Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Techniques, Instruction > References > Photo Corner
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 17th Apr 2014, 11:08 AM   #1
Starbase1
Registered Member

Gallery
Blender LightWave Modo Poser Terragen Vue Gimp Paint Shop Pro Photoshop

Default Techniques - Colour problem with skies...

I sometimes use a Canon Ixus 100 IS, it's small enough to always carry with me, and I find it nice and easy to use.

The only area it really disappoints is with skies - blue skies often turn into an unattractive cyan, looking unrealistic, particularly if there's a little haze... I'm not sure but it might also be worse when there's lots of greenery in the shot.

I attach a typical example, (by no means the worse).

I struggle to clean this sort of thing up, has anyone got any good tips for adjusting the colour? And any other ways I can address this without buying a whole new camera?

Cheers,
Nick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1924.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	780.0 KB
ID:	72015  

Starbase1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Apr 2014, 11:34 AM   #2
Meurig

Gallery
LightWave Maya Mudbox ZBrush Paint Shop Pro Photoshop Boujou Digital Fusion Shake Premiere

Lightroom can give you a fair bit of colour recovery even from JPGs. Theres only so far you can go with a handicam lens though.
Meurig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Apr 2014, 02:19 PM   #3
JackN

Gallery
LightWave Illustrator Photoshop After Effects Premiere

Can you get a circular polarizing filter for that camera?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polariz...photography%29
JackN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Apr 2014, 03:36 PM   #4
Starbase1
Registered Member

Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackN View Post
Can you get a circular polarizing filter for that camera?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polariz...photography%29
Well the camera is one with those really cool mechanisms that pop the lens out, and I don't think you can attach filters to them.... I keep a polariser on my DSLR all the time.

I can't help but think shifting cyan sky to something more like a darker blue should be easily achievable with a couple of Photoshop clicks though...

Old 17th Apr 2014, 04:27 PM   #5
Tenement 01
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop After Effects Premiere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbase1 View Post
Well the camera is one with those really cool mechanisms that pop the lens out, and I don't think you can attach filters to them.... I keep a polariser on my DSLR all the time.

I can't help but think shifting cyan sky to something more like a darker blue should be easily achievable with a couple of Photoshop clicks though...
You could use colour correction filters or colour variations in PS.
Tenement 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Apr 2014, 05:24 PM   #6
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery
3DS Max Illustrator Corel Paint Paint Shop Pro Photoshop After Effects Premiere

you can hold the CPL over the lens it is how I did it and still do as I am too cheap to have a ring machined out/ Most canons have a beauty ring that can be twisted out via a cam action and have an adapter mounted. Even those pocket cams. My TZ though needs a delrin sleeve fitted with a sep ring. Anyhow. It is the only real in camera adjustment likely short of exposing for the sky then later adjusting the ground.

You could do fake HDR and expose for the ground and then expose for sky and blend them later.

Only post you could do is colour separate the cyan out into a new layer then adjust that and have it set to various layer blends. I have done this a few times with others photos where I had only a low rez or near final rez image.

Reason this happens is not your camera but how a sensor sees, which oddly is not much different than film, maybe not so much IR as film. Basically the sensor sees things differently to your eyes.Reality is when it boils down is the sky is a hell of a lot brighter than the ground around you. Think of it as a large lightbulb or lamp shade. Now as a object or coloured item. Cameras are not as adaptive as the human eye nor does it have a brain fooling with the data lieing to you about how things really look. Your observation of hazy days it being worse is a good example of how it is more like a light source because the particles are causing more refraction (thin that is the right word) thus bouncing more light around creating more ambient light. It is why on cloudy days shadows are more diffuse and the UV warnings go off all over.

Generally I have to say you cam is doing well off if it is managing to process any blue. Depending where you are and the climate what you see in camera can be white when your eyes says deep blue.

So what I would do as I do not know your camera EXACTLY most full auto no manual units will let you press half way to lock exposure so set it to center weighted point up at the sky let ti choose some ridiculous exposure like 1/1200 or 1/2600 depends on where you are and weather. Frame your shot take it. This will be your sky plate. Then expose for the ground then shoot that. I often will find a medium bright area to pull auto ex off of.
I had to do this crap with my early gen1 digital (whopping 1024X768) because the ex in anything dimmer than a 12X12 room lit with 3 100w bulbs was near impossible. I always carried a sheet or square of white paper to focus lock and exposure lock onto.

If your cam has manual mode as some of the small high end units do all the better.

Another area you could step into is white balance. Where you will have to fool the camera by using coloured papers and setting the WB to that then shooting.
Old 17th Apr 2014, 05:28 PM   #7
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery
3DS Max Illustrator Corel Paint Paint Shop Pro Photoshop After Effects Premiere

Oh about the poloriser I have seen people buy small camcorder units 33mm or so and de-ring the glass then double stick the bugger to the face of the barrel. I dunno but I think a 100is has about a 22mm face on it so that might be a way to go to so you do not have to screw with a loose object. Drawback is you have to set the angle and fix it you wont be able to use it to adjust glare reflection etc on objects.
Old 18th Apr 2014, 03:41 AM   #8
Starbase1
Registered Member

Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenement 01 View Post
You could use colour correction filters or colour variations in PS.
Color variations I tried, I could not get anything I liked - it should be easy enoughh so maybe I was doing it wrongly?

Old 18th Apr 2014, 03:43 AM   #9
Starbase1
Registered Member

Gallery

Madkoifosh - it's an idea and would probably work for the filter, I'm less sure about forcing the exposure down...

Old 18th Apr 2014, 08:58 AM   #10
JackN

Gallery
LightWave Illustrator Photoshop After Effects Premiere

I use a Circular Polarizer and sometimes an Neutral Density filter as well.

Depends on the lighting of course, but man they help sometimes!

Sometimes with Photoshop you can't get good results, because a lot of it depends on the light you are dealt at time of exposure, in this case the polarized light, which once saved in an image as data, it is no longer it's own creature, but a sum of the whole image. If you can block it before it gets in the camera then you are ahead.

I'd try some experiments with temporarily rigging a CP filter in front of that unit and if you like what you get, then move to a more permanent hack.

But that's just me.
JackN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Apr 2014, 12:54 PM   #11
Starbase1
Registered Member

Gallery

Well, I took the plunge, and got my wife a Canon PowerShot SX280 HS.

It's nothing like as compact, but with it being from a later generation, with what I hope is decent HD video, and image stabilisation, I'm hoping for better results...

She doesn't have a DSLR (and is not interested in one). I'd still like to find something better that is still shirt pocket sized for myself at some point though...

Nick

PS - Should have said, I got us both one of the Ixus cameras. Well, first I got one for her, but I was so impressed with the results I then bought one for myself.

Old 19th Apr 2014, 06:48 AM   #12
BillS
Administrator

Gallery
LightWave Maya Modo Softimage XSI ZBrush Illustrator Corel Paint Photoshop

Since it doesn't look like it can shoot in raw format then setting the white balance will go a long way to helping avoid the wash out. If it will do EV stepping then you can put them together later with the sky from the -1 ev and 0 so you don't loose any range. You can use the +1 to bring out detail in the shadows.. Makes processing a pain sometimes but it can save that one special shot.
Bill. aka LemmingDude. aka Ethangar, Ethanger, Ethengar, Ethenger, Ethan, Eth, ehenger, etharger, Ethel, Ehtangar, Ethanfar, hanger, Eclangers, Ethand, ethang, hangar, Ethanol, Ethangix, Ethangod, Eggnog, Ethanprop........
Lemming World
BillS is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Techniques, Instruction > References > Photo Corner