Old 29th Jul 2013, 10:01 PM   #1
gpdesigner
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave Poser Terragen Vue Illustrator Photoshop Shake Premiere

Default UV Maps reversed

Hello gang . . how the heck is everybody
Been doing LW lately, started a project and am having UV issues. Why are my UV's in Reverse? If you look at the attached image, my uv map window shows the image i am mapping, the top viewport shows the image in reverse, however the viewport left shows the image correctly, but its on the inside of the box . . .
This to me would suggest the poly is reversed some how, but if I flip the ploy it still has the same result . . . am I missing something here?
I just upgraded to 11.5 from 9.6.1 so this is new software for the most part . . . did I miss some tutorial somewhere or is there a switch I didn't hit . . .
any ideas . . thanks
gp
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wierd.png
Views:	191
Size:	364.6 KB
ID:	67299  
Old 29th Jul 2013, 10:05 PM   #2
gpdesigner
Registered Member

Gallery

Ok . . well I found this nifty "Flip UV" button, but that's bogus . . will I have to flip the entire model . . . this just sounds wrong !!
gp
Old 30th Jul 2013, 12:14 AM   #3
biotech

Gallery
3DS Max Bryce Poser Terragen Vue Corel Paint Paint Shop Pro

Or you could just flip the texture over, then it would be the right way up on your model.
biotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jul 2013, 05:13 AM   #4
BillS
Administrator

Gallery
LightWave Maya Modo Softimage XSI ZBrush Illustrator Corel Paint Photoshop

Even though its UV'd, LW still creates the UV's (planar that is) from the origin if I remember right. So on the front it will be correct but the back will be backwards. Easiest way that I've found is to select the UV islands that are backwards and use stretch to flip them. Set the active center to selection and stretch it to -100%. That fixes them.
Bill. aka LemmingDude. aka Ethangar, Ethanger, Ethengar, Ethenger, Ethan, Eth, ehenger, etharger, Ethel, Ehtangar, Ethanfar, hanger, Eclangers, Ethand, ethang, hangar, Ethanol, Ethangix, Ethangod, Eggnog, Ethanprop........
Lemming World
BillS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jul 2013, 08:19 AM   #5
gpdesigner
Registered Member

Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillS View Post
Even though its UV'd, LW still creates the UV's (planar that is) from the origin if I remember right. So on the front it will be correct but the back will be backwards. Easiest way that I've found is to select the UV islands that are backwards and use stretch to flip them. Set the active center to selection and stretch it to -100%. That fixes them.
So, what for saying is I created the model in reverse ? . . Bill you know you are absolutely right . . . I stated the box from the inside . . D'Uh! . .
See what happens when you take a few years off of LW . . I did some of the stretching technique you mentioned to fit the model to the map, but I didn't flip the poly's to align the image, I think that may be a bit excessive, true it would work, but can you imagine flipping an entire model like that OMG . . .
Here is a quickie render of this project, I got the maps sorted out, I think I need to resize some of them to fit. thanks for the help . .
gp
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	box.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	438.2 KB
ID:	67301  
Old 30th Jul 2013, 08:49 AM   #6
Rigel

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop

Flip UV's is the correct tool to resolve this issue.

Here's a screen shot of a thin cube I made (like the "handle" section of your drink box). I mapped a Modeler screenshot on it. The perspective port in the upper right shows the back face polygon, the perspective port bottom left shows the front face polygon. The upper left port shows the UV map. I made a simple planar UV on the Z axis. As you can see, the image is backwards on the back face.

Step one: select the back face with the flipped image.

Step two: click the FLIP UVs button, then choose Flip U. The screen shot below shows the results.

Problem solved! Both sides now have the image mapped correctly. You don't have to flip the entire map. Just select the polygon(s) you need to flip and flip them. This changes nothing on the model itself; the flipping only occurs in the UV map.

P.S. nice to see you again. Does this mean you'll be finishing the DS9?

------------------------------------------------------------
Other Projects

The Universal Joint
Beechcraft 2000 airplane
LadyBug (Firefly class freighter)
Rigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jul 2013, 10:57 AM   #7
gpdesigner
Registered Member

Gallery

Hey Rigel how are ya?
That tutorial that you did is exactly how I fixed the problem, thanks anyway tho . . .
The only issue was that if I had to do a massive model like DS9, whoul I have to flip all those poly . . there must be an easier way . . .

LOL . . . DS9 . . . . wait, I was just thinking about that . .

Actually , I did finsh the modeling and the optimization of the mesh but only just started the texturing . . but . .
I was think of just releasing the mesh on F3D and let someone else texture it . . what do you think of that idea? The truth is I will never finish the textures on that thing and if someone else can get a chance to play with the model I would prefer that . .
What do you think?
gp
Old 30th Jul 2013, 06:08 PM   #8
BillS
Administrator

Gallery
LightWave Maya Modo Softimage XSI ZBrush Illustrator Corel Paint Photoshop

I "think" it only applies to planar maps. The other kinds are projected differently instead of just shooting it down the chosen axis.
Bill. aka LemmingDude. aka Ethangar, Ethanger, Ethengar, Ethenger, Ethan, Eth, ehenger, etharger, Ethel, Ehtangar, Ethanfar, hanger, Eclangers, Ethand, ethang, hangar, Ethanol, Ethangix, Ethangod, Eggnog, Ethanprop........
Lemming World
BillS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jul 2013, 08:15 AM   #9
Rigel

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpdesigner View Post
Hey Rigel how are ya?
That tutorial that you did is exactly how I fixed the problem, thanks anyway tho . . .
The only issue was that if I had to do a massive model like DS9, whoul I have to flip all those poly . . there must be an easier way . . .

LOL . . . DS9 . . . . wait, I was just thinking about that . .

Actually , I did finsh the modeling and the optimization of the mesh but only just started the texturing . . but . .
I was think of just releasing the mesh on F3D and let someone else texture it . . what do you think of that idea? The truth is I will never finish the textures on that thing and if someone else can get a chance to play with the model I would prefer that . .
What do you think?
gp
I would direct your attention to a new area in the resources called Unfinished (under the Misc directory). You could put it there and once people texture it they can upload it to the Star Trek section.

P.S. the "easier" way to do UV maps in Lightwave (from what I've heard from other people) is to not do it with the built in tools; go with a third party UV mapping program.

------------------------------------------------------------
Other Projects

The Universal Joint
Beechcraft 2000 airplane
LadyBug (Firefly class freighter)
Rigel is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Techniques, Instruction > Texturing