Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Techniques, Instruction > 3D
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

3D Tutorials and your questions on your particular 3D application. Or post questions for general 3D help.

Old 10th Jan 2018, 03:21 PM   #1
Lemon Wolf
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop After Effects

Default LightWave - Lightwave 2018 confusion

Hi.
Its really nice that there is finally a new version of Lightwave around but i am really so used to the old system that i have problems converting old surface settings to the new system.
Is it even a must to convert the surfaces from the standard system to Principled BSDF in order to benefit from the new render engine?

I tried to apply some textures to the new Principled BSDF surfaces with the node system but i cant find or do not know where to input my diffuse channel textures as their is no function available

Does it even make sense to try to match the look of older models exactly?
The spot light cone angle is maxed at 90 degrees now, but i need 140 for something to look right.
Lemon Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jan 2018, 08:32 PM   #2
David cgc
Premiere Member

Gallery
LightWave Maya Illustrator Photoshop After Effects Shake Premiere

You do need to use something other than the "standard" surface model to get the benefits of PBR. The new on-line manual has a pretty good explanation of the theoretical differences between the old style of surfacing and the new model on the page for the "Standard" surface.

For instance, the original idea of the diffuse texture is that it balances the reflectivity/specularity. Areas that are more reflective are less diffuse, and vice versa. And both need to be reduced to compensate for transparency, if applicable, so your diffuse, reflection, and transparency percentages should all add up to <100% (since some light is just absorbed by the object).

The new surfaces do all that for you, so you shouldn't need a diffuse map, your spec and roughness maps should provide all the diffuse information you need. Of course, none of us realized why the diffuse channel was a thing, so it was just used as a place to make things darker for dirt maps and whatnot. If that's what the diffuse texture you're working with is for, add it into the color channel with a multiply blend with your base texture.

I don't think it'd be possible to match how old models looked, unless they'd been carefully built with PBR principles in mind. Ideally, adapting a model to PBR should look different by taking some of the glossy CG look off of it.

I expect the spotlight thing is probably another side effect of trying to be more realistic with the renders. Having a greater than 90 probably breaks the area-light elements that have been added to it, since it'd be emitting behind itself. On the plus side, I just realized that you can make realistic lasers now with a spotlight with a cone angle of zero and a size of not-zero. With the new volumetric system, it might even be the best way to do beam weapons for sci-fi scenes.

I've just made an all-new content folder for 2018 and accepted that all the old assets I have are going to have to be hand-converted, initially with a lot of trial-and-error, to the new system. Well, I'd been saying I wanted to get better at understanding surfacing...
David cgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jan 2018, 07:58 AM   #3
Lemon Wolf
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop After Effects

Quote:
Originally Posted by David cgc View Post
You do need to use something other than the "standard" surface model to get the benefits of PBR.
Oh no, i was afraid of that.

Quote:
Of course, none of us realized why the diffuse channel was a thing, so it was just used as a place to make things darker for dirt maps and whatnot. If that's what the diffuse texture you're working with is for, add it into the color channel with a multiply blend with your base texture.
Thats exactly what i need the diffuse textures for.
I tried the blending method but its not looking right. Merging the image information of the color and diffuse map into one map has a completely different look. I wish there would be a way to somehow apply the diffuse map in a more subtle way.

Quote:
I expect the spotlight thing is probably another side effect of trying to be more realistic with the renders. Having a greater than 90 probably breaks the area-light elements that have been added to it, since it'd be emitting behind itself.
Thats too bad tho. This is breaking an effect that works well with LW 2015.

Quote:
On the plus side, I just realized that you can make realistic lasers now with a spotlight with a cone angle of zero and a size of not-zero. With the new volumetric system, it might even be the best way to do beam weapons for sci-fi scenes.
Thats a very good idea.
Lemon Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Techniques, Instruction > 3D