PDA

View Full Version : Creating UV's That make sense

gpdesigner
24th Aug 2009, 10:10 AM
Hello Y'all
Anyone know how to make a single UV in Lightwave . . .? OMG :wtf:
from the image below you see in the UV window that I get the surface broken up into multiple sections . . . . is there any way to get a single section to paint on?
Is this possible without searching the entire internet for some 3rd party app that doesn't work with LW or a Mac?
thanks . . .
gp

Woody
24th Aug 2009, 10:40 AM
Do what you're doing, i.e. select the polys you want to UV (the fuselage) then create a cylindrical map on the Z axis.
You may need to play with the seam angle so the projection doesn't split your polygons up in the UV texture view.
Once you're happy with your projection, back in the model view, invert your selection to grab the wing surface, then 'hide unselected' to hide the fuselage and view just the selected wing. Deselect the bottom half and UV that with a planar map on Y, invert your selection to grab the remaining polygons for the top of the wing and do another planar projection on Y. Apply a checker map to the fuselage and top/bottom wing surfaces, then scale your UVs to reduce stretching artifacts until you're happy. Export to Photoshop as EPS, and paint away. :tu:

Cymro
24th Aug 2009, 10:41 AM
There's a free unwrapping plug-in that someone here showed me before called PLG tools, you could try that. You could also create an endomorph and manually flatten the polygons, or you could try this technique (ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/UVDynamics.mov).

gpdesigner
24th Aug 2009, 11:00 AM
@Woody, I trued that theory on a quickie . . it seemed to work out pretty well. there were a lot of bumps and practacing I need to do but I think it works . . .
2 questions before I run out to work . . how do I apply a checker map and how do I adjust the seam angle?

what I did in the quick try was to adjust the X and z co ordinates in the UV map control pannel, also when I loaded the map I loaded it in the Manual mode was that right?
gp

Bishop
24th Aug 2009, 08:29 PM
Blender, dude. Blender.

It's Lightwave's most invaluable UV mapping tool, and it's available for the Mac.

Export from LW as an OBJ, bring that into Blender and do your unwraps. Export from Blender as an OBJ and bring that back into LW. It's SOOOOOO much easier than f^%$ing about with Lightwave and UV mapping.

deg3D
24th Aug 2009, 08:38 PM
Yeah, LW's UVing is for the birds. Another reason I use modo for modeling and UVing.

Bishop's Blender tip may be worth looking into as isn't Blender free? Does a FREE app really sport better UV tools than LW? That's just sad. Glad I'm just a Layout jockey nowadays.

deg

BillS
24th Aug 2009, 08:56 PM
What they are telling you is true.. sadly. LW's UV tools are pathetic at best. PLG makes them usable but for the most part on your plane you aren't going to need them. Wings, fin, stab can all be planar UV'd. The only one that is going to cause trouble is the fuse. You can cylinder unwrap most of it but the nose and cockpit area is going to cause you grief. I'd just map them seperate. You could do the port and starboard side one at a time and do it all at once but you are going to get stretching across the top and bottom. So unless you can relax it some.. not sure if LW can or not... you may have to do it in 4 pieces. Top, bottom, port and starboard. Depending on the graphics that are going on it.

gpdesigner
25th Aug 2009, 09:30 AM
don't know if I want to use Blender, nothing against it just that another 3d program would send me up the walls right now . . . although anything would be easier than LW at UV's I think I am going to try to use it. what Bill said makes sense for the airplane I think I will try that, Hopefully one day LW will get it's head wrapped around the issue and make this a one stop prog for it's users . . .

Let me see what I can come up with using LW in the next few minutes . . .
gp

BillS
25th Aug 2009, 10:05 AM
I detest LW's UV's so much that I went and bought UVLayout so I wouldn't have to worry about it. Modo and XSI have good toolsets to make uv's. But there is no beating an app that is built from the ground up to do just that.

Epiphany
25th Aug 2009, 10:19 AM
This is a screen grab from a tutorial I bought a while back. You make a sqaure box around your fuselage. Grab the fuselages polys one quarter at a time and build on the UV map until you get all four sides/top and bottom then adjust until you have everthing lined up. I'm not explaining it very good but hopefully the image will show you what I mean.

gpdesigner
25th Aug 2009, 10:29 AM
Epiphany that tute seems a bit to excessive I am sure it works but it looks like it is worse than plugging through LW's learning curve.
@Bill, man I wish I could just go out and spend on a UV app, that would make life so easy, but the little woman would kill me for spend more money on computer crap . . . .
plus it's that whole learning another program issue . . .

Well I am running into another issue when selecting a separate bunch of poly's to add to the map, When I try to place them on the stage the poly's are still connected. so I am deforming the mesh in the uv window. I remember somewhere reading that I should unweld the points before moving polys, I have to find that tute again . . .

Epiphany
25th Aug 2009, 10:36 AM
Epiphany that tute seems a bit to excessive I am sure it works but it looks like it is worse than plugging through LW's learning curve.

That might be, thats just the only way I know and it does make painted easy...I switched to modo and mapping a complex cylinder is basically 12 mouse clicks :evil:

gpdesigner
25th Aug 2009, 10:41 AM
:waa:

Matt
25th Aug 2009, 07:57 PM
I tried to get into UVing a while ago and never found a decent way to get it done and look good. Like you I wish I could spend out on UVLayout but just can't justify the money spendage to even myself let alone my wife. For what texturing I do, which isn't a lot, I tend to just stick with planar maps -- not the best but it works for me right now.

BillS
25th Aug 2009, 07:58 PM
What you're after in LW is greatbox.

greatbox.zip (http://www.foundation3d.com/uploads/general/2009/08/8-25-251619.zip)

its an .ls file but you can add it just like any other plugin and add it to the menu. When you activate it it will make a perfect box around the geometry or the selected polys. I normally move it to its own layer. So if you want to UV map something in the y direction. Select those polys and then a side of the "box" in the y axis. You can then move to the X axis and repeat this etc. When you're done just delete the box. Now everything in the UV space will all be the same scale since the "box" extends to the limit of UV space. Makes mapping decals etc a snap since all the mesh in the UV space is all the same scale.

BillS
25th Aug 2009, 08:01 PM
@Bill, man I wish I could just go out and spend on a UV app, that would make life so easy, but the little woman would kill me for spend more money on computer crap . . . .
plus it's that whole learning another program issue . .

That is actually one of the main reasons that I got it. If you think that its a trick to UV in LW alone, Try and keep 3 apps straight in your head. This way I learn one app and one only for doing UV's. Besides.. UVLayout actually makes doing it fun instead of a chore. Then its just a simple .obj save and load and its done no matter the final app the model is targeted at.

and its easier to beg forgiveness, than it is permission :D;)

colkai
26th Aug 2009, 01:50 AM
PLG tools in LW, the UVEdit allows placement of seams and makes the process much smoother. Saves learning Blender just to UV.

iampoops
31st Dec 2009, 12:25 PM
I am actually curious as to how you unwrap something in blender. I just downloaded it and its a bit confusing :(

infinityloop
31st Dec 2009, 03:15 PM
This might be very off-topic. But recently i had the chance to play around with a plugin (no, sadly not available for LW) called ::unwrella:: (http://www.unwrella.com/).
And the "out of the box" results were quite astonishing.

PolyGone
13th Jan 2010, 12:16 AM
I am actually curious as to how you unwrap something in blender. I just downloaded it and its a bit confusing :(

Well, the blender GUI is quite a bit different than Lightwave and takes some getting used to, but basically you select the edges you want to be the seams of your UV map, you make them seams, and then you unwrap it. It unwraps every polygone along its normal axis, so it
s really clean. As for the exact how-to, way too much to get into here if you're new to blender altogether.