Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Works in Progress Critique works in progress, 2D 3D and animations

Old 22nd Mar 2019, 07:52 PM   #1
ashe5k
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave Poser TrueSpace Paint Shop Pro Photoshop Premiere

Default Star Trek - AshleTrek Interiors

I've been doing my own interiors for a while now. And I'm going through and re-vamping them.

This is the latest casualty.

Probably not going to post any WIP beyond this one as the room and exterior corridor are basically almost ready to go minus a few tweaks (the tweaks being the overhead lighting, outer wall lighting, and finished modeling of the table), but I'm revisiting one of the first sets I built for myself when I started down this Trek fanart rabbit hole. Well aside from my many attempts at the corridor.

I've cut the Briefing Room down in size to almost the size it was in TOS versus MSGTTE although I'm sticking with that Phase II/TMP aesthetic. I'm also going to have it so you can turn off either side wall for 'filming', making it easier to get shots since I'm shrinking the room a bit.

I'll probably have finished shots of the re-vamped set as it'll appear on the Challenger early next week.

Bonus: The old Briefing Room Circa 2016

ashe5k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Mar 2019, 06:03 AM   #2
GMD3D
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop

nice work
GMD3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Mar 2019, 10:11 PM   #3
Oldcode
Contributing Member

Gallery
LightWave Poser Photoshop After Effects Premiere

Very Very Good! It looks like a hybrid of the TOS and movie style architecture.

“Then forever remind him of his vow, Knight of the Old Code.”
Oldcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Mar 2019, 07:02 AM   #4
ashe5k
Registered Member

Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMD3D View Post
nice work
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcode View Post
Very Very Good! It looks like a hybrid of the TOS and movie style architecture.
Thanks! Definitely what I'm going for

OK, so I lied about another wip. I wanted to play around a little bit with the material and see how it turned out and I think I really REALLY like that wood paneling.
Old 24th Mar 2019, 04:10 PM   #5
ashe5k
Registered Member

Gallery

Finished this up faster than I thought I would.

While the Observation Lounges are nice places to hang out, the Challenger command staff needs places to hold meetings and briefings and troubleshoot without the distractions of the crew. Located on Deck 6, there are two Briefing Rooms dedicated for this purpose as well as a third that can be set up as needed. Communications can also be handled through the Briefing Room as well for required communications with higher priority from Command.

Some of the crew may also use the viewer for entertainment purposes in off hours.

This is a rebuild from my previous Briefing Room that I built back in 2016. Almost everything was rebuilt from scratch, the room was slimmed down a bit from the MSGTTE version to something more similar in size to the one from TOS but with more of the Phase II/TMP aesthetic.

I also tossed a 2270s style PADD and some storage disks on the table, cause why not?
Old 24th Mar 2019, 08:10 PM   #6
Oldcode
Contributing Member

Gallery

And, I like the fact you use the movie era Federation Logo. I never liked the Next Gen one. Too smooth.

Old 25th Mar 2019, 05:03 AM   #7
ronaldheld
Contributing Member
 Gallery
LightWave

nice looing.
ronaldheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Mar 2019, 08:49 AM   #8
ashe5k
Registered Member

Gallery

Quote:
And, I like the fact you use the movie era Federation Logo. I never liked the Next Gen one. Too smooth.
It took me a while to find a decent enough sized movie era logo to go in and recreate in Photoshop. I definitely wanted something of the right era. I also like this one as it stands out a bit more from the others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldheld View Post
nice looing.
Thank you!
Old 8th Apr 2019, 11:44 AM   #9
ashe5k
Registered Member

Gallery

My ultimate goal with the interiors I've been working on is to tell the stories of the characters I've had bouncing around in my head for years using a comic or graphic novel format. I'd been planning on using a specific uniform for the TMP era for them until I saw JBogguess work over at Deviantart and I just had to try and adapt his uniforms into something wearable for my characters. I've got the female versions ready to go and although I'm having problems with the male textures on a slightly different outfit, I'm hoping to have them ready in a week or two depending. Then I'll be back to building more rooms again. lol

From left to right, Operations Duty Uniform, First Officer Casual Uniform, Science Officer Dress Uniform, Security Officer Duty Uniform.

JBogguess Uniform links:
Science Dress uniform fav.me/dbxeoks
Security Duty uniform fav.me/dbxep9x
Operations Duty uniform fav.me/dbxemeh
First Officer Casual Uniform fav.me/dbxek3r

Briefing Room built in Truespace 3.2
Rendered in DAZ Studio 4.10 with iRay
Uniform design by JBogguess
Courageous outfit from DAZ
Original patterns for Courageous by Dope_Fish
Genesis 3 figures from DAZ
Old 8th Apr 2019, 07:16 PM   #10
Professor Moriarty
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop After Effects Digital Fusion Premiere

I absolutely love this. The style looks like the love child of classic Star Trek and Space: 1999 (and I totally mean that as a compliment).

Dare I hope we will see more of this...?
Old 9th Apr 2019, 06:35 AM   #11
ashe5k
Registered Member

Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Moriarty View Post
I absolutely love this. The style looks like the love child of classic Star Trek and Space: 1999 (and I totally mean that as a compliment).

Dare I hope we will see more of this...?
Yup! Yeah I'm totally planning on using this pattern for the Trek stories for this era. Hell the ship I'm setting it on is going to be using these uniforms for ten years since they're going to be out of Federation space that whole time.

I'm still sorting out texture issues for the male outfit. The pattern for the Valiant outfit doesn't match up as neatly as the Courageous does so it's giving em a bit of a headache matching up the collar and shoulder rankings.
Old 19th Apr 2019, 07:05 AM   #12
ashe5k
Registered Member

Gallery

Going in a bit of a different direction with this, I'm collaborating with PDSmith on this to build a TOS style stateroom that you might find on a Starship or Starbase of the time. VERY low budget, but a huge space for dignitaries on board.

Going clockwise starting with the entryway, we have a large office, bedroom, living/gathering area, dining area w/ access to food slots/replicators and of course, the bathroom. Going to be working on this while I'm working on texturing up the Male Phase II outfits so I don't get burnt out on one thing as I go. I loathe texturing.

I decided, while I was waiting on this stupid cobbled together hunk of junk PC at work to upgrade it's OS, to do something productive, and worked on the kitchen area for the VIP Stateroom. The shelves are based off the ones in McCoy's office in TOS, the nook shelf, well that I built to fit in the nook :P, and the Food Synthesizer is a standalone that's going to ape a few ideas from Discovery but be far more TOS like. I have no idea what that thing is going to be hanging off the ceiling, but I just hated the ceiling being bare there so I took part of the Food Synthesizer and flipped it on the ceiling. It may never get any more detail than what it has. We are on a budget here people.

Definitely not done with the food processor as I need some buttons, lights, and I want the doors to slide open so people can retrieve their food.
Old 23rd Apr 2019, 06:32 AM   #13
ashe5k
Registered Member

Gallery

Progress has been slow due to a busy work week and my house sale falling through. Meh.

Realized I needed some buttons and a few other things I've never modeled for the stateroom.

Finished up the food synthesizer. Borrowed the same dimensions for the viewer as the original TOS table viewer except I made it more rounded, widescreen and a flat panel. The doors take a little inspiration from Discovery, but I wanted to be a little different. And my first TOS buttons are deployed!
Old 24th Apr 2019, 01:37 PM   #14
ashe5k
Registered Member

Gallery

Roughed out a 23rd Century sickbay that's part TOS, part TMP and part Phase II. I wanted to make sure I had my head in the right place and get some ideas down. This has been bugging and gnawing at me and interfering with my other projects. DAMN YOU MUSE! This is enough I think for me to hop over to one of the other projects. We have our office off the side of the entrance, a nurse's station right at the entrance with easy access to the ward, entrance and exam/surgery area, an exam/surgery area with privacy/diagnostic screen, and a 6 bed recovery ward for this part of sickbay.

It's missing some walls... ok a lot of walls, the consoles for the nurse's, the tools and such for the exam area and most of the crap I wanted to toss into the office. It's a promising start.
Old 25th Apr 2019, 02:09 PM   #15
ashe5k
Registered Member

Gallery

After building the Keurig of the future, I've moved over to the 'living area' of the Stateroom as I wanted to try and tackle a design for the couch, based off fav.me/d5on21k but a little more basic looking for the TOS era. I'm also tinkering with a table in the rough shape of the Starfleet pennant, although looking at it from an angle and rendered, the little parts that are jagged are irritating me. Probably going to completely re-do the tabletop but I still like the idea.
Old 26th Apr 2019, 06:42 AM   #16
ashe5k
Registered Member

Gallery

I completely redid the Starfleet Pennant table matching it almost exactly from the way it showed up in one of the trial episodes of the original series. Then I wanted to see it pieced together so far, so the kitchen pieces are there, including the ever important coffee maker, and I dropped the living room in where it's going to go. Obviously materials aren't all set yet, but right now it's all about layout, spacing and shape.

I'm thinking of doing a full blown dining table and then like a breakfast nook by the window but I haven't settled on a dining table design I like yet. Probably going to model up the TOS bed and side tables along with a dresser next. I'm thinking that off section of the bedroom could be a closet or changing area.
Old 26th Apr 2019, 07:05 AM   #17
Rigel

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop

Very cool!

------------------------------------------------------------
Other Projects

The Universal Joint
Beechcraft 2000 airplane
LadyBug (Firefly class freighter)
Rigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Apr 2019, 07:11 AM   #18
ashe5k
Registered Member

Gallery

Thanks!

Moved over to the bedroom.

I may have over-done it a bit with some of the detailing around the bed. This is a little bit more than TOS level, but I think it kind of works? I'll probably carry some of this look over if I do a Phase II/TMP version, but while I like the look it might be too overdone around the bed for TOS. The... wall linings/bed shelving... for lack of a better term, have a light strip above and below for that special night time glow. Cause why not? Truespace can't really demonstrate that too well, at least the version I'm building in, but once I get it into DAZ to play, it'll be more apparent.

The dresser is completely based around the TOS version that sat in the corner. Drawers work, and there's a full length mirror and a closet. I carried over some designs from TOS, particularly in the wall 'art' and the decorations are based off a set I found in a Desilu Stage 9 re-creation floating around. The bed is full on Phase II, but after PDSmith and I talked about it, the regular sized TOS bed just wasn't going to cut it.

So I'll hold off and wait on his feedback before I call the bedroom done. Going to tackle the stairs in both the living room and down into the dining room. We're planning some mood lighting either in or under those.
Old 3rd May 2019, 09:24 AM   #19
ashe5k
Registered Member

Gallery

Designed up a really simple glass/fiberglass/plastic table set along with clear plastic lighting. Stuff that comes across as elegant and 'futuristic' but is also something that could be done on the cheap for our TOS era. I threw in my Phase II chairs but the TOS chairs would work just as well I think. Started laying out the office, but I think only the desk and bookshelves may be staying when PDSmith gets his hands on this as he already has other ideas for the office. I'm just going to put together a very basic set for the room at this point.

I just did a very basic set-up with an expanded desk based off the one in the TOS officer's quarters, a flat widescreen display but still roughly TOS style, and I finished off the stairs. So what's left? Bathroom, exterior corridor section, ceiling, and an exterior green screen curtain for looking out into that void. Then import it all into DAZ and make sure it holds up.

Huzzah
Old 3rd May 2019, 09:29 AM   #20
Oldcode
Contributing Member

Gallery

Looks amazing! When can I move in?

Old 4th May 2019, 04:50 AM   #21
ronaldheld
Contributing Member
 Gallery
LightWave

impressive work,
ronaldheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2019, 04:44 PM   #22
ashe5k
Registered Member

Gallery

Quote:
Looks amazing! When can I move in?
Thank you! and soon. Quite soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldheld View Post
impressive work,
Thanks very much!

The building portion of our program has completed and I've started importing the stateroom set piece by piece into DAZ for assembly, texturing, and lighting.

First up is our bedroom. I'm using the Phase II bed I built because it's bigger than the TOS one, but I've brought a lot of TOS flavor into the room otherwise. I'm sure PDSmith is going to mess with the colors later to get them where he wants them for his purposes, but I wanted this to be a kind of warm feeling room, hence the browns and oranges.

Built in Truespace 3.2 and rendered in DAZStudio 4.10 with iRay
Old 5th May 2019, 05:43 PM   #23
Zippy
Contributing Member

Gallery
LightWave Illustrator Photoshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashe5k View Post
Built in Truespace 3.2
What year am I in? To think 3.2 is still being used in this day and age is amazing to me. Is it an import format thing for DAZ or just what you're used to using? Amazing work so far none the less .
Old 5th May 2019, 06:25 PM   #24
ashe5k
Registered Member

Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
What year am I in? To think 3.2 is still being used in this day and age is amazing to me. Is it an import format thing for DAZ or just what you're used to using? Amazing work so far none the less .
LOL. It's what I learned on. Got into it when Babylon 5 was in it's 3rd or 4th season. And then I got stuck in my ways. It's what I know so it's what I use. I actually have to jump through a few hoops to convert the mesh over from a COB file to an OBJ because Truespace 3.2 doesn't export OBJ at all. 7.6 does it with an extension, but out of my comfort zone

And thank you!
Old 7th May 2019, 03:59 PM   #25
ashe5k
Registered Member

Gallery

The office ended up being extremely plain... for now. I think of it as unoccupied. PDSmith is going to be decking it out for his story so I didn't want to pack a ton of stuff in it, but I wanted it to at least be functional and have spaces to put things. Every office should have those.

The TOS style flat/widescreen monitor makes it's first properly rendered debut and the TOS picture frames continue to pop up with variations on the same texture. :P And the first real rendered use of the lounge chair. No, it's not orange here. The plain blue fit the functional room I thought.

Built in Truespace 3.2
Old 8th May 2019, 05:53 AM   #26
ashe5k
Registered Member

Gallery

I'd been calling this the living room, but for some reason last night while I was putting the furniture in and rendering, it said lounge to me.

In keeping with the TOS budget idea, paintings are the same from the other rooms, but the pattern is slightly different. The 'space' scene beyond the windows is a simple large 'painted' backdrop, much like they used for the planetary sets in the series. I think I'll have to tinker with the lights on the underside of the stairs. They're not nearly as bright as I'd hoped and I think I'm getting some unintentional light spill.

And I just realized I'd meant to put a plant or two in the corners.

Built in Truespace 3.2
Old 12th May 2019, 10:29 AM   #27
ashe5k
Registered Member

Gallery

Because living areas are meant to be lived in, I did up a few test renders with people in them to also test my lighting.

and on with the last room I detailed, the Dining, breakfast nook and kitchen area

I remembered the plants this time. :P

I kept the deigns simple but aimed for elegant for TOS, but pulled in a few ideas for the food synthesizer from Discovery, but kept it more TOS. I rendered this out without the 'glass' chandeliers fully lit.

Built in Truespace 3.2
Collab with PDSmith
Pike Era uniform textures for Valiant and Courageous by mylochka
DAZ base figures V4 and Genesis
Old 15th May 2019, 04:54 AM   #28
ashe5k
Registered Member

Gallery

My first TOS style corridor. I say style because me panels are much larger width wise even though I matched the height. That bend in the corridor to the right is the lead in entrance to the doors of the stateroom.

I've pulled the Destroyer Corridor parts out of mothballs and I'm working on what I'd originally called a Throwback set before I'd decided to drop it on a Destroyer. This is a set of corridors using the parts from the Destroyer Corridors, but revamped to match the height and sections of the original Desilu Stage 9 set. I started with one side of the set and need to work on the other, but I think it's coming along. I also need to work on the doors and 'Jefferies' entries that will slot in there. I'm probably just going to throw in my corridor and vertical Jefferies set rather than try and fit the slanted tube into this, but it'll be in the same location.

Biggest change that's carried over, instead of just having an A frame doorway, I've made sections that are A framed that join in along where the A frame doorways were. I don't know if I'm going to model the wall greebles beyond the wall com or not. There are going to be more Phase II styled alert indicators hanging along the rafters as well. The whole idea with this is that it's a Technology Original Standard layout and feel but could easily fit between or in place of TOS and TMP.

I'm also borrowing some floor detailing from In A Mirror Darkly from Enterprise and I'm toying with the idea of doing up a version that would work on Discovery. Basically it'll mean making the floor glossy.

I'll be puttering along on this one as time allows. I've got a few other things cooking up at home including finishing up the Phase II uniforms.

Built in Truespace 3.2
TOS Corridor rendered in DAZ Studio 4.10 with iRay
Old 15th May 2019, 06:57 AM   #29
Rigel

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop

The glass in the dining room rendered very nicely.

------------------------------------------------------------
Other Projects

The Universal Joint
Beechcraft 2000 airplane
LadyBug (Firefly class freighter)
Rigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2019, 02:54 PM   #30
ashe5k
Registered Member

Gallery

Thank you! It turned out looking much nicer than I thought it would

So... teleconference calls have been productive for me modeling wise this week.

Floor isn't finished and neither are the doors. I'm doing a version that's a riff on the Enterprise doors in Discovery which looked like they were based off the Voyager doors.

Built in Truespace 3.2

Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Creative Works > Works in Progress