Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Creative Works > Works in Progress
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Works in Progress Critique works in progress, 2D 3D and animations

Old 27th May 2016, 04:21 AM   #871
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery
3DS Max Illustrator Corel Paint Paint Shop Pro Photoshop After Effects Premiere

Decided I should put some time in on this. Mostly just the B deck panels. Though nothing really externally could be called a particular deck as it is all split levels inside.

gotta change out those vent glows. Likely I will dump glows period in there.

I think it is mostly sub panels on this upper area and it is gonna be called done so I either move to the belly the fin or work out to the struts.
Old 27th May 2016, 09:01 AM   #872
Oldcode
Contributing Member

Gallery
LightWave Poser Photoshop After Effects Premiere

Love that Romulan BOP!

“Then forever remind him of his vow, Knight of the Old Code.”
Oldcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2016, 09:11 AM   #873
overseer
Premiere Member

Gallery
Bryce LightWave Vue Photoshop After Effects Premiere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madkoifish View Post
It is mostly cause I cannot decide on a case and the fact amazon is out of stock on a lot of stuff.
I can highly recommend the Corsair Carbide 500R Black. It comes with great fan placements, and has a 250 mm side fan as well (very quiet). I purchased it through newegg's eBay store for a fraction of the retail price (new); that might be an alternative.

Either way, good cable management, and one of the best cases I've owned to date.
Old 27th May 2016, 09:41 AM   #874
Gordon Robb
Contributing Member

Gallery
LightWave ZBrush Corel Paint Photoshop After Effects Premiere

Quote:
To add the img code I am just using the forums icons to automate the links IE click image button add url, then select it all, add link.
Can you just help me out with this bit? I think you're saying you host the image somewhere (Wordpress is your choice). So what steps do you follow to get the image to show, and link to your image on your site?

Sorry to a pearl dumb
Old 27th May 2016, 10:23 AM   #875
Gordon Robb
Contributing Member

Gallery
LightWave ZBrush Corel Paint Photoshop After Effects Premiere

OK, I think I figured out out. The support for the "?w" parameter is obviously with Wordpress, and doesn't work with my site. Still, it works better than the normal way of uploading files at the moment.
Old 27th May 2016, 05:51 PM   #876
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

The ?w thing is something to do with PHP I think as I could do it to I think imgr and a few other sites. It is hit or miss though heh but advantage is the forum here has antipage widening so if you link a 4k image itll autoresize to I think 700pixels in width.

sounds like you got it figured but just in case or ofr others to follow up:

For the vB code that is just using the icons available on the post entry ui.
so something like this.

{URL="https://bolidecascade.files.wordpress.com/2016/05/iorny.jpg"}{IMG}https://bolidecascade.files.wordpress.com/2016/05/iorny.jpg{/IMG}{/URL}

just replace the { } with [ ] if you want to do it manually.

I just use the icons adding image first then selecting the resulting code it spits out and then clicking the link icon and entering the url.

If you quote any post with images it should show the code.

I do recommend to avoid places like photoshit, imageshack, etc who do not do direct links and force people to go to a spam tracker filled site to "view" the image as 1 they add tonnes of overhead 3mb for a 100kB file or as often is delete content over time or randomly wont work or get blocked by some ISP or whomever manages the connections be it UNI work etc.

haha I am the farthest anyone could be from being a codejunky. I loath programming. >_>
Old 27th May 2016, 06:31 PM   #877
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by overseer View Post
I can highly recommend the Corsair Carbide 500R Black. It comes with great fan placements, and has a 250 mm side fan as well (very quiet). I purchased it through newegg's eBay store for a fraction of the retail price (new); that might be an alternative.

Either way, good cable management, and one of the best cases I've owned to date.
It is a itx board so I am looking at something small as this is a HTPC and only really needs say a 140 intake with maybe a 120 exhaust. It runs freakishly cool, even with the crappy old 460sc. Plan is for it to only have that single SSD. I had hoped to use onboard gpu as it has the hdw decoders for 4k and next gen codecs (while the 460 does not)

I am or was looking at the Fractal nano s or the phanteks entho evolv itx. Each has yuk points but both can take a standard atx PSU. I have a few of the newer corsair cases like a air 540 but corsair is not what it used to be as the metal is horribly thin. Anyhow amazon is sold out of these and only available from overpriced market sellers. Newegg or others often charge additional premium on shipping cases.

issue with the fractal is limited depth for psu as the cable route is only 160mm or so into the case. That and the cable end of the psu is open for all to see. In some ways front profile is a bit "antec door" ugly.

Issue with the phantkes is plastic plastic plasticy. EXP when compared to the matx version of the case. Top exhaust is a bit meh and the intake if I stuff a 240 AIO is a bit ugly vs a non obstructed entrance like the fractal.

Corsair really has no clean itx cases right now closest is the air240 but it is pricy for the build quality and is really so much more case than I need. It would do for a work or server pc with all the hdd options and cooling options.

in the end likely it will be the white evolv as the black red is too over used for my tastes (yeah the hdw ended up with a load of black red as that was all that was available )

Anyhow figured people would get a kick out of my 6yr old was a great idea back then pc case with a dinky 6X6 mobo in. building in a 800d isnt bad it is just air management sucks balls. It is designed to be negative pressure as everything is a exhaust with little to no intakes. Even with water cooling flow is important EXP when you have a large atx or eatx board with a large bank of verms overclocked proc and multi gpu configs. So you end up using the top 340 mounts for intake defeating the filters on the case. And then only end up with that one 140 as an active exhaust.
Old 28th May 2016, 01:17 AM   #878
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

ANYHOW,
Started to work on the strut replacements. I have moved the nacelles upward and forward to create a slightly more aggressive stance and to de-flatten the overall geometry.

Plan is to draw back the "feathers" more than they are now and to come up with something better than those rectangular boxes I had earlier.
Old 28th May 2016, 09:46 PM   #879
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Messing with struts and strut feathers. I also enlarged parts of the nacelles to give them more girth. Also note the change in the central fin. I am thinking this is much more aggressive and eliminates the surface area of the original. I will be returning the decal to the fin.

Old 28th May 2016, 09:48 PM   #880
lonewriter
Registered Member

Gallery
3DS Max Blender Bryce LightWave Terragen Vue Illustrator Photoshop

Love the B.O.P. I'll keep in mind the case your considering. I'm still looking at options for my build and since I'll have to buy parts slowly because of money, it'll be awhile before I have a new PC.
lonewriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2016, 10:22 PM   #881
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Depends where your aiming for system. The cases above are ITX only (size of the mobo) and are for my Media pc. The evolv matc and atx cases are nice least in videos hahahaha as no one near me carries them. Some of the higher end corsairs are nice too.
It also depends if you insist on a rom drive. I use a external now and actually have to replace it as sitting apparently has made it not read well (dust prolly)
I suggest units with clean airflow so filtered intakes say a row of 120s or 140s Id avoid ones with grills all over or in places other than the front and top. Side grills or stuff on the backside etc will just let dust in or screw up the flow by not letting the case expel it in a controlled manner.

I personally dislike all those angular plasticy robot face cases, I like something simple and clean. I also tend to spend high on a case as it is one thing that carries over from system to system for at least 2~3 builds. If not it gets handed down or reused elsewhere. Only time a case goes is if it has major limitations with current HDW like a lot of my early 2000 alum cases a Lian li and coolermaster ACTs they only have 80mm fan mounts and just cannot move air enough without noise. Well they just cant move air period lol.

Some cases Id buy.

ATX

Corsair 400C

Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 I own this as my main system. comes in white black silver and I think various trims. Fans are all updated since I got mine too. KIM though my work pc has no media storage etc. Just 2 work hdds along with a ssd. So if you plan to include mass media video/audio consider the hdd storage of this or any case. This one might suck for that. heh.

Corsair Obsidian Series 450D

Phantex evolv atx

Fractal Define S

Fractal Define R5

NZXT S340

NZXT H440

mATX

Corsair Obsidian Series 350D

Corsair Carbide Series AIR 240

Fractal
ITX

NZXT Manta

the ones above, there are others but itx is the most aggravating to build in super small cases as limitations of coolers PSU etc all get in the way.

I probably missed a few as I think corsair had some that I did not see on the quick browse. Anyhow have a look at newegg amazon ncix etc and then find a list you like and go to youtube and search reviews. most of the good eng reviews will be from newegg linus pauls hardware ausomesauce hardwarecanuks OC3d and a few I am likely forgetting heh. But see what opinions are on them. See what people complain about in the reviews on the websites too.
Old 29th May 2016, 09:29 PM   #882
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Remaining winglet bits. There is more to do to them but this is the rough pattern. Ignore the nasty uvw, heh. Time to work in the mechanical elements of these such as fast maneuvering drives and whatnots.

Old 30th May 2016, 08:35 AM   #883
Rigel

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop

That looks really nice!

------------------------------------------------------------
Other Projects

The Universal Joint
Beechcraft 2000 airplane
LadyBug (Firefly class freighter)
Rigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2016, 03:16 PM   #884
overseer
Premiere Member

Gallery
Bryce LightWave Vue Photoshop After Effects Premiere

The BoP looks fantastic. Very nice design choices overall.

As for the cases, the 450D looks very close to my 500R, except the 500R is has more rounded corners and a 250 mm side fan (definitely needed). Keeps my system at a nice 90F-95F (30-35C) - depending on room temperature - on low load.
Old 31st May 2016, 06:30 PM   #885
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Not to happy about the lower view of things. Thinking I should have arched the lower wing some but getting those curves on a up-swept part is a PAIN. I have considered leveling the object to ease build but working in the details on the adjoining surfaces to the existing ones would prove a PITA. Then again, I do like the wing surface aligning to the hull edge like it does. So a no win I guess hah.

Anyhow considering removing a set of those highspeed maneuvering engines for a single pair but larger, well wider as I cant get much taller. Then figuring out what to do for those lower sections to blend them in better.

OOps I really did not render any upper views for the work done there, heh. Mostly vents and extruding upwards of the inset panels and messing with the profiles of the larger "feathers"
Old 3rd Jun 2016, 04:25 AM   #886
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Slow going as I have been busy and lazy!!!! Hah mostly screaming at software as so much has been acting up or getting updated for the worse like that lame html5 fullscreen nag. UGH. add in hdds taking shits left and right and looking at the mess of some of them I have been moving tbs worth of data about to kinda sort it all. I hope hahahaha. It also doe snot help I keep modeling and deleting the work.

Changed out the inner strut details. I dunno what I will stick into there though. Thinking maybe heat sinks as thrust surfaces here are a bit moot given the central impulse/whatever it already has vs what we saw in ENT. I also unified the outer maneuvering thrusters into a single unit vs 4 smaller housings at various angles.

Ignore the material in the lower panels as those will be made base body color.
Old 3rd Jun 2016, 07:21 PM   #887
DaveK
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave Poser Photoshop Premiere

It looks beautiful!
Old 7th Jun 2016, 06:09 PM   #888
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Small small updates. heh. Junk in the wings and messing with brackets.

Moved over my wip dirs and max system files (autobak etc) to a ssd so it has really streamlined things as there is no spin up and slow saving to a hdd slowing workflow. hell at this time I do not even notice the autobak saves. Only issue is I should have sprung fro the 480gig drive as my wip dir is 350gigs heh so I have only moved current projects to the ssd. Considering moving my system page file to this drive as well. Yeah a ssd isnt best to r/w over and over but with the costs of the things, the performance pays if it only lasts 2 yrs.
Old 8th Jun 2016, 04:55 AM   #889
Oldcode
Contributing Member

Gallery
LightWave Poser Photoshop After Effects Premiere

Looking great!

“Then forever remind him of his vow, Knight of the Old Code.”
Oldcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jun 2016, 10:12 PM   #890
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Oh for anyone worried when this part vanished it is back. I also finally got around to taking off some of those crappy too small feathering off the upper vent housing.

I also have been messing with sampling rates on the gloss of surfaces. As somewhere it seems I need these set to ridiculous levels to get a decent reflection off lum lit objects. 250+ or so. I could not find any other setting to allow me to smooth it out. Joke is I could swear I did not have to resort to that high of a sampling number in the past. TOO bad there is no supersampling or interpolation ramp I could use to help yet keep it a cheap hit in render. BAH. Likely one of those 2013 from 2010 things that took this long to annoy me! >_<
Old 10th Jun 2016, 12:57 AM   #891
ST-One
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave TrueSpace

Doesn't Max have something like the Adaptive Sampling function LW has?
There you can render an image with only one AA pass and then let the Adaptive Sampling smooth out what's necessary without having to apply AA to the whole image again (this render has only 1 AA and 512 AS - and it's still smooth and relatively noise free, and that's with Monte Carlo set at only 1 Ray/Evaluation).
Old 10th Jun 2016, 03:52 AM   #892
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

AA has nothing to do with the complaint I have. This is FG related reflections and gloss. IE photons in scene. You could AA this with every computer in the world and it wont "fix" this issue. It is also not something I can do globally either. It is a local setting that has to be set on everything. There might be some means to fake this or override this as a global setting but I have yet to find it. The issue is when it comes to LUM or self ilum in arch design mats the reflected light is grainy even though everything else is smooth. (see the renders) In the past i could use the interpolation within FG to sorta blur these photon hotspots into a nice glow without having huge numbers and with little "looks like blurred dots" effect.

No idea of any of this would translate to non mental ray systems.

Part of this is a issue I think with attempts to do linear flow in things and using others ideas of what that is. Thus making a mess of what workflow I had. Stupid crap as messing with gamma etc. But this is a issue more noticeable since I moved from 2010 to 2013.

Either way it was something I decided to spend a hour or so on and to move on for now as I would rather model that **** with settings or deciphering terminology between apps.
Old 11th Jun 2016, 09:16 AM   #893
3D_CG
Contributing Member

Gallery
3DS Max Blender LightWave Terragen ZBrush Gimp Paint Shop Pro Photoshop Digital Fusion Premiere

Location: Spokane Washington, North Side in a quiet neighbor hood, Tell I start My Harley, Then its NOISY...

That is looking really nice..

awesome stuff

"Remember The Vets who fought for our Freedom" ...
Intel I7 980 OC'D to 5.1 GHZ, Water Cooled, Gigabyte MB
132 gig ram, 5 HD's, TITAN Z Black , GTX 1080,
LightWave 11.6.3, 32 and 64 bit

http://boincstats.com/signature/-1/user/355618/sig.png
3D_CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jun 2016, 06:07 AM   #894
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Really loose stenciling on the fin. The darker wing thing might be altered to be a bit thicker. The green bits would be openings for sensor gubbins. I dunno how I will approach this be it detaily bits in or translucent panels with bits o' light inside. The cutout which is a bit hard to see will have all sorts of to scale lumpy bits in so off sorms etc that would represent specific sensor arrays and bits they want extended out away from the ship. It is a bit iffy as some of it is in the wash of the impulse drives but well eh. Argument I guess could be the wing does dip below the flow of the drives. . . . . There will probably be smaller sub plates across the rest of the fin. I am not sure if the plating will pass through the logo or go around it. Likely it will pass through as to appear like a painted on emblem. I still have not decided wtfh to do with that undercut object that is between the impulse drives. If I will drop the physical wing over this area or leave that block in place.

Sorry only one render as this took forever. . . . gotta drop those surfacing samples back down to fuqgrain again. And yeah couple of major turned edges going on but not gonna re render PFFFFf
Old 24th Jun 2016, 09:01 AM   #895
Treybor
Asylum Inmate

Gallery
LightWave Poser ZBrush Photoshop Premiere

I love all the avian elements in your design. I like Romulan ships with that type of design. Like the ones Atolm used to create.
http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=1281

SubPatch Modeling Tutorial (Nudity Warning)
http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=3445
Treybor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jun 2016, 06:21 PM   #896
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

He still makes them over at trekBBS
http://www.trekbbs.com/threads/late-...f-prey.280566/
Now I dunno if he has a all in one place as each is often in it's own thread.

Another small update with basic extrusions made. I do need to clean up that main hull the fin interacts with as there are too many grid lines there for my liking.
Old 25th Jun 2016, 04:18 PM   #897
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Decided to just color some panels to see if that hides the mushed up detail as I forgot they were part of a pattern on the backside of the ship. Added the lumpy bits off the back of the fin and started with some ideas for the spine sensor appearance. I might push away from the glows to some sort of emitter shape inside the holes.

Old 26th Jun 2016, 01:06 PM   #898
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Started for some reason to mess with the impulse assembly.

Not sure I am sold on the housings themselves and all the tarting up just makes it stand out more. So I might redo these things or rethink how they will be assembled. IE no more big rectangular nozzle thing. MM dunno I might cop out and leave it as well! The added gubbins within the cutout though might be retained.
Old 9th Aug 2016, 11:49 AM   #899
eagledocf15
Premiere Member
 Gallery
Photoshop

Quote:
Started for some reason to mess with the impulse assembly.

Not sure I am sold on the housings themselves and all the tarting up just makes it stand out more. So I might redo these things or rethink how they will be assembled. IE no more big rectangular nozzle thing. MM dunno I might cop out and leave it as well! The added gubbins within the cutout though might be retained.
Keep "messing with the impulse assembly" still! Great work!
eagledocf15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Aug 2016, 03:38 PM   #900
3D_CG
Contributing Member

Gallery
3DS Max Blender LightWave Terragen ZBrush Gimp Paint Shop Pro Photoshop Digital Fusion Premiere

Location: Spokane Washington, North Side in a quiet neighbor hood, Tell I start My Harley, Then its NOISY...

Those nurnies are perdy....

Awesome looking work..
2 thumbs up

"Remember The Vets who fought for our Freedom" ...
Intel I7 980 OC'D to 5.1 GHZ, Water Cooled, Gigabyte MB
132 gig ram, 5 HD's, TITAN Z Black , GTX 1080,
LightWave 11.6.3, 32 and 64 bit

http://boincstats.com/signature/-1/user/355618/sig.png
3D_CG is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Creative Works > Works in Progress