Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Creative Works > Works in Progress
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Works in Progress Critique works in progress, 2D 3D and animations

Old 25th Jan 2020, 03:38 AM   #1771
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery
3DS Max Illustrator Corel Paint Paint Shop Pro Photoshop After Effects Premiere

Figure I posted it elsewhere Ill post it here, if there are any insights on ryzen 3 series cpus and modern hdw let me know as I am still "shopping"

Looks like I will be dealing with win10 sooner than wanted as mentioned in a GD thread my server is taking a slow final crap. GOOD RIDDANCE X58. Crappiest gen of hdw ever. Given in 2013 I replaced the x58 system with my 4770k and a 770gtx just 2 years later shows how crap it was.

ATM I have decided on a 3900x Ryzen on a ASUS ROG crosshair 8HEROmobo (want those usb ports and versions) Sadly the lower cost mobos lack all the usb 3.2v2 or only have one or 2 3.2 v1 ports FFF

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gd6ndm

Only thing I am on the fence for is the Ryzen stuff. heard nightmares about drivers and chipset stuff but most of all of that is from aug and sept.

The 1500 does though include a nice case, and a nvme m.2 and a 320AIO all things I could do without if I have to. Prices at PCpart are ehhh as amazon and newegg offer combo deals that can drop the totals about 60~120usd.

I might also hold out a few months to see if prices lower, ryzen 4 series is rumored to not arrive until 3rd quarter so I do not see 570 boards and 3 series cpus dropping much. Ram and ssd/nvme is projected to double so eh.

PSU and ram I am a bit of a loss on as so many brands I was used to are gone and replaced by stuff that looks or have names that sound SOOOO dodgy.

Since I waffled on about hdw here is a render with some ribbing ideas to give something to the nose of the ship. Dunno, originally thought to add raised ribs like some of the ones voy had on the hull in places. I might leave them of fin the end.
Old 26th Jan 2020, 04:41 AM   #1772
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Most of the day was spent dealing with the damned server blue screening and arguing with the enviro HDR and getting my hull material to look the way it SHOULD. I am guessing some of it is more 2017 oddness. Like those blotchy surfacing I had issue with a few months ago. turn things on and off and stuff works as it should again. GO FIG. Outside of this and some re-planning of small stuff that affects nothing visual all I got done today that was worth a update is the "floor" of the deflector well. I wanted to eliminate that block of hull that is needed for the butt end of the torpedo launcher so elevated panels and plating. Also cloned in some valve things off another ship for some visual relationship.

Old 26th Jan 2020, 06:24 PM   #1773
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Where I left things last night. More stuff in the deflector recess and finished up the lifeboat insets.
Old 27th Jan 2020, 07:35 AM   #1774
bmckain
Wire Junkie

Gallery
Bryce LightWave Poser Vue Photoshop

I enjoy watching the build. There's a lot to learn from seeing how others approach their projects. I may not always say a lot but I do see work flow and ideas which I make personal note of.
Old 29th Jan 2020, 06:12 PM   #1775
Gidiot
Registered Member
 Gallery
Blender

Wow MadKoifish, you've got some skillz there!! beautiful ships!
Gidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jan 2020, 06:42 PM   #1776
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Yeah I wont forget how much watching others model infront of me on different software made me pause and think about how I did things and how much it affected my methods after. Mostly in boxmodeling and just straight up creating bits from just a single polygon plane.

Not a huge change just some plating and decals. Been busy researching hdw for the pc upgrades.

Thinking of a EK kit for the cpu as AIOs are now in the 170usd range and well they only last 5yrs give or take I have been lucky the 2 I do have are from 2011 and 2013 and only the old 120 unit is noisy with obvious more air in it then when new. Doing the GPU atm I think is a bit useless as it is a rx570 and well heh. Spend more on a block than the gpu is worth! I dunno when though that I will upgrade it 2060/2070 likely or whatever comes out in a year 3060/3070 lol but those would probably be 500- and 700 if NVIDIA keeps up with the price hikes each model. Def avoid AMD for gpu in the future though. Sleep bugs are worst annoying but have yet to run into game issues as I do not think I have gamed since swapping out the 770. >_>
Old 29th Jan 2020, 10:37 PM   #1777
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

small update that upper room has windows and a interior now.

Old 30th Jan 2020, 07:05 AM   #1778
bmckain
Wire Junkie

Gallery

Sometimes small updates are the biggest one. At least that seems to be how it works for me.
Old 30th Jan 2020, 07:11 PM   #1779
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Eh dunno, heh. Mostly spending time debating on waiting for pc hdw like a new AIO that is yet to release or to go open loop as the AIOs are in the 180usd range now. But distractions of shopping etc I am a bit distracted. So small updates due to a hour here a hour there and loosing concentration and doing a window set and forgetting I was suppose to work on the lower saucer and hull instead! HAH
That and wed was ONE OF THOSE DAYS. goof up my latte, spill cat food all over, etc.
Old 1st Feb 2020, 04:54 AM   #1780
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

A soso attempt at plating and detailing the flat area around the windows. Shrug

Old 1st Feb 2020, 04:55 AM   #1781
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

lol last post was hung for like 11 hours.

Junk in the central well, and a image of the front of the ship.

Old 2nd Feb 2020, 07:06 PM   #1782
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Lots of spinning about and just a few hull panels redone and will probably move them around yet some more.

Also found a fuk up. . . dunno how I missed it but the angle of the back area of the lower hull changes angle to a much shallower one and creates this ugliness. While it is not as evident in render it shows up clearly in the generic lighting mode.

not sure yet what I will do about this. Leave it or fix it. Repairing it could involve loosing ost of the hull detail work on this part. It would all depend how easy it is to patch in a repair or how much things will get altered. Found a few more issues around the lower hull around the deflector which will have to stay, again they are only evident in certain lighting conditions. I must have really not been paying attention or goofed with smoothing groups to let these through.
Old 3rd Feb 2020, 05:15 AM   #1783
bmckain
Wire Junkie

Gallery

Nice updates.

I see what you are talking about on the lower hull. I remember having so many things to sort out on my Refit at the time. Fix one thing, find another. But yeah, those kinds of things always bug the heck out of ya.
Old 3rd Feb 2020, 04:43 PM   #1784
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

I usualy catch these though prior to collapsing the subdiv. Maybe I was distracted or had too many other things going on. If I remember this was when max was crashing a lot and I did import and patch in old versions of the hull so maybe at some point I did not verify after a restore of the file that this area was where I hat THOUGHT I left it. Some of the yuck could be the shading set up I have on the viewport.

Here is a render of that area, only thing sticking out is the change in angle, I dislike it but only fix for that is to redo the whole aft end so that undercut matches the forward saucer angle.

I know a good deal of it is because I wanted that angle change in the hull towards the back. Joke is it was all done for a feature I wont be using or are not likely able to fit into the hull back there without cluttering up the design.
Old 4th Feb 2020, 05:13 AM   #1785
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Ok, ended up patching up other parts of the hull as I disliked what was there and ended up addressing that lower area some by reshaping the curves some. It still has a voyager-esque bleh but instead it tapers into the main hull vs that weird union thing. It is still a bit naff due to all the loops moving as I had to alter the angle or parts due to work I was doing on the upper part of the hull. So simplified hull flow means less dead nooks. Now all I need to do is figure out how to greeb that backside of the saucer to allow the pulse phasers to sit in there and not look like odd pits. In hindsight I would likely model this part of the ship like I did the IOWA, where the upper and lower hulls wrap around into a pit detail so I could avoid this angled hull bit that is now a flat slope that if I cut anything in it just looks odd due to the 2 angles involved. BAH. I might still be able to do it but woah it'll be a pain as it'll all have to be manually box modeled. Gotta laugh at that as all the work I did tonight could have been simplified some by doing that, I will have to do a doodle I guess to denote what I am imagining.

Some bits-a renders of the carcass and a few shots of the whole ship with the areas in focus.

I think this shows the change in blending from the saucer to rear hull bits from what that shader image showed. Least I see it hopefully it shows well enough to you. Far side shows it better than the near side. There is some bleh in the flatter areas but that is just needing some topology changes (I HOPE)

At this point I think I will have to just leave it alone or I will end up having to rebuild this entire part of the ship. I mean I already want to fatten up the tail part given the ships scale and alter some other lines.

Euagh full renders will have to wait they are taking forever.
Old 4th Feb 2020, 10:13 AM   #1786
bmckain
Wire Junkie

Gallery

I sort of had to chuckle a bit at "just leave it alone or I will end up having to rebuild this entire part of the ship". Only because I've been there and decided i had to.

On a completely different note I just noticed that if you look at the two section right of the red arrow in the top image they sort of look like the beginnings of a mayan/aztec structure. It ends there but it just sort of strikes me how shapes get reused throughout history and culture.
Old 4th Feb 2020, 02:47 PM   #1787
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

MMM I cannot see it, but maybe it is because I know how the adjoining missing elements match up to these orphaned structures? I would not put it past using it unconsciously though. I do have to say that entire bulkhead containing the torps is a structure of needs rather than design. Other elements forced this form into existence and the prior solution to the shapes or requirements around it lead to me reforming it into something more basic. ERGO removal of a trench that made no sense once the upper strut structure was in place, but was needed for subdivision of the unique part to form the trench needed for that upper hull and strut part. and to avoid subdiv puke in areas around it. So in a way it seems key things replicate from needs? rather than unique design? One of those things you can say would be "universal". lol.
Think these images should show it in a better explanation than words can describe, Least in my words HAH.

Area is needed due to the "dark blue" strut and upper hull part and the lower hull trench which is drawn down to the deck height of the shuttle bay. Sadly I have no clear renders of that area. Clearly it was something I was not happy with and I dunno how I would have solved it short of the patch job I did do and the solution of having the odd modeling that exists now with the "flap" of hull extending while above that trench just ends. however 3d needs vs a real world situation would not have the same restrictions.

Those full ship images mentioned last post.

Old 4th Feb 2020, 02:58 PM   #1788
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Ah a bonus a WTFH is that wireframe!

yes a load of orphaned edges and WTF, all cause it is a planar surface and I let it roll as it may as planar surfaces are solutions to edge vomit as I can just end them there. remove them or do whatever as itll render flat anyhow! Anyhow it should clarify what is going on in that corner now. I am considering chamfering the vertical torp structure with the hull but have held off as I am not fully sure how I will plate or detail this area as it might lead to me not needing to chamfer it in (round it like a weld or molded corner) Anyhow you can see where my mentioning about being able to have wrapped the shuttle ledge part into a greeb pit in that backside of the hull by continuing that surface into the saucer as a recess.
Ah heck with it a doodle over to show what I mean. It would have simplified this way, way back to have done thins instead of anything I had done prior in the first place!

oh well,
Old 5th Feb 2020, 05:58 AM   #1789
bmckain
Wire Junkie

Gallery

Man, I really enjoy seeing the subbed model. Seeing that re-enforces the way I work now. Sometimes I find things just don't patch the way I envisioned so always lots of rework and thinking it through again. Still, very nice to see the progressions.
Old 5th Feb 2020, 05:49 PM   #1790
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Sorry no real updates just some large wireframes. And more AMD freakys. Had to restart max after spamming my displays to do these caps. I lost all surfacing for solid materials in viewport! lol. Probably have to look to replace this card sooner than I wanted to. Too many gfx cards laying about with mediocre performance. Least I can say is they have better power draw than the old things do.

Anyhow the wires.

Still mulling over my pc build and some of these amd gpu things have me a bit on the fence. BUT a gpu isnt the same as a cpu. . . so maybe there is that.
Old 6th Feb 2020, 06:01 AM   #1791
bmckain
Wire Junkie

Gallery

Nice, very tight geometry. And obviously well thought out.
Old 6th Feb 2020, 10:33 PM   #1792
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Ok new system order is in apparently amazon says itll all be here by sat. . . . heh. Now to see what comes NIB or what is someones tested changed mind and returned and reshipped out. . . sigh.
Anyhow think this is what i will do for those pulse phasers and a aft facing greeb pit. Though probably sensors in a mount with pulse phasers of all things is probably not best. flash static fuzz clear up flash static fuzz repeat. I figure windows will just be cut on if I put any on that back wall.

Old 7th Feb 2020, 06:30 AM   #1793
Tony Gardner
Premiere Member

Gallery
LightWave Gimp

Looking good
Old 7th Feb 2020, 08:04 PM   #1794
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Small update and a bit funny looking as there is no uvw so the surfacing is all stripy but plating in the inset for the pulse phaser emitter. Dunno might undo it all and do something else. . . . . . mmmm
Old 8th Feb 2020, 06:39 PM   #1795
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Not so exciting of updates, some more panels some roundy things and a few lights.

Old 10th Feb 2020, 06:00 AM   #1796
bmckain
Wire Junkie

Gallery

The pulse phaser looks good, imo. The only thing that seems odd is it looks like it would be very limited on direction. Almost nothing but straight back and down a bit?
Old 10th Feb 2020, 09:43 PM   #1797
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

They are the same things in the Defiant, so they go where the ship is pointed. I think the intent is the coil system or whatever power is going to them means a hard mount. I would expect maybe some deflection fire is possible. EG a few deg left right expanding over distance.

I think this image depeicts the stuff in the hull vs anything external.

BUT then again it is defied by the halfass tagged on secondary emitter on the lower hull of the studio model. Anyhow mine are all based on the unit on the upper part of the defiant studio model.

I should edit my object though as even that ref image is so much better than the one I worked off of all that time ago. And yes the pulse element is something I made ages ago and just have been copy and pasting into projects!
Old 10th Feb 2020, 10:21 PM   #1798
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Separate post is a image of my unicorn vomit new system build. Taking the plunge into win10. Installed enterprise LTSC, so far only a few settings the os keeps resetting. Sharing devices setting keeps being turned on. But I have not done much in it yet. Had to wait on replacement ram as for the first time since like 1994 I got a bad stick NIB.

It is all in a old lian li pull out mobo tray. One of those old all 80mm fan alum cases popular back in 2003. heh. All they are good for now is the pull out trays! kinda sad love my ATCS case but useless for modern stuff. These guts will be going into that new fishbowl (well new to me) Lian Li011 Dynamic case when it gets here. So yes, spend 60usd on extra toys to make it look nice metallic cable extensions, led strip thingies (might have gotten the wrong ones to "hide") and a vertical GPU thing. Mostly to test if it really makes for a difference in vertical airflow. EG intake on bottom with exhaust at top. And yes it will be that anemic rx570 I got saddled with from my media pc's failed 4k upgrade. Kinda wish I had gone the 1660 route earlier so I could have gotten at least a 2060 in this new build but I figure later in the summer I might get something better and retire this card. I also really like the sapphire cards. Sucks they only do AMD.

So far I think the build is in the 1600usd range. Probably push 2200 once I do final cooling. but it all depends if I go open loop or not and if I will go for a kit or go deep and trendy with distro plates or hard line with expensive fittings. Or laze out for a AIO all of which are late feb release a iCUE150i corsair (360 rad ver is delayed for some reason that makes me suspicious as it was suppose to release on jan1st.) or a EKWB AIO due in feb 28

https://www.ekwb.com/solutions/all-in-one/

vardar fans with rgb and a nice pumptop (uses their slimline pump so more beef than standard AIO) Issue with EK is availability. They are a Slovenian company and US distro sorta sucks.

Like the corsair as it does not use the asutek guts (hate patent trolls) and the fact the pump top is all black. but no 360 on launch as promised so issues???? Fans are a question too as to noise levels.

Or a kit open loop to start and to evlove it into something else over time. looking at the EKWB classic line with the 360 rad. Likely the P version with the fat rad. Draw back is the rgb is non addressable so no fun lightshows. Just one set color or gradients of. Not a massive loss to me though.
https://www.ekwb.com/liquid-cooling-kits/classic-kits/

guess I could upgrade to the ARGB vardars later on. If I REALLY HAVE TO HAVE ARGB. IF. lol Idea with this kit is I could expand later and get a decent D5 pump later on or a integrated distro plate and have multiple pumps. The slimline pump is kinda poo pooed by people who spend 2k on just the loop. so eh dunno. I do know flow is important as it is part of what helps a loop work at cooling.

Anyhow all a bit off the rails but figured maybe someone out there might find interest in this.
Old 11th Feb 2020, 04:44 AM   #1799
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Ugh first lesson of win 10
Any app be it from elsewhere or downloaded unblock all zips and files before installing or the damned OS will block it and make it run like crap.

Second NEVER NEVER install Amour crate from ASUS for anything Asus unless you want EVERYTHING asus offers. and I mean everything, like 9 updater, bunch of exe and managers for every known RGB devise known to man even if you do not have it present.
Heck worst is it installs Patriot Viper SSD RGB and Patriot Viper RGB for my G.Skill trident Z Royal ram. . . .
But seriously I have disabled UAE for its annoyance and about to disable this block crap for it's annoyance. Just on the mobo install files thats like 10 zips I have to unblock one at a time. Pointless to secure things so much that it is a nuisance and people turn it off or hack it out.

AUGH I would hate to have not found this out when Installing max or something else full of thousands of files!

Edit I have found some powershell commands but only pertain to the downloads dir.

One thing I have yet to figure out is changing the home screen and retain the slideshow on it. If I let it sit it does some silly pan zoom collage thing. But once I changed the ugly default image it went away. Also finding all the neat images I have seen on other win10 installs. One was on my mums work laptop but we could not locate all the images as she wanted them on her home pc. Only thing at the time I could guess is it was using some online repository and given it is a work pc it was seriously locked up. I mean you could not change the wallpaper! Ugly jpged up low rez (600X400) pukefest.
Old 11th Feb 2020, 06:36 AM   #1800
bmckain
Wire Junkie

Gallery

Thanks for the details on the pulse.

And, you are a braver man then I. Win 10, nope, not yet.

And from the sounds of it, there are some items to work around already.

Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Creative Works > Works in Progress