Old 11th Jan 2015, 06:30 AM   #1
Bells of Freedom
Registered Member
 Gallery
3DS Max Blender Houdini LightWave Maya Modo Vue Gimp Photoshop

Default Image Textures, Jagged Edges

Question:
How do you smooth jagged edges on a texture?

Background:
I've been having trouble with rendering an image map. I keep getting jagged edges. The texture just looks very poor quality. However, this is a sample Substance texture, and I've tried it at size 1024 and 4096. Same issue on both.
I'm hesitant to think that it's an issue w/ the quality of the map. (I believe the texture is procedurally generated in Substance, but it's applied as an image map in LW.)

I've been working on it for about 3 hours this morning, and 2-3 hours yesterday.
Here's a summary of what I've tried:
- Persp camera and Classic cam
- In Tex Editor, turned mipmap off, or high.
- Pixel blending off/on
- having camera close or further away, rendered image size at 7000 px, and used render region, (made sure render display was at 100%, and not zoomed in by accident)
- oversampling off, around .01, .1, or .5
- using an area light
- tried lighting samples and shading samples at 12 up to 500, no change
- Persp cam, Mitchel filter sharp, Lanczos sharp
- sampling pattern at low discrep, fixed, classic
- quite a few other tweaks, always changing only one thing at a time
- had the same result in modo
- using LW 11.6.3

Thanks in advance if you're able to respond.

". . . the price of success is dedication, hard work, and an unremitting devotion to the things you want to see happen."
- Frank Lloyd Wright

Whatever "goes wrong" will teach us.
Bells of Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2015, 07:22 AM   #2
Gordon Robb
Contributing Member

Gallery
LightWave ZBrush Corel Paint Photoshop After Effects Premiere

Have you looked at the image map in a picture viewing program, rather than in a render? Just to check it actaully is a smooth image/
Old 11th Jan 2015, 08:40 AM   #3
Bells of Freedom
Registered Member
 Gallery

Hi Gordon,

I looked at the texture in Gimp, and it doesn't look all that smooth. So it may be the texture, which leads me to two more questions.

1. Just so I know, what are the settings for getting a crisp but smooth render of a texture in LW?

2. The texture is a free sample of a Substance texture. Have you worked w/ Substance Designer or Substance Player? I even output at 4096, and although it helps a little, it still doesn't look very good.
It may be prudent to just start a different thread, if it does, in fact, turn out to be the Subst tex.

Thanks for your reply

". . . the price of success is dedication, hard work, and an unremitting devotion to the things you want to see happen."
- Frank Lloyd Wright

Old 11th Jan 2015, 12:06 PM   #4
Gordon Robb
Contributing Member

Gallery

I'm confused by your first question. I assume you have an image from Substance Designer, and are looking at it in Gimp. If it's not that smooth, nothing you can do in LW will change that. It must be a setting in SD that needs to change. It must be changing the output resolution, without changing the resolution of the input or something.
Old 11th Jan 2015, 06:38 PM   #5
JackN

Gallery
LightWave Illustrator Photoshop After Effects Premiere

Yeah LW AA won't help much with a bad image.

File formats, multiple saves in JPG, palette vs RGB mode and the tools you use in those modes all affect line quality in an image even before you get it into Lightwave or any other program for that matter.

It is important to know the difference between Anti Aliasing in a 3D app and the quality of Anti Aliasing of the image before it goes into the 3D app you are using.
JackN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jan 2015, 10:13 AM   #6
Bells of Freedom
Registered Member
 Gallery

Thanks Gordon and JackN. I appreciate the input.

Gordon,
To clarify, at first I thought it must be an issue in LW, because the textures were looking fine in Substance Player. But after your first post I investigated the original texture more, and found that it is indeed causing jagged edges in Substance Player.
I'm doing the trial of Substance Designer, but I'll have to pour over tutorials and see if I can solve this.

Thanks again, guys

- Frank Lloyd Wright

Old 28th Jan 2015, 08:57 AM   #7
Bells of Freedom
Registered Member
 Gallery

Default The saga continues - Modo, Maya, & Different Textures

I'm thinking there must be some basic technique or best practice that I'm missing.

I'm still having this issue, and have tried numerous different textures.
Note for clarification: I am creating/modifying the textures in Substance Designer, and outputting as jpgs or pngs.
I have viewed them in MS Paint, and GIMP, and done adjustments in Gimp, such as blur or sharpen.

- Tried in LW, as per previous posts
- Same results in modo 801 (jagged textures, textures look like crap)
- Same results in Maya 2015
- Tried numerous different textures via Substance Designer
- Tried blurring textures (slightly, and heavily) in both Subst Designer before output as image maps, and in Gimp, after output to jpg or png
- Have set the textures to be 2048K, and 16 bit, in Subst Designer before output
- Have tried using height maps, basic b/w diffuse maps, b/w bump maps, and many variations, just to make sure the errors were consistent

I just tried outputting the same texture as EXR. When applying the EXR maps in modo the results are much better. However, I still believe I'm doing something wrong, as I know jpgs and pngs are used as textures all the time (among other formats). I should be able to use either file format and get good results.

Attached are different textures that have caused errors.
Any thoughts would be appreciated, if you have the time.
Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clouds_bump_4.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	76929  Click image for larger version

Name:	Clouds_diffuse.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	188.0 KB
ID:	76930  Click image for larger version

Name:	Clouds_normal_to_height_1.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	76931  

- Frank Lloyd Wright

Old 28th Jan 2015, 12:13 PM   #8
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery
3DS Max Illustrator Corel Paint Paint Shop Pro Photoshop After Effects Premiere

I think maybe a example of the issue might produce an answer as then people can see for themselves what the issue is other than some written description.

The jps you uploaded seem to work fine in MAX. There is a bit of noise in my sample as max has a bug where if you apply a gloss map the sampling ration is still grayed out if left at the max value of 1. (too lazy to change it and remove the noise.) Other than that I am not seeing any jaggies clipping or other oddities. Wondering it it might not be a per material AA, max has something like this called blur and often results in fuzzy ugfly textures as it defaults to 1 when it should be like 0.02. But you mention loading these in LW and Maya.

Anyhow try posting a example or set up a scene with an example of the issue if what your working on is view sensitive.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	texture test.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	220.4 KB
ID:	76933  
Old 28th Jan 2015, 03:40 PM   #9
Gordon Robb
Contributing Member

Gallery

Just to check, are these the image you're putting into substance designer, or the images it's outputting?

Also, cannot we see a shot of the render in LW showing the proble,?
Old 29th Jan 2015, 10:34 AM   #10
Bells of Freedom
Registered Member
 Gallery

Correct, these images are coming out of Substance Designer. I'll try to get a scene file uploaded within a day or so. It will be a modo 801 scene. I've been focusing on modo more as I've been more disappointed w/ LW.

- Frank Lloyd Wright

Old 29th Jan 2015, 10:37 AM   #11
Bells of Freedom
Registered Member
 Gallery

Okay, so I was able to upload now, thought I had to be away from my desk for something.

Attached are the diffuse and height map images I used (the large, full size jpgs).
The renders are the smaller images, as I was doing a render region.

The diffuse map was on diffuse color and instanced to the bump channel.
Height map was on displacement.

Any thoughts would be great, thank you.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	modo texture problem 01.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	76956  Click image for larger version

Name:	modo texture problem 02.JPG
Views:	251
Size:	181.1 KB
ID:	76957  Click image for larger version

Name:	Clouds_diffuse.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	188.0 KB
ID:	76958  Click image for larger version

Name:	Clouds_normal_to_height_1.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	76959  

- Frank Lloyd Wright

Old 29th Jan 2015, 11:10 AM   #12
Amras
Contributing Member

Gallery
Cinema 4D Photoshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bells of Freedom View Post
Okay, so I was able to upload now, thought I had to be away from my desk for something.

Attached are the diffuse and height map images I used (the large, full size jpgs).
The renders are the smaller images, as I was doing a render region.

The diffuse map was on diffuse color and instanced to the bump channel.
Height map was on displacement.

Any thoughts would be great, thank you.
If you ask me, the problem has nothing to do with the images.
It is in the displacement process or the surface smoothing (phongshading in Cinemad4d or Smoothing groups in MAX)
Try a higher subdivision and look into that phongshading stuff.
Elite Dangerous: Inara
Amras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jan 2015, 07:25 AM   #13
Bells of Freedom
Registered Member
 Gallery

Thanks, Amras. I'm not sure it's the displacement settings. I had tried a range of settings from having 1 poly face (no subdiv) to very high subD settings, using the micropolygon displacement settings.

Could you explain the phong shading thing? I know in Maya you can choose b/w Blinn, Lambert, Phong, etc. But I don't know if that's possible in Modo. I'm using 801

- Frank Lloyd Wright

Old 30th Jan 2015, 07:53 AM   #14
Amras
Contributing Member

Gallery
Cinema 4D Photoshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bells of Freedom View Post
Thanks, Amras. I'm not sure it's the displacement settings. I had tried a range of settings from having 1 poly face (no subdiv) to very high subD settings, using the micropolygon displacement settings.

Could you explain the phong shading thing? I know in Maya you can choose b/w Blinn, Lambert, Phong, etc. But I don't know if that's possible in Modo. I'm using 801
This might help
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phong_shading
Old 30th Jan 2015, 08:05 AM   #15
Bells of Freedom
Registered Member
 Gallery

Cool, thanks. I'll check that out.

- Frank Lloyd Wright

Old 30th Jan 2015, 05:29 PM   #16
BillS
Administrator

Gallery
LightWave Maya Modo Softimage XSI ZBrush Illustrator Corel Paint Photoshop

I get the same results with the images you posted. I would try png or better tiff. Those are lossless 24 bit. Usually you want as much depth as you can get with a displacement map.
Bill. aka LemmingDude. aka Ethangar, Ethanger, Ethengar, Ethenger, Ethan, Eth, ehenger, etharger, Ethel, Ehtangar, Ethanfar, hanger, Eclangers, Ethand, ethang, hangar, Ethanol, Ethangix, Ethangod, Eggnog, Ethanprop........
Lemming World
BillS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jan 2015, 06:03 PM   #17
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

24 bit wont matter if the outputted grayscale images are or would still be 256 stepped grayscale images. In so far as I know displacement works only with those 256 levels.

Still a bit at odds going from textures to displacement maps and jaggieness it looks like a butt load of stair stepping due to a lack of gradient steps. IE to shallow of a rage for the app to determine what it should do with the output images.

Just be careful with PNG TIFF TGA etc as they can carry a lot of extra info like 256 level alpha transparency. I do agree I would never use jpg unless it was for final or distro level diffuse maps.

As for bit depth I do not know if the app you are using can even address more than 256 levels of gray. MOST do not.

I think you might want to expand your maps those grayed out ones have very little information to them and why most displacement maps are multi colour based to have more info in them for the software to operate on.

Now I dunno if this might be the issue. But when doing displacement you want the full range then adjust the intensity through the software.

BTW I probably wouldnt mix bump and displacement maps.

I do have to say I am not getting anything like you are in max with arch design and I am using that dim height map.
Old 30th Jan 2015, 06:34 PM   #18
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

OK I figured it out. It IS the images.
I reproduced it all in max with various settings BUT I will not bother converting or uploading the results as well
Stick the heigh map into gimp ps or any editing tool RAMP up the contrast. You will then see these SQUARES in the images themselves. It isnt apparent at first but they are in the images. I suspect the tool being used to generate these is using some sort of algorythem based on some sort of square math IE breaking elements down into sections

Name:	NOISE.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	76968
Attached is a zoomed in and contrast adjusted image zoom is X2 These artifacts exists in both files BTW.
image showing these block artifacts Not use if this is jpg because jpg DOES work on that decimating square regions to compress the images. (never use jpg EXP for grayscale as it is always larger than a lossless PNG and horribly inferior)

Name:	displacementartifacts-001.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	76971

NOW because this map is so dim IE it only contains 69 levels after it has gone through jpg vomiting. Likely half that prior to being JPGed. You only have that many LEVELS of adjustment. SO if you took this image adjusted it to have a absolute white and absolute black and you will see it stairstep all over. SO I suggest outputting a huge version of the images,smoothing then unsharp masking the diffuse map then resampling down and running unsharp mask again and using that as displacement BEST is to see if the tool can output a proper displacement map containing all 4 shades as this will give you even more to work with.

Attached is a rendered image using a filtered and processed version of your diffuse map. Yes it dows show some rez issues as I am too close for the rez of the maps used. To smooth it I used edge preserving smooth in PSP7 then unsharp mask. Latter you have to be careful of not to create pillow hotspots or haloing so you'll have to fiddle with it. (Just do not use "sharpen")
FIXED diffuse map

Name:	Clouds_diffuse-FIXED.png
Views:	2859
Size:	979.3 KB
ID:	76970

Render with DIFFUSE maps used in displacement slot only. INCREASED the strength to amplify any possible artifacts. It is a bit mushy as I am zoomed into the object and really just too close for the overall size of the map.

Name:	Corrected-DISPLACEMENT.png
Views:	785
Size:	438.9 KB
ID:	76969
just use the strength setting in the displacement map to control how much it displaces. If this is missing I am sure some sort of blend or mix material to dim the map would be better than a crushed spectrum image.
Old 31st Jan 2015, 01:38 AM   #19
Amras
Contributing Member

Gallery
Cinema 4D Photoshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madkoifish View Post
OK I figured it out. It IS the images.
I reproduced it all in max with various settings BUT I will not bother converting or uploading the results as well
Stick the heigh map into gimp ps or any editing tool RAMP up the contrast. You will then see these SQUARES in the images themselves. It isnt apparent at first but they are in the images. I suspect the tool being used to generate these is using some sort of algorythem based on some sort of square math IE breaking elements down into sections
Attachment 76968
Attached is a zoomed in and contrast adjusted image zoom is X2 These artifacts exists in both files BTW.
image showing these block artifacts Not use if this is jpg because jpg DOES work on that decimating square regions to compress the images. (never use jpg EXP for grayscale as it is always larger than a lossless PNG and horribly inferior)
Attachment 76971

NOW because this map is so dim IE it only contains 69 levels after it has gone through jpg vomiting. Likely half that prior to being JPGed. You only have that many LEVELS of adjustment. SO if you took this image adjusted it to have a absolute white and absolute black and you will see it stairstep all over. SO I suggest outputting a huge version of the images,smoothing then unsharp masking the diffuse map then resampling down and running unsharp mask again and using that as displacement BEST is to see if the tool can output a proper displacement map containing all 4 shades as this will give you even more to work with.

Attached is a rendered image using a filtered and processed version of your diffuse map. Yes it dows show some rez issues as I am too close for the rez of the maps used. To smooth it I used edge preserving smooth in PSP7 then unsharp mask. Latter you have to be careful of not to create pillow hotspots or haloing so you'll have to fiddle with it. (Just do not use "sharpen")
FIXED diffuse map
Attachment 76970

Render with DIFFUSE maps used in displacement slot only. INCREASED the strength to amplify any possible artifacts. It is a bit mushy as I am zoomed into the object and really just too close for the overall size of the map.
Attachment 76969
just use the strength setting in the displacement map to control how much it displaces. If this is missing I am sure some sort of blend or mix material to dim the map would be better than a crushed spectrum image.
So it was the image. Interesting!
Well done!
Old 31st Jan 2015, 05:21 AM   #20
Bells of Freedom
Registered Member
 Gallery

Thank you all for the detailed input. I can see how I was way off in my thinking. There's obviously more to creating diff, displ, and other maps than I thought. I always thought you just had to output to the right format (heighmap as grayscale, etc). This is really good info.

I'll make some adjustments and see if I can match the results you all posted.

I'll try setting all of the nodes in Substance Designer to be 16 bit, and see if that helps.

Thanks!!

- Frank Lloyd Wright

Old 31st Jan 2015, 08:32 AM   #21
JackN

Gallery

Those square regions look an awful lot like JPG/MPG compression artifacts...
Old 1st Feb 2015, 05:51 AM   #22
Bells of Freedom
Registered Member
 Gallery

Thanks, JackN. Yeah, I think I'll just have to stay away from jpg's for this type of thing. I was hoping to make them work since they take up a lot less disk space than PNGs or TIFFs, but I guess that's just due to the lower quality.

I can't complain, though. At least disk space is cheaper than RAM

- Frank Lloyd Wright

Old 1st Feb 2015, 10:42 AM   #23
JackN

Gallery

When doing something in PS, if I save out to JPG, I always save out to baseline - highest quality (lvl 12) which I think is loss less.

But I can't speak for other apps.
Old 1st Feb 2015, 03:51 PM   #24
Meurig

Gallery
LightWave Maya Mudbox ZBrush Paint Shop Pro Photoshop Boujou Digital Fusion Shake Premiere

No JPG is lossless because it's a clamped format. PNG, TIF, or EXR are the way to go, especially for data maps; displacement, spec/refl etc.
Meurig is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Techniques, Instruction > Texturing