Foundation 3D Forums

Foundation 3D Forums (http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/index.php)
-   Works in Progress (http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   Lamborghini Gallardo LP560 (SciFi) (http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5445)

Jmoney 15th Mar 2009 08:09 AM

Lamborghini Gallardo LP560 (SciFi)

9 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone!

I've been working on this for a while now. It's for my movie (personal project). Lamborghini Gallardo LP560 (standard version and one with a few sci-fi modifications). Let me know what you think!

The wheels are rigged with a few "look at" constraints, and can easily be flipped up using animation layers in MAX. I offset the timing so each wheel flips at a slightly different pace for realism.

Can anyone guess where I got the Hawk symbol from? I modelled it using a tiny reference photo from an old.....well, you guess! I'm using it as the symbol for the humans/Earth in my movie.

Thanks!

JMoney

P.S. Don't forget to check out the attached movie clips and let me know what you think! Both in Quicktime format. One is Sorenson 3 and the other .H264

Rigel 15th Mar 2009 08:42 AM

First of all, welcome to Foundation 3D.

Secondly, that is a beautiful model! Well done.

Mikala 15th Mar 2009 10:26 AM

Beautiful Lambo ya got there!
Look forward to seeing more on this project

PabloGrca 15th Mar 2009 12:19 PM

Welcome and very cool looking Gallardo. The looks familiar but I can't seem to place it right now. The flip down wheels remind me of "Back to the Future" movie series. :o)
Cool work on the animations too, I like the off set timing fx on the wheels.

Meurig 15th Mar 2009 04:39 PM

Very nice work on this so far!

BillS 15th Mar 2009 06:25 PM

All I can think is back to the future to. Just with an updated car. I don't know where the symbol came from but it came out great.

Mook 15th Mar 2009 08:45 PM

Very cool! And, as for the symbol, House Artreides, from Dune (specifically, Dune 2000 by Westwood Studios... darn it, now I want to play it...! :p) . ;) Recognised it straight away, it's a wicked symbol. :)
Love the flip down wheels. Do you take advance orders? :p

bmckain 15th Mar 2009 09:36 PM

Ok, that's cool. Would love to have a real flying car. :)

Rigel 16th Mar 2009 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmckain (Post 95498)
Ok, that's cool. Would love to have a real flying car. :)

Every time I'm stuck in traffic, that wish comes to mind.

Jmoney 16th Mar 2009 06:52 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone, thank you for the positive feedback!

Mook, you are correct! Dune 2000 - House Artreides. I wasn't sure anyone would remember that! That was my favorite PC game of all time. I have the CD sitting here on my desk! :LOL:

Here are some more PICS....One PIC is just an old MR chrome test I did last year.
I deleted some of the grill pieces intersecting with the torpedo launchers and laser cannons so there is a hole for them to go through. I didn't like how that looked before.
I also fixed the hood (not shown). I had two seperate channels going down each side of the hood. On the actual hood the middle section is indented. The shadows in my reference pics threw me off. You can see the old hood in the 2008 chrome test to see what I'm talking about. Anyway, it's fixed now.

Things I plan to do for my next update:
1) add the black tinted border to the windshield
2) add more detail around the weapons behind the front grills (still thinking on that)
3) remove the disk brakes between the wheel glow and add something a little more futuristic looking (I have some ideas)
4) Add more detail to the underbelly

Number 4 is where I'm not sure how to proceed. Should I keep the bottom clean and smooth (maybe some fancy paneling), or should I add dirty pipes/greebles and stuff? Any opinions?

Last, I never modelled the side mirrors. Being that this car was designed for space flight/combat (:LOL:, hey, it's my movie...right!), I figured the mirrors should go. Plus I think it makes it look sleeker without them, once again, what do you think?

Thanks,
JMoney

Treybor 16th Mar 2009 10:27 AM

Very cool!

Rigel 16th Mar 2009 11:52 AM

Nice renders.

Jmoney 16th Mar 2009 06:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This will probably be my last update for the next few days. About to start another busy work week (double shift tomorrow....ugh).

The rims/wheels are now finished (I love MR A&D materials). This is how I originally imagined them. There are fine copper lines running through the beveled channels within the inner rim. This car hovers, so I wanted them to have a magnetic look (for anti-grav).....at least that's what it looks like to me. The JPEGs are a little compressed to keep them under the 200K limit.

Next up, I'm going to detail the weapons in the front. Jazz them up a quite a bit! I have a few ideas.....

Thanks,
JMoney

Mikala 16th Mar 2009 06:13 PM

I'll be waiting to see the new stuff.
Nice idea on the copper wire.

Rigel 16th Mar 2009 07:44 PM

Beautiful wheels for a beautiful car.

MayaMan 17th Mar 2009 04:00 AM

What an utterly cool project! And nicely executed too... I love those wheels and the previous renders look superb.

Keep us updated, I'd love to see how this looks once its finished :)

Phoenix 17th Mar 2009 08:14 AM

omg, I honestly think you should patent those rims. IMMEDIATELY. I would so buy those for my car. (No, not the rocket assisted flying car part, but the internal lighting)

Jmoney 22nd Mar 2009 06:27 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Updated the weapons a little (laser cannon and torpedo launcher). Let me know what you think of the new torpedo launcher design compared to the old. I also resized it to make it about 30% larger, but shrunk the inner part.

The chrome pic of the weapons just has default lighting, no shadows (just a test).

Also, the two space pics are just for fun (as the title says on one). I didn't put much time into them (no motion blur, incorrect lighting, second pic missing exhaust flare, etc..), but thought they looked cool enough to show!

Thanks,
JMoney

Rigel 22nd Mar 2009 06:44 AM

The renders of the weapons look good. I like the designs. I also like how you cut the holes in the grille, like the weapons were an after market add on.

BillS 22nd Mar 2009 07:11 AM

I just want to know what they cost so I can start saving!! The new, bigger cannon looks better suited to the car.

karbo 25th Mar 2009 08:52 AM

Nice.How you do sparkles in Lambo model?

Mikala 25th Mar 2009 08:55 AM

The "Just for fun" pic reminds me of that shot in the first Heavy Metal movie. The one with the astronaut in a convertible.

BillS 25th Mar 2009 09:34 AM

That was a 55 vette though :)

Mikala 25th Mar 2009 09:35 AM

Yup. It is the way the shot looks that it reminded me of.

salotti 25th Mar 2009 10:16 AM

Excellent Job!

Jmoney 26th Mar 2009 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karbo (Post 97500)
Nice.How you do sparkles in Lambo model?

Do you mean the exhaust flares, or the shine off of the car? They were both done in post (After effects). I was using the Mental Ray Glare shader with a streak map for a while, but sometimes I wasn't happy with the results, especially during animation tests. I prefer the control you have in post.

The headlights and wheels are still using the glare shader, but I'm debating on changing them to self-illum and doing them in post as well. Both methods have their positives and negatives. I may do a combo method for those.

Quote:

Originally Posted by salotti
Excellent Job!

Thank you, and thanks to everyone else for the positive feedback! Much appreciated!

I can't do a whole lot more on this until I get my new rig. Animations with the quality and resolution (1920x1080) that I want take waaaay too long to render. Ever try adding object motion blur in Mental Ray with a one million poly+ object! :waa: Not to mention particle blur and post work!!!

I really miss image motion blur....so fast....especially with particles, which I want the engine exhaust to be........but not with Mental Ray I guess. :( Anyone have any suggestions on that?

Flashfire 26th Mar 2009 12:32 PM

That is simply gorgeous... excellent job!

Jmoney 31st Mar 2009 06:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Laser cannon test...(Sorenson 3, Quality=70%)

Note: There is NO motion blur in this clip. Mental Ray object motion blur looks fantastic (especially for lasers), but it renders waaaaaaaaaaaay too slow! It adds about 5 minutes per frame per laser!!! I'm currently looking for a way around this. Anyone have any ideas?

Also, I'd like to thank Howard Day! I used his particle tests from when he was building his Legacy ISD (several years ago) as a reference for building my particle system. It uses a script to move the lights into position when firing, and animates the light intensity as well.

So Howard, if you're out there, thank you for sharing your knowledge!

Rigel 31st Mar 2009 06:59 PM

That looks pretty good.

I don't know Mental Ray, so I can't help with the blur other than to suggest doing it in post.

Josh2481 31st Mar 2009 07:34 PM

I like it, the laser is to much for my tastes but that is my opinion. The rims are excelent. I really like the light inside em.