Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Discussions & Support > The Cafe
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Cafe IMP, LLC, owners of this site, is happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules and use good internet etiquette (link). Discuss topics of your choice in the Cafe only, with the exception of sex or topics deemed inappropriate for family consumption. Discussions of politics and religion are discouraged due to their volatile nature; however, each thread will be judged individually for content (religion and politics) and will not be shut down immediately. Staff retains the right to close or delete any post which they deem inappropriate. Threads or posts that advocate violence or hate, advance spam, or violate our TOS will be deleted or closed.

Old 21st Feb 2018, 11:09 AM   #1
Fabio
Lightwave Samurai

Gallery
3DS Max Cinema 4D LightWave Maya Rhino Vue ZBrush Corel Draw Corel Paint Paint Shop Pro Photoshop After Effects Premiere

Default PC build - advice welcomed...

Hi all

that time has come round again where I'm in need of a hardware upgrade as the software has outgrown my current rig..

I'm having trouble deciding between processors though and would appreciate any input..

I 'm trying to decide between an i7-8700K - with 6 cores and 12 threads
OR
an i7-7820X with 8 cores and 16 threads..

benchmarks rate the latter as slightly slower than the former and the cost difference is substantial as the latter is nearly twice the price.

The question is would I notice any real world difference between the two in things like lightwave when rendering to make the additional cost worth it?

bear in mind i'm also upgrading from an aging AMD FX6200 - 6core

advice appreciated..

"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true. "
Administrator-F3D
Fabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2018, 06:07 PM   #2
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery
3DS Max Illustrator Corel Paint Paint Shop Pro Photoshop After Effects Premiere

Other than keeping in mind you will be locked to win10 or some flavor of compatable linux.

I would be careful of overall benchmarks as many are game oriented. The 8700k can beat the 7820 in single core and lower core processing so it depends on your use. Most benchmarks I see are heavily gaming related. Once you start looking at heavy multi threaded workstation chores the 8700k drops behind.

A quick google gives this site as a example of targeted benchmarks, probably better ones out there.
http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare...20X/3937vs3928

Also it depends what else you are adding to the box, X380 and X299 have differing options and limits. X380 might not have enough pcie lanes if you plan to add additional cards or multi RAID arrays on NVME drives.

Also keep in mind we are about 3~6mo from a cpu refresh as well as a gpu refresh in less time. 2080 skus are already making the rounds.

My opinion is to wait a bit and see what comes out and how the market changes. The 1st quarter of a year IMHO is the worst time to upgrade or buy.
Old 24th Feb 2018, 11:32 AM   #3
Fabio
Lightwave Samurai

Gallery
3DS Max Cinema 4D LightWave Maya Rhino Vue ZBrush Corel Draw Corel Paint Paint Shop Pro Photoshop After Effects Premiere

sadly the first quarter of the year is when many businesses upgrade due to accounting and purchasing deadlines - which I suspect is the whole point in delaying new design launches as it offers a way to sell off the prior designs as efficiently as possible..

I went for the 8700K in the end although it lacks slightly on the other one for multitasking - the 300-500% increase over my current rig was enought to sway my decision and it's slight lack of performance when compared to its sibling when multitasking just didn't warrant the extra 250-300 pounds for the privilege

I did use that website to aid me in my decision greatly and I'll settle for Nuclear submarine over UFO for my multitasking - single core modelling performance being my major priority really...

"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true. "
Administrator-F3D
Fabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Mar 2018, 11:52 AM   #4
lonewriter
Registered Member

Gallery
3DS Max Blender Bryce LightWave Terragen Vue Illustrator Photoshop

Are you going to upgrade RAM or the graphics card?
lonewriter is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Discussions & Support > The Cafe