Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Creative Works > Works in Progress
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Works in Progress Critique works in progress, 2D 3D and animations

Old 22nd Aug 2011, 01:46 PM   #121
fluxfire
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave

Great work on this ship.... I say the larger engines fill it out better and would give a better overall feel to the size....
fluxfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Aug 2011, 03:01 PM   #122
Treybor
Asylum Inmate

Gallery
LightWave Poser ZBrush Photoshop Premiere

I like the bigger engines as well...
http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=1281

SubPatch Modeling Tutorial (Nudity Warning)
http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=3445
Treybor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Aug 2011, 08:47 PM   #123
isoeph
Registered Member

Gallery
3DS Max Illustrator Photoshop

Wow, this looks very well done! Interesting to see a unique take on the design. You made me go looking for my old "HD" Omega I did a few years ago...sadly I seem to have lost it. *shrug*

Looking forward to the finished product Tony!

BTW, I know this is a nit pick of someone that has spent far too much time looking at reference from the show back in the day, but the 2 big Tubes you called the Main Guns under the Hanger Bay were never listed as weapons or ever used in the show...I always like to think of them as a possible heat exchange system for the Omega's Recators since they lack the heatsink fins of the space stations, but to each his own. I love the detail on them regardless of their intended purpose!

Edit: Don't mind the post count of 1...been a long time since I visited the site and discovered I had to re-register!
Old 23rd Aug 2011, 12:01 PM   #124
Tony Gardner
Premiere Member

Gallery
LightWave Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by isoeph View Post
Wow, this looks very well done! Interesting to see a unique take on the design. You made me go looking for my old "HD" Omega I did a few years ago...sadly I seem to have lost it. *shrug*

Looking forward to the finished product Tony!...
Hi isoeph and thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isoeph View Post
...BTW, I know this is a nit pick of someone that has spent far too much time looking at reference from the show back in the day, but the 2 big Tubes you called the Main Guns under the Hanger Bay were never listed as weapons or ever used in the show...I always like to think of them as a possible heat exchange system for the Omega's Recators since they lack the heatsink fins of the space stations, but to each his own. I love the detail on them regardless of their intended purpose!

Edit: Don't mind the post count of 1...been a long time since I visited the site and discovered I had to re-register!
Not a problem, I don't mind nit picking, but to answer (and even expand on) your nit pick...

I've modelled the two big tubes as weapons because of a comment I read on the Wikipedia entry for this ship
...which states...

Quote:
There are two cannons beneath the forward-facing fighter recover bay.

"The turrets on each forward cheek were just there to get your attention, they were the 'light' weapons. . . . . . . the dual Big Ass Cannons under the ships return bay that were supposed to launch gigaton class mines – yes those things were there for a reason." — Paul Bryant, Source: B5Scrolls (2008)
I must confess when watching the show I always thought of them as some sort of breaking thrusters, but after seeing this comment I kinda fell in love with the idea of these huge, kick ass weapons on the front of the thing.

Similarly I always thought of the little door things on each side as escape pod launch tubes (I don't know why I did, but I do know I wasn't alone in that assumption) but the wiki article went on to say...

Quote:
The 72 red hatches that can be seen along its hull were missile compartments.

" The detail was designed for a 19th century broadside effect. You know, camera scraping down the side of the Aggie as all the hatches open sequentially just like every swashbuckling movie you've ever seen. Then open to a wide shot as the entire ship's side erupts in flame and missiles." — Paul Bryant, Source: B5Scrolls (2008)
Which just sounds like an awesome shot to me, pity they didn't do it for the show.

Finally the show only ever showed (to my knowledge) fighters being launched from the tube at the front but the wiki article had this to say...

Quote:
"On the centrifuge, if you look closely in some shots, you can see sealed Starfury launch bays. I wrote a whole tactical description of how Starfury flights were deployed in battle. If the launch was defensive then as the centrifuge rotated the 'Furies' were deployed evenly around the ship by releasing them at regular intervals. If it was an attack then they were released at a specific degree of rotation closest relative to the target" — Paul Bryant, Source: B5Scrolls (2008)
Lets face it, that just sounds cool doesn't it? much more visually striking than just flying out of the front.

Now I'm not saying wiki is any more correct than any other source (it frequently isn't) but those three comments kinda shaped my design decisions for this build for no reason other than that I thought they all sounded cool and that I hope to be able to animate all three when I've got this thing finished.
Old 23rd Aug 2011, 12:02 PM   #125
Tony Gardner
Premiere Member

Gallery
LightWave Gimp

Oh and thanks for the comments about the engine sizes guys, I've slept on it and decided to stick with the bigger ones.
Old 5th Sep 2011, 07:08 AM   #126
Tony Gardner
Premiere Member

Gallery
LightWave Gimp

I'm off work sick today so I thought I'd make use of the time working on this, after all that deadline is getting closer.

Here's where I'm picking it up again...

Click image for larger version

Name:	395.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	424.3 KB
ID:	51778 Click image for larger version

Name:	397.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	303.0 KB
ID:	51779 Click image for larger version

Name:	398.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	373.1 KB
ID:	51780

Name:	394.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	51781 Click image for larger version

Name:	396.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	866.9 KB
ID:	51782

Changes since last time... well not much really, I've moved the aft turrets to their final positions between the engines and then added some maneuvering thrusters where the original design had the rear firing weapons.

Today I'm going to concentrate on the thing between the upper and lower engines.
Old 5th Sep 2011, 08:35 AM   #127
Rigel

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop

The detail on the engine design is elegant. However, I think the bump map on the blue part is overdone.

------------------------------------------------------------
Other Projects

The Universal Joint
Beechcraft 2000 airplane
LadyBug (Firefly class freighter)
Rigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Sep 2011, 08:47 AM   #128
Tony Gardner
Premiere Member

Gallery
LightWave Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigel View Post
The detail on the engine design is elegant. However, I think the bump map on the blue part is overdone.
Thanks Rigel, and yeah you're right the bump on the blue bits is way too strong, I keep meaning to turn it down and forgetting. It doesn't animate well either as you can see in this youtube vid I did a couple of weeks ago...

I'll have a tinker with the settings, see what I can do.
Old 5th Sep 2011, 09:17 AM   #129
Starbase1
Registered Member

Gallery
Blender LightWave Modo Poser Terragen Vue Gimp Paint Shop Pro Photoshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Gardner View Post
Thanks Rigel, and yeah you're right the bump on the blue bits is way too strong, I keep meaning to turn it down and forgetting. It doesn't animate well either as you can see in this youtube vid I did a couple of weeks ago...

I'll have a tinker with the settings, see what I can do.
Just a thought Tony, but are you familiar with Denis Pontier's additional free nodes for LW?

There's a really neat 'bump to normal' which does wonders in terms of improving the look of bumps.

Starbase1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Sep 2011, 10:05 AM   #130
GrahamTG
Registered Member

Gallery
Cinema 4D LightWave Terragen Vue Gimp Photoshop

Gorgeous work Tony.
Old 17th Sep 2011, 06:09 AM   #131
Tony Gardner
Premiere Member

Gallery
LightWave Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbase1 View Post
Just a thought Tony, but are you familiar with Denis Pontier's additional free nodes for LW?

There's a really neat 'bump to normal' which does wonders in terms of improving the look of bumps.
I've adjusted the surfaces a little but I want to concentrate on modeling for a bit so I'll probably leave finalising the surfacing until the modeling is more complete. I'll check out that node though, thanks Nick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernik View Post
Gorgeous work Tony.
Thanks mate.

Probably a little bit too 'Battlestar Galactica like' but panels and ribs along the 'spine' of the ship...

Name:	430.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	931.9 KB
ID:	52114 Click image for larger version

Name:	428.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	52112 Click image for larger version

Name:	427.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	988.2 KB
ID:	52111

Name:	426.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	52110 Click image for larger version

Name:	425.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	935.3 KB
ID:	52109

(I do so love panels and ribs )

And some more work on the front...

Name:	429.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	52113

Damn, I can feel that deadline watching me, getting ready to pounce
Old 17th Sep 2011, 07:59 AM   #132
bmckain
Wire Junkie

Gallery
Bryce LightWave Poser Vue Photoshop

Good progress, hope you make it in time.
Old 18th Sep 2011, 08:27 AM   #133
Oldcode
Contributing Member

Gallery
LightWave Poser Photoshop After Effects Premiere

Talking

Awesome looking Omega! Nice work Tony.

“Then forever remind him of his vow, Knight of the Old Code.”
Oldcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Sep 2011, 03:49 PM   #134
Treybor
Asylum Inmate

Gallery
LightWave Poser ZBrush Photoshop Premiere

Chugging right along there. Looking good.
http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=1281

SubPatch Modeling Tutorial (Nudity Warning)
http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=3445
Treybor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Sep 2011, 04:57 PM   #135
Phoenix
Contributing Member

Gallery
3DS Max Illustrator Photoshop Combustion After Effects

That looks great, man. Truly does.
Old 19th Sep 2011, 05:15 AM   #136
Tony Gardner
Premiere Member

Gallery
LightWave Gimp

Thanks folks...

Now featuring animatable opening and closing missile tube doors...

Name:	442.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	551.1 KB
ID:	52174 Click image for larger version

Name:	441.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	551.5 KB
ID:	52175 Click image for larger version

Name:	440.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	52176
Old 19th Sep 2011, 05:38 AM   #137
Starbase1
Registered Member

Gallery

Quite possibly your finest work to date!

Old 19th Sep 2011, 06:51 AM   #138
Meurig

Gallery
LightWave Maya Mudbox ZBrush Paint Shop Pro Photoshop Boujou Digital Fusion Shake Premiere

So you went with missiles rather than escape pods.

My only problem with having missiles in there is ammo space, those launch tubes are enormous and unlike pulse guns the ammo would need to be stored internally. The Omega would have enough for a couple of uber barrages of hundreds of missiles but it'd be more or less a one or two shot weapon, once those initial missiles are launched that's it. Either that or the entire internal space of this thing is full of missiles. It'd also mean if there were any kind of breach along pretty much the whole of the ship, if one unlaunched missile were to detonate it'd blow the entire ship up in a chain reaction.

They look very cool though, this is just asking for an anim of them deploying sequentually like a little wave along the length of the ship.

Oh - and sticking tonnes of cylindrical bits in the detailed areas - great move They always look so much more detail-y than cubes!
Meurig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2011, 07:51 AM   #139
Tony Gardner
Premiere Member

Gallery
LightWave Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbase1 View Post
Quite possibly your finest work to date!
Thanks Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meurig View Post
So you went with missiles rather than escape pods...
Yeah, I really want to see one of these things deliver a broadside with those missiles.

Quote:
...My only problem with having missiles in there is ammo space, those launch tubes are enormous and unlike pulse guns the ammo would need to be stored internally. The Omega would have enough for a couple of uber barrages of hundreds of missiles but it'd be more or less a one or two shot weapon, once those initial missiles are launched that's it. Either that or the entire internal space of this thing is full of missiles...
The actual tubes themselves have a diameter of 7.5 meters which I reckon is enough to hold 2 - 3 good sized missiles, but yeah as a weapon system it is a one or two shot kind of deal, once they're gone they're gone.

Quote:
...It'd also mean if there were any kind of breach along pretty much the whole of the ship, if one unlaunched missile were to detonate it'd blow the entire ship up in a chain reaction...
Uh, yeah, well I thought about that and er, yeah, the pods themselves are, er, made of Unobtanium, and are fitted with Handwavium shields to prevent just such a thing... (Although, wouldn't that look cool animated?)

Quote:
...They look very cool though, this is just asking for an anim of them deploying sequentually like a little wave along the length of the ship...
Like I said, big broadside, gonna look awesome (if I can just figure out how the hell to do it )

Quote:
...Oh - and sticking tonnes of cylindrical bits in the detailed areas - great move They always look so much more detail-y than cubes!
LOL, Thanks Rhys, 'detail-y' put a smile on my face. Actually I'm not that happy with the detailed bits, if I get time before the deadline I may take another pass at them.

Anyhoo... Here's a quick preview vid of the doors opening...

And here's the start of the bearings for the rotator, the little things in the indents spin with the rotator.

Name:	446.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	52177
Old 19th Sep 2011, 08:19 AM   #140
Starbase1
Registered Member

Gallery

Quote:
My only problem with having missiles in there is ammo space, those launch tubes are enormous and unlike pulse guns the ammo would need to be stored internally. The Omega would have enough for a couple of uber barrages of hundreds of missiles but it'd be more or less a one or two shot weapon, once those initial missiles are launched that's it. Either that or the entire internal space of this thing is full of missiles. It'd also mean if there were any kind of breach along pretty much the whole of the ship, if one unlaunched missile were to detonate it'd blow the entire ship up in a chain reaction.
I don't think chain reactions are likely with a sensible weapons system, unless its anti matter based. (In which case your missiles might be too small to see clearly until they are within a few feet!)

It's easy to forget the sheer effectiveness of momentum based weapons, as in the B5 universe - think of the bombardment of Narn. A 1kg object hitting at 2 km per second is like 1 kg of TNT explofding. And 2 km / sec is SLOW by orbital standards - we have several current probes at 10 times this speed, and something as simple as a meteor can hit the atmosphere at more than 90 km / second.

A real handy weapon would be an electromagnetic blunderbus, and you just need scrap ferous metal shrapnel for ammo, and have a nice big round set of electromagnets to fire it out at high speeds, they might even look a lot like torpedo tubes!

Nick

Old 19th Sep 2011, 08:34 AM   #141
Tony Gardner
Premiere Member

Gallery
LightWave Gimp

"electromagnetic blunderbus"... Sounds fun, I wonder if I can shoe horn one on there somewhere

This is what I was talking about the bearings and their little 'spinny' things...

Old 19th Sep 2011, 09:06 AM   #142
Starbase1
Registered Member

Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Gardner View Post
"electromagnetic blunderbus"... Sounds fun, I wonder if I can shoe horn one on there somewhere
Think of it as a wide field mass driver / rail gun if that helps!

Old 19th Sep 2011, 09:28 AM   #143
Rigel

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop

I like the spinney things on the rotator. It makes it look like it's running along a set of wheels.

Other Projects

The Universal Joint
Beechcraft 2000 airplane
Old 28th Sep 2011, 11:38 AM   #144
Tony Gardner
Premiere Member

Gallery
LightWave Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigel View Post
I like the spinney things on the rotator. It makes it look like it's running along a set of wheels.
Thanks Rigel, yeah that's what I was aiming for.

OK so first evening back on my new PC (I blew the power block a few days ago and have had to wait for a replacement) this is where I'm at now, let's see how much I can get done today...

Name:	455.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	954.1 KB
ID:	52392 Click image for larger version

Name:	456.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	52393 Click image for larger version

Name:	457.jpg
Size:	967.4 KB
ID:	52394

Name:	458.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	52395

BTW, I'm obviously dropping out of the competition as the deadline is now in the process of whizzing by, pity but there we go. To be honest there are a number of things on the model that I rushed for the comp that I'll probably go back and do over now so if anything it's a good thing.
Old 28th Sep 2011, 05:34 PM   #145
Rigel

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop

Even if you don't get this finished for the 30th, you should submit it anyway. It's beautiful even though it's incomplete.

Other Projects

The Universal Joint
Beechcraft 2000 airplane
Old 28th Sep 2011, 06:43 PM   #146
bmckain
Wire Junkie

Gallery
Bryce LightWave Poser Vue Photoshop

I agree with Rigel, do the best you can and go for it. Won't keep you from continuing your work.
Old 17th Oct 2011, 05:22 PM   #147
Tony Gardner
Premiere Member

Gallery
LightWave Gimp

Thanks guys...

Progress on this thing has slowed right down I'm afraid, I'm really struggling to get back into it. That said I've done a little bit more...

Name:	470.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	52839 Click image for larger version

Name:	471.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	52840 Click image for larger version

Name:	475.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	52841

Name:	476.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	914.1 KB
ID:	52842 Click image for larger version

Name:	479.jpg
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	52843 Click image for larger version

Name:	480.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	944.0 KB
ID:	52844

At the moment the smaller turrets are just shrunken versions of the bigger ones, I'm not sure if I'll build new ones or leave as is. I do quite like how they look.
Old 17th Oct 2011, 06:13 PM   #148
JimCrafton
Registered Member
 Gallery
Houdini Maya Modo Vue ZBrush Photoshop After Effects

Smokin! Looking really cool!
Old 17th Oct 2011, 06:26 PM   #149
Rigel

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop

That is one bad-ass looking ship. Nice work on this.

Other Projects

The Universal Joint
Beechcraft 2000 airplane
Old 18th Oct 2011, 01:22 AM   #150
Starbase1
Registered Member

Gallery

Wow! The shot of the turret in the second image really shows off an impressive level of detail!

Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Creative Works > Works in Progress