Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Discussions & Support > The Cafe
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Cafe IMP, LLC, owners of this site, is happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules and use good internet etiquette (link). Discuss topics of your choice in the Cafe only, with the exception of sex or topics deemed inappropriate for family consumption. Discussions of politics and religion are discouraged due to their volatile nature; however, each thread will be judged individually for content (religion and politics) and will not be shut down immediately. Staff retains the right to close or delete any post which they deem inappropriate. Threads or posts that advocate violence or hate, advance spam, or violate our TOS will be deleted or closed.

Old 20th Jan 2018, 03:07 PM   #61
Meurig

Gallery
LightWave Maya Mudbox ZBrush Paint Shop Pro Photoshop Boujou Digital Fusion Shake Premiere

I'm all for swearing in everyday life, but do agree that moment felt unnecessary and un-Trek. It made me cringe a bit, more because it just felt out of place than because I'm morally objecting to it or anything like that.

I am quite enjoying the series though, the season arc storytelling does allow for plot and character shakeups that a 22 episode story-of-the-week structure doesn't, and I like that about it. I like the sets and aesthetic, I just wish the ship design and space stuff was better, the designs are uniformly awful IMO.
Meurig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jan 2018, 06:31 PM   #62
David cgc
Premiere Member

Gallery
LightWave Maya Illustrator Photoshop After Effects Shake Premiere

Over on the TrekBBS, one of the posters has been drawing up hybrid designs using the arrangement of the DSC Klingon ships, but with TOS styling. I think they look great. There are some clear shots of the show designs from Eaglemoss on this page.

If I were to do a model of the Discovery, I'd definitely give it the TOS-style markings it had in the last few promo shots before the series came out and they switched back to the TMP style. I feel like a squared off nameplate and orange nacelle domes would go pretty far in making it fit in with the original Enterprise (at least as well as, say, the Galaxy and the Sovereign make sense next to each other).
David cgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jan 2018, 03:31 AM   #63
Crook
Contributing Member

Gallery
LightWave Terragen ZBrush Photoshop After Effects

The first mirror episode was the only good episode of this so far - uncomplicated story, which flowed reasonably well. (was this the Frakes episode?)

The whole klingon impersonator thing worked fine in TOS, not so well in TNG (how many times did they 'surgically alter' people to fit in as aliens? Worf seemed to take it without complaint! I wouldn't work in starfleet if they did that.) But in this, the klingons have been radically altered. Personality wise, and looks - with that massive head.

Seriously, a klingon altered to look human so that a human doctor with all that tech can't determine that he's NOT human? And being convincing enough with a human personality? Come on, that's just stupid. I'd have bought a human who has been brainwashed and a traitor by his torturers - that might have had some interesting relevance to todays political landscape, but that..... no.

This is written by idiots. Grown up ST needs to be grown up, and that includes really awful sci-fi ideas being thrown out. A bloody mushroom drive? Inter-dimensional mycellium network? Just no. Step one should have been a focus on the people, not the technology to make it a drama.

Anyway, I'll watch it until season end and then moan about it some more I guess. Roll on Tarantino. At least he writes coherent stories, so there's hope for the next movie.
Old 23rd Jan 2018, 03:37 AM   #64
Crook
Contributing Member

Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by David cgc View Post
Over on the TrekBBS, one of the posters has been drawing up hybrid designs using the arrangement of the DSC Klingon ships, but with TOS styling. I think they look great. There are some clear shots of the show designs from Eaglemoss on this page.

If I were to do a model of the Discovery, I'd definitely give it the TOS-style markings it had in the last few promo shots before the series came out and they switched back to the TMP style. I feel like a squared off nameplate and orange nacelle domes would go pretty far in making it fit in with the original Enterprise (at least as well as, say, the Galaxy and the Sovereign make sense next to each other).
Atolm is a machine. The entire community here could spend years modelling his stuff.

My favourite so far. I'm very tempted to do this as my first LW2018 model.....

Old 4th Feb 2018, 01:10 PM   #65
lonewriter
Registered Member

Gallery
3DS Max Blender Bryce LightWave Terragen Vue Illustrator Photoshop

I've seen the Federation ships, they don't look anything like TOS, maybe the Kelvin universe.
lonewriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Feb 2018, 08:31 PM   #66
lonewriter
Registered Member

Gallery

I just saw something on ANOVOS website that shocked me, — NCC-1031 U.S.S. Discovery, Crossfield Class Studio-Scale Starship Filming Miniature and they expect people to pay $9,000 for this one and $8,000 for the U.S.S. Shenzou. This is nuts.
https://www.anovos.com/collections/s...ming-miniature
Old 12th Feb 2018, 08:08 AM   #67
Sastrei
Registered Member
 Gallery
Blender Photoshop

So guys, what did you think of the Enterprise? General consensus seems to be positive, it seems to borrow a lot from Gabe Koerner's version.
Sastrei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Feb 2018, 02:39 PM   #68
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery
3DS Max Illustrator Corel Paint Paint Shop Pro Photoshop After Effects Premiere

Images of it. Dunno I do not see much of gabe in it but more of other online work like that alt connie dennis did I think as a refit? I think there are hints of the Franklin in it. The most annoying thing in this show is the typeface. All the "1"s are wrong.

Old 12th Feb 2018, 05:45 PM   #69
TrekMD
Registered Member
 Gallery
Paint Shop Pro

I like it. It is a nice update of the original design that is pretty respectful of that design. Honestly, they could have done a lot more to change it and they didn't.
TrekMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Feb 2018, 08:17 PM   #70
David cgc
Premiere Member

Gallery
LightWave Maya Illustrator Photoshop After Effects Shake Premiere

I'm not a fan. My biggest issue is they jacked up the silhouette by shortening the neck, and I think the overlarge detailing makes it look blobby and toy-like. The TMP nacelle struts are also not great. I agree they look better swept back, but they also don't look like the original Enterprise. It also doesn't seem to fit that well in with the other DSC ships, which were all very, very modular. I've heard part of that was to ensure the Enterprise would look unique, but they've made it too unique. It's like they grabbed a fan model from on-line and just dumped it into their show.

As for the episode itself, I thought it was overly rushed and pat with a wildly anticlimactic and implausible ending to the season arc, and the half-assed excuse for a cliffhanger made them seem desperate and self-concious. Even if they were committed to having a TOS crossover next year, they should've just saved it for next year, rather than committing themselves in the finale in the worst ways possible. Not that that's against type, they also got rid of the three characters with the most depth and potential, though they all have ways to come back, if they regret writing them off that much.

I was really enjoying DSC, but it's not great for my fanning that the last two episodes of the season were also the worst two episodes of the season.
David cgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Feb 2018, 08:56 PM   #71
lonewriter
Registered Member

Gallery

I like it, I have looked at all the ships from this show and have not liked many of them (except the Shenzou) I still don't like the show. I got the free trial and watched the episodes but wasn't impressed. How will they do a TOS crossover? I will like to see the updated bridge from the Enterprise.
Old 13th Feb 2018, 05:11 AM   #72
ronaldheld
Contributing Member
 Gallery
LightWave

I do not think much of it, but have not see detailed enough images to decide. No chance it will revert to the 2264 version???
need a new thread, but what to change on a Sinclair model to get to the DSC version?
ronaldheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Feb 2018, 09:27 AM   #73
Dennis Bailey
Contributing Member
 Gallery
LightWave Corel Draw Paint Shop Pro Premiere

What they did here is no more than the most basic stuff that most of us think of first in "redesigning" the Enterprise. It looks old and unimaginative now.

• Start with Jefferies' Phase II redesign lines (carried through to the Probert/Michaelson ship for TMP);
  • Chop a couple of decks out of the interconnecting hull, because since TNG we all seem to expect a sleeker, or at least lower, profile;
  • Put blue "spill light" on those inner nacelle grilles;
  • Exaggerate the hull textures;
  • Add in a lot of point illumination, ala TMP.

I won't suggest that any of my work is any better, because I do pretty much exactly this stuff, with variations. And while I like Gabe's work in general I've never been a fan of his Enterprise.

I will say that I see better, more imaginative design rethinking of this ship, while being pretty faithful to the origiinal, almost every day here and on other sites like Sci-Fi Meshes. There was better stuff being done back at 3DGladiators. Madkoifish's is among the most excellent examples out there - every time I decide to take a crack at this, I realize that there are a dozen cool things that I can't do without imitating either MKF or Vektor, and then I give up.
Dennis Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Feb 2018, 08:31 PM   #74
lonewriter
Registered Member

Gallery

I agree about MKF version but he is a 3D genius. I also like the USS Challenger in the recourse section.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	73
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	84831  
Old 14th Feb 2018, 06:44 AM   #75
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery
3DS Max Illustrator Corel Paint Paint Shop Pro Photoshop After Effects Premiere

I was referring to the ncc 800 I think. I cannot find any space renders anymore all of the trekbbs results are 404 as the hosting site is gone. She predates all the reboot foolery.

lol I see it as we feed on eachother. I soaked up ideas and ways of modeling by lurking about on the fourms in the early 2000s Finding stuff like Deks NX-01 build on sfm and what not.

The neck on this STD ship seems shorter visually too because of that mustang impulse deck is eliminating the interconnect to the saucer. In a way it killed off some of the complex curves that the neck produced where it intersects the hull.
And the show is less for it if the whole pancake fleet is a result of the avoid the connie verticality of parts.

I have to say my reconnie is just influenced design from Gabe's version 1 model and the trailer for the 09 film where it looked like we would get fanblade bussards on a mostly TMP hull.
Old 14th Feb 2018, 07:11 AM   #76
Rigel

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madkoifish View Post
I was referring to the ncc 800 I think. I cannot find any space renders anymore all of the trekbbs results are 404 as the hosting site is gone. She predates all the reboot foolery.

The Phoenix is one of my favourite redesigns. This new Enterprise looks nice but it looks like ST:TMP era, not TOS. But I do like this design.

------------------------------------------------------------
Other Projects

The Universal Joint
Beechcraft 2000 airplane
LadyBug (Firefly class freighter)
Rigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Feb 2018, 12:38 PM   #77
Treybor
Asylum Inmate

Gallery
LightWave Poser ZBrush Photoshop Premiere

I'm not sure about anything in Discovery. Maybe, I'm just being and old fogie, but it really doesn't feel like Star Trek to me. Anyway, I had the opportunity recently to work with the filming model for the Discovery itself. Not at all what I expected from a modeling standpoint.
http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=1281

SubPatch Modeling Tutorial (Nudity Warning)
http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=3445
Treybor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Feb 2018, 01:00 PM   #78
Crook
Contributing Member

Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treybor View Post
I'm not sure about anything in Discovery. Maybe, I'm just being and old fogie, but it really doesn't feel like Star Trek to me. Anyway, I had the opportunity recently to work with the filming model for the Discovery itself. Not at all what I expected from a modeling standpoint.
Can you say why?
Old 15th Feb 2018, 02:13 PM   #79
Treybor
Asylum Inmate

Gallery
LightWave Poser ZBrush Photoshop Premiere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crook View Post
Can you say why?
Some of it was extremely elegant and some of it seemed extremely rushed. Made me wonder if they had different modelers working on it.
http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=1281

SubPatch Modeling Tutorial (Nudity Warning)
http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=3445
Treybor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Feb 2018, 02:40 AM   #80
Starbase1
Registered Member

Gallery
Blender LightWave Modo Poser Terragen Vue Gimp Paint Shop Pro Photoshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treybor View Post
The relentlessly grim tone doesn't feel remotely trek like...

Starbase1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Feb 2018, 06:34 AM   #81
ronaldheld
Contributing Member
 Gallery
LightWave

trekmovie analysis: https://trekmovie.com/2018/02/17/a-c...rek-discovery/
Comments?
Old 18th Feb 2018, 07:45 PM   #82
Dennis Bailey
Contributing Member
 Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldheld View Post
He likes the thing too much.
Old 19th Feb 2018, 05:18 AM   #83
ronaldheld
Contributing Member
 Gallery
LightWave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Bailey View Post
He likes the thing too much.
Unfortunately true.
Old 19th Feb 2018, 08:17 AM   #84
trekki
Contributing Member

Gallery
Cinema 4D

Who built the model of the Poenix?
trekki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Feb 2018, 05:07 AM   #85
ronaldheld
Contributing Member
 Gallery
LightWave

What Phoenix? allegedly John Eaves made the altered Enterprise.
Old 20th Feb 2018, 07:12 AM   #86
Rigel

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekki View Post
Who built the model of the Poenix?
Dennis Bailey

Quote:
What Phoenix? allegedly John Eaves made the altered Enterprise.
The ship image in MKF's post above. It's in F3D's resources. I also used it as a ship destroyed by an asteroid in a render I did a while back.

------------------------------------------------------------
Other Projects

The Universal Joint
Beechcraft 2000 airplane
LadyBug (Firefly class freighter)
Rigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2018, 05:15 AM   #87
ronaldheld
Contributing Member
 Gallery
LightWave

Phoenix is a F3D resource but not any DSC ships?
Old 21st Feb 2018, 06:56 AM   #88
Dennis Bailey
Contributing Member
 Gallery

Quote:
Phoenix is a F3D resource but not any DSC ships?
I'm sure they will be. I'm mildly surprised that I have not yet seen anywhere on line a good available mesh for either Discovery or the U.S.S. Orville.
Old 21st Feb 2018, 10:28 AM   #89
Lemon Wolf
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop After Effects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Bailey View Post
I'm mildly surprised that I have not yet seen anywhere on line a good available mesh for either Discovery ...
There is a really good blender model of the Discovery out there made by Chris Kuhn.
Lemon Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2018, 11:14 AM   #90
lonewriter
Registered Member

Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Wolf View Post
There is a really good blender model of the Discovery out there made by Chris Kuhn.
It's also available in either fbx obj or 3ds, I don't remember without looking on my PC and I'm on my iPad. I imported it in Lightwave and textured it, it's not bad but could use work.

Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Discussions & Support > The Cafe