Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Creative Works > Works in Progress
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Works in Progress Critique works in progress, 2D 3D and animations

Old 20th Jul 2019, 07:42 AM   #1681
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery
3DS Max Illustrator Corel Paint Paint Shop Pro Photoshop After Effects Premiere

So much for getting a lot done. . . . dunno how well some of the black details will show on others displays but there is stuff in there >_> Likely adjust the material later on to pick up more "spec" Also need to spend some time exploring the ships materials to see what I had done for alt hull mats so I can do these stencil only details in something that stands out a bit more.

Work bee for scale, just pretend it is whatever they use in the late 2370s. (figure this would be 2376~8ish timeframe. )
Old 22nd Jul 2019, 01:28 AM   #1682
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Some more missed posts.
Quote:

Welp more of the same I guess.

Well, think I wasted my time cutting all these black bits in as I forgot to reference the old black panels so the outlines to not match up at all. And yes a large screen cap vs a render. Debate is to inset the existing black bits and add the inner frame and line to make them match up or wipe all the internal bits and start over so I can do the existing outline in the proper scale. Sadly due to the shape and geo I cannot just extrude them as a whole or inset to produce the white line. So it means it is all cut by hand and repeatedly looked at in perspective to make sure it is as even as possible.

Distracted by some blog work, man that thing just chews up ram and slugs Firefox down like eugh. Need to update my client I guess. Refuse to use the newest version with all the telemetry crap in. These companies should pay us for our systems with how much they are using them for profit. ****ing Ferengi.

Anyhoo this is one of the ideas I had to not throw out the work I had done. YES, another screen cap. Sadly I have to undo it to properly set up the insets as they were much larger than I thought. Ones near the registry is 10 inset to the white and the stripe was 5 inset. lol I had only done like 5 and 3.

lol you will have to drag the image into a new tab/window to see the changes. Did it as a large cap so it can be compared to the forward panels.
Old 23rd Jul 2019, 05:19 AM   #1683
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

missed a few updates but mostly it was me voiding the segmentation on the hull

Quote:
Ok maybe this is a waste of time and life but working off some of the segmentation. Luck is there is so much going on here I can chamfer them out at the gain of some ugly wires. Though some are cleaning it up. heh.

I think I got em all. Might be some iffy bits here and there but I am not spotting them ATM.
Sorta not liking the outlined outlines but a bit late now meaning Id have to revert quite a ways back. But dunno.
Either way how it sits for now.

Old 29th Jul 2019, 04:58 AM   #1684
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

More missed stuff not all if you want to see them all go to SFM.

Quote:

Getting the little holes in, I might have lightened that grid material a bit too much. Wanted it to be just more metallic but eugh. I do need to go around and unify everything on this ship. ATM I dunno what outside trim material is used on the panels on the saucer. Well more like do not remember. Likely do that once I get these windows and rooms in.

I also need to look at adding more interference edges into the base of the struts (AO shading errors) or adjust the shader to higher settings so it does not shade the wire frame loops. Also need to decide what materials I want around that docking port.
Old 29th Jul 2019, 01:34 PM   #1685
Professor Moriarty
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop After Effects Digital Fusion Premiere

So are each of those white-ish lines going to wind up being the divot for dividing up the panels?
Old 29th Jul 2019, 05:43 PM   #1686
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Plan was they were just to break up the larger panels. You see this on the SOV (though there is height to them from the paint used) I could extrude or bevel the inner panes out some though.
Old 30th Jul 2019, 05:00 AM   #1687
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Holes with rooms and mapping lights etc. Gotta reweld those window polies in and detach and remap the panels to break up that texture, probably should adjust it some to tone down the darkside reflectiveness.

Ok other side has complete holes rooms etc. Maybe time to move elsewhere for a while and return to the belly glass if I put any down there.

Old 2nd Aug 2019, 04:01 AM   #1688
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Start a render from last night,

Next up is messing about with those panels on the strut undersides as I decide how I want these to appear. I think I need to sit down and rethink all the materials on this and get myself some more subtle changes in tone and color. I am leaning at making this Galaxy/VOY blue, that bluegreen egg color. It is somewhat that tone now but the lighting is warm on the ship atm so it hides it a bit. Only issue is this is a 80700 registry that puts it post Titan (luna) and much further along than my IOWA and the Onimaru (thought that is suppose to be prior) I suppose I could go find a 75K registry string someplace and stick this post D.

And yes, the deflector looks like it got broken. Likely some lum mats got overwrittren. Somehow when I was merging in things materials got swapped around or got multiple instances IE hull was ID1 and later became ID 24. -_-. Max does do this sort of thing once in a while be it a cat smashing single button hotkeys (who's ****ing idea is that???) Or freaks out. EXP when models get large. It also does not help I think this one was started on 2010 and migrated to 2013. ANYHOW. None of that really affects I need to redress materials placement and the materials themselves.

Also been mulling over if I want to put sensor valleys like on the VOYAGER around the flat areas of the deflector housing area and along the struts. I had planned to do greeble pits like on the Onimaru in select areas of the hull hence why the saucer has those rounded valleys in it.

oh lol I had planned to post some images of them but none are online. have to upload some.

overview image of the onimaru

almost cringy. Shie was almost the filler project as the whole underside is unfinished but the materials and some areas are eugh.
Some of those pits mentioned,

since I mentioned it here are some overviews of the IOWA model

Old 2nd Aug 2019, 03:54 PM   #1689
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Sorta hate to bring this up as I have done so much work on the struts so far but pushed the nacelles inboard a bit. Not sure if I will commit to it but figured I would put it out there. Opinions?
Screen caps once sorta positioned like the last posts angle to compare. Oh and ignore that 8m poly count. If you can believe it most of that is the "crew" for the SOTL render. I should excise them from the file. Also I think those 2 aft interiors are very poly heavy too trees n shit.

old spacing.
Old 2nd Aug 2019, 05:54 PM   #1690
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Some wires of where it sits. you can see there things align for patching in and what will be lost in that action. Red is new bits pink is the old ones, or rather what will be patched into.

I however am really tempted to block out that inner detail on the nacelle so I can draw the nacelles further back and have the strut intersect over that detail. The nacelles are mirrored centrally so each half is reflected of the outside so nothing says I can just yank off that detail when I get to collapsing the nacelles for asymmetric detailing.

anyhow mess of wires and PNG cause well the png were much smaller than jpgs of the same thing. . . . . lol

Old 2nd Aug 2019, 10:59 PM   #1691
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Patched in new strut bits a while back and decided I should render out a sample to test it.

Reason why I am going through with the change is due to top down views and a few other areas the wider nacelles just look odd and ill fitting as they are nearly as wide as the saucer. While I liked the angles of the struts to the nacelles on the old layout better in multiple views it just works out better and gives a feeling of height to the ship even though it is not any taller. As I think about it I probably should have dragged the front corner of the strut instead of sweeping the rear forward.

Old 4th Aug 2019, 05:27 PM   #1692
srspicer
Registered Member
 Gallery
Photoshop

( imho ) The new struts make the ship 'saucer-heavy' kinda like Probert's 'D'. The old struts look makes the design more balanced.
srspicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Aug 2019, 05:01 AM   #1693
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Not much of a update but I think everything is near where I was at short of the panel lines being extruded out. Been spending time playing with a new mini keypad to replace my fing annoying cintiq expresskey remote. That and dealing with a red rated hdd that is archiving my stored 3d stuff, resources and application clones. YAY, least I got 76K hours out of it vs newer hdds which fail in 10k hours. So yeah, archiving 2tb of stuff on multiple older drives.

Old 7th Aug 2019, 12:43 AM   #1694
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Those funny panels around the transporter emitter and grids are extruded back in.

Old 8th Aug 2019, 05:29 PM   #1695
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Quote:
Not sure if it counts for much but all the panels are properly inset with patterning on and some decals and unique uvws per panel. All the grids are one piece now merged in etc.

Spent more time messing with that mini macro pad instead and cleaning cat barf. Decided to stick labels on it as I kept forgetting what did what. Plan to order some relegendable keycaps or get more DSA caps in various colors. Not sure how useful it can be in max as I still need the num pad but I could map it to that and still have 11 keys to use for other things. . . . . . It is mostly for SAI/Clip studio where I use hotkeys vs onscreen elements and do not need the numpad if at all.

Small updates for now as per usual. . . . some decals on the rail, and redoing that tongue thing as I just did not get why I originally modeled it rounded off. Adding in a more angular one and plan to blend it in more with the hard angled bits along the rails length. The orange pad things will return along with all the lost decals they had.

Spent too much time dealing with errors that pulling out that failing hdd caused, as it had my archived 3d files apparently max keep referencing all those old projects even if the linked files are not in use and only local (to the project folder) file are used. This has always been a issue with max. It is better than before but still a headache.

HDD had ADD
Old 9th Aug 2019, 01:58 AM   #1696
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Hrm, blegh not exactly what I was going after. And boy these renders are FFFFF long. Gonna need to ramp down some settings. Ignore the red freakout on the saucer the bussard guts are exposed atm as I did not unhide the domes as even off screen the lag renders.

yes has some mesh errors that got fixed.

heh need to delete or remember to move the blasted window cutters. Speaking of which it is probably the next chore on the list to do all those lower saucer windows EUGH. Think it is like 120 of the smeging things.

I also really gotta figure out why the hell max is giving me map errors for like every bitmap I had in my archive dir on the removed hdd when nothing in this project refers to these maps. I mean some are calling back to hairmaps on something I have not touched in 14years. . . . . . -_-. And it is not even a valid path related to this computer but one 4 computers back and a hdd that died a long LONG time ago. lol
Old 12th Aug 2019, 06:22 PM   #1697
Professor Moriarty
Registered Member

Gallery

Oh how I hate “ghost in the machine” problems like that!
Old 13th Aug 2019, 02:27 AM   #1698
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

misc updates.

Old 18th Aug 2019, 01:50 AM   #1699
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Added in another row of windows to the saucer dome. I had not placed these previously as they are almost floor windows. I think it is maybe a 10deg angle to the floor. If I were to model interiors these would be like those hipster studios where they have a platform inside a tall room to allow you to look down and out of the windows.

Old 18th Aug 2019, 07:14 PM   #1700
Professor Moriarty
Registered Member

Gallery

The bridge on cruise ships usually has floor “portholes”, and they are quite functional (they allow the person maneuvering the ship in port to see the dock). Just wanted to point out that floor windows can have practical as well as aesthetic uses. 8-)
Old 21st Aug 2019, 11:55 PM   #1701
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Well dunno how functional windows in a crew quarters is for maneuvers. >_> I would expect they have a virtualization system as well as optical cameras all over for that. These would just be high dollar windows for a larger than normal room I would guess. I do usually stick a porthole near all docking hardpoints for that reason, that and well they always had em in those areas on the TMP ships and models.

updates randomly as site is rarely working when I post.

Some of those white line things on the panels. Can see the reason I loath Photometric lights as ship lighting all those crescent artifacts near the gizmo. A huge one just in front of the torps. (could be a max 2010~13 issue) Need to replace those sadly photometric look so much better than the mr or standard gizmos. Even if they make renders crawl.

older posts are just images, stripping the text.

Not a huge update as I have not had much time to spend modeling. As soon as I get into the mood or in gear something comes along to stop me. >_>
Old 22nd Aug 2019, 08:01 PM   #1702
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Adding in those SOV like panels. Lots of messing about and changing my mind on things. Issue is breaking it up across the existing grids etc. I forget what those forward gray areas were for as well so that might get base hull color.

Oh also ignore the use of white on the insides this will be hull color when I am done. I also think the panels themselves use a different color as well. Again this is all for the selection process.
Old 25th Aug 2019, 07:08 PM   #1703
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

updates
Quote:
interiors in and mapped not that you will ever see the walls lol.

I also need to decide if I will stick to this registry or not. Follow the beta book timelines or forge on with only canon (film and tv up to nemesis/voy) If prior I probably should look at aligning this as a 82700+ if not 80700+ but then again I could fit it in and just ignore the original idea of this being a FTL testbed design. Could still follow the book canon and explain most were destroyed as part of the Borg incursions.

not a major change just a mess of decals. Hopefully they will show in the render.

Old 26th Aug 2019, 01:52 AM   #1704
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Ok some more of those markings a few panels and a few full ship renders. . . .

Old 26th Aug 2019, 06:52 AM   #1705
Rigel

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop

A beautiful model (as always!).

------------------------------------------------------------
Other Projects

The Universal Joint
Beechcraft 2000 airplane
LadyBug (Firefly class freighter)
Rigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Aug 2019, 12:36 AM   #1706
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Decided everyone should be sick of the front underside so I have spent some time adjusting things on the nacelles and planning how to do assembly panels, EG how the nacelle can be pulled apart. Also moving some existing bits around.

REALLY REALLY tempted to uh delete these and build new ones that are less 2dimentional.
Old 28th Aug 2019, 03:15 AM   #1707
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Messing about with vents and bits of this and that.

Old 29th Aug 2019, 05:15 AM   #1708
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Erm ended up panel grooving things I had planed to just leave as decals. Dunno might be a bit too much.

Old 1st Sep 2019, 03:55 AM   #1709
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Aimlessly flailing about with this so I am gonna undo it all and likely wipe off some of the really old work on these as well.

Old 4th Sep 2019, 12:44 AM   #1710
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Threw out a few conventional designs so far and this is the most recent rough out. KIM the blue stuff is to show where I would place the glowy coil bits etc. Front end on these I think are a bit to heavy. The central bit is where the struts will mount but the rest is just bits leftover from other attempts. SO I might alter things from there.

ugh these render times. . . . . . . . . . . screw it the current one rendering can wait.

Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Creative Works > Works in Progress