Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Site & Community News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Content Author Desires
Do not share my content out side the F3D Content Manager without my permission. 13 68.42%
My content can be shared out side the F3D Content Manager with my permission. 1 5.26%
It doesn't matter to me. 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 4th Nov 2019, 07:34 PM   #1
bmckain
Wire Junkie

Gallery
Bryce LightWave Poser Vue Photoshop

Default Content Providers IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ

This is of utmost importance to all member who provide content on F3D.

Today I was made aware of someone who has downloaded the entire F3D Resources and is making them available elsewhere without our permission or yours.

As most of you know we redesigned this site to give the content providers more control over how their work was shared.

At the time many legendary modelers had stopped sharing their work because they had little control over how it was released. The Content Manager was a way to allow you that control.

That has been circumvented by someone taking the last two years to download and then redistribute the resources.

I have already notified the person in question and asked him to stop this activity.
I know he has not gained permission from anyone at this point.

I need you to answer the questions in the pole.
And of course you are free to post your thoughts and concerns to this thread.
How you reply will determine how far I take this.

Please contact others who have not been on in a while to weigh in. It's important.

Thank you.
Old 5th Nov 2019, 09:44 AM   #2
Starbase1
Registered Member

Gallery
Blender LightWave Modo Poser Terragen Vue Gimp Paint Shop Pro Photoshop

Where is it going?
Is it being sold? Given away?

Starbase1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Nov 2019, 01:30 PM   #3
david webster
Contributing Member
 Gallery
LightWave

What if he/she refuses ,
Is it game over ?
david webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Nov 2019, 01:40 PM   #4
bmckain
Wire Junkie

Gallery

@Starbase1

To this point I can't say he is selling it.
I also cannot rule it out

@David Webster
If you mean as in "nothing we can do"?
No, I can press it but how much good it would do it dependent on how many of you don't want it outside your control.

If it doesn't really matter to anyone then it would not be worth pursuing.
In which case each one would have to make demands on their own.
bmckain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Nov 2019, 02:38 PM   #5
Tony Gardner
Premiere Member

Gallery
LightWave Gimp

I saw someone on one of the Facebook 3d groups saying something about archiving the resources from F3D. I was busy at the time and meant to read it properly when I had time but completely forgot about it until I saw this post.

I don't have much content of my own hosted here, just some nurnies I think. I am not too fussed if they are shared so long as they remain both credited to me and free of charge. That said, I totally understand any content creators who don't want their stuff shared far and wide. I'll go along with whatever you guys choose to do.

BTW, it's nice to see some activity here again.
Old 5th Nov 2019, 06:28 PM   #6
David cgc
Premiere Member

Gallery
LightWave Maya Illustrator Photoshop After Effects Shake Premiere

I never really thought it was reasonable to get very precious about how materials released on-line were used, whether it be modifications, redistribution or even, honestly, credit-stealing (though I respect and abide by the wishes of those that are). Releasing something into the world by definition meant I'd be giving up control over it, and my motivations for putting my models for download here was to make it so they'd be available to more people, not fewer.

It's been a while, but I expect that next time I put a model up for download, I'll just do what Chris Kuhn does and explicitly declare it public domain just to make things easier for everyone (I don't feel obligated to babysit every poly and texture I sent out, and others don't have to go chasing after clearances and rights if they're doing more than noodling around). If I'm not comfortable with what someone might do with something I make, then the only solution is really not to put it up at all, since in the end, once it leaves my computer, it's all on the honor system.
David cgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Nov 2019, 07:12 PM   #7
bmckain
Wire Junkie

Gallery

It may well be that I leave it up to each of you but I feel it is worth asking.
It's more about community and how you choose.

A lot has changed in the netscape so I take nothing for granted.
Old 5th Nov 2019, 09:53 PM   #8
Professor Moriarty
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop After Effects Digital Fusion Premiere

FWIW I agree with David and also voted "doesn't matter". Heck, I never released my ancient Starship Constellation model, and yet ten years later I still find renders of it all over the place with my credit stripped out.

It's just the nature of the 'net that once it's in the wild it's gonna get swiped. If someone wants to yoink my work without credit, I've decided to take it as a backhanded compliment that at least someone thought it was good enough to steal
Old 6th Nov 2019, 03:02 AM   #9
mavek
Registered Member
 Gallery
Blender LightWave Gimp

I voted it doesn't matter as the one model I ever released I just wanted it to be used far and wide. I do ask for credit, but I can't enforce that, but the community sorta enforces that.

However it is a shame that no one releases models any more, or no where near like they used to.

In this world, now, once it is in the wild, it is very hard to get back control. Not releasing is the only control.

I suppose it does come back to the people who released their models with the best of intentions and now find the rules have been violated.
Old 6th Nov 2019, 11:29 AM   #10
GMD3D
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop

I went with the first. not getting credit was a minor issue though annoying, it's a simple enough request to fill. but distributing content from here is not good.
GMD3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Nov 2019, 09:46 PM   #11
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery
3DS Max Illustrator Corel Paint Paint Shop Pro Photoshop After Effects Premiere

It is just disrespectful, end of story. It is taking something that can provide the site with activity members and funding though premier as well as purchases through the store. It also divorces the items from the TOS and use parameters of the content.

I do not mind people using the stuff, it is the selling and profiteering that bothers me most. And likely this is what these will be used for the most. Yeah maybe a few will make some images animations with them.

Worse is some hobbiests might end up paying for them when they were free to begin with. Seen people selling dvds full of meshes or selling meshes stolen from places like trekmeshes on 3d model sales sites.
Old 7th Nov 2019, 03:42 PM   #12
bmckain
Wire Junkie

Gallery

I hope more of you will weigh in.

If you know those who gave up on me being away let them know about this and have them chime in. Really appreciate all the feedback on this one.
Old 12th Nov 2019, 04:43 PM   #13
darthviper107
Contributing Member

Gallery
3DS Max ZBrush Photoshop After Effects Premiere

As long as permissions are clearly stated. I've had a model from here being sold before and used in commercial stuff without permission, though I guess I could fight that.
Old 13th Nov 2019, 04:09 AM   #14
John Marchant
Registered Member

Gallery
Blender LightWave Terragen Vue Photoshop Premiere

I voted do not share but i do realise that the nature of the internet is such that once i make something public i have little control over it.
John Marchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Nov 2019, 02:14 PM   #15
bmckain
Wire Junkie

Gallery

Thank everyone.
So far the majority feel their work should not be shared the way this person has gone about it.

With that in mind I will pursue it further.

My ask will be that he does not share any model without that author's express written permission, be that electronic or other. That means if he has not contacted you to do that then he does not have permission. That way it is entirely up to each of you as to how you want to treat your own work and still protects the group as a whole.
Old 18th Nov 2019, 08:48 AM   #16
Rigel

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop

So where is this site?

------------------------------------------------------------
Other Projects

The Universal Joint
Beechcraft 2000 airplane
LadyBug (Firefly class freighter)
Rigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Nov 2019, 08:56 AM   #17
bmckain
Wire Junkie

Gallery

Hey Rigel, it's guy on a Facebook group. The group is 3D Sci Fi Renders.
The guy is David Bax.

I am doing this in private messaging so I really do not want to start a mass smear campaign of the group itself. I do however, want to let David know what your intentions are and that he is not free to interpret them as he see fit.

If that fails then I will encourage each of you to contact him directly and let him know.
Old 18th Nov 2019, 09:08 AM   #18
bmckain
Wire Junkie

Gallery

This is the message just sent.

David,

You have been pulling models off Foundation 3D and then disseminating them through your own means. This is in violation of the F3D EULA which you have to see and agree to for every model you download. The EULA was set in place for the protection of the 3D Modelers. Those same modelers chose to use the collective EULA and the Download manager of F3D because it gave them control over how their work was released. By circumventing this you are directly ignoring their wishes regarding their work, which you do not own.

I have run a sample poll on F3D since your post on 3D Sci Fi Renders telling people they can get the models through you. They have overwhelmingly expressed the do not want models released by you outside of F3D. I felt it was important to allow them to have their own voice for the very important reason they should have the only say over how their work is released and where.

The decision is that you do not have permission to release any work from F3D without the express written permission of the mesh author.

They, we do hope you will honor their decision and boundaries regarding their work.
Please advise your intentions at this point.

Thank you and regards,
Bob McKain
Foundation 3D
Old 18th Nov 2019, 02:13 PM   #19
bmckain
Wire Junkie

Gallery

I just received a reply from David.

He has pulled all of the models and will honor the wishes of the majority.
Thank you all for weighing in and providing me with your comments and guidance.
Old 18th Nov 2019, 06:01 PM   #20
MayaMan
Registered Member

Gallery
Cinema 4D Houdini LightWave Maya Motion Builder Mudbox ZBrush Gimp Illustrator Paint Shop Pro Photoshop Boujou After Effects Shake Premiere

Just heard about this thread so thought I'd just drop my 2p worth. Frankly its been so long since I posted anything I figure it doesn't really matter any more. I've seen my Nostromo and Narcissus used uncredited from my Lightwave7871 username days. I've seen them mainly on Deviant Art and by some Starship podcast youtube video (with inverted / overlapping poly errors and missing cockpit texture on the Nostromo and everything). Though the annoying thing with that was some guy who worked on Alien with Martin Bower was picking the ship model apart like it had been commercially released or something... Hey ho...

To be honest those models are so janky and old I don't really mind or care. The credit thing bugs me (especially on Deviant Art where someone clearly was taking credit for it but when I pulled them up publicly I was informed by a number of commentators that the poster had passed away years ago...#Awkward) but I figure once its released online for free thats pretty much it...

Anyway have a good one...
MayaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Nov 2019, 07:24 AM   #21
bmckain
Wire Junkie

Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayaMan View Post
Just heard about this thread so thought I'd just drop my 2p worth. Frankly its been so long since I posted anything I figure it doesn't really matter any more. I've seen my Nostromo and Narcissus used uncredited from my Lightwave7871 username days. I've seen them mainly on Deviant Art and by some Starship podcast youtube video (with inverted / overlapping poly errors and missing cockpit texture on the Nostromo and everything). Though the annoying thing with that was some guy who worked on Alien with Martin Bower was picking the ship model apart like it had been commercially released or something... Hey ho...

To be honest those models are so janky and old I don't really mind or care. The credit thing bugs me (especially on Deviant Art where someone clearly was taking credit for it but when I pulled them up publicly I was informed by a number of commentators that the poster had passed away years ago...#Awkward) but I figure once its released online for free thats pretty much it...

Anyway have a good one...
Wow, the sucky part of this is not being invited to your own funeral. Just teasing of course, but sheesh.

I think all of us have horror stories about our work. It's tough to stay on top of it though this is the first time I've heard of the actual author being told he was deceased.
Old 19th Nov 2019, 03:11 PM   #22
MayaMan
Registered Member

Gallery
Cinema 4D Houdini LightWave Maya Motion Builder Mudbox ZBrush Gimp Illustrator Paint Shop Pro Photoshop Boujou After Effects Shake Premiere

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmckain View Post
Wow, the sucky part of this is not being invited to your own funeral. Just teasing of course, but sheesh.

I think all of us have horror stories about our work. It's tough to stay on top of it though this is the first time I've heard of the actual author being told he was deceased.
For what its worth I got better...

It was an unusual moment to find out from my parents I had been adopted from a Gallifreyan orphanage
MayaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Nov 2019, 07:35 AM   #23
Rigel

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop

That went well. Many cases like this don't.
Rigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Nov 2019, 08:52 AM   #24
ronaldheld
Contributing Member
 Gallery
LightWave

Sorry for being so late to respond. It appears that this problem is resolved satisfying this community. How can massive downloads be stopped in the future?
ronaldheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Nov 2019, 06:36 PM   #25
lonewriter
Registered Member

Gallery
3DS Max Blender Bryce LightWave Terragen Vue Illustrator Photoshop

I don't have any recourses but I can offer my opinion, if my model was being sold on another site without my permission, I'd be very angry. I think you should complain to the host site. I'd also ban him from this site. I also think you should let other 3D sites know.
lonewriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Nov 2019, 03:06 PM   #26
bmckain
Wire Junkie

Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldheld View Post
Sorry for being so late to respond. It appears that this problem is resolved satisfying this community. How can massive downloads be stopped in the future?
He downloaded them over time, one at a time.
So the system itself was not compromised.
Old 22nd Nov 2019, 03:10 PM   #27
bmckain
Wire Junkie

Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewriter View Post
I don't have any recourses but I can offer my opinion, if my model was being sold on another site without my permission, I'd be very angry. I think you should complain to the host site. I'd also ban him from this site. I also think you should let other 3D sites know.
I tried locating him on the FB group and he is no longer on it.
At least a few have already been alerted.

Not sure if he did this with other sites, he was openly promoting the models he got from us and that is how Greg Charest caught him.
Old 23rd Nov 2019, 05:54 AM   #28
ronaldheld
Contributing Member
 Gallery
LightWave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmckain View Post
He downloaded them over time, one at a time.
So the system itself was not compromised.
I see. I do not appreciate my work be used with a. acknowledgement.
Maybe need 3D sites to collectively agree to not allow this to happen in the future?
ronaldheld is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Site & Community News