 2007, 07:12 PM
i love the ligthing on this shot

Meurig
10th Dec 2007, 03:50 AM
Lovely :D

Edbittner
10th Dec 2007, 07:41 AM
Recognized it right away.
E.

3dSoldier
10th Dec 2007, 08:26 AM
Your succeeded some kind of magic ambient!! , very nice :jawdrop: i can imagine nice animation there.

2 weeks ago i had make a realistic earth on my work, and I agree with SI-productions, was very easy on LW, the hardest thing for me, was find hi res earth maps; clouds map, bump map, and especular map.

Congrats.
BB

Matt
10th Dec 2007, 02:22 PM
A much improved original - though I have to agree with Craig, but like he says it could just be the engines ;)

SI-productions
12th Dec 2007, 10:16 AM
Thanks Guys :)

Bells of Freedom
12th Dec 2007, 01:28 PM
Wow, a beautiful piece, indeed. The planet is especially well done! Nice work!