Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Techniques, Instruction > 3D
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

3D Tutorials and your questions on your particular 3D application. Or post questions for general 3D help.

Old 17th Jun 2017, 10:54 AM   #1
Crook
Contributing Member

Gallery
LightWave Terragen ZBrush Photoshop After Effects

Default LightWave - Controlling lots of lights at once

I'm doing a B5 nighttime rig for B5, but obviously I want to show the lights coming on. I've got lots of lights, all of different intensities.

What I'd like is one control that scales them all from 0% to 100% of their set values at frame 0, so I can turn all the lights on at once, but have them end up at a designated intensity per light, not just the same intensity throughout.

Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B5_WIP_134.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	84087  
Old 18th Jun 2017, 04:21 AM   #2
doctor49152
Registered Member
 Gallery
LightWave Modo Mudbox Vue ZBrush After Effects Digital Fusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crook View Post
I'm doing a B5 nighttime rig for B5, but obviously I want to show the lights coming on. I've got lots of lights, all of different intensities.

What I'd like is one control that scales them all from 0% to 100% of their set values at frame 0, so I can turn all the lights on at once, but have them end up at a designated intensity per light, not just the same intensity throughout.

Any ideas?
When I've had 100s of lights that I wanted to animate together and separately I've created a single UV map for all the surfaces that emit light. Then I can use a program like AE to create a single animated clip and map them to the surface. Works quite well.
doctor49152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jun 2017, 06:49 AM   #3
Rigel

Gallery
LightWave Photoshop

This can be done with a null and the motion option Cycler. As luck would have it, I wrote a tutorial some years ago on how to do this.

You will need to group the lights according to the intensity you want them at. One null for all lights that go to 50%, one null for all lights going to 83% etc. If you have a few dozen lights blinking in unison, use Cycler and a null then you can animate the null to make the lights blink.

http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=13223

------------------------------------------------------------
Other Projects

The Universal Joint
Beechcraft 2000 airplane
LadyBug (Firefly class freighter)
Rigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jun 2017, 08:59 AM   #4
Crook
Contributing Member

Gallery

I'll take a look at that. Thanks very much
Old 19th Jun 2017, 08:45 AM   #5
tension69
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave Terragen Photoshop

Can always set an envelope for one light in a group, then copy/paste it into all the others selected at once. Takes seconds, no fiddling with cycler or nulls - is how I'd do it.
Old 19th Jun 2017, 03:16 PM   #6
Crook
Contributing Member

Gallery

I'm trying to make it easy for the end user, so you can control the night rig easily and animate it as you like. I think I've got a method using channel follower. One null, move 500mm puts all lights on at 50%. Control all lights on the rig for night time using a single control seems like a half decent solution. It can even scale per light once setup so I can put some lights on at 50%, some at 25% etc, all with the single null.

Now an additional question - IS there a simple way to limit the min / max of a lighty intensity. so, for example if I have a noisy channel modifier on the intensity, I want it to clamp to a minimum of 0, not go through the floor...?
Old 20th Jun 2017, 06:51 AM   #7
tension69
Registered Member

Gallery

Quote:
Now an additional question - IS there a simple way to limit the min / max of a lighty intensity. so, for example if I have a noisy channel modifier on the intensity, I want it to clamp to a minimum of 0, not go through the floor...?
End user.....sounds positive...

Crook, if you double click on the noisy channel modifier, it's control tab opens to the right hand side. You can edit it's magnitude (which is what you want), it's rate (speed of flicker) and phase...the 'shift' which is handy for getting the lights to flicker differently to one another.
Old 20th Jun 2017, 07:20 AM   #8
Crook
Contributing Member

Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by tension69 View Post
End user.....sounds positive...

Crook, if you double click on the noisy channel modifier, it's control tab opens to the right hand side. You can edit it's magnitude (which is what you want), it's rate (speed of flicker) and phase...the 'shift' which is handy for getting the lights to flicker differently to one another.
Yeah, with the noise though it can sometimes push the intensity to be negative. It shows in VPR as a dark patch but I think it doesn't render out with the real camera. I know LW can have negative light intensities, and they render out. I was wondering if there's a way to ultimately clamp the results from 0 to 100% no matter what the envelope and noise is doing. Surely there's a simple way!

I might not add noise in the end - it's not like real lights flicker all the time - but now I can't do it it's bugging me
Old 21st Jun 2017, 09:47 AM   #9
tension69
Registered Member

Gallery

Quote:
Yeah, with the noise though it can sometimes push the intensity to be negative. It shows in VPR as a dark patch but I think it doesn't render out with the real camera. I know LW can have negative light intensities, and they render out. I was wondering if there's a way to ultimately clamp the results from 0 to 100% no matter what the envelope and noise is doing. Surely there's a simple way!

I might not add noise in the end - it's not like real lights flicker all the time - but now I can't do it it's bugging me
Aha gotcha now methinks, had this problem using noise on a laser flare until I was uninitiated.

Set the envelope on the light intenisty, say 0 to 60%
Set the envelope for the flare dissolve inverted to the light intensity (but use 100% to 0%)

Set the noise modifier on the flare intensity you wish (I usually go +/- 10 for laser flares).

When this is done on one light, copy / paste envelopes. My advice, do one get it set right, then copy paste lights into position.

Now when light is at 0, it's just the flare giving the flicker illusion. Job's a goodun.

Old 21st Jun 2017, 06:44 PM   #10
vitruvian
Registered Member

Gallery
3DS Max Blender Cinema 4D LightWave Terragen Paint Shop Pro Photoshop

Nice Light Rig !
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jun 2017, 06:17 AM   #11
ccclarke
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave Terragen Vue Photoshop After Effects Digital Fusion Premiere

Have you considered using Cyclist?

Using Cyclist, you can configure a null object as a controller, and assign limits to it (say 0-100% for light intensity).

In the Graph Editor, use Cyclist to drive the light's Intensity channel in conjunction with Cycler (located under the Modifiers tab).

Easily configured, Cyclist parameters can be copied and pasted to each light in the scene to be driven by the null controller. You only need to set up Cyclist and Cycler once, then copy it as many times as needed. Simple, fast, safe, and fun!

I do a lot of technical animation in my job, and Cyclist is my go-to tool for repetitive motion, saving me time and tedium.

William's ten-minute video walks you through setting up Cyclist with Cycler mentioned near the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mldxQlnawxA

Tear it up!

CC
Old Yesterday, 06:55 AM   #12
Crook
Contributing Member

Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccclarke View Post
Have you considered using Cyclist?

Using Cyclist, you can configure a null object as a controller, and assign limits to it (say 0-100% for light intensity).

In the Graph Editor, use Cyclist to drive the light's Intensity channel in conjunction with Cycler (located under the Modifiers tab).

Easily configured, Cyclist parameters can be copied and pasted to each light in the scene to be driven by the null controller. You only need to set up Cyclist and Cycler once, then copy it as many times as needed. Simple, fast, safe, and fun!

I do a lot of technical animation in my job, and Cyclist is my go-to tool for repetitive motion, saving me time and tedium.

William's ten-minute video walks you through setting up Cyclist with Cycler mentioned near the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mldxQlnawxA

Tear it up!

CC

I've basically got that with channel follower. What's the advantage of using cyclist? Am I missing something?
Old Yesterday, 10:34 AM   #13
ccclarke
Registered Member

Gallery
LightWave Terragen Vue Photoshop After Effects Digital Fusion Premiere

With Cyclist, you can place the controller null onscreen with a specific shape and use it like a slider. Being a null, it won't render.

Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Techniques, Instruction > 3D