Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Site & Community News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 4th Oct 2011, 08:48 AM   #1
Next Limit
Registered Member
 Gallery
3DS Max Cinema 4D Houdini LightWave Maya Rhino

Post News - RealFlow 2012 Learning Edition: Now with fewer restrictions!

Experience the FULL power of RealFlow at a fraction of the cost!

We take our customer requirements very seriously and therefore, in response to their feedback, we have made the following amendments to the RealFlow 2012 Learning Edition:

UNLIMITED particle count
UNLIMITED grid domain resolution
PERMANENT - licenses are not time-restricted
FREE support & maintenance for one year

This means you can now experience the FULL power of RealFlow 2012 at a fraction of the cost.

For more information: http://www.realflow.com/rf_licensing_learning_ed.php

Purchase here: https://portal.nextlimit.com/index.php/ … home/guest
Next Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Oct 2011, 09:30 AM   #2
Bells of Freedom
Registered Member
 Gallery
3DS Max Blender Houdini LightWave Maya Modo Vue Gimp Photoshop

I would LOVE to have a personal learning edition of RF as I hear there is quite a demand for RF artists in studios. How come the demo costs money? Other software of comparable price have free trial editions. Is that something that might change in the future?

". . . the price of success is dedication, hard work, and an unremitting devotion to the things you want to see happen."
- Frank Lloyd Wright

Whatever "goes wrong" will teach us.
Bells of Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Oct 2011, 11:52 AM   #3
BillS
Administrator

Gallery
LightWave Maya Modo Softimage XSI ZBrush Illustrator Corel Paint Photoshop

umm same here. I wouldn't mind a look at a time limited trial or a usage cap etc. But I'm not sure that I would pay for a look at it when I can learn blender for free or use lagoa in XSI for the limited amount of use I would have for it. Not that they are likely upto the standards of RF. But for me they work.
Bill. aka LemmingDude. aka Ethangar, Ethanger, Ethengar, Ethenger, Ethan, Eth, ehenger, etharger, Ethel, Ehtangar, Ethanfar, hanger, Eclangers, Ethand, ethang, hangar, Ethanol, Ethangix, Ethangod, Eggnog, Ethanprop........
Lemming World
BillS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Oct 2011, 12:04 PM   #4
Tony Gardner
Premiere Member

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop After Effects

According to their site the demo is free, you just have to register for the download link
Old 4th Oct 2011, 12:37 PM   #5
Bells of Freedom
Registered Member
 Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Gardner View Post
According to their site the demo is free, you just have to register for the download link
Yeah, it looks like there's a difference between the demo and learning editions.
Old 4th Oct 2011, 01:08 PM   #6
Woody
Administrator

Gallery
LightWave Maya Modo Mudbox ZBrush Illustrator Corel Draw Corel Paint Photoshop Boujou After Effects Premiere

It looks like they've done away with the active student ID requirement and have opened up educational pricing to all comers who have a learning agenda.Thanks Next Limit!
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Oct 2011, 02:14 PM   #7
Bells of Freedom
Registered Member
 Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
It looks like they've done away with the active student ID requirement and have opened up educational pricing to all comers who have a learning agenda.Thanks Next Limit!
Ah, you're right. I hadn't seen it like that. That's pretty cool!
Old 11th Oct 2011, 11:02 AM   #8
Oldcode
Contributing Member

Gallery
LightWave Poser Photoshop After Effects Premiere

Lightbulb

I just downloaded the demo and it is so restricted, I can't tell if it will do what I want it to do.

Every time I try to import an OBJ or other object, it crashes! I contacted them about it and they said it was one of the restrictions of the demo.

Kind of hard to figure out it the fluid dynamics will work with my objects if I can't import them in.

I'm going to do a little more research to see if it will do what I want. Else, I'm not spending 250 just to find out it won't.

“Then forever remind him of his vow, Knight of the Old Code.”
Oldcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Oct 2011, 07:14 PM   #9
Oldcode
Contributing Member

Gallery

Lightbulb

Hey Guys,

I asked Next Limit about the restrictions of the demo and they were nice enough to give me a two week trial. It's fully functional, but the license will only last 15 days. I've been playing with it and it's been mixed results.

The good news is it lets me do something I was not sure it would let me do. I was able to create a scene in Poser Pro, import it into Lightwave, from there export it to a SD file which I imported into Real Flow. I do a lot of work in Poser and wanted to be able to use Real Flow to do things like people swimming.

The bad news is I have not as yet been able to figure out how to re-import the fluid mesh into Lightwave. There are other things I'm having problem with that is partly the result that the PDF User's Manual is not very helpful. It's a very complicated program with many functions and it not intuitive at all in some places.

I'm going to keep fiddling with it. I've got 9 days left on my trail and if I can get it to do what I want to do, it's well worth the price.

Later,
Old 25th Oct 2011, 08:14 PM   #10
BillS
Administrator

Gallery

If memory serves and if it hasn't changed... Its been a while.... You saved out a mesh sequence and imported the sequence back into LW.
Old 26th Oct 2011, 06:36 AM   #11
Oldcode
Contributing Member

Gallery

Lightbulb

Yeah Bill,

That's basically how it supposed to work. When you run the simulation, it creats the motion for the particles then creates a mesh based on those particles. The Next Limit Plugin for Lightwave seems straight forward enough and gives you 3 (I think 3, I'm at work now and don't have my computer in front of me) methods importing the mesh back into Lightwave, but so far it has not worked.

It's very possible I'm missing something small and simple. When I first imported a poser scene, a simple walk cycle that lasted 120 frames, at first the mesh of the poser figure was frozen in the position of frame 1. I found out via tech support there was a very small, VERY UNOVIOUS setting I had to swtich to have the animation import correctly.

So, it's probably just a matter of time and more fiddling before I can get it into Lightwave and see how well it will suit my needs.

I hope it works. From what I've seen, this thing is incredible! Combinded with Lightwave and something like Vue xtream, the possibilities are endless!

Later,
Old 26th Oct 2011, 05:33 PM   #12
BillS
Administrator

Gallery

Have you seen this?

http://thevault.realflow.com/tutoria...nnectivity.pdf
Old 27th Oct 2011, 06:53 AM   #13
Oldcode
Contributing Member

Gallery

Thanks Bill,

Yes, I do have this. It has helped, but is not what I call comprehensive. It talked about the setting I mentioned above, but did not say what it did or why I'd want to set it this way or that.
Old 31st Oct 2011, 12:13 PM   #14
Oldcode
Contributing Member

Gallery

Lightbulb

Hey Guys,

Well, I've got about 4 days left on my demo and I've made some progress. I still have not been able to import the Real Flow geometry into Lightwave yet, but I've not really been working on that.

I've been focusing on the fluid particle poser figure inteaction problem, and I think I've got it fixed!

When you import something into Realflow, there is a grid in the work area. Unlike the grid in Lightwave and other programs, this grid is fixed in scale. Each square on the grid equals 1 meter. When you do anything in Realflow, you have to keep scale in mind. If the geomerty you are working with is too big or too small in scale, it will cause problems.

I was trying to import the Victoria 4 and Micheal 4 poser figures into Realflow. The problem is since they are both very highly detailed model with large polygon counts, the polygons on the figure turn out to be very small. So small in fact, the particles do not bounce off of them. When you import a poser figure, the scale of the geometry is set to a defult of 1. No until I scaled the geometry up by a factor of 5, (making the poser people 5 times bigger and taller) did the particles beging to react in a meaning full way, else, the particles simply pass through the geometry.

The downside to this is the bigger you make the geometry, the more particles you need to fill an area with a simulated fluid, which slows things down.

Bottom line is it works. You can now use Poser and Lightwave together! What I'm going to do is try to make a small demo movie, and then maybe do a video tutorial on how this whole process works.
Old 31st Oct 2011, 01:37 PM   #15
3D_CG
Contributing Member

Gallery
3DS Max Blender LightWave Terragen ZBrush Gimp Paint Shop Pro Photoshop Digital Fusion Premiere

Location: Spokane Washington, North Side in a quiet neighbor hood, Tell I start My Harley, Then its NOISY...

So how does the pricing work..

is that price for a year or ???

http://www.realflow.com/2012/t_learning.php

what does the learning addition really give u ???

whats a node license???

Quote:
[Node license
Non-GUI license for adding additional node machines for simulation. Floating, per-machine, not CPU-restricted. At least one Standard license is required before customers can purchase Node licenses.]
??

Mike

"Remember The Vets who fought for our Freedom" ...
Intel I7 980 OC'D to 5.1 GHZ, Water Cooled, Gigabyte MB
132 gig ram, 5 HD's, TITAN Z Black , GTX 1080,
LightWave 11.6.3, 32 and 64 bit

http://boincstats.com/signature/-1/user/355618/sig.png
3D_CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Oct 2011, 03:11 PM   #16
Oldcode
Contributing Member

Gallery

Lightbulb

A node is bascially another computer or corp in your CPU that let you do multithreaded proccessing. I think you get your first computer for free. But if you want to add more computers for netwoked processing, you'll have to buy more nodes.

As far as I know, the price is $245.00 US for a permenent licence. The page that you link to shows the limitations, which I can live with.
  • For personal use only
  • RFRK not included
  • XML import/export locked
  • No -nogui option or node compatibility
  • Scenes created with Learning Edition cannot be loaded into other versions
I think RFRK is a render engine that you can use instead of the render engine from Lightwave or Max, or whatever. XML is another import/export format that is supposed to be more universal than other out there.

No idea what -nogui option mean or node compatibility means.

If you create a scene in Real Flow, and know somebody has a full professional copy (costing about $4000.00), they can''t import your scene file nor can you import theirs. It's a way to force you to buy the full version so pros don't try to skip out by jest getting the LE.

Hope this helps,
Old 1st Nov 2011, 10:24 AM   #17
3D_CG
Contributing Member

Gallery
3DS Max Blender LightWave Terragen ZBrush Gimp Paint Shop Pro Photoshop Digital Fusion Premiere

Location: Spokane Washington, North Side in a quiet neighbor hood, Tell I start My Harley, Then its NOISY...

yes that helps
so the LE u can do every thing on your personal computer,

ok
hmm price sounds good...
3D_CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Nov 2011, 03:11 PM   #18
JimCrafton
Registered Member
 Gallery
Houdini Maya Modo Vue ZBrush Photoshop After Effects

Just curious, how does this compare to Houdini? Given that this is an area that Houdini is supposed to specialize in?
Old 1st Nov 2011, 07:10 PM   #19
Oldcode
Contributing Member

Gallery

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCrafton View Post
Just curious, how does this compare to Houdini? Given that this is an area that Houdini is supposed to specialize in?
I've never heard of Houdini, so I can't say. Anybody?
Old 1st Nov 2011, 07:37 PM   #20
JimCrafton
Registered Member
 Gallery

Sorry, my mistake - I assumed!
http://www.sidefx.com/
It can do a lot of things, but it's specialty is rendering and vfx, particularly dynamics/simulations.
JimCrafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Nov 2011, 10:13 PM   #21
Oldcode
Contributing Member

Gallery

Lightbulb

Hey guys,

Just to let you know, I've bitten the bullet and have just bought Real Flow LE. They were not kidding about the restrictions on loading other versions. All the test files I did during my two week demo to learn how to use the thing, will not load into the LE edition.

Not a real big deal. They were just files to fool around and see how it works, but I've lost the setting of certain parameters that make the thing do what I wanted it to do. I'll have to try to remember and figure those out again.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to combining Real Flow with Poser Pro and Lightwave, and maybe even Vue.

We'll see.
Old 4th Nov 2011, 04:01 AM   #22
BillS
Administrator

Gallery

And we look forward to seeing them
Old 5th Nov 2011, 07:45 PM   #23
Oldcode
Contributing Member

Gallery

Hey,

I just read in the documentation that Houdini is one of the programs that Real Flow is compatible with. As with the others, they give you a plug in to be able import and export to and from Real Flow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCrafton View Post
Old 5th Nov 2011, 10:01 PM   #24
JimCrafton
Registered Member
 Gallery

What do you use for interchange between the two programs? FBX? You can't share simulation data files can you? That would be pretty cool if possible.
JimCrafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Nov 2011, 01:55 AM   #25
Oldcode
Contributing Member

Gallery

I don't know about Houdini, but for Lightwave, Real Flow comes with a series of plugins that you install into Lightwvave that allow you to exchage geometry and animation data between the two. This allows you to bring Lightwave objects and animation into Real Flow where you can do the fluid dynmaics, then import the fluid into your Lightwave scene where you render.

Hope this helps.

Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Site & Community News