Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Techniques, Instruction > 3D
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

3D Tutorials and your questions on your particular 3D application. Or post questions for general 3D help.

Old 7th Feb 2018, 08:06 AM   #1
Beavercorp
Registered Member
 Gallery
LightWave Photoshop Premiere

Default LightWave - Aggi TATV TOS Enterprise animation weird s curve on diagonal

Hey everyone, I'm at work so I don't have any pictures to upload currently, if you need them I'll upload them later if you don't understand what I'm trying to describe

I'm having an issue with this particular mesh when trying to create an animation like orbiting a planet, it seems to prefer the Zed axis and will align itself at the beginning with the Zed axis turn to 45 then at the end of the animation turn back to match the Zed axis.

I'm sure it's a setting that's saved with the model in the scene file, however I don't know what it is, or how to turn it off. I've only a simple novice animator. Can anyone help me? Pretty please?
Beavercorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Feb 2018, 08:11 AM   #2
Beavercorp
Registered Member
 Gallery
LightWave Photoshop Premiere

Sorry admins, I always seem to have issues with the site, it timed out and then posted 3 times.
Beavercorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Feb 2018, 06:28 PM   #3
David cgc
Premiere Member

Gallery
LightWave Maya Illustrator Photoshop After Effects Shake Premiere

So what you're doing is using the translate tools to move the ship in a curved path, and then the motion-options to align it to path, rather than hand-animating it's orientation?

If I'm understanding you right, it has to do with how the model was modeled, and what direction it's pointing in. A proper fix (rotating the model file so the front is pointed towards Z+) is almost certainly more trouble than it's worth, since you'd need probably need to adjust all the texture maps.

The quick and effective fix is to create a null and parent your ship to that. Animate the null just as you did the original ship, and then rotate the ship model (or it's original controller null) 90 or however much so it's pointed the way you want it.
David cgc is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Techniques, Instruction > 3D