Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Creative Works > Showcase
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Showcase All finalized work, 2D, 3D, and animations

Old 8th Feb 2010, 08:35 PM   #61
Phoenix
Contributing Member

Gallery
3DS Max Illustrator Photoshop Combustion After Effects

Stay the **** out of my threads and stop acting like a child who's upset he isnt getting his way. Reported.
Old 9th Feb 2010, 12:29 AM   #62
Starbase1
Registered Member

Gallery
Blender LightWave Modo Poser Terragen Vue Gimp Paint Shop Pro Photoshop

OK, as someone who has:

a) Built directly from the second generation Blue Marble
b) Bought these.
c) Started using them in Lightwave
d) Studied astronomy at degree level
e) Is an artist member of the IAAA

I'd like to add something...
  • These maps are noticably better colour than the Bm2 sets, which are too intense in colour.
  • The specular map is very good, and does a greatjob of picking out major rovers and lakes.
  • The cloud map is the real gem of the set - MUCH better than anything else I have seen.
It will take a little work in LW to get exactly the right surfaces to use these, (my oceans are coming out a bit dark right now, and the spec channel needs a little noise), but with several of us having them, I'm sure we can share some tiny SRF files to getthe most out of it.

I also want to convert the topographic to a normal map, (bump to normal is not so tunable I find).

Nick, (who will start posting images once he is doing the dataset justice!)

Starbase1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Feb 2010, 01:14 AM   #63
Starbase1
Registered Member

Gallery

OK, if it's OK with Phoenix, I propose we start a "Slartibartvast's Workshop" WIP thread, to get the best LW settings and surfaces for the maps.
Old 9th Feb 2010, 01:15 AM   #64
Phoenix
Contributing Member

Gallery

I'm glad you're enjoying them! The coloring of the diffuse map actually wasnt the hard OR time consuming part. If you've ever used the BM set (which you have) you'll notice that the coastlines (the shallow water) isnt in it. That was the most time consuming thing to make.

and Edit: Sure go for it bud.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Feb 2010, 04:16 AM   #65
Jon D
Banned
 Gallery
3DS Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Here's a side by side showing the same regions of the map, first one's mine and second is standard blue marble. This is the closest looking region to the blue marble map I could find on mine and it STILL looks heavily modified.
I can see a potential problem here - there's a ton of artifacts that shouldn't be there

I've brightened it up so you can see it, but it's still visible to me in the normal image
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	modified bright.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	36218  
Jon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Feb 2010, 05:34 AM   #66
bmckain
Wire Junkie

Gallery
Bryce LightWave Poser Vue Photoshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by al3d View Post
Buisness?..LOL..please. you've never finished anyting in your life. So stop saying this tuff takes hrs..not my fault if you don't KNOW how ti do it fast enought.ANy idiot with photoshop can do a "coast line" in 15 minutes...all the maps have the proper mask for that....seriously!... But don't try to fool the members in saying you've worked on these countless hrs. I will stay away from your threads...but i see total BS like this and the SELLING IT?...it needs to be called on. I can not hurt your fantasy buisness..since it does not exsit, i can not hurt your artwork, you never make any..as to hurt you...that's your style..not mine.

Seriously folks!...you're buying his BS like it's a Donut!....

As for selling this!..LOL...don't bother, i'll make the same shit and put it up for free, in LW' Maya and i'll get others to convert to C4D and Max..
I am sorry to have to do a public dress down but I don't see how I've been left any choice since I believe the other admins and mods have done their level best to handle this politely and quietly.

What is happening right now between the two of you is exactly what I won't tolerate on these forums. It seems to me I've made myself more than clear on this matter many times and I believe I have made it clear I am more than willing to take what ever actions might be necessary to that end. I would appreciate it if neither of you pushes me to that point because I really am a nice guy to the point of being taken advantage of.

There is plenty of forums here for everyone to enjoy and it comes to this. Stay away from each others threads pure and simple. I would say don't even bother PM'ing each other since from what I can see it's useless. Everyone here understands you don't like each other and pretty much everyone doesn't care. So stop with the endless poking, prodding, baiting, flaming and bitching. Whatever the two of you would like to do to each other in person has absolutely no bearing on these forums and that should be all I need to say about it.

I will consider the matter closed and further such posts will either be deleted or result in policy enforcement.
Old 9th Feb 2010, 06:04 AM   #67
Tony Gardner
Premiere Member

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop After Effects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbase1 View Post
OK, if it's OK with Phoenix, I propose we start a "Slartibartvast's Workshop" WIP thread, to get the best LW settings and surfaces for the maps.
Ahem, that's 'Slartibartfast' mate. And if you are going to start a Slartibartfast's workshop can we please see Africa mark II with the nice crinkly edges?
Old 9th Feb 2010, 08:54 AM   #68
Jmoney
Contributing Member

Gallery
3DS Max Mudbox Photoshop After Effects Premiere

All I can say is....WOW!!!

I thought I had the nicest Earth mesh around before, but after using Phoenix's land map and following his instructions on the atmosphere, my Earth just went to a whole new level!

Absolutely amazing! I added night lights to my version as well as a few other minor things, and would love to post two renders I made here (with Phoenix's permission of course) to show what can be done with these maps and settings!

My old Earth had a 3 light system, but using Phoenix land map and atmosphere technique, I only need 1 light now because the colors and highlights are correct from the start!

If you are serious in making the best Earth renders possible, do yourself a favor and buy these maps, well worth the price in my opinion. I've followed every single Earth tutorial out there over the past 5+ years, and combined them to make the ultimate Earth, but these maps really make a difference! (and no, I don't work for Phoenix or anything, LOL!).

Thanks,

JMoney
Other WIP: Earth Final Version
Link: http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/s...b8ac772&t=8498
Plasma Grenade
Link: http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=12983
Jmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Feb 2010, 09:15 AM   #69
Starbase1
Registered Member

Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmoney View Post
All I can say is....WOW!!!

I thought I had the nicest Earth mesh around before, but after using Phoenix's land map and following his instructions on the atmosphere, my Earth just went to a whole new level!
What software are you using?
Old 9th Feb 2010, 09:35 AM   #70
Jmoney
Contributing Member

Gallery
3DS Max Mudbox Photoshop After Effects Premiere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbase1 View Post
What software are you using?
3dsmax 2009. I couldn't use the scene file Phoenix sent (Max 2010), so I just used the maps with my Earth, and changed my atmosphere using the screen captures he sent. I added night lights and and a few little tweaks and BAM! One fantastic Earth!

JMoney

EDIT: I couldn't use the gradients as I think you need Max 2010 for them as well, so I adjusted mine by eye based on the screen captures. Everything came out perfect! Thanks again!!

Last edited by Jmoney : 9th Feb 2010 at 09:37 AM. Reason: something to add...
Jmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Feb 2010, 02:31 PM   #71
Phoenix
Contributing Member

Gallery

Bob, thanks for the reply, it's appreciated As for the rest of you: Dude, you bought the maps, you dont even need to credit me now, much less ask to post renders. Do whatcha want, just dont re-sell the maps themselves

Thanks for the kind words, folks. I'm really glad you're enjoying your purchase!

Furthermore btw: Dave, yeah I know of that artifacting problem. Luckily it's not viewable when rendered in a 3d package, only when in photoshop or the image is viewed directly. Not entirely sure what caused it, I think I may have oversaturated a layer when working with it. Either way, it never caused any serious problems. I plan on removing it though and when I do that map will be given to those that have purchased it as an update.
Old 9th Feb 2010, 02:52 PM   #72
Starbase1
Registered Member

Gallery

OK, I have started a WIP thread, for sharing tips on LW surfacing.

http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/s...d.php?p=150704

Nick
Old 9th Feb 2010, 04:12 PM   #73
lonewriter
Registered Member

Gallery
3DS Max Blender Bryce LightWave Terragen Vue Illustrator Photoshop

I built a planet in LW once so I know the basics but these maps will make a great Earth. I'll contact you soon to buy it. Starbase, thanks for the new WIP thread.
lonewriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Feb 2010, 04:45 PM   #74
3D_CG
Contributing Member

Gallery
3DS Max Blender LightWave Terragen ZBrush Gimp Paint Shop Pro Photoshop Digital Fusion Premiere

Location: Spokane Washington, North Side in a quiet neighbor hood, Tell I start My Harley, Then its NOISY...

this is cool...learn someting new everyday...

thanks

"Phoneix"
You said you might share the settings for LW users ??? yes no??
I never could make a decent looking planet....but seeing yours..There is hope... I guess .. hehehe

"Remember The Vets who fought for our Freedom" ...
Intel I7 980 OC'D to 5.1 GHZ, Water Cooled, Gigabyte MB
132 gig ram, 5 HD's, TITAN Z Black , GTX 1080,
LightWave 11.6.3, 32 and 64 bit

http://boincstats.com/signature/-1/user/355618/sig.png
3D_CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Feb 2010, 05:55 PM   #75
Phoenix
Contributing Member

Gallery

Hey 3D_CG, I'm glad you can learn something from this whole thing. Best bet is to keep an eye out on the wip that starbase has up as I will be providing as much data there as I can which can hopefully be used to guide LW users who wish to replicate my results without buying the maps and whatnot themselves. I'm not stingy on my work - main thing people are paying for with my package is a pre-made scene with shaders setup and my maps, not the knowledge on how to do it
Old 11th Feb 2010, 06:30 AM   #76
Starbase1
Registered Member

Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Funny thing about saturn is it's very bland. Making a high res map would be little more than adding swirls and such. As for the rings... gah, I have a HUGE rings texture sitting around here somewhere...
I have the occultation data from Voyager as an image, which makes for a rather impressive ring system! Though that's just one channel, and working everything out for both the lit and unlit sides at different angles is not easy! There's some good new data around from close observations of the shadows of satellites on and through the rings though...

As for the planet itself, I attacha truly wonderful image from Cassini, which shows exactly the sort of things I'd like from a texture - combine a map for this with high res ring maps, and it would be jaw droppingly good!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PIA12513.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	36298  
Old 11th Feb 2010, 06:25 PM   #77
DELTA
Registered Member

Gallery
Blender Bryce LightWave Mudbox Photoshop Premiere

All I can say is WOW!
Star Trek was a big piece of my childhood... Spock got me interested in the sciences, Scotty got me interested in engineering, and Bones got me interested in healing...Oh, and Kirk got me interested in leadership and Green women...
DELTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Feb 2010, 07:21 AM   #78
Starbase1
Registered Member

Gallery

I claim to be the first person to use Phoenix' Earth in the Resource Appreciation!

http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=8428

Nick
Old 16th Feb 2010, 07:39 AM   #79
Phoenix
Contributing Member

Gallery

very cool, thanks.

Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Creative Works > Showcase