PDA

View Full Version : huey coming in hot

kiwi123
2nd Jan 2008, 05:27 PM
Hi all,

This is something I've been wanting to do for a long time, on different levels. First of all, the huey has been lying around on my drive not being used. Secondly I've been wanting to combine 2d with 3d for a while, which I have done in several experiments, but not in a final piece.
Thirdly I've been wanting to do something a tad more abstract, which I have done before with the spitfire portrait in a way, but this is more in that direction.
So, this image has been done to satisfy all of these wishes.

I'm sure it's not to everyone's liking, but such is life.

http://www.foundation3d.com/uploads/art/2008/09/2-08-886023_tn.jpg (http://www.foundation3d.com/uploads/art/2008/09/2-08-886023.jpg)

The image depicts a huey gunship coming in to give fire support for their buddies.

A 1920 desktop size one, in case anyone cares can be found here:
http://kiwi123.military-meshes.com/HUEY/coming in hot1920.jpg (http://kiwi123.military-meshes.com/HUEY/coming%20in%20hot1920.jpg)

Cheers,

CAClark
2nd Jan 2008, 05:36 PM
The model look real nice mate, but for me personally, the style really doesn't 'do it'.

Art being as subjective as it is though, who gives a monkey's what I think anyway :)

Cheers!

Ps. Hope you had a good Christmas and New Year!

gpdesigner
2nd Jan 2008, 05:50 PM
really nice retro feel there kiwi,
The red gives me a sence of intensity, the breakup patterns in the colors makes me think of a fire fight . . . sort of like the opening of 'Apocalypse Now' after they start laying in the napalm. . . . I was thinking maybe even some stylized text would set that off really well . .
gp

Woody
2nd Jan 2008, 05:57 PM
Art being subjective - I love it, very painterly! Beautiful work Wiek, you never disappoint.
Care to elaborate on your workflow? I assume the setup and render was modo with post in Photoshop?

Jedi2016
2nd Jan 2008, 06:10 PM
I think it looks pretty cool, actually. :)

kiwi123
2nd Jan 2008, 06:13 PM
Craig: I knew you wouldn't like it :P And to answer your question, yes indeed ! Best wishes for the new year to you and yours.

GP: Good, the right idea came across then, and yes, I was thinking of adding text, but then that would make it a bit too poster like for my sense.

Woody: glad you like it mate, the initial work was lowres in photoshop, used an old render of the huey and worked it into a painting. After that was where I wanted it to be (a bit different from the end result), I took that painting into modo, placed the huey on top, adjusted the lighting and environment to match and rendered high res. Then followed a lot of painting and postprocessing in photoshop.

Andy3E
2nd Jan 2008, 06:19 PM
i think its fantastic, it really envokes the feeling of brutal combat, it just screams "apocalypse now", infact my only suggestion would be if you had some "First of the Ninth" textures add a couple of speakers to the sides really love the style and hope you'll experiment some more :tu:

(just dont stop doing the photoeal stuff that drives us nuts ;))

DaveK
2nd Jan 2008, 07:06 PM
Really nice 60s look!

BillS
2nd Jan 2008, 07:10 PM
I don't dislike it but I lean more towards you "real" looking stuff. Still a striking piece though. I think the sense of urgency is more because he's lost his tail rotor and is coming in for an autorotate. THATS exciting!

:)

PepeWan
2nd Jan 2008, 08:35 PM
I really like it; the only suggestion I would have is move the Huey to the right a little more, so it's got some space to fly into. It looks a little too centered to me, but that's just me.
Awesome job!

bmckain
2nd Jan 2008, 09:01 PM
Well for me, it's always a pleasure to see your work and I think it looks smashing on the front-page. :)

hemimotorz
2nd Jan 2008, 09:18 PM
I don't dislike it but I lean more towards you "real" looking stuff. Still a striking piece though. I think the sense of urgency is more because he's lost his tail rotor and is coming in for an autorotate. THATS exciting!

:)

Bank that sucker at 30 and bring her down :D

JackDeL
2nd Jan 2008, 09:32 PM
I love it! Great combination of media. :cool:

rjandron
2nd Jan 2008, 10:12 PM
I really like this. It reminds me a lot of artwork that would appear on the cover of plastic model kit boxes.

CAClark
3rd Jan 2008, 02:25 AM
I really like it; the only suggestion I would have is move the Huey to the right a little more, so it's got some space to fly into. It looks a little too centered to me, but that's just me.
Awesome job!

That would crowd the Huey behind it too much I think. The subtle background Huey to me allows the foreground one to be framed the way it is.

Cheers!

deepimage
3rd Jan 2008, 02:58 AM
Tré, Tré COOL Kiwi (Wiek),

Love this graphical retro look very much. It brings me right back to the day's off AirFix, Matchbox and Monogram. The covers off these boxes draw me right in the scenery and made me belief I was part of these events..................
As we speak I even can smell the clue and paint. I always loved the idea to mix 3D modelling and 2D graphics. In the end it's all about the final output, the way to it and witch workflow is used is just personal flavour. But what never chances is the eye off the master.

Just one question Kiwi, I guess you already tried it but I do wonder how the piece would look if the rotorblads were rotated 90 or 100 degrees. This would give the scene more depth?

Cheers,
Peter

Rigel
3rd Jan 2008, 05:55 AM
Wiek, nice piece of work. It looks like they are flying through hell (and they often did).

Don't mind Bill -- I can see the tail rotor. :)

Jonesy
3rd Jan 2008, 06:15 AM
I really like it. I always like to see 3D stuff that looks a little different from the photo-real. I totally agree with those that have likened it to the box art of a model kit, I love those illustrations. It's a shame the manufacturers tend to use photos more these days.

I'd love to see more in this style.

PepeWan
3rd Jan 2008, 07:05 AM
That would crowd the Huey behind it too much I think

Ha! I didn't even notice that one.

Meurig
3rd Jan 2008, 09:41 AM
I much prefer this to the regular styled renders also. It's got a nice intensity to it and looks like a painting. Much nicer to see things done in a different style.Cool stuff.

Mr. Wilde
3rd Jan 2008, 09:56 AM
I absolutely love it!

And it looks like a painting, which is neat, too!

Fantastic!

DELTA
3rd Jan 2008, 11:47 AM
Reminds me of old ARMY choppers helping out during a major wild fire... Just need the the extra equipment to carry the water or fire-retardent! Me likes :)

Prologic9
3rd Jan 2008, 01:07 PM
Overall I think its wonderfull but I can't help feeling its missing a little something

deg3D
3rd Jan 2008, 03:37 PM
Love it. Great take IMO. :)

deg

kiwi123
4th Jan 2008, 03:06 PM
Good to see y'all (except Craig :P ) like it !

Peter, the reason I have for having the rotor in that position is purely the direction it gives. Having it at a right angle to the helicopter brings it to a right stop (but I agree it would give more depth).

deepimage
4th Jan 2008, 03:37 PM
Peter, the reason I have for having the rotor in that position is purely the direction it gives. Having it at a right angle to the helicopter brings it to a right stop (but I agree it would give more depth).

I knew jou had a reason.........

Cheers,
peter

bsg
4th Jan 2008, 06:22 PM
Nice image. I always loved the design of the Huey (and it's now my wallpaper :-p )

BillS
4th Jan 2008, 06:53 PM
Don't mind Bill -- I can see the tail rotor. :)
But it isn't spinning though :)

Rigel
4th Jan 2008, 07:23 PM
But it isn't spinning though :)

Pssst - it's a still image, not an animation!

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Mapper
5th Jan 2008, 05:18 AM
Looks great :)

petes
6th Jan 2008, 03:48 PM
great look! i tend to like these looks when done well. My only comment would be that if you are going for that impressionistic look, maybe the Huey needs to be degraded somewhat. The sky is very abstract, rough and suggestive, but the Huey is clean and sharp. I am not talking about color wise, which I think looks great..I just mean the clean look to the model versus the rest of the render. Maybe add a grunge map to the render? Not sure..anyhow, thanks for sharing :-)

winston2020
6th Jan 2008, 06:09 PM
that's cool, I like the background

November Zulu
9th Jan 2008, 02:46 PM
It's a pretty amazing image. I realy like the intensity and the sense of horribleness that it brings out. My only crit is that it seems to be a UAV... there are no pilots... :)

kiwi123
9th Jan 2008, 03:09 PM
There are 2 pilots in the huey, have another look :)

janus
11th Jan 2008, 08:39 AM
I'd agree with Reaperman, she's crying out for those speakers! :) Love the piece overall BTW for me it a nice retro feel, reminicent of 2000AD back in the 80's :)

Gunner68
24th Jan 2008, 12:01 AM
Very intense---I Love It!

Gunner

DeltaZ
28th Jan 2008, 03:12 AM
Nice! Nice blur and Old feel!