Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Creative Works > Works in Progress
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Works in Progress Critique works in progress, 2D 3D and animations

Old 1st Apr 2018, 10:40 PM   #1351
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery
3DS Max Illustrator Corel Paint Paint Shop Pro Photoshop After Effects Premiere

Aft windows in same on both sides except the lighting is unique. Likely have to fine tune it down the road. ATM it is just white rooms with no textures or anything else.

I have been thinking about the forward bulkhead rooms as some of those are listed as arboretum on some blues but I do not think any of those are canon but the idea persists.

really hate these round portholes, expanding them out into rooms is a real PITA.
Old 2nd Apr 2018, 04:29 AM   #1352
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Forward sets in with rooms and textures. Have to run these sans the struts to see the lights and stuff as struts are subdiv atm and block rooms some.

addition, bulkhead cutters set up. I could not figure out a way to get 3 rows in this area short of double decks or other foolery.

Old 2nd Apr 2018, 07:19 PM   #1353
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

To note some rooms have bits of those brackets in them which will change as I cut things down and decide how the mechanical bits of those things will work. IE move the rooms some or move the bits of the overlapped polies.
comparo of frosted and unfrosted glass as well as small details added to the grids.

bulkhead windows

I am also finding the glows off my lum objects are being choked down IE they fall off very fast so some rooms they only lite up one wall or less some none at all. While I want a tight fall off to get that patchy TOS lighting I do not want rooms to fall off to black unless it is a unlit room.
Old 3rd Apr 2018, 04:29 AM   #1354
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

First set of windows here. Goofed a bit and I will have to respin those purple ones to get them a bit lower than they are now as clearances for the rooms were a bit to tight. This is part of why the purple ones are sticking out of the hull so much in the render as it was an attempt to get the clearance but it is still too tight resulting in really high windows on those rooms IE near the ceilings. I think I had similar issues with the TOS connie as rooms couldn't bee too deep without crossing each other or using one large room for some windows. heh, Also some changes to the grids and small markings.

Old 3rd Apr 2018, 11:01 PM   #1355
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

More windows and markings on the lower hull. I debated on all the tiny tick marks as I will have to spin them all over the saucer but it adds that bit of eye dirt to the ship. Added a few smartass labels to the hull too. Probably move onto the upper saucer soon so I can remember to match up the random markings. Then rim windows I suppose. Going to have to detach panels soon to do unique uvws unless I decide to planar map them to do the grunge maps but I might just do those as a separate UVW ID though that gets to headache levels of complexity in the textures.

Old 4th Apr 2018, 05:17 AM   #1356
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Here is the update, just more panel lines that funny neck thing I had always thought was to patch up where the neck joined on the CONNIE before I knew that ILM built this out of scale and from scratch vs using existing molds. Now it just seems like some dodad to not have a nekkid saucer. I did think about leaving it out entirely and doing some other detail but ehhhhhhh I was lazy.

Eh a kinda crappy render, does not really show some of the grids. Maybe they are too close to the triangle thing. oh well. And yes, the uvw maps are all fugly right now.
Old 5th Apr 2018, 08:35 PM   #1357
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Well, all the windows are in I think. I might pull off some of the windows in the aft hull area. It is a lot fewer than the TMP ship but it is a lot more than the connie in any one place.

Old 6th Apr 2018, 05:19 AM   #1358
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Added those docking doors and according to one of the blues one is a docking collar and the other is for one of those pods. I just managed to get it in. It is smaller than the TMP ship but the standard collar easily fits behind the doors with quite a bit of room. I will have to remove a window or 2 however. (rendered side is one) You also will see a collar floating I was toying with the idea of sticking one in that hardpoint as a fitting for then the ship has docking clamps on those hardpoints. I have just enough room for the doors to open, the only issue is flat mounting it and how that would affect things in a visual manner. I do not think I really need a physical collar though.

NOTE; the doors are smaller because I wanted to get those side mounted blinky TOS lights onto the saucer centerline.

Speaking of docking collars The way I have the turbo lifts the intent is a rig would come down and direct mount to the bridge and allow lists to enter and leave the ship as well as a walking access through the hatches back there. Most of the work was collapsing and optimizing parts, nearing the point I will start working the details that some of you might have already guessed at.
Old 7th Apr 2018, 04:58 AM   #1359
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Got lazy today just chopped up the nacelle and made paint stencils. Then started goofing with lights.

Old 8th Apr 2018, 07:31 AM   #1360
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Bay numbers cut and took off those hatches for the landing lights then spent the rest of the night detaching panels and redoing all the uvw so each panel is unique IE the textures do not cross the panels and do not mirror or line up to any other panel on the lower saucer. Time to do the top and all the other panels on the ship.

Old 9th Apr 2018, 01:35 AM   #1361
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Started to deal with the panels on the flat areas. I broke this upper surface up some with thin grids. I am unsure if I will add all the little blocks seen on the tmp ship. I have held off on the upper saucer until I finalize panels layouts (mostly the bits where panel grids run into things)

Old 11th Apr 2018, 01:27 AM   #1362
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Small progress mostly nacelle stuff. Ignore the gimpy decal on the right nacelle, some reason it is not aligning properly.

Old 12th Apr 2018, 07:35 AM   #1363
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

new butt stuff. I just did not like the round ball; bits I had and wanted something more connie than what I had. I also hated the dodgy modeling I had in that area as well.
I will likely be building it in more than what it is here as this is all early work up.

There was probably more stuff done on the nacelle but just a mess of short sessions here and there I forget what was changed since last night.
Old 13th Apr 2018, 06:51 AM   #1364
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

OK more butt stuff and even main hull BUTT stuff. . . . most of it atm is just attempts to get rid of that blank area below the impulse. While TOS had lots of blank areas this just did not work for me. I think the stencils will do the trick over anything modeled out or in. I guess I could put some of those colored lines around it like what were on the Connies impulse drive on top of the saucer.

Oh also remembering this is a post Connnie ship I am wondering if I should have all those tubes around the grids of the nacelles.

Old 14th Apr 2018, 05:09 AM   #1365
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Updates are a bit meh today. Just cloned some bits about then planned to model up some more connections in those shoulder notches and ended up putting a dish thing there. Dunno if I will go with it or not. I do know some of the details around will need to be redone as it is a bit jumbly.

Old 14th Apr 2018, 01:04 PM   #1366
Daringer
Registered Member
 Gallery
3DS Max Poser

Looking fantastic as usual....Keep up the great work
Daringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Apr 2018, 03:37 AM   #1367
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Taking some time off to look at how I plan to do the registries. One spot I am torn on is the underside, tos style or latter TMP central layout. . . . . Remaining TMP era markings will be placed around the ship only thing I am leaving off are the pennants on the struts as they seem redundant with pennants on the nacelles.

Some sample markings. I the yellow outline even though it is only the yellowing of the decal film on the canon sheets. I figured it adds a nice contrast to jump the registry from the hull surfacing.

ATM I am only planning 2 registries but I might do more if I can find TOS era ships in novels etc before i finish this task. Which means not likely.
Old 15th Apr 2018, 11:08 PM   #1368
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

oh wow the database errors or just unresponsiveness of the site has gotten really bad lately. Wonder how much of the traffic is just crap spam bots and snoop bots.

Hate cleaning all the verts from booleaning this stuff. I am considering using a lighting scheme on the registry more like my wedge trek than the classic TMP ones. Still get these back reflections on the photometric lights. GRRR.

Probably gives a spoiler to some other projects I am considering.

EDIT
An example image to refresh anyone on the wedge trek registry lighting.

Old 17th Apr 2018, 04:29 PM   #1369
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

More bits on those notch things. I tried a tos deflector material and it was too much. Another delayed post as impatience with renders had me go to bed on it.

Old 18th Apr 2018, 12:50 AM   #1370
ST-One
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave TrueSpace

Like I said over at the other place, you could teach the producers of STD how to update the original TOS design aesthetic and how to bring it into the early 21st century.
Old 18th Apr 2018, 06:07 AM   #1371
The Animaniac
Premiere Member

Gallery
Cinema 4D Poser Vue Photoshop Digital Fusion

Awesome, as always!
The Animaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Apr 2018, 06:45 AM   #1372
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

lol I dunno I think we might be a dying breed as so many would probably enjoy a elipse with greebles on and glowy go faster stripes. STD I kinda hold judgement on as they might have something in the mix but I am not holding any real hope as I think all the lies and promises were just BS and they got nothing to explain anything and just either legally or out of stupidity dug themselves into a hole they cannot get out of. Hell I have heard nu-fans say things like why do they even bother with the "outdated" saucer nacelles and stuff. And things like "screw that old stuff" Same set of comments I hear about Doctor Who, like the old stories are irrelevant. My aunt only 5yrs older than me was like yuck I dunwanna watch that old stuff. My replay, don't talk to me about it then. Cause I like the old B$W shite. FFFFFFF

Just some lighting stuff. I am considering ripping a mess of that lower detail off the ships bottom aft. Just seems ill-fitting.

Old 20th Apr 2018, 02:15 AM   #1373
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Some more cleaning up and altering bits.

Old 20th Apr 2018, 05:06 AM   #1374
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Opinions on glowy nacelle crap? if yeah should I stick to the tmp purple blue or go for something new like maybe a faint white? Like on my rereconnie?

Anyhow replaced the tubes braces and fins with simple boxes to clean this area up. IE to de-clutter it to look newer than a connie. I might pull off some of the junk around the base of the intercooler bar. Aft bars are tempting to do like in the original doodle with caps and internals under them vs the bars with fins underneath that I have now.

example of the white, this has a blue cast and glare shader going on.
Old 20th Apr 2018, 08:12 AM   #1375
Dark Lane
Premiere Member

Gallery
LightWave Maya Modo ZBrush Illustrator Corel Paint Photoshop After Effects Premiere

I think the blue/white mix is a better indicator of warp temperatures (nice and toasty hot), it looks more realistic to my eye
Old 21st Apr 2018, 12:18 AM   #1376
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Yeah others liked the white too. I just think it looks bettwer with the tos details.

White bits in. A bit more subtle than the rereconnie as that was exposed elements. Maybe I will increase the light output?

Old 21st Apr 2018, 04:36 AM   #1377
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Decimation of some of the windows on the wedge area. Thinking that strut is a bit plain looking so debating decal or just some panels?

Old 22nd Apr 2018, 01:58 AM   #1378
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

some light panels to see how I like it.

got busy watching anime and movies that I didn't get much else done.
Old 23rd Apr 2018, 01:50 AM   #1379
Madkoifish
Premiere Member

Gallery

Corrected registries and replaced all the hidden glow objects for gizmos, one thing the photometrics fail at is pinpoint light. Tighten the boundaries all the way and they still emit a diffuse glow. Thinking maybe I will add some top lights on the upper hull and something to light the aft bridge docking mount.

Old 23rd Apr 2018, 07:18 AM   #1380
Rigel

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop

The lighting looks good!

------------------------------------------------------------
Other Projects

The Universal Joint
Beechcraft 2000 airplane
LadyBug (Firefly class freighter)
Rigel is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Creative Works > Works in Progress