Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Discussions & Support > The Cafe
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Cafe IMP, LLC, owners of this site, is happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules and use good internet etiquette (link). Discuss topics of your choice in the Cafe only, with the exception of sex or topics deemed inappropriate for family consumption. Discussions of politics and religion are discouraged due to their volatile nature; however, each thread will be judged individually for content (religion and politics) and will not be shut down immediately. Staff retains the right to close or delete any post which they deem inappropriate. Threads or posts that advocate violence or hate, advance spam, or violate our TOS will be deleted or closed.

Old 17th May 2015, 12:00 PM   #211
Tenement 01
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop After Effects Premiere

I also saw Mad Max and thought it was pretty good and with Nick in that's a very good film rather great film. (I think Mel is better in the role.) Even though there's probably a ton of wire removal and the like the one thing I did think was that Australian and South African stunt folk are certifiable. Very much worth seeing.
Tenement 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2015, 06:20 PM   #212
Meurig

Gallery
LightWave Maya Mudbox ZBrush Paint Shop Pro Photoshop Boujou Digital Fusion Shake Premiere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meurig View Post
First - that's just PR, take it with a pinch of salt. Loads of films claim that and fail to mention the hundreds of shots of rig cleanup, digidoubles, stunt replacement/enhancement etc

http://www.artofvfx.com/?p=12178
Meurig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jun 2015, 07:48 PM   #213
Rigel

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop

Last night a friend and I watched Seventh Son. My take is that it had nice visual effects, but nothing that stands out in a market glutted with CG visual effects. The story was completely *yawn* pedestrian and gave me no reason to be emotionally invested in any of the characters. The ending was terribly weak. Also, Jeff Bridges was trying so hard to speak with a strange accent that he was unintelligible in many scenes.

It's entertaining enough, but only if you don't have something decent to watch that evening.

------------------------------------------------------------
Other Projects

The Universal Joint
Beechcraft 2000 airplane
LadyBug (Firefly class freighter)
Rigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jun 2015, 10:18 PM   #214
John Marchant
Registered Member

Gallery
Blender LightWave Terragen Vue Photoshop Premiere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigel View Post
Last night a friend and I watched Seventh Son. My take is that it had nice visual effects, but nothing that stands out in a market glutted with CG visual effects. The story was completely *yawn* pedestrian and gave me no reason to be emotionally invested in any of the characters. The ending was terribly weak. Also, Jeff Bridges was trying so hard to speak with a strange accent that he was unintelligible in many scenes.

It's entertaining enough, but only if you don't have something decent to watch that evening.
Yeah what was with that accent, I take it that he was trying to come over with a more English accent, cant understand why. Its better to understand what he is saying than the accent he is saying it in.
John Marchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jun 2015, 07:50 AM   #215
Rigel

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Marchant View Post
Yeah what was with that accent, I take it that he was trying to come over with a more English accent, cant understand why. Its better to understand what he is saying than the accent he is saying it in.
Oh good, it wasn't just me!

Other Projects

The Universal Joint
Beechcraft 2000 airplane
Old 8th Jun 2015, 12:16 PM   #216
DigitalOrigami
Registered Member

Gallery
Modo Photoshop

Watched "Kingsman" on the weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it. Not quite what I was expecting, it was a little more over the top than I thought it would be. Enjoyed the characters and the actors playing them - Sam Jackson was fun to watch in this, and a nice bit from Mark Hamill although his accent nearly veered into "Joker" territory once or twice. Thought the rest of the cast was very good as well.

Was very entertained and will probably keep this one around as a "guilty pleasure" down the road.
DigitalOrigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jun 2015, 02:45 PM   #217
Meurig

Gallery
LightWave Maya Mudbox ZBrush Paint Shop Pro Photoshop Boujou Digital Fusion Shake Premiere

I watched Kingsman the other week, and the longer it went on the less I liked it. It was stupid more than irreverent, and left a very bad taste in the mouth.

I just watched They Live for the first time and it did not live up to expectation.
Old 10th Jun 2015, 01:02 PM   #218
tension69
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave Terragen Photoshop

Not sure if this qualifies but...

...I just watched my cat eat a bird on the back lawn
Old 10th Jun 2015, 03:25 PM   #219
Treybor
Asylum Inmate

Gallery
LightWave Poser ZBrush Photoshop Premiere

Quote:
I just watched They Live for the first time and it did not live up to expectation.
It was one of the John Carpenter movies that had a great premise, but starred Rowdy Roddy Piper... an 80's wrestling star who cannot act. It is definitely a film with which I have a love/hate relationship.

Like "Lifeforce", I love the premise, but the whole show really rode on Melinda May's bosom.

I just got done watching all 5 seasons of B5. My brother in law passed away and his wife gave me the set. I really love the story-line, but the effects are truly 1990's. I would love to see another space opera on TV at some point.
B5 is gone...
Farscape is gone...
http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=1281

SubPatch Modeling Tutorial (Nudity Warning)
http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=3445
Treybor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jun 2015, 03:53 PM   #220
Starbase1
Registered Member

Gallery
Blender LightWave Modo Poser Terragen Vue Gimp Paint Shop Pro Photoshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treybor View Post
I just got done watching all 5 seasons of B5. My brother in law passed away and his wife gave me the set. I really love the story-line, but the effects are truly 1990's. I would love to see another space opera on TV at some point.
B5 is gone...
Farscape is gone...
Yes, it seems like fantasy stuff has taken over, mostly low budget from what I see.

A nice BIG story with good current space effects would go down very nicely.

I'm now at the point where I don't have a single show on series record...

Starbase1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jun 2015, 10:34 AM   #221
Meurig

Gallery

I've just seen Jurassic World. I went in with lowered expectations based on trailers that didn't do much for me, and I still came out disappointed.

It isn't terrible, and I've seen many reviews saying it's better than 2 or 3, but to be honest that isn't really aiming that high. The characters are all one note, the writing is cheesy and few characters behave and react as real people would, the villains are straight from Scooby Doo, and probably worst of all - the action is badly directed. The director somehow got this gig off the back of a small romcom called Safety Not Guaranteed from a few years ago, which I didn't much like, and he was not at all ready for a film this big and the action scenes are the worst example of this; they're incoherent, choppily edited and dull.

There's one long shot right near the end which is by far the highlight of the film, and this one shot alone gave me the same feeling as Jurassic Park, in fact that shot alone felt like Spielberg directed it rather than just lent his name to the promotion.

On the upside the FX are great, there are a few good ideas in there, and at least in the first act they appear to have the self awareness for how stupid and corporate the setup of the story is by having heroic characters criticise it, though this is undercut somewhat by the offensive level of product placement in the film.

Gah. I LOVE Jurassic Park. It was my Star Wars. Why has nobody been able to hit gold twice.
Old 14th Jun 2015, 12:32 PM   #222
Rigel

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop

Quote:
Why has nobody been able to hit gold twice.
I think part of it is, people don't want to do what worked in the first film. If they do a sequel, they have to "make it theirs". So that involves changing just about everything in sight. Doing so, you end up discarding the things that made the first one successful.

Mainly, it's because most (action movie) scripts never incorporate the first rule of good writing; build strong, believable characters that the audience will identify with. The movies that can only be praised for the visuals most often lack those good characters. No story can succeed without that.

Other Projects

The Universal Joint
Beechcraft 2000 airplane
Old 14th Jun 2015, 02:10 PM   #223
Starbase1
Registered Member

Gallery

Saw battle of the 5 armies about 2 nights ago.

Absolutely loathed it.Not sure how I stuck it to the end...

One long irrational fight, loaded with ridiculous ideas, (Legolas jumping up falling rocks straight out of an old PlayStation game, the fight on the ice was daft and 100% predictable.

Downdrafts from big eagles laying waste to mighty armies, (who appear to have all forgotten their arrows), the awful drag act comic relief, (why did Bard take him seriously for a minute?).

I'd say it's a prime candidate for the worst film to ever have such a budget.

Even some of the effects looked ropey to me, though that was probably because what they were trying to portray was inherently silly.

Awful.

Old 14th Jun 2015, 03:15 PM   #224
BillS
Administrator

Gallery
LightWave Maya Modo Softimage XSI ZBrush Illustrator Corel Paint Photoshop

Quote:
I've just seen Jurassic World. I went in with lowered expectations based on trailers that didn't do much for me, and I still came out disappointed.
----{snip}----
Gah. I LOVE Jurassic Park. It was my Star Wars. Why has nobody been able to hit gold twice.
Well that pretty much sums up all that I've heard about it to. One friend caught himself ( and others by the sound of it) cheering for the dino to eat the kids in the plastic ball thing. I'll likely end up watching it... but not until its on netflix or something.
Bill. aka LemmingDude. aka Ethangar, Ethanger, Ethengar, Ethenger, Ethan, Eth, ehenger, etharger, Ethel, Ehtangar, Ethanfar, hanger, Eclangers, Ethand, ethang, hangar, Ethanol, Ethangix, Ethangod, Eggnog, Ethanprop........
Lemming World
BillS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jun 2015, 03:42 PM   #225
Meurig

Gallery

To be fair Jurassic Park had irritating kids in it as well, but it also had great characters who you can't imagine anyone else playing. Could you imagine if they'd recast Ian Malcolm as anyone other than Jeff Goldblum? It just wouldn't have worked. Or Attenborough as Hammond, or Sam Neil as Grant etc. At the very least World has the sense not to attempt to recast anybody but the entire cast of World are interchangeable because they're just walking tropes, not characters. Any actor could've played any of the parts and it wouldn't have made the film any better or worse.

I don't want the sequel to be the same as the original because that's pointless, I could just watch the original again. I just want it to be good, and it isn't.
Old 14th Jun 2015, 04:37 PM   #226
Starbase1
Registered Member

Gallery

Actually I was very disappointed by the Attenborough portrayal, He turned the thoroughly unpleasant and hard headed character in the book into some kind of kindly old uncle...

You are right about the others though, excellent casting.

Old 15th Jun 2015, 03:54 PM   #227
bmckain
Wire Junkie

Gallery
Bryce LightWave Poser Vue Photoshop

I just watched hunger Games last night. I Know, very late. I wasn't really interested from the beginning but it was on and I was bored so I watched it. It nearly lost me in the first 15 minutes. And TGH I had a bit of a hard time sticking it through. I had not heard a review or spoilers so there was no bias from that point. It just didn't capture me like it seemed to do for so many people. Oh well.
Old 15th Jun 2015, 06:39 PM   #228
Jessica6
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop

Just finished watching the latest episode of a web series called "After Hours" on Cracked.com. Four friends sit in a diner and geek out about some topic. This month, the Matrix trilogy.

They ultimately come to the conclusion that the "Matrix" in the films, and Zion and all the humans are really part of a "Matrix" that takes place not in the minds of the people but in the mind of the machines. That people in the "real" world created it to control the intelligent, psychotic machines. They created a world for them where they were all powerful thus keeping them from destroying us in the real world.
Jessica6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jun 2015, 02:59 PM   #229
Starbase1
Registered Member

Gallery

After trying a lot of not very impressive stuff in the Anime genre, I'm now really getting stuck into Aldnoah Zero.

About 1 1third of the way through the animation really steps up a notch, but what I am enjoying most is the complex characters. The baddies have good motivation - indeed it's not always clear who the real baddies are.

Plus there's a willingness to kill major characters which really makes you unsure who will make it through the episode, (let alone the series).

Nick

Old 26th Jun 2015, 12:01 AM   #230
Adam
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave Illustrator Photoshop

I loved Aldnoah Zero. I thought the series was really good and had great character building too.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Jun 2015, 12:11 AM   #231
Starbase1
Registered Member

Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I loved Aldnoah Zero. I thought the series was really good and had great character building too.
Any others you would recommend?

Old 26th Jun 2015, 07:14 AM   #232
tension69
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave Terragen Photoshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbase1 View Post
"Ghost In The Shell" if you haven't discovered it already...it's my favourite, dark and clever

Edit : There's of course the original movie (awesome) and then a couple of seasons ('Gigs') and a few more movies.
Old 26th Jun 2015, 09:10 AM   #233
Oldcode
Contributing Member

Gallery
LightWave Poser Photoshop After Effects Premiere

Talking

Been watching the first season of Babylon 5 the past couple of week. It had actually been a while since I'd seen it so its almost like rediscovering it again.

Man I miss Micheal O'Hare.

Only watching 1 episode per night so tonight is Voice in the Wilderness part 2.

Awesome!

“Then forever remind him of his vow, Knight of the Old Code.”
Oldcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Jun 2015, 09:24 AM   #234
Starbase1
Registered Member

Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by tension69 View Post
"Ghost In The Shell" if you haven't discovered it already...it's my favourite, dark and clever

Edit : There's of course the original movie (awesome) and then a couple of seasons ('Gigs') and a few more movies.
Oh yes, Ghost in the Shell is what got me into anime!

Seriously intelligent, with wonderful visuals! The second film in particular stretches what is possible with animation.

I've mentioned enjoying Space Brothers a lot, "Parasyte" was not bad.

Old 26th Jun 2015, 10:04 AM   #235
Treybor
Asylum Inmate

Gallery

Quote:
Oh yes, Ghost in the Shell is what got me into anime!

Seriously intelligent, with wonderful visuals! The second film in particular stretches what is possible with animation.

I've mentioned enjoying Space Brothers a lot, "Parasyte" was not bad.
I LOVE GITS!

"Akira" wasn't bad either. I loved the story, and the visuals weren't bad for the late 80's.

I also have a place in my heart for "Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind". I first saw it on VHS as "Warriors of the Wind". The un-dubbed version is much better.

Old 26th Jun 2015, 12:29 PM   #236
Oldcode
Contributing Member

Gallery
LightWave Poser Photoshop After Effects Premiere

Talking

My love affair with Anime started way way back when I was about 5 with Kimba the Lion and Speed Racer.

Later I got into the American version of Gatchman, also known as Battle of the Planets, and Space Battleship Yamato, also known as Star Blazers.

I recently got to see the reboot of Yamato and its really good! It's like everything that was good about the original, with a more complex and better written story, more and more mature characters, with great special effects with music and sound effects that were very much in the spirit of the original.

Somebody said on some forum somewhere,

America, this is how you do a remake!

I agree.

“Then forever remind him of his vow, Knight of the Old Code.”
Oldcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Jun 2015, 04:15 PM   #237
Bishop
Contributing Member

Gallery
LightWave Modo Photoshop

I just watched this.

I REALLY need this.
Old 27th Jun 2015, 12:57 AM   #238
Adam
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave Illustrator Photoshop

Quote:
Several Recommendations (listed with English and Japanese titles in some cases)

Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei / The Irregular at Magic High School: Good story and character development. Awesome visuals and fight scenes and an original concept. Probably my favorite in the last few years.

Tokyo Ghoul: Awesome visuals and storyline. Really gets into the character development too.

If you like the MMO genre then both Sword Art Online and Log Horizon are great series. Both have two seasons and about 50 episodes each.

Others I have enjoyed in the past:

Persona 4: The Animation
Phi Brain: Kami no Puzzle
(3 seasons of puzzle solving with your life on the line)

That's about all I can think of right now, but that should give you plenty to watch
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jun 2015, 11:32 PM   #239
Treybor
Asylum Inmate

Gallery

Just watched Interstellar for the first time, and Fifth Element for the umpteenth time.

Old 28th Jun 2015, 04:13 AM   #240
Crook
Contributing Member

Gallery
LightWave Terragen ZBrush Photoshop After Effects

Mad Max had too much action and not enough story, and definitely not enough script, but the action iit had was good, and the vehicles true to genre.

Poltergeist was on TV the other day, so watched II and III. As with most trilogies they fade away the higher you go. III is awful. The latest 2015 poltergeist misses the mark wildly where the original got it spot on.

Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Discussions & Support > The Cafe