Foundation 3D Forums

Foundation 3D Forums (http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/index.php)
-   Works in Progress (http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   Enterprise-Refit Interiors (http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18893)

David cgc 17th Apr 2015 12:53 AM

Enterprise-Refit Interiors

For the past several months (I'm a slow modeler, what can I say?) I've been working on interiors for Dennis Bailey's movie-era Enterprise mesh. Since it's still my favorite spaceship, I'll be the first to admit I went into excessive detail on it, considering the size of most of the windows. Still, it does look pretty neat. Let's have some pictures:

I know the windows are a little dim. They're all individually lit, which is probably a bit wasteful, but it makes it simple to split them out for separate passes (which is my plan: boost the brightness on the windows by themselves so they better resemble the studio model while still having a bit of depth and dimension). It also means I can make a "red alert" version with the corridors and rooms bathed in red.

This version of the model is colored and detailed to match the Enterprise-Nil from the first three movies. The layout of the rooms is based more-or-less on the Strategic Designs blueprint set. I'm planning to retexture the model and replace some of the details (corridors, chairs, and consoles, mostly) to match the color scheme and sets from the Star Trek VI version of the Enterprise, as well (we can just agree to ignore the tan, TNG stylings of "The Final Frontier").

I've also got three swappable objects, based on locations that changed between the original Enterprise and the A. The officer's lounge under the bridge can be replaced with a dining room, the large shuttlebay from TMP can be swapped for the enclosed version from TFF, and the swirling, gaseous warp core from the early movies can exchanged for the pulsing TNG model. The idea is that I could easily mix-and-match to represent other Constitution class ships of varying configurations. I'm a big fan of the idea that sister-ships shouldn't be perfectly identical except for the name painted on the front.

Before I redress the model into TUC colors, I'm planning to make some crewpeople to fill up the rooms. My plan is UV map them, tweak the proportions to represent a few different basic appearances and uniform colors (maybe a dozen, tops) and duplicate and position them throughout the ship. By having the clothing covered by one UV texture map, I'm hoping I can easily replace the uniform textures and quickly make crews for every period of Starfleet, so I can just drop in, say, the First Contact uniform version of the crew if I'm doing a picture of a Constitution during the Dominion War.

John Marchant 17th Apr 2015 12:58 AM

Wow, David, fantastic job, im always happy to see interiors. We now how the computer power in most cases to do this sort of interior detail.

Parking my chair here to see the updates.

biotech 17th Apr 2015 01:28 AM

There is an impressive amount of work has gone into this.

Gordon Robb 17th Apr 2015 02:50 AM

Holy moly that's good

Dark Lane 17th Apr 2015 03:27 AM

Fascinating.....

GMD3D 17th Apr 2015 06:22 AM

Incredible work.....

nightfever 17th Apr 2015 06:23 AM

Absolutely amazing.
After seeing TMP and TWOK I always thought the main engineering room would be somewhere behind the deflector.

D-Jota 17th Apr 2015 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David cgc (Post 304125)
For the past several months (I'm a slow modeler, what can I say?)

Dude, you have a lot of material to show off and all it has cost you is several months? - You are anything but slow!

This is all pretty amazing stuff... - Well done!!

Request: Can you post some more renders from inside some of the rooms/corridors themselves?

trekki 17th Apr 2015 09:19 AM

Absolutely fantastic. But I think Nightfever is right, the engine room is behind the reflector.

Basill 17th Apr 2015 09:24 AM

Suh-weet! :cool:

I thoroughly approve of "swappable" too! ;)

D-Jota 17th Apr 2015 09:25 AM

I seem to recall that there are schematics kicking around the web supporting both opinions regarding where the warp core is actually located; not too sure if either have been supported by an 'official' reference publication or on-screen graphic though.

Pretty sure that Cygnus will have the relevant schematics archived somewhere.

amdfe 17th Apr 2015 09:48 AM

"I must have the ship!" - God

Stellar work, reallly. I do hope your refined mesh will be available one day. I think I would enjoy using this NCC-1701 version in an upcoming TMP project.

overseer 17th Apr 2015 10:25 AM

That is very impressive! Very cool. You could make your own "Enterprise tour" with this.

However, yes, main engineering is in the secondary hull (or engineering section) and is located dead center between the warp engine nacelles.

<treknerd>There are several reasons for this location as far as Treknology is concered:

1) It allows for the ejection of the warp core through a hatch at the bottom of that secion, and...
2) It allows for the ejection of the anti-matter (anti-deuterium) pods, also located at the bottom of that section (the matter/deuterium pods are kept at the top of the core, so both matter and anti-matter can be injected at opposite ends and then meet the dilithium crystal in the middle of the core, which then focusses the reaction and the plasma energy stream is created, which, in turn, is necessary to power the warp coils within the engine).
3) If te warp core were in the 'neck' that connects the two sections, it would be right in the way of the torpedo launcher and loading system, plus you would have to have much longer plasma transfer conduits that transport the high energy plasma to the nacelles.

Here is a Doug Drexler cut-away schematic as an example (so I'd consider this official):

https://silverspock.files.wordpress...._drexler_2.jpg

That design concept is consistent throughout the entire Star Trek franchise and all starship designs that are Starfleet based have this or a similar layout. One further reason is, that most ships that have this kind of "saucer + engineering" design, can jettison the saucer section in case of emergency (via explosives) and use it as a life boat. We haven't ever really seen this (except in "Generations", but the Galaxy-class had a native saucer sep function).</treknerd>

Still though, awesome detail. Very nice work!

Andy3E 17th Apr 2015 10:40 AM

For the redesign of the Enterprise, Richard Taylor and Andrew Probert worked together to give a semblance of 'order' to the ship so they thought about where things would be located and went so far as to create rought blue-prints, the Engineering section of the refit runs from the 'neck' along the top of the secondary hull, they generally stayed true to these plans except with ST V (gorram 65 decks?!?)
Best representation of this is in ST II when Reliant opens fire targeting main engineering and slices into the hull, you can see where the phasers hit externally and the corresponding location internally

here are some blue-prints of the Refit if they are of any help to ya

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/ksy-enterprise.php

unfortunately may of the original movie sets had been repurposed by TNG by time they got to ST V and VI so in return a lot of TNG sets ended up being re-dressed to serve as locaions on the E-A, most notably the engine room, so you'll have to take it with a pinch of salt how that is meant to fit into the Connie-refit ;)

overseer 17th Apr 2015 12:04 PM

Hm.. interesting. I've never seen that before (which in itself is curious). Learned something today. I guess if you have the core run all the way through, then that does make sense... odd still, but anyway.

lonewriter 17th Apr 2015 05:41 PM

This is really cool!

Pheylan 17th Apr 2015 05:44 PM

Fantastic work! I love what you've done so far and look forward to seeing how much of the interior you plan to do.

DaveK 17th Apr 2015 07:50 PM

Wow!

David cgc 17th Apr 2015 08:31 PM

That's a lot of replies. Guess I touched a nerve. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by D-Jota (Post 304153)
Dude, you have a lot of material to show off and all it has cost you is several months? - You are anything but slow!

I know people who enjoy modeling more are faster. I was hoping to have something workable done in a month, which maybe I could've done if making cool fan art were my full-time job. Modeling is always like pulling teeth for me, which is why I avoid posting WIPs until I'm near the end of the line. Things tend to go much faster once I'm in the texturing and lighting stage.

Plus, I'm the one who knows how many times I opened Modeler, than spent a half-hour starting at blueprints and screen-caps before placing a wall then going to sleep.

Quote:

Request: Can you post some more renders from inside some of the rooms/corridors themselves?
I'll run some off this evening. I wanted to get a lot of test renders done from the exterior so I could make sure everything fit together correctly (all the rooms had inner walls against the hull so there was no light leakage, nothing was poking out and making odd shadows on the surface of the ship, that sort of thing), but it looks like I've found everything.

Quote:

Originally Posted by amdfe (Post 304159)
Stellar work, reallly. I do hope your refined mesh will be available one day. I think I would enjoy using this NCC-1701 version in an upcoming TMP project.

That's the plan. I went back and forth on it, since I don't want to put out a hacked-up version of Dennis's model, but I figured that all refit-Enterprises are going to be pretty much the same shape, so it should fit anyone's model with a little adjustment. My plan is to put it up in the "unfinished models" section here, and include some notes in the Read Me about how to modify the base model of the ship so it fits (but I just know that I'm going to see someone who doesn't read it and posts a render with three officer's lounges on top of each other :p).

Quote:

Originally Posted by overseer (Post 304162)
1) It allows for the ejection of the warp core through a hatch at the bottom of that secion, and...
2) It allows for the ejection of the anti-matter (anti-deuterium) pods, also located at the bottom of that section (the matter/deuterium pods are kept at the top of the core, so both matter and anti-matter can be injected at opposite ends and then meet the dilithium crystal in the middle of the core, which then focusses the reaction and the plasma energy stream is created, which, in turn, is necessary to power the warp coils within the engine).
3) If te warp core were in the 'neck' that connects the two sections, it would be right in the way of the torpedo launcher and loading system, plus you would have to have much longer plasma transfer conduits that transport the high energy plasma to the nacelles.

This was hit on by Andy3E, but I wanted to give my own thoughts.

I went with Probert's original intention for the arrangement of the warp core (visible in this drawing, also showing the TMP version of the cargo and hangar bays), where the warp core (or "linear intermix shaft" as it was called back in '79) is shaped like a sideways "T", with the vertical shaft extending from the impulse drive to the bottom of the ship, and the horizontal shaft splitting off near the top of the deflector dish and going back to the warp pylons, where it splits into a "Y" towards the engines. The dark panels (blue or gray-green depending on paint job or lighting) on the neck, upper engineering hull, and nacelle pylons overlay them. I imagine they're access panels for maintenance or replacing segments, or they can be blown away to eject damaged sections of the shaft.

Main engineering itself isn't visible since I only made rooms that could be seen from the outside of the ship. It's two decks below the torpedo bay, and one deck above the three pill-shaped windows that I have opening into a Jefferies Tube.

Some people like to scooch the core to the aft end of the neck, to make room for a corridor extending forwards from Engineering in TMP, but I prefer to keep it as designed, behind the colored panel and plugging into the impulse deflection crystal.

As for saucer separation, I included a detail from Probert's drawing (and the Shane Johnson and SD schematics) of having a large coupling in the intermix shaft at the separation line near the top of the neck. For the TNG-style core, the pulses above the coupling travel up, towards the impulse drive, which now that I think about it doesn't really make sense. I was thinking of the original design where the reactants are mixed throughout the shaft, and it extends the height of the ship so the impulse drive can tap power from the warp reactor. Oh, well. The port holes are tiny, no one will be able to tell which way the pulses are going.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pheylan (Post 304187)
Fantastic work! I love what you've done so far and look forward to seeing how much of the interior you plan to do.

This is pretty much it. I just wanted to get stuff that'd be visible through the windows and shuttle bay. The interior and exterior don't match perfectly, so there's a fair amount of cheating going on that'll be more apparent when I post renders from the inside. The cargo deck is a bit narrower than Probert's matte painting from the first movie, which is more visible from the inside. The recreation deck is about half the size of the set in the movie. The main blueprints I used cheated it so that the shuttle bay viewing galleries were on the same level as a line of windows on the exterior, when they're actually a half-deck lower (I added stairs).

Still, working on and researching the project did tempt me to do higher-detail models of the interiors that would be suitable for interior renders. I'd kind of like to see what some of the sets from the movies might look like altered to represent different ships, or what, say, the TUC version of the Rec Deck looks like.

D-Jota 18th Apr 2015 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David cgc (Post 304192)
Modeling is always like pulling teeth for me, which is why I avoid posting WIPs until I'm near the end of the line.

I'm somewhat the same; my first few hours on a new project will almost certainly represent my progress at its slowest rate and what I'll create will more often than not be deleted entirely and started again from scratch. And like yourself I too am hesitant at posting WIPs that are weeks away from the finished article.

David cgc 18th Apr 2015 11:53 PM

8 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by D-Jota (Post 304247)
I'm somewhat the same; my first few hours on a new project will almost certainly represent my progress at its slowest rate and what I'll create will more often than not be deleted entirely and started again from scratch. And like yourself I too am hesitant at posting WIPs that are weeks away from the finished article.

In my experience, it's a bit like those studies they've done that show that talking about doing a new diet or exercise plan gives you the same feeling of accomplishment as actually sticking with it, so it makes it more likely to be given up. On the other hand, it might just be selection bias, since now that I only post end-stage WIPs, no one but me knows about stuff that never comes close to being finished.

So!

Interior renders. These were way more expensive than I expected based on how long it takes to render them from the outside, so I did them at 640x360. Plus, they're not supposed to be seen from the inside, so there's not a lot of detail to notice (and a few cut-corners that are 99.9% invisible from outside, like shadow artifacts from sunlight coming into the portholes because the interior walls don't perfectly line up with the exterior hull), so you're not missing much by having them at such a small size.

A few additional details you'll see here that I didn't mention before. The shuttle elevators in the TMP cargo bay are both animatable. There's also a large door between the elevators and the cargo bay which can be opened (as seen in the movie) or closed thanks to the magic of endomorphs. I added a big Federation logo to the door to give it some decoration, plus I've seen similar things on real hangars and the inside of the J.J.-Prise shuttle bay doors. I'm also unreasonably happy with how the landing lights turned out in the TFF version of the bay.

There are four paintings in the TUC officer's dining room. I brightened the render so they'd be more visible. The center two are portraits, one of Sarek (based on a publicity photo from The Voyage Home that I was able to find on TrekCore), and the other of Abraham Lincoln (a famous painting I was able to Google up pretty quickly). The paintings on the sides are landscapes. I assume they're reproductions of notable works, but I couldn't find them after a little bit of research, and since they'll never be seen up close, I just cropped them out of screen caps. I should probably also move the table forward a bit, since the outer half is right under the windows so it'd be hard to walk to. Not that you can really tell from the outside but, hey. I'll know.

The cargo bay transporter is a hybrid of the SD blueprints and a diagram in Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise. They're in the location from Strategic Designs, but the pad arrangement (with a large cargo transporter and three personnel pads) was from Mr. Scott.

Yes, every deck with a turbolift door visible has a unique texture with the appropriate letter on it. They're just large enough that they might be visible from the outside in close-ups. The numbers on the TUC lift doors are probably too small to be legible, but I'll probably do them, too, since it's already set up.

Most of the texture maps are transparent PNGs, so it's easy to change the base color. That was mostly for the benefit of the shuttlebay floors, where in TMP they were blue, but in TFF they were gray. It's also useful for the doors, since those tended to be different colors on different ships (or even different decks, on the TMP version).

trekki 19th Apr 2015 12:14 AM

I like it all very well. I am looking forward to the end result.
Keep it up ......

GMD3D 19th Apr 2015 06:02 AM

this is very good work,,

Rigel 19th Apr 2015 09:51 AM

Once you upload it, I will definitely fit these to the bmckain refit model.

As if that one needs more polygons! :D

John Marchant 19th Apr 2015 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rigel (Post 304275)
Once you upload it, I will definitely fit these to the bmckain refit model.

As if that one needs more polygons! :D

Thinking the same thing mate. These and Bob's Enterprise would look sweet.

lonewriter 19th Apr 2015 07:28 PM

These are incredible, great job again. Keep up the good work. I'd love to have interiors this good for my Nova class.

starship 20th Apr 2015 09:20 AM

I N C R E D I B L E work David!

bmckain 20th Apr 2015 10:26 PM

That's some serious work. I've been fussing with adding more rooms to my refit and I think you just solved a couple of issues I was facing.

billy-home 25th Apr 2015 05:50 AM

Amazing work there

overseer 25th Apr 2015 04:05 PM

Nice! I wish someone came up with a proper 'interactive tour' of a number of well known ships. I loved the "Interactive Technical Manual" back in the day. This is close enough! :)