Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Site & Community News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 21st Feb 2008, 10:47 PM   #31
Bells of Freedom
Registered Member
 Gallery
3DS Max Blender Houdini LightWave Maya Modo Vue Gimp Photoshop

Yay!! 9.5 is coming!! Holy Amazing, Batman!!

". . . the price of success is dedication, hard work, and an unremitting devotion to the things you want to see happen."
- Frank Lloyd Wright

Whatever "goes wrong" will teach us.
Bells of Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Feb 2008, 12:47 AM   #32
Maph
Contributing Member
 Gallery
Houdini LightWave Modo Mudbox Softimage XSI Photoshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorjo View Post
Must agree the the bone system was (braindead) but I consider that a plus point, It left it down to the user to set it up properly rather than using some kinda dumbed down half baked AI system trying to second guess the reqirements. Too many felxable / quality tools are ruined in attempts at making them user friendly, often to the point of reducing them to little more than multiple choice tick boxes.

The existing system is exceptionally versitle and easy to work with, (It's logical like just about everything else in LW ) I whould hate to see that become compromised through attempts at turning it into some kinda instant "bones for 3d dummies"

So far Newtek has been pretty good at ignoring the yelps of those who cry for easier like DIY and have focused instead on making the tools more efficent and powerfull for craftsmen who were willing to put in the time to learn their capabilitys. Long may that trend continue !

I guess some folk will be daft enough to read offense into these comments so I'll put it another way.

Not everyone is cut out to work with LW just as some folks are not cut out to become guitarists no matter how hard they try. But Hey, if we take the strings off, add a few buttons and a usb port with a Midi player and a start stop switch, It would be way easier to play !!!!. 'cept it would then be pretty useless as a guitar

hmmm Maybe I'm just a grumpy auld gitt whos geting sick and tired of everything becomming reduced to "instant" and "close enough to do". The art and goals of craftsman are being swapped out for "Joe average = instant expert,, just add software"

The plugin "eagleinabarrel.p" and the story behind it has done more to keep my faith in Newtek holding out against that trend than any update ever could
I agree with you here, but my point wasn't that newtek should incorporate some autorigging stuff or 'click me and you will have ze überrig' buttons.
In the end, if you want a good rig, one usually builds it from scratch, or codes one him/herself.

The only problems I have right now is the methods of setting up IK, it's tedious, annoying and stupid.
Plus, you can not deny the fact that the IK solver it self is completely foobar. I mean, when you go a little bit in a strange pose it goes all bananas on you, unless you spend a week rigging and scripting the lot.

There's a thin line between tedious workflow and using the basics.

Anyway, as you said; not everyone is cut out to work with LW (or name any other app here). Probably the reason why I've switched over to the dark side of Softimage and SideFX.
Yet, I'm still looking forward to this release. Newtek's finally doing some catching up. Sure took them a while.

My spiffy website:
http://www.maphart.com

Current W.I.P:
The Poacher

My CGPortfolio page:
http://maph.cgsociety.org/gallery/
Maph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Feb 2008, 07:33 AM   #33
colkai
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave Motion Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
Craig - It's obvious that modeler is not getting needed attention YET but they must update it next time since he is leftout for last 2-3 updates so there is no tiem to skip it again .
Alas, I too am left a hunkerin' for some modeller changes and feel this release is "not for me".
That said, there is no denying the work they've put in and for sure the whole lighting thing seems to have many rather excited.

I know, as a developer myself, you really can't address all things at once, just my stupid side is sulking over it not being "my turn" this time around.

Work is ongoing and if they deliver a nice and solid modeller update before 9.X is put to bed I'll be happy. One can only hope modeller will get the same love and attention the rendering and lighting has.

Want to learn to model?
http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=1281
'Nuff said.
Old 22nd Feb 2008, 07:44 AM   #34
Lewis
Contributing Member

Gallery
LightWave Illustrator Corel Draw Corel Paint Photoshop After Effects Premiere

I'm spending most time in modeler also but I have need for IES on daily basis so this update IS right for me also, heck it's FREE so it's for all of us .

ICQ - 7128177
Skype - lewis3d
www.lewis.tomsoft.hr
MY LWM Video CAR Modeling Tutorial
Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Feb 2008, 03:24 PM   #35
RonGC
Registered Member

Gallery
Blender Cinema 4D Houdini LightWave Maya Modo Motion Builder Mudbox Poser Vue ZBrush Gimp Illustrator Corel Paint Photoshop Boujou After Effects Shake Premiere

Look at it this way, the quality of the upgrades is high as they have come in, so when Modeler gets its share of love it should be jaw dropping. Hoping

Ron
RonGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Feb 2008, 08:11 PM   #36
FS3D
Registered Member

Gallery
3DS Max LightWave Poser Terragen Gimp Photoshop Boujou After Effects Digital Fusion Premiere

Quote:
Originally Posted by colkai View Post
Work is ongoing and if they deliver a nice and solid modeller update before 9.X is put to bed I'll be happy. One can only hope modeller will get the same love and attention the rendering and lighting has.
I hope so... The last thing I want to happen is for things like CC Patches to get left behind until the 10.x release cycle. After all, they were implemented in 9.0 so I'd like them fixed in the current release cycle... One can only hope.

Regardless, I'll still be signing up for the OB when NT officially opens it up... I'd like to grab a hold of the rendering improvements!
System 3: MacBook Pro 4,1; Core2Duo @ 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, NVidia 8600M GT
FS3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Feb 2008, 02:23 AM   #37
Cageman
Registered Member
 Gallery
LightWave Maya Motion Builder Digital Fusion Premiere

Quote:
Originally Posted by FS3D View Post
I hope so... The last thing I want to happen is for things like CC Patches to get left behind until the 10.x release cycle. After all, they were implemented in 9.0 so I'd like them fixed in the current release cycle... One can only hope.
Yeah. CC SubD should be fixed before the end of 9.x, if not, I would like to have a good explanation from NT why it hasn't been adressed. I know that some people got upset with modeling tools in Layout not working as advertised, and NT posted an explanation and an appology (the explanation was that in their design phase it worked, but the actual implementation was just too unstable and buggy; back to the drawingtable).

BUT, Modeling LOVE is not completely left out for this release. A screenshot was posted on the NT-forums showing an object unwrapped with the new tools. I don't remember the link, but I saved the image and I'll post it here for you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UV_sample_001.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	918.3 KB
ID:	5965  
Cageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Feb 2008, 09:03 AM   #38
BillS
Administrator

Gallery
LightWave Maya Modo Softimage XSI ZBrush Illustrator Corel Paint Photoshop

Pelting UV's will be great but its not like its "new" External programs and plugins have done this for quite a while now. I'm surprised that it took NT this long to implement it on LW. The part that has me worried most is the hair/fur. It looks like they bought Fiber Factory and implemented it. I just hope that this doesn't turn into a similar situation as Shave vs SAS did. Some of the older crowd will remember that there used to be two hair systems. Sas and Shave and a Haircut. Sas was suddenly included with LW in a lite version that is about 2 degrees off being useless. Joe (? sorry if that is the wrong name.. its been a while) was so annoyed that he dropped all LW development. Now is plugin is the hair system for XSI Advanced and is available for max and maya. The list of companies using it in major productions is amazing. Sas full version is no slouch but still suffers from many integration problems with LW. From what I've seen in the past when NT buys out one second party developer... they usually aren't in a big hurry to help a competing one. And the last thing that I want is a genus like worley to throw in the towel.
Bill. aka LemmingDude. aka Ethangar, Ethanger, Ethengar, Ethenger, Ethan, Eth, ehenger, etharger, Ethel, Ehtangar, Ethanfar, hanger, Eclangers, Ethand, ethang, hangar, Ethanol, Ethangix, Ethangod, Eggnog, Ethanprop........
Lemming World
BillS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Feb 2008, 10:48 AM   #39
RonGC
Registered Member

Gallery
Blender Cinema 4D Houdini LightWave Maya Modo Motion Builder Mudbox Poser Vue ZBrush Gimp Illustrator Corel Paint Photoshop Boujou After Effects Shake Premiere

Jay Roth said its not fiber factory.

Ron
Old 23rd Feb 2008, 11:34 AM   #40
BillS
Administrator

Gallery
LightWave Maya Modo Softimage XSI ZBrush Illustrator Corel Paint Photoshop

Oh. Ok. That is what its being referred as on the NT forums
BillS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Feb 2008, 02:30 AM   #41
colkai
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave Motion Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillS View Post
Oh. Ok. That is what its being referred as on the NT forums
Wasn't it FibreFX not fibre Factory?
colkai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Feb 2008, 03:31 AM   #42
Cageman
Registered Member
 Gallery
LightWave Maya Motion Builder Digital Fusion Premiere

Quote:
Originally Posted by colkai View Post
Wasn't it FibreFX not fibre Factory?
That whole thread is messed up when it comes to FibreFX and Fiber Factory IV. Some people are quite convinced it is Fiber Factory IV that has become FibreFX; reading through that thread gives me the same impression... speculations getting out of hand it seems.

EDIT: On the note of threads getting out of hand/reach, one of the beta-testers, Raccoon Bandit (just love the names they've come up with) started a new thread called LW 9.5 Lights where he has posted some very interresting comparsions between 9.3 and 9.5, I'm VERY excited about the improvements. Anyhow, you can find the thread here!
Cageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Feb 2008, 07:36 AM   #43
colkai
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave Motion Builder

Yep, that is one very interesting thread!
colkai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Feb 2008, 08:25 AM   #44
RonGC
Registered Member

Gallery

Lighting is a biggy, what with IES and improved radiosity this pushes the lw renderer closer to vray in quality.

Ron
Old 25th Feb 2008, 02:46 AM   #45
Costanel
Registered Member
 Gallery
Blender LightWave ZBrush Gimp Illustrator Paint Shop Pro Photoshop

Improved Area Lights, better point lights, improved GI quality.

And one that many people missed(and is very handy for many modelers): Symmetry tolerance!
No more annoying point that are 1 nm off. I'm eager to try this.
Costanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Feb 2008, 03:13 AM   #46
Lewis
Contributing Member

Gallery
LightWave Illustrator Corel Draw Corel Paint Photoshop After Effects Premiere

AFAIR Jay said it's NOT Sasquatch and not that it's not FF??

Either way i believe they are developing it now in house so it's going to be different than with Saslite which was given just as *.p file and they didn't have CODE for it.
Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Mar 2008, 10:22 PM   #47
beverins
Registered Member
 Gallery
LightWave Modo Vue Photoshop Boujou Premiere

None of the beta testers can yet tell me what exactly a Joint Bone is... :-(
beverins is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Site & Community News