Foundation 3D Forums

Foundation 3D Forums (http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/index.php)
-   Works in Progress (http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   Lamborghini Gallardo LP560 (SciFi) (http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5445)

doncha_magoso 31st Mar 2009 07:37 PM

looks really cool!!

Love the work on the suspension and rims :)

DELTA 1st Apr 2009 11:16 PM

I have one very large crit!!!! It's not in my driveway!!!

Jmoney 6th Apr 2009 05:49 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Ok everyone, I've ran into a little problem.....well, actually, a HUGE problem!

Take a look at the two attached renders. One has an alpha channel, the other was rendered on a black background in max (no alpha). The alpha channel eliminates all of my glow and ruins the look of my lasers and glare! I've tried TGA, TIFF, PNG, and even EXR but nothing changes! The render on the black background (no alpha) is the way it's supposed to look.

One thing to note: When I preview the alpha in the max render window (by clicking the little alpha button), it shows all of the glow. Photoshop (CS2) and AE (7) don't keep all of the detail.

I need to to render out with an alpha channel, but not if it's going to kill the look of my render! Any ideas as to what is going on? I tried a Google search, but came up empty.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. I changed the torpedo launchers...again, and I added a little dirt.

CAClark 7th Apr 2009 03:57 AM

Not the best choice of Car (it's bigger brother would have been cool hehe), but in all seriousness, this is wicked.

Cheers!

Rigel 7th Apr 2009 07:17 AM

If the alpha is causing a problem with the glow, you may need to do the energy bolts in post. Or do a glow in post.

Jmoney 7th Apr 2009 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CAClark (Post 100574)
Not the best choice of Car (it's bigger brother would have been cool hehe), but in all seriousness, this is wicked.

Cheers!

Actually, I started this model as the standard Gallardo, then switched to the LP560 later on (I'll post some early WIP pictures). LP560 looks "way cooler" then the standard Gallardo. I thought about the Murcielago (it's big brother), but there's just something about the design that I don't like. It doesn't flow the same.
Then there's the Reventon.....now that is one wicked design! I would've done that one, but in my movie the Reventon will be the prototype that the bad guys use. I'm thinking some red glow for that one, and some new glow patterns. I don't have time to model that one as this one took me forever to make, so I'll probably just purchase one off of Turbosquid or something so I can actually start making my movies. I'm so busy running my business, and my son is about to turn one soon, etc.. Not as much time these days for 3D and movies, but I squeeze in what I can.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rigel (Post 100607)
If the alpha is causing a problem with the glow, you may need to do the energy bolts in post. Or do a glow in post.

That kinda sucks if I have to go that route. The particle system is so easy, and looks/works perfectly! It lights up the front of the car with a light script per laser blast, etc.. I was even going to add collision events for shield hits and damage! The down side is that it's slow as hell to render in MR with motion blur, even using the faster blur method.

Lasers and glow in post would be fast as hell, but I fear wouldn't look quite the same, and the workflow would be slower as I'd have to line everything up, add glow and flares all over the place, camera match everything, etc. Decisions, decisions......

Thanks for the replies everyone! I'll be back soon with some more updates on this (slow going). My "ultimate rig" is coming in about 3 weeks and I can't wait! My render times are about to drop down to nothing!

JustBob 26th Apr 2009 08:44 PM

I love it! Very well done, Jmoney.

I work for a wheel manufacturer so those rims really caught my eye. Great rims!

November Zulu 26th Apr 2009 10:35 PM

Wow... I just now saw this thread. The car is gorgeous and adding lasers is just redonkulous... I want one. Do you think you'll have time to post a render or a short animation of a torpedo firing? I'm curious to see what those look like.

Jmoney 10th May 2009 01:35 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thank you for the replies. If anyone ever manufactures those rims, be sure to send me a set (for free of course)! :D

Ok, here's an animation I've been working on. Once again, it displays fine on my LCD, but on my CRT it's really dark. I upped the brightness/contrast of the video prior to uploading, so I hope it displays correctly for everyone. BTW, what does everyone here do in that situation? I'd really like to know.

Format: Sorenson 3 Quicktime
Res: 1920x1080 (24fps)
Scene has audio, so be sure to turn on your speakers!

Enjoy, and feedback/crits welcome!

November Zulu 10th May 2009 10:27 PM

Sick! That was a really awesome job. The only crit I have is that the shield doesn't have a smooth transition from visible to invisible.

Rigel 10th May 2009 10:42 PM

The smoke works very well.

Akshay 15th May 2009 08:11 AM

woot

Jmoney 16th May 2009 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by November Zulu (Post 106582)
Sick! That was a really awesome job. The only crit I have is that the shield doesn't have a smooth transition from visible to invisible.

Good eye! I didn't even pick up on that. I think I'll have the shield start instantly, then phase out over a few frames which should look better.

I solved my glow problem. The MR Glare shader has an option to render a Glare pass only, then I comp it back over top in post. Works great (especially for the lasers)!

I'm going to start work on the next scene where the car flies into the nebula. I'll use a proxy of the car as a particle deflector which should give a nice effect.

Thanks everyone!

JMoney

CheeseMonger 19th May 2009 08:33 PM

Dude, this is crazy!!

You've done an excellent job and I kinda wish I could create something like this.. =P

djbiggs 30th May 2009 07:07 PM

if they did a redeux of "the last starfighter" this is what it would look like! excellent work!

Rob 30th May 2009 07:48 PM

awesome work.. and i don't know about max but by the sounds of it and what that looks like the filter/post render items are not saving tot he alpha, there should be a way to tie them in.. I just don't know.. If I notice howie on and not away I'll ask him to drop in he might know something that can help you ;)

Jmoney 19th Mar 2010 01:54 PM

6 Attachment(s)
UPDATES:

Took a long break from my Avatar Neytiri and wanted to finish this off once and for all. I wanted a little more detail for the low-poly interior. Even though you will never really see the inside of the car during my film, I know its there. :D

1) Modelled the windshield wipers

2) Trunk (front) interior....it's not like the real Lamborghini trunk as I wanted more trunk space for hand weapons, a first aid kit, and misc. supplies (not installed yet), etc.. I'm going to add more paneling/box behind the headlights for circuitry.

3) Added materials to the seats

4) Added more detail to the interior

5) New light rig

6) Finished all of the door/side gaskets. Now you can open the doors and the seals/gaskets are correct. Modeled all of the inner door trim. I still need to model this tiny little door latch on the inside though.

7) Modelled the side mirrors

8) Updated the weapons a tad

Coming soon, renders of the updated and fully textured underside of the car.............

Jmoney 30th Mar 2010 12:06 PM

5 Attachment(s)
1) New trunk w/working hydraulics

2) Textured bottom

3) Modelled interior door latch

4) Added aft torpedo launcher

5) New dash panel w/graphics

6) Also added trim around all grills (not shown)

JMoney

david webster 4th Apr 2010 02:55 PM

Wow missed this one,great model sir!