Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Discussions & Support > The Cafe
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Cafe IMP, LLC, owners of this site, is happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules and use good internet etiquette (link). Discuss topics of your choice in the Cafe only, with the exception of sex or topics deemed inappropriate for family consumption. Discussions of politics and religion are discouraged due to their volatile nature; however, each thread will be judged individually for content (religion and politics) and will not be shut down immediately. Staff retains the right to close or delete any post which they deem inappropriate. Threads or posts that advocate violence or hate, advance spam, or violate our TOS will be deleted or closed.

Old 31st Dec 2007, 12:52 PM   #31
Kionel
Contributing Member

Gallery
Blender LightWave Maya Modo Vue Photoshop After Effects Premiere

Saw this on the day after Christmas. Have to admit, I was a bit dissappointed. It was fine, but -- as fussy as this may seem -- the moment the (SPOILER Queen waved and said "Thank you, Doctor!" SPOILER END) I kind of died inside.

All in all, a bit of a let-down, particularly with Astrid's story arch, and the fact that they really didn't play with the fact that her name is a TARDIS anagram.

Grumble.
Kionel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Dec 2007, 01:01 PM   #32
Kionel
Contributing Member

Gallery

This...

Quote:
403. Planet of the Ood (Title in a news report)
195. 050408
A trip to the far future. The Doctor remembers his eighth incarnation...
...and this...

Quote:
More flashback scenes of the 8th Doctor during the timewar, including the moment when Davros kills him.
...leaves me with an obvious, if stupid couple of questions:

1. Is Paul McGannn booked for episodes as the 8th Doctor this season?

2. Does this also mean we might see Eccleston show up as Nine?

I guess there's a third question here:

3. Can I be more of a nerd today?

Tony
Old 31st Dec 2007, 01:15 PM   #33
SteveMoody
Contributing Member

Gallery
LightWave Softimage XSI Vue Photoshop Digital Fusion Premiere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kionel View Post
the moment the (SPOILER Queen waved and said "Thank you, Doctor!" SPOILER END) I kind of died inside.
You're not the only one
SteveMoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Apr 2008, 06:31 AM   #34
janus
Contributing Member

Gallery
LightWave Maya Mudbox ZBrush Photoshop After Effects Premiere

Thought I'd bump this as series four begins next Saturday

Also as an aside pleasanly suprised by Torchwood S2, not perfect but an improvement over the first try

Finally has anyone heard any more about the 4 Doctors Episode? I've not picked up anything about that at all!
janus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Apr 2008, 06:39 AM   #35
Meurig

Gallery
LightWave Maya Mudbox ZBrush Paint Shop Pro Photoshop Boujou Digital Fusion Shake Premiere

I've thought this season of Torchwood to be (almost) consistently excellent. They've dropped most of the pointless sex and swearing that plagued the first series and I don't know if they have a new script editor on board or something but I think the dialogue has taken a real step up, especially the stuff between Gwen and Rhys which sounds extremely natural. I'm glad they decided to flesh out his character a bit because their scenes tend to be very well handled.

The only two episodes I didn't think much of were the first when Captain John arrives. That one wasn't bad, but a bit more First Series than the others, and hte other was the Circus people episode which I just really didn't like.

Very impressive otherwise. Lets see how it ends on friday

And yay! Dr who S4 It's about time.
Meurig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Apr 2008, 04:19 PM   #36
Crook
Contributing Member

Gallery
LightWave Terragen ZBrush Photoshop After Effects

I've also loved Torchwood S2. I've thought Ianto has been very funny with some looks. A good comedy writer is involved I think. Best one was where he got a hockey stick to kill that resurrection glove thing and Jack gave him a great look

I've liked the continuity of Zombie Owen, and hopes this leads to more twists on his undead status. I agree that Rhys has been great. Very natural dialogue from a (rightly) pissed off husband.
Crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Apr 2008, 04:38 PM   #37
janus
Contributing Member

Gallery

Alleged Episode Titles for S4:

1. Partners in Crime
2. The Fires of Pompell
3. Planet of the Ood
4. The Sontaran Stratagem
5. The Poison Sky
6. The Doctor's Daughter
7. The Unicorn & The Wasp
8. Silence in the Library
9. River's Run
10. Midnight
11. Turn Left
12. TBA
13. Journey's End

Not too sure about the E13 title! Unless it refers to RTD himself
Old 1st Apr 2008, 04:41 PM   #38
janus
Contributing Member

Gallery

I like the fact that this series of Torchwood when they need a bigger gun they went and got a bigger gun as opposed to S01 where they tended to stand by helplessly. Like Rhys I hated the circus people episode it just felt like filler to me but the Captain John episode I thought was ok.
Old 5th Apr 2008, 05:52 PM   #39
janus
Contributing Member

Gallery

So I just watched the end of Torchwood Series 2, and I'm kinda mixed on the whole thing was it time to kill a few characters? .....hmmm maybe. Where the ones that died the right ones? for me no, I would of liked of had a Gwen closing the rift AGAIN thing but it didn't hapen and a character I did like got killed. Also the whole Grey thing seemed forced, what gave him power over certain people? and so on.
Old 5th Apr 2008, 05:56 PM   #40
janus
Contributing Member

Gallery

On another note Doctor Who S04 "Partners in Crime" aired tonight and I have to say I enjoyed it very much. Nice bit at the end when Donna has dropped the keys in the bin I thought, I REALLY did not expect to see that face in Episode 1!! Loved the two sonic devices trick and thought Catherine Tate, and the establishment of the ground rules around her character were not only excellent but paves the way for some very interesting story archs later in the series.

Any other takers?
Old 5th Apr 2008, 06:41 PM   #41
Meurig

Gallery
LightWave Maya Mudbox ZBrush Paint Shop Pro Photoshop Boujou Digital Fusion Shake Premiere

The last ep of Torchwood was a disaster, I am really disappointed after the rest of the series was so good overall. The episode construction was a complete mess, it felt like a collection of scenes from different episodes jumbled together incoherently. Jack is buried for 2000 years without any repercussions OF ANY KIND?! Or even another mention after that?! What's more the 19th century Torchwood team apparently buried him with Chloroform to kill his Brother as well....

It was full of plot holes and contrivances and made very little sense. Very sub par. I'm sad to see Toshiko die because I liked her character a lot, though she died trying to save someone which was a pretty decent way to write her out. It's about time that Owen was killed and that had been coming for several episodes so it wasn't particularly surprising. Very much disappointed overall.

Partners in crime, in start contrast, was fantastic I thought. Genuinely funny without feeling forced, an interestingly unusual story, an amusingly mental villain in people's fat detaching form their bodies, a cool spaceship (albeit heavily influenced by Close Encounters ) some good dialogue and good performances all round. Tate was also pretty good I felt and better for the lack of screaming and yelling that she did in the Runaway Bride two years ago, and an interesting little tidbit for us VFX-heads is that this episode featured the first use of MASSIVE in a television program

Very good overall, and I'm very much looking forward to the rest of the series.
Old 6th Apr 2008, 05:13 AM   #42
Crook
Contributing Member

Gallery
LightWave Terragen ZBrush Photoshop After Effects

One of the best episodes, ever. Tate was fantastic, having a comedian as a companion is definately a perfect choice, and having her an equal of sorts to the Doctor is also the best position.

Super cute aliens, and I hope we see more massive work on Who now. The whole ep was great, but to have Rose in it at the end was the crowning glory.

Perfect.
Crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Apr 2008, 07:16 AM   #43
Oscaron
Contributing Member

Gallery
LightWave Poser Illustrator Photoshop

My wife a little snarkily commented that she had wished that Rose would have unzipped her head revealing a Slitheen. Seems my wife doesn't like Rose and the idea of someone skinning her appealed
Old 8th Apr 2008, 02:19 PM   #44
wave of light
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave Vue Illustrator Photoshop

Watched the first episode of the new series and yes, I have to agree that the Tate inclusion is a good move. She doesn't fancy him and so they can get on with the whole Adventure.

Rose at the end was a nice touch... we'll wait to see how that one pans out.

Do the moderators want to put a 'spoiler' bit in the title just incase our friends over the pond don't want to know what's happening?
Old 8th Apr 2008, 03:01 PM   #45
Oscaron
Contributing Member

Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave of light View Post
Watched the first episode of the new series and yes, I have to agree that the Tate inclusion is a good move. She doesn't fancy him and so they can get on with the whole Adventure.

Rose at the end was a nice touch... we'll wait to see how that one pans out.

Do the moderators want to put a 'spoiler' bit in the title just incase our friends over the pond don't want to know what's happening?
Yes.....don't spoil it for us...Some of us won't see it for months...er....um..yeah..
Old 9th Apr 2008, 09:52 AM   #46
Kionel
Contributing Member

Gallery

Saw S4 E01 on Sunday morning with my family. Enjoyed it much more than the Christmas Special. Gasped along with the rest of my family when SPOILER Rose SPOILER appeared, then faded at the end.

One of my favorite lines in the show, though, was hearing Donna say "You look older," to the Doctor. It was nice to have that acknowledged. Of course, being RTD, I think it really points out what's going to happen with E13.

Looking forward to Sunday morning.

Tony
Old 14th Apr 2008, 08:58 AM   #47
janus
Contributing Member

Gallery

Just watched E2 Fires of Pompei last night and was blown away, we really loved it! great storyline, nice dilema, excellent sets and FX were not overused. I can see that some people would not like the end bit but we thought it worked well as the Doctor acknowledges that he needs someone to temper him sometimes. Overall up there will the Steven Moffat episodes for me and if this is the standard we can expect from S4 then we're all going to be very happy bunnies!
Old 14th Apr 2008, 09:00 AM   #48
janus
Contributing Member

Gallery

Quote:
One of my favorite lines in the show, though, was hearing Donna say "You look older," to the Doctor. It was nice to have that acknowledged. Of course, being RTD, I think it really points out what's going to happen with E13.
Do you mean the rumoured regeneration? If so I didn't think of it that way I thought it was RTD taking the mickey as almost everyone tells the Doctor he hasn't aged a day. But I might be wrong.
Old 14th Apr 2008, 01:40 PM   #49
wave of light
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave Vue Illustrator Photoshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by janus View Post
Just watched E2 Fires of Pompei last night and was blown away, we really loved it! great storyline, nice dilema, excellent sets and FX were not overused. I can see that some people would not like the end bit but we thought it worked well as the Doctor acknowledges that he needs someone to temper him sometimes. Overall up there will the Steven Moffat episodes for me and if this is the standard we can expect from S4 then we're all going to be very happy bunnies!
Totally agree.

SPOILER******* The FXs on the fire demons were excellent... but a water pistol... come on! Also, what will be the result of them saving the Roman family? ***********SPOILER
Old 21st Apr 2008, 05:42 AM   #50
thedoctor75147
Registered Member

Gallery
3DS Max Blender LightWave ZBrush Photoshop

just saw The Planet of the Ood, absolutly brilliant. i really hope this season keeps up the pace, can not wait to see the next ep.
I'm old enough to know that a longer life isn't always a better one. In the end you just get tired. Tired of the struggle. Tired of losing everyone that matters to you. Tired of watching everything turn to dust.
thedoctor75147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Apr 2008, 06:36 AM   #51
Kionel
Contributing Member

Gallery

Yep, Planet of the Ood was wonderful.

The only thing I worry about is...

SPOILER the comment made by Sigma that "Every song must end." Sounds very much like this is, indeed, Tenant's last season as the Doctor. END SPOILER.

I hope I'm wrong.
Old 21st Apr 2008, 06:43 AM   #52
Meurig

Gallery

I found that bits of Planet of the Ood made very little sense, like why or how Percy would turn into an Ood, how exactly one of the Ood becomes the 'embodiment of patience' and I really very much disliked the shot of the guy falling into and getting eaten by the giant brain. Not only was it a really dodgy comp but it was also plain stupid; If the guy had been pushed over the railings and fell into those tesla coil things I'd have bought that, but being absorbed by the brain made no sense.

I'll give it a second watch at some point in the next week and bits of it may be a bit more coherent with the benefit of hindsight, but overall irritating plotholes aside it was enjoyable enough. The story behind the Ood was interesting and reasonably well developed, most of the matte scenery shots were quite nice - though the one looking down the mountain at the complex from afar looked really cartoony - and at the end of the day the Ood are a cool design and it's nice to see them again.

Sontarans next week.
Old 21st Apr 2008, 08:16 PM   #53
konestudios
Registered Member
 Gallery
LightWave Photoshop After Effects Premiere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscaron View Post
Was it sappy, predictible holidays stupid? or floaty, glowing Doctor in Last of the Time Lords stupid?

Attachment 2890
Oh yes, the glowing Tinkerbell fairy Doctor. Did Russell T Davies just right himself into a corner and was like "Crap, need to save the Doctor? I know, a deus ex machina device."

With Rose coming back, RTD better do a damn good job or else he should just quit and let Steven Moffatt take over. RTD has written some good episodes (The End of the World, Army of Ghosts & Doomsday, Gridlock), but Steven Moffatt has written BETTER episodes. Even though I've been a Steven Moffatt fan before I started watching Doctor Who (I really enjoyed his series Coupling), doesn't change anything.

Also, Rose wasn't that great of a companion. She wasn't the worst, but she wasn't a good one. There were some great companions. Like Ian & Barbara, the two school teachers who knew how to handle themselves when the Doctor wasn't around. Or Steven, who was chosen by the Doctor to lead the people at the end of the Savages. Now I haven't seen every classic Doctor Who episode, but Susan and Dodo were pretty bad companions. Susan was whiny, and Dodo was just plain stupid.
konestudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Apr 2008, 08:40 PM   #54
Nadesico
Contributing Member

Gallery
3DS Max LightWave Maya Paint Shop Pro Photoshop After Effects Premiere

David Tennant has been signed on to play the doctor through to at least the end of 2009 which includes 5 TV specials, i dont think the doctor will be regenerating anytime soon.

"With 5,000,000 models being destroyed a week, who's going to miss another one?"
Nadesico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Apr 2008, 01:09 PM   #55
janus
Contributing Member

Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadesico View Post
David Tennant has been signed on to play the doctor through to at least the end of 2009 which includes 5 TV specials, i dont think the doctor will be regenerating anytime soon.
Well that's great news where did you find it?

My personal view is that if you've been a Whoian all your life, which Tennant is, and if you have a producer who admits that the series has to be written to keep you (Tennant) interested, whch Russell T Davies admits and if you're pulling in terrestial viewing figures between the 8-7 milion mark which Who is and you get to take every fourth year or so off to do other cool stuff which they are why on earth would you want to leave at all?
Old 25th Apr 2008, 01:12 PM   #56
janus
Contributing Member

Gallery

We thought Planet of the Ood was pretty good, not great but then Fires of Pompei would take some beating. It certainly wasn't Love and Monsters bad! Though I'd agree with Rhys on some of the dodgier shots esp the man falling into he Ood brain thing. But overall a nice episode.
Old 25th Apr 2008, 03:28 PM   #57
Oscaron
Contributing Member

Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kionel View Post
Yep, Planet of the Ood was wonderful.

The only thing I worry about is...

SPOILER the comment made by Sigma that "Every song must end." Sounds very much like this is, indeed, Tenant's last season as the Doctor. END SPOILER.

I hope I'm wrong.
I found myself more worried with the title of the last episode of the season.
Old 25th Apr 2008, 03:31 PM   #58
Oscaron
Contributing Member

Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meurig View Post
Iand at the end of the day the Ood are a cool design and it's nice to see them again.
Plus, it's fun to chase the kids around the house looking like an Ood. (Back of the hand against your mouth, wriggling the fingers and making slurpy noises.....kids squeel and run and my wife gives me the evil eye )
Old 25th Apr 2008, 03:41 PM   #59
Gryshnak
Contributing Member
 Gallery
3DS Max Bryce Poser Photoshop

Some episodes are good, some are not so good, but that applies to any series. My all time favourites have to be Dalek (S01), and Blink (the one with the weeping angels). Utterly brilliant, and Sally Sparrow would have made a much better companion than Donna (Catherine Tate is not as bad as I feared she would be, but still whines and bitches and is very annoying).

Gryshnak
Gryshnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Apr 2008, 07:43 PM   #60
konestudios
Registered Member
 Gallery
LightWave Photoshop After Effects Premiere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryshnak View Post
Some episodes are good, some are not so good, but that applies to any series. My all time favourites have to be Dalek (S01), and Blink (the one with the weeping angels). Utterly brilliant, and Sally Sparrow would have made a much better companion than Donna (Catherine Tate is not as bad as I feared she would be, but still whines and bitches and is very annoying).

Gryshnak
Yes, I am quite "bovvered" by bringing her back.

My favourite episode of the new series so far is The Empty Child/Doctor Dances two-parter.
konestudios is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Discussions & Support > The Cafe