Foundation 3D Forums

Foundation 3D Forums (http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/index.php)
-   Works in Progress (http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   Wings of War -WIP - bmckain (http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2357)

bmckain 7th May 2008 07:44 AM

Wings of War -WIP - bmckain

I really didnít think I would enter the contest but you guys have inspired me to enter. As admin I disqualify myself from prizes but I will go through all the paces just like you are.

I drew up designs ideas but I have yet to scan those in so Iíll just start by adding my initial blocking concepts. Right now I am working out design flaws that I was unable to express in pencil and I am sure I will modify the engines though the design wonít be compromised in the process.

The concept is a heavy assault VTOL. The wings and engines are articulated to allow rotation of the engines themselves facilitating in more focused directional thrust. The tail is a twin boom design and there is horizontal stabilizer/elevator assembly spanning between them. What is not showing yet is this thing is armed to the teeth; that is yet to be added. I may bulk up the fuselage a bit to accommodate arms and munitions.

ALp 7th May 2008 07:50 AM

That brings the number of VTOLS up to 4 , am I right ? :)
Fighter , Multipurpose, Light Transport , Heavy Transport and Heavy Assault :) :D
GOOD :)

I like the concept , looks tough ! :)

P.S. was waiting for you to join in

DELTA 7th May 2008 08:18 AM

Welcome aboard Bob, I'm glad you decided to play! :)

Venom 7th May 2008 08:53 AM

Welcome in the group of Mad Scientists! :)

BillS 7th May 2008 09:48 AM

Well its about time you decided to post. You've been teasing me for days now!!

Artificial Imagination 7th May 2008 02:02 PM

Well thats certainly different, very cool!!

Hey, question, are UAV's ok? If so, is it too late to join in?

bmckain 7th May 2008 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artificial Imagination (Post 37271)
Well thats certainly different, very cool!!

Hey, question, are UAV's ok? If so, is it too late to join in?

I know I am going to feel silly for asking but what is a UAV?

Never mind, I looked them up and the answer would be yes.

youngheart80 7th May 2008 02:28 PM

UAV - unmanned aerial vehicle...I think. ;)

And don't feel too silly cause now I'm questioning that answer too.

Artificial Imagination 7th May 2008 02:55 PM

Unmanned Aerial Vehicle is correct.

Probabaly about as silly as I felt asking what K.I.S.S. was, but thanks, I think I have something I can enter now :D

bmckain 7th May 2008 04:31 PM

Still working out design issues, a little refinement to the fuselage.

DELTA 7th May 2008 05:01 PM

If you go into as much detail as you are with your Enterprise, God help us... LOL

bmckain 7th May 2008 10:19 PM

I believe this is as far as I'm going to get for this evening. I've made considerable progress on the booms.

Rigel 8th May 2008 06:32 AM

Looks like it matches your drawings fairly close.

bmckain 8th May 2008 07:09 AM

Thanks Rigel, interestingly enough the committee took it back to the drawing board last night. Seems the CEO wasn't happy with elements of the design and asked for a design review. ;)

DELTA 8th May 2008 10:16 AM

Hay Bob, if you hate committees come out to the farm. We have big green fields. air conditioned buildings, and some of the best brownies you will find on the planet...

bmckain 8th May 2008 12:42 PM

Settled on some functionality changes. What you didn't get to see was a chin turret with twin guns that got scrapped. Went to the single canon and two support guns instead. Lengthened the anemic rudders, added intake vents and additional thrust ports (nozzles to be added) along with minor design updates on the fuselage. I feel good enough about it that I decided to get on to the nacelles.

Venom 8th May 2008 12:52 PM

Orca power! :D

JeffrySG 8th May 2008 01:09 PM

Love the design so far Bob! :D

DELTA 8th May 2008 01:37 PM

Looking great Bob. Would hate to have it after me.

BAROBA 8th May 2008 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venom (Post 37414)

Qouted for agreement :)

ALp 8th May 2008 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venom (Post 37414)

ORCA like in C&C ORCA? ;)

Venom 8th May 2008 03:50 PM

exactly :)

bmckain 8th May 2008 04:15 PM

Didn't have a lot of tme this afternoon so all I got done was beefing up the nacelle supports. I did get the logo done for the company and since I wasn't familiar with the Orca I went and looked it up. I think I'm safe, my design is considerably different.

[canter]

AeroCorp Logo

Wires and update

Orca

[/center]

bmckain 12th May 2008 10:23 PM

Made yet more changes to the fuselage and I am much happier with it. The previous version just wasn't portraying the disposition of the aircraft. The bulbous gun mounts helped that and I narrowed the front of the cockpit and bulged it up in the front a bit more. Now I am fussing with the exhaust and intake ports. I know what I want just can't seem to get thm right yet.

DELTA 12th May 2008 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmckain (Post 38024)
I know what I want just can't seem to get thm right yet.

I feel your pain Bob.... Nice update.

Madkoifish 12th May 2008 11:19 PM

Definetly have a more agressive look to it now with the lowered mouth and more bulbious canopy. Will the wings be returning?

ALp 13th May 2008 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madkoifish (Post 38028)
Definetly have a more agressive look to it now with the lowered mouth and more bulbious canopy. Will the wings be returning?

yess, will they? I liked the wings on it too

bmckain 13th May 2008 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madkoifish (Post 38028)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALp (Post 38037)
yess, will they? I liked the wings on it too

Thanks everyone! And yep, the wings will return. I may redo the nacelles as well before I get to that point. I think I figured out how I am going to do the jets and intakes last night so I think I'll move on with it today.

bmckain 13th May 2008 11:32 AM

I believe I'm finally happy with the gun mounts. The guns themselves are still just place holders and the paint is an exercise in paint schemes while I'm at it. Next is laying in the intakes and vents. I'm liking the business end of this beastie and I haven't gotten to the wings and their payload yet. Imagine being on a combat field and having one of these hovering and laying down a 360% path of hot lead. I wouldn't want to be anywhere near in or out of armour protection. I'm still toying with the idea of a gatling gun instead of a canon, might do both as variants.