Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Creative Works > Works in Progress
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Works in Progress Critique works in progress, 2D 3D and animations

Old 10th Dec 2007, 04:03 AM   #1
Meurig

Gallery
LightWave Maya Mudbox ZBrush Paint Shop Pro Photoshop Boujou Digital Fusion Shake Premiere

Default Misc - Formats and conventions

Hi folks,

With posting up animations there are a couple of things to consider which will make everybody's lives easier, and hopefully draw more attention to your work.

1) Video formats. Most people use quicktime, and Sorensen3 compresses QT's nicely to give you small files with decent quality. DIVX is a nice AVI alternative for you Windows oriented folks, and for people who want to be able to play DIVX video, you can grab the latest codec here.....

http://www.divx.com/divx/windows/download/

You can use MPEG if you like, it's easy to play on windows machines because they're supported natively but I would avoid them personally because the compression ratio isn't very good. DIVX and QT will give you the best size/quality/compatability ratio for posting work online.

2) Please state the resolution and filesize of your video so that people have some idea what they're getting themselves into by downloading it. A simple '720x576, 20mb' is all that's required.

3) Not a requirement, but a recommendation.... I think it's a good idea to post a single frame or a couple of shots from your animation in the same post. If people happen upon a thread where there is just a 50 meg video link, and no indication at all of what to expect from it, it's not as enticing a download Again, just a few frames from your anim that show off what you consider the best angles and it'll show your work off 10x more effectively.

Plus please adhere to the normal rules and regs for posting that you agreed to when signing up.

Cheers! And happy animating.

Last edited by Meurig : 10th Dec 2007 at 08:16 AM. Reason: No real reason
Meurig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Dec 2007, 06:31 AM   #2
jorjo
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave Motion Builder Poser Vue Photoshop Combustion Digital Fusion Premiere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meurig View Post

You can use MPEG if you like, it's easy to play on windows machines because they're supported natively but I would avoid them personally because the compression ratio isn't good and it's not an industry standard format because of low quality.
Since *.vob aka mpeg2 is the de facto international DVD standard.

Claiming that the single globally accepted, cross platform, final distribution format is low quality and not an industry standard seems a little strange considering the weight of DVD evidence to the contrary.
Old 10th Dec 2007, 07:32 AM   #3
Meurig

Gallery
LightWave Maya Mudbox ZBrush Paint Shop Pro Photoshop Boujou Digital Fusion Shake Premiere

Fair enough. Edited the guidelines accordingly.
Meurig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2008, 09:04 AM   #4
Timstone
Registered Member
 Gallery
3DS Max LightWave

Unhappy

I have a small problem. I've not meddled with F10 for quite some time now. In fact I've not tried it since I bought LW 9...
In LW 8.x I didn't have a problem with selecting another codec, but now I can't select anything other than the standard options in LW. I've downloaded the DIVX codec via the link given by Meurig, restarted my PC, but to no avail. What am I doing wrong?
I have the 64 bit variant of LW 9.2 installed.

Edit:
Okay, after a long an thorough search on the net I found out there isn;t a 64 bit version of DIVX... yet. Well, I could have discovered that if I had read the site of DIVX better. But no, I just had to dl the codec as soon as possible...
Sorry to bother you guys with it.
Link to the discussion that lead me to this horrible discovery:
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=701109
Thog in Order of the Stick #367

Last edited by Timstone : 21st May 2008 at 01:29 PM. Reason: I found the answer myself.
Timstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Mar 2012, 10:19 AM   #5
FS3D
Registered Member

Gallery
3DS Max LightWave Poser Terragen Gimp Photoshop Boujou After Effects Digital Fusion Premiere

I've found H.264 to be extremely useful. It's good quality in all my tests and compresses well. It's natively supported on the Mac. Not so sure how many hoops you need to jump through to get support for it on the PC with apps that don't have their own encoder though (Premiere CS versions have it in Media Encoder though, if you have it).

MPEG-2 isn't quite so compressible, but it does give decent quality when you compress it correctly. However, I'm not sure how useful it is for High Def projects (remember DVD's are generally put out as either PAL or NTSC Interlaced, with some film projects released at 576 lines with a 24 fps progressive playback).

Not sure how useful that is.
System 3: MacBook Pro 4,1; Core2Duo @ 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, NVidia 8600M GT
FS3D is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Creative Works > Works in Progress