Foundation 3D Forums

Foundation 3D Forums (http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Cafe (http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Star Trek Picard (http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21882)

lonewriter 25th May 2019 12:03 AM

Star Trek Picard

I saw the teaser for the the new Star Trek Picard. It begins 15 years after Admiral Picard retires. I was so glad to see Patrick Steward again. I think I'm going to enjoy it.

TrekMD 25th May 2019 11:52 PM

I'm really looking forward to it!

tension69 18th Jun 2019 11:46 AM

It'll tank, just like all the other recent efforts to revive it(Star Trek).

Even 'Sir' Patrick Stewart can't save the train wreck...I hear there are problems already.

Get real and realise the only sci-fi we'll be suckling on for the near future is The Expanse.

TrekMD 18th Jun 2019 09:16 PM

I'm curious about it. I have heard that they had some pretty negative feedback at some early screening of the show.

David cgc 19th Jun 2019 03:50 PM

I'm not enthusiastic. I was powerfully disappointed by season two of Discovery, and even though I'm interested in conceptually "experimental" Star Trek, I feel like a lot of people are hoping for TNG: Phase II and aren't going to be happy with whatever ends up happening.

lonewriter 8th Jul 2019 01:24 PM

I'm reserving judgment until I see it. I never listen to critics, most of them are just failed hacks who are jealous.

John Marchant 11th Jul 2019 06:30 AM

I will reserve my thoughts until i see it. Best to go in with low expectations and hope it surpasses them.

John Marchant 11th Jul 2019 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tension69 (Post 332918)
It'll tank, just like all the other recent efforts to revive it(Star Trek).

Even 'Sir' Patrick Stewart can't save the train wreck...I hear there are problems already.

Get real and realise the only sci-fi we'll be suckling on for the near future is The Expanse.

The Expanse, well that's no bad thing i think.

ronaldheld 12th Jul 2019 05:41 AM

will have to wait an see how the `10 episodes turn out.

lonewriter 20th Jul 2019 06:11 PM

The new trailer is out and it looks great, Data, 7 of 9 and even Hugh The Borg are in it. I was glad to see 7 as that means we should be seeing characters from TNG, VOY and DS9, I'm not sure anyone from Enterprise or TOS would still be alive. They also showed a Borg ship.
https://youtu.be/KbXy0f0aCN0

Zippy 21st Jul 2019 12:10 AM

I haven't been this excited for a show in a very long time!

ronaldheld 21st Jul 2019 07:34 AM

Stil going to wait and see.

TrekMD 21st Jul 2019 08:49 AM

The preview certainly looks good!

DELTA 1st Oct 2019 08:08 PM

After STD I have a bad itch

tension69 7th Feb 2020 11:45 AM

2 episodes in and I'm out.

Romulan 'time machine' + F bomb are just the tip of the iceberg. Bad directing, atrocious script writing, handwavium plot points etc.

Garbage.

Patrick Stewart should be ashamed.

Edit : Absolute garbage.

SG_Stargazers 8th Feb 2020 02:26 PM

I hesitate to call it absolute garbage. It went in some directions I really wish it hadn't, and it is not shaping up to be the final outing I would have liked for Picard's character, but I don't hate it. I really wanted it to be good, and it would almost be easier to bear if it were outright unwatchable (as I found Discovery to be), but it's not. It's almost the worst of both worlds (see what I did there? ;) ) in that it's not bad enough to dismiss but not good enough to really enjoy.

What I liked:
The pacing, I like how slowly things are developing (aside from some hectic parts in the first episode), and I enjoy seeing Patrick Stewart again, and I do like that it's not just re-treading old ground.

What I disliked:
Everything else. My single biggest complaint is the script writing and dialogue. I had the same complaint with Discovery, and this is a bit better, but it's still really cringe-inducing at times.

I dislike the set-design and wardrobe, also the hair and costuming, actually pretty much every design in the show. The Star Trek universe had a very cohesive feel to it and the style stayed true from the motion picture era of TOS through Nemesis. The uniforms seem to have devolved back to the early DS9/VOY era, and every other aspect doesn't fit in with Star Trek at all.

There were plenty of inconsistencies with the other shows, but they all felt like they belonged together. Even Enterprise blended better with TOS than Picard does with TNG/DS9.

That's my two cents, I'm only 2 episodes in. Like I began by saying though, I don't hate it. I can't say I like or enjoy it though. It's leagues ahead of Stargate: Origins in every regard though, so I guess we can be thankful Star Trek hasn't fallen to that level yet.

SG_Stargazers 17th Feb 2020 11:03 AM

I would like to revise my above statement; now 4 episodes in I do, in fact, hate it. Not as much as Discovery, but it's a runner up.

tension69 17th Feb 2020 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SG_Stargazers (Post 333843)
I would like to revise my above statement; now 4 episodes in I do, in fact, hate it. Not as much as Discovery, but it's a runner up.

I did call it...

My review :-