Old 29th Aug 2008, 10:53 AM   #32
ALp
Registered Member
 Gallery
LightWave Vue Illustrator Corel Paint Photoshop Digital Fusion Premiere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigel View Post
Ah yes, nicely done.
so you can see it , on the webpage , 4 pics and the animation , right?
cause I was worried

In any way , there is a link to a DivX 6.0 - encoded AVI there on the side, if you still cannot see.

YouAintSeenNothingYet
Wings Of War Entry - Completed
ALp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Aug 2008, 10:23 PM   #33
ALp
Registered Member
 Gallery

Default Final Post

Hello , folks

Here I am to put some sense into my posts. This is my FINAL entry to the Wings of War contest.

1. Company background and history:
Asymmetric Aerospace is a small and dynamic company formed by few of the best Wunk Skorks engineers. They have quit Mocheed Lartin in protest of the so-called "trademark infringement" case, and entered the MOD bid for the Short Range Fast Frontline Transporter program (SRFFT).

The company has moved several times in a few months, this is why all the work is done inside the standard 40-foot container, which FAIRLifter (Fast Army Immediate Response Lifter) is bound to carry.

As will be shown, the FAIRLifter uses several rudimentary techniques to fulfill its mission.
1 - The forward-swept wing:
The forward-swept wing allows the FAIRLifter to stay under control in extremely high AOA (angles of attack). This was successfully proven by the X-29 and S-37 aircraft. Able to function under up to 60 degrees AOA, the wing provides sufficient drag to stop the forward motion of the FAIRLifter, thus giving the oportunity for point-precision landing and cargo delivery. This will be illustrated later.

2 - Close-coupled canard:
The close-coupled canard further adds to the ability to stay under control in high angles of attack and, unlike the "usual" configuration of elevation controls at the back of the aircraft, provides additional lift, causing the system to be more economical.

3 - Rudimentary Trust-Vectoring of the jet engines:
The TV is achieved by air deflection plates, one on the front and the other on the back of the jet engine. The front one is made of alluminum and the back one of titanium , to withstand high temperatures of the jet exaust. Swinging to 27.5 degrees on either side, the deflection plates can control the flow of air in to and out of the engine. They are mounted on swiveling heads and tilt the airflow to 45 degree angle in any direction. Front deflection plate is used to close the lower side of the engine intake when taking off an unprepared runway, to prevent the engine from taking in ground debris.

4. Wheel base:
Folding wheelbase is hand-powered with an option for external power source connection. The FAIRLifter can be brought over the container by hand by a crew of THREE - two wheel operators and one crew member for coordination. Hopefully it will be shown in the later clips and/or drawings by Asymmetric's personel.

5. Front Line protection:
The FAIRLifter is coated with radar-absorbing paint and made with high use of composite materials (especially since the forward-swept wing made of regular materials tends to flatter at high speeds and break into pieces). The FAIRLifter rivals RAPTOR and LIGHTNING in the RCS (radar cross section) size.

The FAIRLifter is made to take of almost vertically and land vertically, to fly low to the ground and use line-of-sight to hide from potential enemies, which are known since FAIRLifter is networked into C4I system of the battlefiled. But, in the event of being under attack from the ground or from the air, FAIRLifter has an electronic warfare suite, capable of blinding the incoming missiles with short burst of microwave frequency radiowaves. It can also use its extremely high maneuverability, and being a UAV, it can withstand up to 150G. This will enable FAIRLifter to escape almost any enemy missile in use today or in near future.

The rudders of the FAIRLifter hide its hot exhaust plates from almost any rear angle to prevent the heat-seeking missiles from hitting it. Also most of the panels and parts are symmetrical and interchangable to ease the front-line repairs.

In the event of missile hit or fuel shortage, the UAV is able to perform a hard landing, since wheels, which are peeking out from under the body, help to prevent damage to the vital systems in the UAVs underbelly.

6. Cargo capacity and treatment:
The FAIRLifter is able to transport a standard 40-foot container filled up with up to 25 metric tonns of hardware. The container is connected to the UAV via standard twist-lock mechanisms and the lifting assembly can move back and forth along the aircraft's forward axis. This is done in flight to reduce the instablities of the cargo carrying system which uses canard configuration. This is also done when the FAIRLifter is guided by the ground crew to "sit over" the container, after the rear wheel is deployed.

So, here we are up till now:
The initial blueprint shot over the shoulder of the chief designer at Asymmetric Aerospace, with company logo clearly visible:

The start of assembly process at Asymmetric Aerospace

Engines are starting to take form:

After being "caught" sneeking in and out, I had no choice than to make them and offer to handle their 3d artist impressions and that is the result :

The diagram for publication - Will post the legend and explain if necessary.

And the animation of the first flight. The animation is in FLV format on the webpage I created for the contest submission. There is also a link for DivX-6.0-encoded AVI for those who cannot see it. Do pay attention , the FAIRLifter is still "green", fresh off the assembly :

Sincerely ,
ALp

P.S.
The animation is made on top of video footage I shot with my Canon MVi800 video camera. It was lens-corrected and tracked with PFHoe and 3d elements later added in with LightWave3D 9.5. One problem is me anticipating the FAIRLifter be smaller than it really is. That is why it spends so much time out of the frame.

You can see the container, the air-pump and the grid that prevents hot air from the exhaust looping on itself and entering the engine. This sort of rig is widely used during VTOL aircraft test flights.

P.P.S.
Fusion was used to blend in the hypervoxels to create the jet exhaust effect. If required, I will post a tutorial on that later.

P.P.P.S.
Wondering when will this thread get visitors

The legend for the gray diagram of the FAIRLifter:

1 - 10 : Main system elements

1. - Port / Starboard navigation lights
2. - Port / Starboard rudders
3. - Elevator canard
4. - Swiveling TVC nozzle / intake
5. - TVC deflector plate
6. - Twist-lock assembly for container carriage
7. - Port / Starboard Phased-Array Radars / Electronic Warfare / Missile Detection sensors
8. - Elevons
9. - Landing gear, rear wheel and arc
10. - Landing gear, starboard front wheel, with manual wrench.

A - G: Takeoff procedure

A. - The lifter is manually guided over the container
B. - The lifter lands over the container, reducing its clearance, and the container is twist-locked.
C. - Frond deflector plates move down, rear deflector plates move up, thus the intake of air will be from above and the exhaust will be directed to a 45-degree angle backwards
D. - Slowly shortening the wheelbase, the lifter inclines itself into the wind
E. - After reaching a 45-degree Angle Of Attack (AOA) the exhaust jet is pointed straight down and passes through the center of gravity of the system, thus enabling the lifter to take off
F. - While in flight , the deflector plates return to the normal position and the lifter is transitioning into leveled horizontal flight
G. - Once leveled flight is reached, the landing gear is collapsed into place and the payload is on the way

YouAintSeenNothingYet

Last edited by bmckain : 22nd Aug 2011 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Repaired image links
Old 29th Aug 2008, 10:45 PM   #34
ALp
Registered Member
 Gallery

The legend for the gray diagram of the FAIRLifter:

1 - 10 : Main system elements

1. - Port / Starboard navigation lights
2. - Port / Starboard rudders
3. - Elevator canard
4. - Swiveling TVC nozzle / intake
5. - TVC deflector plate
6. - Twist-lock assembly for container carriage
7. - Port / Starboard Phased-Array Radars / Electronic Warfare / Missile Detection sensors
8. - Elevons
9. - Landing gear, rear wheel and arc
10. - Landing gear, starboard front wheel, with manual wrench.

A - G: Takeoff procedure

A. - The lifter is manually guided over the container
B. - The lifter lands over the container, reducing its clearance, and the container is twist-locked.
C. - Frond deflector plates move down, rear deflector plates move up, thus the intake of air will be from above and the exhaust will be directed to a 45-degree angle backwards
D. - Slowly shortening the wheelbase, the lifter inclines itself into the wind
E. - After reaching a 45-degree Angle Of Attack (AOA) the exhaust jet is pointed straight down and passes through the center of gravity of the system, thus enabling the lifter to take off
F. - While in flight , the deflector plates return to the normal position and the lifter is transitioning into leveled horizontal flight
G. - Once leveled flight is reached, the landing gear is collapsed into place and the payload is on the way

YouAintSeenNothingYet
Old 30th Aug 2008, 10:24 PM   #35
ALp
Registered Member
 Gallery

Talking People , can I please have some crits ? :)

Votes will start on tuesday as far as I can understand, but can anyone post some constructive criticism here ?

Cheers!

YouAintSeenNothingYet
Old 31st Aug 2008, 02:45 PM   #36
Treybor
Asylum Inmate

Gallery
LightWave Poser ZBrush Photoshop Premiere

Pretty darn cool
http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=1281

SubPatch Modeling Tutorial (Nudity Warning)
http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=3445
Treybor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Sep 2008, 08:01 AM   #37
BillS
Administrator

Gallery
LightWave Maya Modo Softimage XSI ZBrush Illustrator Corel Paint Photoshop

Whats to crit. I think it looks great! And the presentation is top notch!
Bill. aka LemmingDude. aka Ethangar, Ethanger, Ethengar, Ethenger, Ethan, Eth, ehenger, etharger, Ethel, Ehtangar, Ethanfar, hanger, Eclangers, Ethand, ethang, hangar, Ethanol, Ethangix, Ethangod, Eggnog, Ethanprop........
Lemming World
BillS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Sep 2008, 03:42 PM   #38
ALp
Registered Member
 Gallery

Thanks
As you can see on the blueprint render, it went through allot of changes, on the fly, so it seems the Kelly's motto is alive in it as well

It was supposed to have 3 engines, but my hands were not itching enough and I had some urgent projects to attend to during my off-work hours, so 2 it was

YouAintSeenNothingYet

Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Creative Works > Works in Progress