Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Discussions & Support > The Cafe
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Cafe IMP, LLC, owners of this site, is happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules and use good internet etiquette (link). Discuss topics of your choice in the Cafe only, with the exception of sex or topics deemed inappropriate for family consumption. Discussions of politics and religion are discouraged due to their volatile nature; however, each thread will be judged individually for content (religion and politics) and will not be shut down immediately. Staff retains the right to close or delete any post which they deem inappropriate. Threads or posts that advocate violence or hate, advance spam, or violate our TOS will be deleted or closed.

Old 21st Feb 2018, 01:12 PM   #1
Bracer
Registered Member

Gallery
Blender

Default Lightwave 2018, those who purchased it, what are your reasons ?

I will always love Lightwave because of Jimmy Neutron and the fact that Lightwave is being used in Star Trek discovery (which I only got to see bits and pieces of in YouTube) goes to show that it is very capable of producing really high end visuals in the right hands.

Coming from a Blender perspective [Blender 2.8 is going to huge in my opinion because of eevee] and looking from within the context of the lukewarm reception that the latest lightwave 2018 have [from a few YouTube reviews]...I have a question to those who purchased the latest version of Lightwave 2018 or upgraded.

Why ?

Is it because of reasons of shear familiarity ?
(Meaning you have been using it since forever so...might as well.)

Or it finally got that XXX feature you have been waiting for ?

Just curious.
Old 22nd Feb 2018, 05:51 AM   #2
Gordon Robb
Contributing Member

Gallery
LightWave ZBrush Corel Paint Photoshop After Effects Premiere

I know I upgraded as I support the programme, and it is my 'go to' 3D app. But most people have upgraded because the new lighting and surfacing capabilities are significantly better. The ability to do realistic work just ramped up in realism and made it a lot quicker too.
Old 22nd Feb 2018, 06:25 AM   #3
Bracer
Registered Member

Gallery
Blender

Lightwave 2018 is almost all about the rendering improvements.

Interesting that Lightwave have ALWAYS been known as THE 3D app with the BEST built in native renderer.

I was just about wondering how long can they hold that title and they came out with 2018 with even MORE improvement to it.

Lightwave finally got PBR. [Physically Based Rendering]
Old 22nd Feb 2018, 02:02 PM   #4
Jedi2016
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop After Effects

For me, the lighting,shading, and rendering improvements. It's not nearly as hard to get really good results with almost anything.
Old 22nd Feb 2018, 04:16 PM   #5
lonewriter
Registered Member

Gallery
3DS Max Blender Bryce LightWave Terragen Vue Illustrator Photoshop

I still use 10 mainly because of money (I'm about ready to pay off my house) but I would love to upgrade especially now I have the PC that can handle it.
lonewriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Mar 2018, 09:57 AM   #6
Aggi
Contributing Member
 Gallery
LightWave

Unhappy

I purchased Lightwave 2018 because it is my favourite 3D-Application and I have many Star Trek models built, downloaded and converted to Lightwave. But with the changes in Lightwave 2018 I have to remodel all models - and this point is annoying.

I'm doing for now my TOS Enterprise remastered, but because I only have 1 or 2 hours a day to use Lightwave 2018 it will be a long process.
Old 1st Mar 2018, 05:33 PM   #7
ronaldheld
Contributing Member
 Gallery
LightWave

I also use 10 but I sm thinking of upgrading to 2018.
ronaldheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Mar 2018, 12:41 AM   #8
Gordon Robb
Contributing Member

Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggi View Post
I purchased Lightwave 2018 because it is my favourite 3D-Application and I have many Star Trek models built, downloaded and converted to Lightwave. But with the changes in Lightwave 2018 I have to remodel all models - and this point is annoying.

I'm doing for now my TOS Enterprise remastered, but because I only have 1 or 2 hours a day to use Lightwave 2018 it will be a long process.
Why do you have to remodel them? Or do you mean re-surface them?
Old 2nd Mar 2018, 08:33 AM   #9
Aggi
Contributing Member
 Gallery
LightWave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Robb View Post
Why do you have to remodel them? Or do you mean re-surface them?
Both, remodel and retexture. There are minor errors on the old model that you don't see in LW 9.6, but coming out as big errors in Lightwave 2018. You can see it in the left image below. The rear part of the secondary hull has in this image a visible error, but they are spread all over the model.
The second image shows the Enterprise almost reworked. Most of the errors are done and the model has been almost retextured. The ship lights have to be updated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Enterprise FlyBy 2018-01-11 3.0__104.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	410.1 KB
ID:	84895  Click image for larger version

Name:	TOS Enterprise remastered 2018-03-02.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	490.3 KB
ID:	84897  
Old 2nd Mar 2018, 04:53 PM   #10
Bracer
Registered Member

Gallery
Blender

Quote:
What ?
A mesh is a mesh is a mesh !
Why remodel ?
Did Lightwave suddenly only accept ONE type of mesh ? All NURBS ? All Polys ? What's going on here ?

I mean if you say you have to re do all the material I can understand because of the new Physically Based Rendering Material.

But remodel ? What ???!!!
Old 2nd Mar 2018, 05:12 PM   #11
Jedi2016
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop After Effects

I haven't had any problems with the geometry myself.
Old 2nd Mar 2018, 09:00 PM   #12
Oldcode
Contributing Member

Gallery
LightWave Poser Photoshop After Effects Premiere

I've downloaded the demo and have had a problem with Lightwave crashing when I use the MakePath tool within SoftFx.

“Then forever remind him of his vow, Knight of the Old Code.”
Oldcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2018, 12:17 AM   #13
Aggi
Contributing Member
 Gallery
LightWave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bracer View Post
What ?
A mesh is a mesh is a mesh !
Why remodel ?
Did Lightwave suddenly only accept ONE type of mesh ? All NURBS ? All Polys ? What's going on here ?

I mean if you say you have to re do all the material I can understand because of the new Physically Based Rendering Material.

But remodel ? What ???!!!
Please, take a look at the attached images in my post before and you will see and understand!
Old 3rd Mar 2018, 10:04 AM   #14
Bracer
Registered Member

Gallery
Blender

Yes I saw, you model is excellent !
Old 3rd Mar 2018, 02:35 PM   #15
Gordon Robb
Contributing Member

Gallery

Quote:
Please, take a look at the attached images in my post before and you will see and understand!
I’m not seeing the error sorry. Can you point it out? Or do a closer render of the problem bit. Just curious what might be causing it.
Old 4th Mar 2018, 07:28 PM   #16
Oldcode
Contributing Member

Gallery
LightWave Poser Photoshop After Effects Premiere

Angry

I bought 2018 to fix a problem I've been having with Kinematic object that I'm trying to use as proxys for hair collisions. I've been trying to learn how to do dynamic hair in LW for a while now and felt like I was almost there, then this Kinematic bug popped up. Newtek said it was a bug within Bullet and upgrading to 2018 should fix it, which it did.

Only problem now is a whole new slew of bugs has reared their ugly heads.

Every time I try to use the Make Path tool so I can parent to a point, Layout crashes, and Bullet is acting completely crazy. If I forget to click off Enable Dynamics before I make a change or add something, Bullet completely bogs down. I have to spend the next 5 minutes clicking on abort to get it to stop so I can make my changes. Plus, whey I try to use the dynamic hair even with the same settings as 2015, the hair acts like its being hit by a whirlwind and I can't figure out why.

UPDATE: Just realized that the X field for Gravity in Bullet was not set to zero but was at 8 M. Don't know if I did that, or it was setup like that by default. I don't remember going it the World tab and even looking at Gravity so I don't know how I did that if it was me. Uggggh!

“Then forever remind him of his vow, Knight of the Old Code.”
Oldcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Mar 2018, 10:35 PM   #17
mattc
Premiere Member
 Gallery
LightWave Modo Photoshop Digital Fusion

Quote:
I’m not seeing the error sorry. Can you point it out? Or do a closer render of the problem bit. Just curious what might be causing it.

Looks more like an issue with the textures rather than anything. given that 2018 is a completely different shading model, that's no surprise. And it doesn't take that long to change things over either.
mattc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Mar 2018, 03:03 PM   #18
Bracer
Registered Member

Gallery
Blender

The shading change is very necessary, Physical Based rendering a.k.a Principled Shading is going to be the way forward.

Lightwave secured its future with that update.

I hope they will address your issues Oldcode.

That is why I dumped everything and go full on Blender, Blender implemented full on PBR.

OldCode or anyone here familiar with Lightwave 2018, what material workflow is Lightwave using ?

Metalness and Roughness ?

or Metalness and Glossiness

or no...just NO ! Glossiness Specular workflow ?
Old 5th Mar 2018, 03:19 PM   #19
Aggi
Contributing Member
 Gallery
LightWave

Quote:
Ok. Here is the image (on the left) with with no errors in LW9.6 and one directly visible error in the render of LW2018 (red circles).

The second image shows the model almost completly reworked in Lightwave 3D 2018. Some minor changes have to be done. One of the biggest challenge were the bussard lights which I changed from volumetric lights to hypervoxels. I have to try and error a little bit more, but I think I'm near to the result of the LW9.6 model.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Enterprise FlyBy 2018-01-11 3.0__104A.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	429.0 KB
ID:	84903  Click image for larger version

Name:	Enterprise Bussard Test 2018-03-04 1.0__003.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	402.7 KB
ID:	84904  
Old 5th Mar 2018, 04:41 PM   #20
mattc
Premiere Member
 Gallery
LightWave Modo Photoshop Digital Fusion

The new renderer (funnily enough, quite similar to Arnold) may be more unforgiving of sloppy geometry. Then again, that happened more than once between 9.6 and 2015.3.

Bracer: Roughness/Specular (old reflection)/Metalness.

There was a significant change to Roughness in 2018.0.2 where it was fixed (mainly at IRMLs insistence).
mattc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Mar 2018, 07:10 AM   #21
Gordon Robb
Contributing Member

Gallery

Quote:
Ok. Here is the image (on the left) with with no errors in LW9.6 and one directly visible error in the render of LW2018 (red circles).

The second image shows the model almost completly reworked in Lightwave 3D 2018. Some minor changes have to be done. One of the biggest challenge were the bussard lights which I changed from volumetric lights to hypervoxels. I have to try and error a little bit more, but I think I'm near to the result of the LW9.6 model.
Ah right. Could be smoothing errors. You could (have tried) adjusting the smoothing threshold maybe. Looking good reworked though,.
Old 20th Mar 2018, 11:27 AM   #22
WesChilton
 Gallery
Houdini LightWave Maya Modo Mudbox Softimage XSI Illustrator Photoshop Boujou After Effects Digital Fusion Premiere

Anyone care to comment on the stability and performance on the Mac? I jjust bought an iMac Pro and am thinking about upgrading from LW8 to LW 2018 due to the PBR and OpenVDB support (Houdini master here).

I have a ton of LW content that I dread having to convert to another format. Yuck.
Old 20th Mar 2018, 05:55 PM   #23
David cgc
Premiere Member

Gallery
LightWave Maya Illustrator Photoshop After Effects Shake Premiere

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesChilton View Post
Anyone care to comment on the stability and performance on the Mac? I jjust bought an iMac Pro and am thinking about upgrading from LW8 to LW 2018 due to the PBR and OpenVDB support (Houdini master here).

I have a ton of LW content that I dread having to convert to another format. Yuck.
It seems about as stable as ever for me. Like, not unusably crashy but, still, you've got that "tap 's' every time there's a lull in your attention" muscle-memory going on, just in case. I had a weird instance earlier today of Modeler claiming to be out of memory, but I think that might've been because of some weird geometry I was trying to get rid of, anyway.

Though most of my LW work this year has been at the office, where we're still running El Cap for some reason, so it's possible some of the instability is from using an older OS.
Old 21st Mar 2018, 07:13 AM   #24
Rigel

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop

Quote:

For me, Lightwave 10.1 was rendered pretty much useless by Sierra. I played with the 2018 demo for a few days in High Sierra and did not have any of the problems that I had with 10.1.

I'm running a late 2013 iMac 21.5".

But you will need to adjust or redo the textures on everything!

------------------------------------------------------------
Other Projects

The Universal Joint
Beechcraft 2000 airplane
LadyBug (Firefly class freighter)
Rigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Mar 2018, 11:10 AM   #25
WesChilton
 Gallery
Houdini LightWave Maya Modo Mudbox Softimage XSI Illustrator Photoshop Boujou After Effects Digital Fusion Premiere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigel View Post
For me, Lightwave 10.1 was rendered pretty much useless by Sierra. I played with the 2018 demo for a few days in High Sierra and did not have any of the problems that I had with 10.1.

I'm running a late 2013 iMac 21.5".

But you will need to adjust or redo the textures on everything!

Well having not touched Lightwave for at least the last 10 years I am expecting that. I would've had to re-surface anyway in order to render in Mantra. I'm cool with it.

Houdini is a beast on the 10-core iMac Pro... not quite as good as my 32-core Linux machine at work, but more than enough for what I want to do at home. I'm stoked to be able to work on this stuff again.
Old 22nd Mar 2018, 07:41 AM   #26
Rigel

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop

Quote:
Well having not touched Lightwave for at least the last 10 years I am expecting that. I would've had to re-surface anyway in order to render in Mantra. I'm cool with it.

Houdini is a beast on the 10-core iMac Pro... not quite as good as my 32-core Linux machine at work, but more than enough for what I want to do at home. I'm stoked to be able to work on this stuff again.
I've been looking over the iMac Pro and wishing I had $14k U.S.D. to drop on the top end machine.

Another life perhaps!

------------------------------------------------------------
Other Projects

The Universal Joint
Beechcraft 2000 airplane
LadyBug (Firefly class freighter)
Rigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Mar 2018, 01:13 PM   #27
WesChilton
 Gallery

Well, I split the difference and went for the 10-core... its the best bang for the buck performance wise as the clock speed drops dramatically with the increase in cores. And I didn't max out the ram or storage because its not really necessary, 64gb and 1tb are more than enough for what I do, and offline storage is far cheaper and still quite speedy. So in the end I only spent about $7,400 and am still getting one hell of a machine. I'm pretty excited!
Old 23rd Mar 2018, 01:07 AM   #28
Bracer
Registered Member

Gallery
Blender

Quote:
as good as my 32-core Linux machine at work, but more than enough for what I want to do at home. I'm stoked to be able to work on this stuff again.
32 core..........32 core.....using 8550U here.........I am so jelly now.
Old 25th Mar 2018, 02:26 PM   #29
WesChilton
 Gallery

I'm jealous too... I can't afford a $27,000 Linux machine, a priceless amount of custom VFX tools and a 40,000 node render farm at home.

I wish I could do my personal projects at work!
Old 27th Mar 2018, 01:42 PM   #30
Alec Trevelyan
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop

I've still got 9.x but haven't opened it in forever. Don't even know where my dongle is.
Alec Trevelyan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Discussions & Support > The Cafe