Showcase All finalized work, 2D, 3D, and animations

Old 17th Apr 2010, 01:45 AM   #1
tan.j
Contributing Member

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop After Effects Premiere

Default What did tan.j think?

Hi,
I'd like to show what I thought about my 3D works, including their background stories and ideas. Some of what I'm going to show have been realized already, and the others might be realized. Anyway, I hope you enjoy, and I'm glad if you could get something new by seeing them

Contents

1. 1989: Drawings for "UFO 1990"

"UFO 1990" was a fan-fiction and a fan-made manga based on "Gerry Anderson's UFO". They planned by some members of a Sci-Fi-fan community in 1989 and I drew some conceptual sketches for them, but they were canceled.

2. 1999: Evangelion #4 (THE ENDí OF EVANGELION) [Link to a post will be added]

"THE END' OF EVANGELION" was a fan-fiction written by my friend based on the movie "THE END OF EVANGELION". Though Evangelion #4 had not been seen in the original movie and the TV-series, it played an important role in that fan-fiction.I designed it, and its head was the first 3D model that I made on my PC.

3. 2007-2008: Non-canon history of the colonial fleet and Picon design bureau (Re-imaged BSG)

I always need background stories for designing something. This history includes what I needed when I designed Battlestar Ouroboros, Minerva and Arvak class battlestars.

1. Timeline in tan,j's BSG Universe (post #7)
2. The doctrine, strategy and tactics of the colonial fleet (post #10)

Last edited by tan.j : 4th May 2010 at 08:11 AM.
tan.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Apr 2010, 01:59 AM   #2
tan.j
Contributing Member

Gallery

Default 1989: Drawings for "UFO 1990"

I belonged to a Sci-Fi-fan community in 1989, and some member of it planned to write a new story of "Gerry Anderson's UFO" titled as "UFO 1990". I joined this project and drew some conceptual sketches for this story. Unfortunately this project had been canceled because most of members had joined other amateur monster film project. (I was a main camera crew and a miniature VFX director.)

Recently I found unexpectedly one old sketch book, which included some of the conceptual sketches. I know the announcement of new UFO's movie project, and hope it would show us more wonderful images than what we imagined at that time.

New INTERCEPTER, new S.I.D. and Moon base staff
We all loved a cat suit and a purple wig, of course even now

New SKYDIVER and its crew

Other stuff

Old 17th Apr 2010, 02:06 AM   #3
GMD3D
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop

great I love this free hand drawing ..... great concepts .... anymore
GMD3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Apr 2010, 05:31 AM   #4
BillS
Administrator

Gallery
LightWave Maya Modo Softimage XSI ZBrush Illustrator Corel Paint Photoshop

Wow.. that would have been a HELL of an ambitious project. That is a ton of stuff to build!
Bill. aka LemmingDude. aka Ethangar, Ethanger, Ethengar, Ethenger, Ethan, Eth, ehenger, etharger, Ethel, Ehtangar, Ethanfar, hanger, Eclangers, Ethand, ethang, hangar, Ethanol, Ethangix, Ethangod, Eggnog, Ethanprop........
Lemming World
BillS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Apr 2010, 04:18 PM   #5
Mikala
Premiere Member

Gallery
LightWave Softimage XSI Vue ZBrush Corel Draw Photoshop Combustion Digital Fusion

Subscribed!!
Really looking forward to what they do with UFO in the new movie.
Old 24th Apr 2010, 12:46 AM   #6
tan.j
Contributing Member

Gallery

Thanks Taranis, BillS and Mikala

I might try to make a model of the Interceptor (Mk.II?), its design is interesting for current me
Old 24th Apr 2010, 03:39 AM   #7
tan.j
Contributing Member

Gallery

Default 1.Timeline in tan,j's BSG Universe

The first figure shows timelines of my non-canon vessels and technologies.

- Minerva and Pleiades: fixed in 2006.
- Hyades, Hesperides and Andromeda: fixed in 2006-2007.
- Ouroboros, Skinfaxi and Sleipnir : fixed in 2008.

Ideas of Hyades, Hesperides and Andromeda were born from discussions in Pleiades' WIP thread at Scifi-meshes.com. As shown in the figure all Minerva class vessels were lost in action during the first Cylon war or decommissioned until the fall of twelve colonies, so none of them was seen in the show

Battlestar Minerva was designed by the Picon design bureau based on early design for original 12 battlestars, which were designed by mainly the Caprica design bureau. So technology bases of Galactica type and Minerva class vessels were the same. As I would describe in a following post, Caprica's doctrine, which was a base for that of the colonial fleet, regarded short-range attack capability and the number of vipers as important for a battlestar, while Picon's original doctrine regarded long/middle-range attack and surveillance capability as important. Installation of middle/long-range missile tubes and long-range DRADIS to Minerva class vessels reflected Picon's original doctrine, strategy and tactics. Minerva and Pleiades were built at Picon and Libris respectively. The design of all Minerva class vessels, which included Hyades and Hesperides, was the same at the beginning of their ship building, thus Hyades and Hesperides were classified as Minerva class vessels.

Though the remodeled Andromeda was a prototype for a pod-less battlestar developed as the next generation one in a joint program among design bureaus of Picon, Libris and Gemenon, she was lost competition with Battlestar Mercury designed by the Caprica design bureau. Because a design concept of Mercury was more fit for the Caprica's doctrine.

In contrast, all Arvak class vessels were basically designed by the Picon and Libris design bureau. AIGIS and MEDOUSA had been developed and tested in the joint program as shown in the second figure, and installed first to Battlestar Sleipnir designed by Picon design bureau.

As wrote above, original 12 battlestars designed mainly by the Caprica design bureau. Generation-II (Gen-II) Galactica type battlestars were re-designed variants by the Libris design bureau, and the re-design work were carried out in parallel to constructions of original ones. There were two large differences between original and Gen-II ones;

- Water tank and storage volumes were enlarged, while missile tubes were removed. The upper part of the head section became a little bit thicker.
- Windows were reduced.

The Picon design bureau proposed to remove all windows for reducing a construction cost and damage risks, but this proposal was rejected by other colonies. Minerva and Arvak class vessels designed by Picon design bureau had no windows due to the same reasons. In addition to above, a damage control center might have been unified with a bridge in Gen-III or Gen-IV design against Cylon's intrusion to a vessel.

Next > The doctrine, strategy and tactics of the colonial fleet at the beginning of the first Cylon war / The first counteroffensive - Original "Yang's sting"
Old 28th Apr 2010, 05:37 AM   #8
today
Contributing Member

Gallery
LightWave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tan.j View Post
Thanks Taranis, BillS and Mikala

I might try to make a model of the Interceptor (Mk.II?), its design is interesting for current me
You defiantly should!
Old 4th May 2010, 06:16 AM   #9
tan.j
Contributing Member

Gallery

Thanks today.

Yep, I would try to make a mesh of Intercepter Mk.II after I finished current battlestar project
Old 4th May 2010, 08:10 AM   #10
tan.j
Contributing Member

Gallery

Default The doctrine, strategy and tactics of the colonial fleet

Mmm! It's very hard to write in English...
---------------------------------------------------------------------

1. At the beginning of the first Cylon war

When the first Cylon war began, the doctrine, strategy and tactics of a newborn united fleet of twelve colonies had been still based on Caprica's ones, which had been established in the conflict era among colonies.

In the conflict era, combat zones were basically limited within one solar system or within one planet and its satellites in most cases. Moreover, a period of a battle was order of a few months or less. As a results, the doctrine and the strategy were constructed from a viewpoint of concentrating large amount of military powers to a point at the same time. This concept substantially did not consider the existence of frontlines (frontsurfaces) and caused making light of the logistic system for the supplying.

Requirements for battle groups during the conflict era, each of which had consisted of four Cylon Basestars and 12 or more battleships, were mobility and bombardment powers to near targets. Thus, most of battleships of the fleet at the beginning of the Cylon war were pocket battleships called Gunstars, which were fast and had many KEWs (Kinetic Energy Weapons), while their armor was not enough against fire powers of Cylon Basestars. Ironically, Gunstars came to be attacked by Cylon Basestars that had been used as shields against enemy fires for them in the conflict era.

Spatial supremacy or dominance of the military power in human territory was gained by the Cylon forces in the early stage of the war, because higher mobility, Gunsters' superiority over Basestars, did not function due to the lack of effective logistic system.

All colonies were invaded by Cylon at least once and a large numbers of close combats between the colonial marines and Cylons were repeated on the colonies. But once a combat zone was fixed in a narrow space due to Cylons invasion to a certain colony, Gunstar-based battle groups could give heavy damage to the Cylon forces and their occupation of the colony was prevented. While the fleet had not yet found effective measures for battles on scattered frontsurfaces.

Though Battlestar project had been begun around five years before the beginning of the war in order to get invasion ability again, the progress of the project had been delayed by the Cylon invasion.

2. The first counteroffensive - Original Yang's sting

Admiral Alan Yang, who was born in Picon and commanded six Picon battle groups, was ordered to find the homeworld of Cylon. Though he and his battle groups could not find it during their first duties, they could identify more than 30 of supply bases for Basestars. Most of them were located on low satellite orbits of gas-giant planets in old solar systems. A large amount of magnetoelectric noises from every star at the center of the system hid the supply bases from DRADIS, while influences of them on Cylons were quite moderated inside of a large magnetosphere of the gas-giant planet.

Adm. Yang and his officer groups made two plans to attack those supply bases and Basestars around them with cooperation of the Picon design bureau (PDB), based on Picon's old tactics. In contrast to Caprica's doctrine etc., those of Picon regarded "long-range attack" as important.

One was direct bombardment by "Mega-Gunstar", which was a Gunstar with a large KEW and was being designed by PDB in parallel with the Battlestar project. The other was long-range attack by using sub-light speed cruise missiles. However "Mega-Gunstar" had still been only a plan and most of sub-light speed cruise missiles that they had were obsolete.

"Mega-Gunstar" - The concept of it may be accidentally quite similar to that of SnipeStar by L2K at Scifi-meshes.com. The tip of a large KEW cannon was positioned near the gravitational center of the vessel. Total shape and two DRADIS dish design would be used by Battlestar Andromeda and Sleipnir. I decided that they were design keys of the Picon design bureau when I began to design Battlestar Pleiades in 2006.

An proposal of one young engineer in PDB, Jasmin Tan, changed a situation. She proposed the development of new cruise missiles based on the Viper prototype, which was called as Viper Mk.0. She and her design team assured that the first missile could be deployed within 4 months, because her design team had finished tests of unmanned recon variants of Mk.0 already.

Viper Mk.0 - Its design was based on "an impression" from one of Ralph McQuarrie's concept sketches, which was used in a movie poster in Japan. I chose hexagon and triangle as design motifs consciously.

The following 3 months from the start of a project, which was named as "SKANDA (Super KEW Attack from a Non-detectable long DistAnce)", Adm. Yang and his staff studied about new tactics, which came to be called as "Sting". While, some Viper launch tubes that had been built for the first Battlestar of Picon were installed to Gunstar "AGNI", which was the flag ship of Yang's battle group, at the Picon shipyard. Moreover, around 10 Viper Mk.0 had been refitted to recon variants by PDB.

A recon variant of Viper Mk.I - It has a dish-like passive sensor complex on its back, and plays a role of a point sensor of passive sensor arrays constituted with at least 7 recon variant Vipers. I called this kind of variants and/or a sensor complex as "Eye of Horus", so its symbol is marked near the tip of the Viper.

Though the headquarter of the fleet did not object to SKANDA, implicitly required to cancel the "Mega-Gunstar" project and concentrate their resources to the Battlestar project. At that time, the mass production of Viper Mk.I had been began already and the first Battlestar of Caprica, GALACTICA, was waiting for its rigging on a satellite orbit of Caprica.

to be continued...
Old 4th May 2010, 05:50 PM   #11
BillS
Administrator

Gallery
LightWave Maya Modo Softimage XSI ZBrush Illustrator Corel Paint Photoshop

Man for a guy that isn't a native English speaker, You write a hell of a good back story.
BillS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jun 2010, 10:52 AM   #12
bmckain
Wire Junkie

Gallery
Bryce LightWave Poser Vue Photoshop

Somehow I missed this. Really neat stuff. Too bad it fell apart but that happens a lot with fan stuff. Anyway, hope you do a few of those designs, they are great, imo.
Old 15th Jun 2012, 02:33 PM   #13
zinjo
Registered Member
 Gallery
3DS Max Vue Illustrator Corel Draw Paint Shop Pro

Tan J I lover your battlestar work.

You are one of the few artists who actually remembers that battlestars have armor plating and the Galactica was "canibalized" of her armor plate before being decomissioned. Hence the reason why all of her "ribs" are showing and the Pegasus' and Valkyrie's weren't.

Thanks

BTW a true fan of your Macross work. Can't wait to see more!
zinjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jul 2012, 06:18 AM   #14
Starbase1
Registered Member

Gallery
Blender LightWave Modo Poser Terragen Vue Gimp Paint Shop Pro Photoshop

Good stuff! If you (or anyone else come to that) could use them, I have a book with plans of pretty much every Gerry Anderson vehicle. 2 ortho views only unfortunately, but still rather good.

Nick

Starbase1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Creative Works > Showcase