Foundation 3D Forums

Foundation 3D Forums (http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/index.php)
-   Works in Progress (http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   Map of Middle Earth (http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19567)

Amras 16th Nov 2015 07:30 AM

Map of Middle Earth
 
1 Attachment(s)
Had the idea to put such a map at the bedroom wall. But I couldn't find one that was big enough, and cheap enough.

So I thought, what the hell, I can make one myself. :D

So here we are, the first WIP of my map.

I used brushes for the mountains and trees.
http://captscott.deviantart.com/art/...2F8843629&qo=4

It is going to need a lot of postwork once everything is in its place.^^

Gordon Robb 16th Nov 2015 07:43 AM

Superb!

Rigel 16th Nov 2015 08:08 AM

That looks really good so far.

Crook 16th Nov 2015 09:14 AM

OOOOOooooohhhh!!!!

Is about the best comment I can make :)

Treybor 16th Nov 2015 10:48 AM

great start!

DigitalOrigami 16th Nov 2015 11:16 AM

That looks cool.

lonewriter 16th Nov 2015 03:52 PM

Nice start, I love making maps for my fantasy novel, I'm always looking for brushes.

You should share this over at
http://www.cartographersguild.com/profile.php?do=dst
They will like it.

Oldcode 16th Nov 2015 05:39 PM

AWESOME!!!!!! :evil:

Amras 17th Nov 2015 03:25 AM

Thanks guys!

Quote:

Originally Posted by lonewriter (Post 312401)
Nice start, I love making maps for my fantasy novel, I'm always looking for brushes.

You should share this over at
http://www.cartographersguild.com/profile.php?do=dst
They will like it.

Oh cool, that link will help me getting a few nice ideas for the postwork!
Thanks.

And yes, I could post the map there when it is done. :)

Crook 17th Nov 2015 06:52 AM

Really, you should think about having them printed onto an archive map textile material, and selling them on Etsy or what have you. As a fan based map, not a rip off from a book, I think that's allowed and I suspect there are a ton of people who would want a 'real' map of middle earth.

Amras 28th Nov 2015 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crook (Post 312421)
Really, you should think about having them printed onto an archive map textile material, and selling them on Etsy or what have you. As a fan based map, not a rip off from a book, I think that's allowed and I suspect there are a ton of people who would want a 'real' map of middle earth.

I know I should. But I wouldn't be sure about the "it is allowed" thing.^^

Rivers are done. Now for the details...

Starbase1 28th Nov 2015 10:24 AM

Being legal won't help you if a big studio decides to go for you - unless you can afford to take on their lawyers to argue the point...

Amras 28th Nov 2015 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starbase1 (Post 312770)
Being legal won't help you if a big studio decides to go for you - unless you can afford to take on their lawyers to argue the point...

One more reason for me to give it to the other fans for free. :)

lonewriter 28th Nov 2015 07:56 PM

Glad I could help. The maps looking good.. You could add names next.

Rigel 29th Nov 2015 08:39 AM

Beautiful work Amras. I always thought the mountain formations looked odd on that map; especially the u-shaped ones.

JimCrafton 29th Nov 2015 04:30 PM

Cool deal! What would be *really* cool would be to unify the maps from 1st age (such as what's in the Silmarillion) with the 3rd age maps in Return of the King. Maybe include guestimates as to where Valinor would be?

Amras 30th Nov 2015 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimCrafton (Post 312794)
Cool deal! What would be *really* cool would be to unify the maps from 1st age (such as what's in the Silmarillion) with the 3rd age maps in Return of the King. Maybe include guestimates as to where Valinor would be?

Like the second map on this page?
http://scifi.stackexchange.com/quest...ient-to-sauron

Rigel 30th Nov 2015 10:31 AM

Very small continents! I always assumed the continent of "Middle Earth" was quite large. The map in the book makes no indication it ends just beyond Mordor. I always just assumed the map simply showed the part of the world the story was involved with. But that map makes it look like an island, probably smaller than Australia.

Amras 31st Jan 2016 05:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rigel (Post 312813)
Very small continents! I always assumed the continent of "Middle Earth" was quite large. The map in the book makes no indication it ends just beyond Mordor. I always just assumed the map simply showed the part of the world the story was involved with. But that map makes it look like an island, probably smaller than Australia.

I also think that is goes much further to the east. I read somewhere that middle earth is kind of the old part of Europa with Hobbingen somewhere in England. The Time of the Story is set somewhere in our stone age (according to some of Tolkiens notes) and there is plenty of room for the continents to change in that time. (if you have enough imagination :D )

When the undying land was still reachable the earth was flat. After it was remove from the earth the earth became a sphere and only the elves with their ships where able to reach it. It was kind of replaced by America i guess. Also Numenor sunk into the ocean like the Legend of Atlantis.

If you are not too crazy about scientific details you can imagine which part of middle earth becomes what part of our world. :)

So, what do you think how much of naming should go into the map? I think that in the original map there is way to many names that you never come across or remember anyway. So I might only name those places that we remember from the movies. And the bigger rivers and some of the interesting places from the books.

Amras 31st Jan 2016 09:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Very time consuming... o0

Bluish water does look better on the map or does it?

Rigel 31st Jan 2016 09:43 AM

Names: I would keep the names to a minimum.

Water: It looks nice with the blue, but then I would expect the map to have colour in other places. With the brown colour, it's more like it was coloured with the ink used to draw the map. It's more consistent.

Amras 31st Jan 2016 10:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rigel (Post 315112)
Names: I would keep the names to a minimum.

Water: It looks nice with the blue, but then I would expect the map to have colour in other places. With the brown colour, it's more like it was coloured with the ink used to draw the map. It's more consistent.

Still experimenting with the colour. :)

That is the map so far in half of its size.
Want to make my own compass rose later. This one is just a place holder. :)

Oldcode 31st Jan 2016 05:10 PM

Looking really cool! :D

Rigel 1st Feb 2016 09:58 AM

I like the paper texture.

Amras 20th Mar 2017 03:00 AM

Little update. Adding all those names is a pain. :D
And I don't know if I should add all of them or leave some out.

GMD3D 20th Mar 2017 04:32 AM

excellent work

Crook 20th Mar 2017 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amras (Post 326064)
Little update. Adding all those names is a pain. :D
And I don't know if I should add all of them or leave some out.

If LOTR fans are anything, it's obsessive. I'd add all of them.

Treybor 20th Mar 2017 11:05 AM

I'm all for big fantasy maps with lots of detail.
Add all the names you can. :D
At least call out Rivendell and the Grey Havens.

Amras 21st Mar 2017 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Treybor (Post 326074)
At least call out Rivendell and the Grey Havens.

That was definitely on my to do list. ^^


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:33 PM.


2006 - 2013 Foundation 3D