Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Techniques, Instruction > Texturing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd Jul 2017, 01:03 AM   #1
amdfe
Registered Member

Gallery
3DS Max LightWave Photoshop

Default Texturing repeated, discontinuous surfaces

After three days of experimenting, searching and reading what few articles I could find, I have to conclude that I just don't understand how texturing works in LW.

I can use a fence to illustrate the problem, as it perfectly duplicates the situation I commonly face:

As with the individual fence posts, I have a series of repeating surfaces. These surfaces have the same name and the same geometry. And just as each fence post is not necessarily equidistant from its neighbors; and maybe the orientation and angle is a bit different from post to post, so too are the surfaces as they appear across the mesh.

Still, I have an image map that I want applied consistently to each fence post. Lightwave seems not to understand this (which is infuriating), and wants to stretch one copy of the image across all instances of the surface, such that each surface instance sees only one part of the image.

So, then, how does one texture a fence with identical--but irregular--posts? I don't know what LW is doing, but why so much trouble to link an image to a repeating surface?

Here's a surface. Is it named "X" ? Good, then apply the damn image and let's move on to the next surface, and if it's named "X" you had better not screw up because you just applied the same image to the same surface a moment ago. Can you tell I'm getting frustrated?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P4250007.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	748.0 KB
ID:	84229  

Facebook | YouTube Channel
amdfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jul 2017, 11:24 AM   #2
David cgc
Premiere Member

Gallery
LightWave Maya Illustrator Photoshop After Effects Shake Premiere

It sounds like you want Lightwave to treat each discontinuous area of polygons as its own object, and you're right, that's not how it works. All polygons within the same lwo file and with the same surface assigned will be treated as one "object" as far as surfacing goes, whether or not they are continuous assemblages of polygons, or even in the same layer. Lightwave doesn't see twelve separate fenceposts, it sees one unit of polygons that happens to be discontinuous.

Anyway, if you want each post to be textured identically, there are several options. Here are a few from worst (in my opinion) to best.

You can give each post it's own surface name (Post1, Post2, Post3...) and manually adjust your wood texture so it fits every one the way you like it. Don't do this.

You can model a single post and clone and move them in Layout, rather than Modeler.

Or, when you model the initial post, you can create a UV map for it which will apply to all future posts you copy-and-paste or duplicate or whatever from it, rather than using the traditional texture projection options. The texture will always stay exactly how you set it, no matter how you duplicate, move, edit, or otherwise alter the object in Modeler. That's probably the best option.

In this specific example, I think the way it turned out looks fine. You wouldn't want every post to be textured identically. There's no tree in the world you can cut so you'd get a dozen posts that all have, say, a knot in the wood three-quarters of the way up, and that sort of thing is really obvious when things are all lined up. If you were getting obvious stretching (say, from using the cubic projection), I'd say to simply adjust the scale of the texture map so it matched the proportions of the image you were using.
Old 23rd Jul 2017, 09:26 PM   #3
amdfe
Registered Member

Gallery
3DS Max LightWave Photoshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by David cgc View Post
It sounds like you want Lightwave to treat each discontinuous area of polygons as its own object, and you're right, that's not how it works.
This!

Thanks, David. I was beginning to realize that equating a surface to an object was foolish thinking on my part.

Facebook | YouTube Channel
amdfe is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Foundation 3D Forums > Techniques, Instruction > Texturing